Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

For the last few months, my sleep time entertainment has been featuring a bag of chips. Specifically. Bluebird chicken flavoured chips.

Like me, these come from New Zealand and are a popular flavour. I currently live in BC, canada and BC does not have chicken flavoured chips. I can't lie, I enjoy my salty potato snacks. I am not overweight, I am reasonably fit and work an active, physical job and I do not eat ridiculous huge portions of chips. I put my chips in a bowl and a bag can last me three days or so. I also have chronically low blood pressure, and my doctor advised me to eat MORE salt last time I saw him. I decided not to actually eat more salt because I get plenty.

Now that the obvious questions are out of the way, let me tell you about my chip dreams.

It started with dreams of a huge mall with a woolworths on the bottom level that you could only get to via a convoluted series of upwards ramps, lending an Escher kind of vibe to the whole thing. I had like three or four of these with the woolworths in, from I guess May or June onwards. Then the chips started featuring in other scenarios. The most recent one had me on a greyhound bus because my husband had somehow hosed up booking flights from LA to NY leaving us not enough time to get to the counter at the airport before the plane left. I guess I was well pissed about this because my husband was not on the bus with me. Lorde (the singer) was on the bus with me and we made friends. Somewhere in a landlocked state the bus stopped for a rest break I guess, and I went into some dingy mini-mart and Lo and Behold. There were the Bluebird chicken chips. I picked up a bag but it took me a long rear end time to find a can of red bull and the bus left without me. The last thing I remember before I woke up was trudging along a busy street with my bag of chips looking for the highway so I could start hitchhiking to get to NY.

Given the tenacity of this drat bag of chips I expect there will be more dreams. I will update this idiot garbage thread when I have the next one.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IT MEEAAAANNNSSSS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm gonna need you to explain just how chips can be chicken-flavored.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
I love you but those look super gross you should try not eating gross things and that should fix your problem.

Alternatively, isn't chicken salt a thing? Maybe put those on regular, good chips?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

detectivemonkey posted:

I love you but those look super gross you should try not eating gross things and that should fix your problem.

Alternatively, isn't chicken salt a thing? Maybe put those on regular, good chips?

Chicken salt is a thing and I have some (lovingly mailed all the way from Australia) and I do put it on popcorn, but there is a subtle difference between retail chicken salt and the chicken chip experience as it is designed for fries. Plus if you put chicken salt on regular chips (even the "lightly salted" ones), you now have double salted chips.

I would honestly love to not be this hung up on chicken chips. Yet here we are. The only other thing I seriously crave from NZ that I can't get here is feijoas - a relative of the guava that is super prolific and cheap in early fall there, but very hard to find and expensive everywhere else.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Also, the feijoas don't literally haunt my dreams.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Antivehicular posted:

It's in the same way ramen can be chicken flavoured. Or stock cubes. I don't know what they put in it, it's probably mostly celery seed and MSG. Which is kinda gross, but the heart wants what it wants. It could be worse, I could be really into Oreos or candy.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Shithouse Dave posted:

It's in the same way ramen can be chicken flavoured. Or stock cubes. I don't know what they put in it, it's probably mostly celery seed and MSG. Which is kinda gross, but the heart wants what it wants. It could be worse, I could be really into Oreos or candy.

maybe this would be a suitable methadone to your chicken chip heroin?

http://www.junkfoodguy.com/2011/08/11/classic-thursdays-chicken-in-a-biscuit-baked-snack-crackers-jury-duty-movies/#sthash.dOW5o4Rr.dpbs

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

I have actually searched for this at all four of the supermarkets in my lovely lil town, and also in supermarkets when I happen to be elsewhere in bc and I cannot find them. I'm pretty sure they are similar to arnott's chicken crimpy crackers.

Chicken as a flavour for stuff is as ubiquitous as salt and vinegar where I come from and i am way more bothered than is reasonable that it doesn't seem to exist anywhere I can drive to from my house. Which is admittedly not far, the highway is 25km in either north or south from my west coast town, and you can only go east for so far before all the roads become dirt roads, then logging roads, then roads my car can't do... And then mountains and wilderness. It is like living on an island.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

No edit: the north end of the highway is The End Of the Highway but you can still get to some islands by barge or private boat, and the south end is a ferry to the rest of the world.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Chicken flavoured crisps are amazing you deprived colonials

January
Jul 5, 2009
Did you ever get to eat the chips in your dreams or just carry the bags around?

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Do you have these in BC? They're pretty good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Close enough.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

gentle pete posted:

Do you have these in BC? They're pretty good.

