Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I don't know when they were added, but the 'Indigo Nights' and 'One Nite Alone... Live/One Nite Alone... The Aftershow' sets are available to buy on Tidal now. I'm fairly sure they've been streaming only since they were added to the catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I need to mention again that I'm not a big Prince-head. But I'm really glad you posted that concert review, and that it was a good show. My most personal connection to it is really First Avenue, a place where I have grown friendships, flirted with girls who I went there with, and listened to musicians from all over the world. I understand how petty and provincial this might sound, but I'm glad that some of the public grieving for our own weirdo genius happened in one of the places that the man himself lit up so many times, even if I am a bit too young to have even had the chance to experience it. Prince's generosity toward his hometown and the surrounding area is both a documented phenomenon and the stuff of legends, and in that way it is appropriate that part of his loss be mourned and celebrated here, as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I need to mention again that I'm not a big