Ugh Old Dutch are the worst

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
You're being dream-advertised to like in Futurama.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Maybe it will happen soon op? It seems chip manufacturers, at least in the states, are starting to go nuts with new flavors. I saw pepperoncini the other day/

Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!
It is more expensive than buying them off the shelf in a store but you can always have them shipped to you: http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/categories/food-beverage/food/snacks/potato-chips-bluebird-originals-150g#.Ve4pe5dXnIU Or maybe someone you know from NZ can send them.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If they are Chicken Chips why is there a Penguin on the bag

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Antivehicular posted:

I have some friends that worked on Lay's last ad campaign and they ended up with all sorts of flavors that were never meant to be released. This last weekend I got to try lobster roll flavored Lay's.

BoobFarts
Apr 14, 2014
that's not a chicken that's a penguin.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
its way worse to be salt deficient than it is to eat too much salt. you never hear about it because its like extremely rare but come on dude eat some more chips

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Penguins are the second best animals ever (to chipmunks), so if someone wants to send me a bag of those chips, that would be pretty cool, thanks!

I will probably start dreaming about them now too...

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011
just chiming in to say chicken chips are gross and you should eat a better flavour, like bbq for example (bbq samboys yeah you know what i'm talking about kiwi)

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

chicken chips are gross but what the hell are bbq samboys

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

Chicken salt is a thing and I have some (lovingly mailed all the way from Australia) and I do put it on popcorn, but there is a subtle difference between retail chicken salt and the chicken chip experience as it is designed for fries. Plus if you put chicken salt on regular chips (even the "lightly salted" ones), you now have double salted chips.

I would honestly love to not be this hung up on chicken chips. Yet here we are. The only other thing I seriously crave from NZ that I can't get here is feijoas - a relative of the guava that is super prolific and cheap in early fall there, but very hard to find and expensive everywhere else.

Chicken Bisquits, if you can find them. They are just goddamn delicious if you can't find your Chicken Chips

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

Secks Cauldron posted:

It is more expensive than buying them off the shelf in a store but you can always have them shipped to you: http://www.shopnewzealand.co.nz/categories/food-beverage/food/snacks/potato-chips-bluebird-originals-150g#.Ve4pe5dXnIU Or maybe someone you know from NZ can send them.

It might come to this tbh. Postage from NZ is absolutely horrendous and my parents just had a reduction in income due to my dads health so I'm not going to bug them to send me frivolous bags of chips. My sister sent me some chocolate from home recently which was well decent of her and a total surprise.

I can't find chicken in a biskit here, and I have scoured all the supermarkets in town. Repeatedly.

Lol. I can't even hate you cause I would do exactly this if I were reading this thread. Eat a jelly tip for me ok? Jelly tip trumpet also acceptable.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

its way worse to be salt deficient than it is to eat too much salt. you never hear about it because its like extremely rare but come on dude eat some more chips

I cannot possibly be salt deficient, I love my salty snax too much. More salt is just the default advice for hypotension I guess.

BoobFarts posted:

that's not a chicken that's a penguin.

The penguin is the company's mascot. I dunno why, cause while it is a bird, it definitely isn't blue.

Robbie Fowler posted:

just chiming in to say chicken chips are gross and you should eat a better flavour, like bbq for example (bbq samboys yeah you know what i'm talking about kiwi)

Samboys are loving awesome and BBQ is a good flavour that I also really enjoy, but isn't featuring in my dreams. I had some nice applewood smoked BBQ kettle chips from Miss Vickie's today. They're really nice.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The old ms vickies mesquite bbq were the best chips ever

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Shithouse Dave posted:

The penguin is the company's mascot. I dunno why, cause while it is a bird, it definitely isn't blue.

I never thought about it like that, that makes it even weirder since blue penguins do exist and they could have just made the penguin blue.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Shithouse Dave posted:

Lol. I can't even hate you cause I would do exactly this if I were reading this thread. Eat a jelly tip for me ok? Jelly tip trumpet also acceptable.

If you're still fiending in December, I can probably mail you a small bag when I go back to the US. Gotta be honest, though, these are pretty gross. Nothing tastes better than nostalgia.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
My aunt moved away from Baltimore to a city where they don't have Utz so for her birthday every year we shipped her an absurd amount of them and also made sure to have a giant bag at our house when she came to visit.

Welp, that's more story about chips thanks for listening.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm this and when people bitch about my salt intake, I tell them my blood tests have always shown low-normal sodium levels.
And then they call me a liar. :(

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

A healthy human body has no problem getting rid of excess salt. It's made to filter stuff like that continuously to keep an overall balance with changing activity levels, hydration etc. Your kidneys are essential to regulating your electrolytes and blood pressure, and under normal circumstances, they won't have any problems dealing with salt.

It's only when people are unhealthy (obese, diabetic, etc) that salt intake becomes an issue, and not because your kidneys lack the capacity to filter it any more but because they are already totally overloaded having to filter syrupy sugar blood all the time, and your entire circulatory system is being shredded by your acidic sugar blood, and your cells are locked shut so poo poo starts building up in your blood (and over time your kidneys also get shredded and can no longer filter things as effectively) etc

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I got some wasabi flavored Triscuits today, they're pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

• Locked thread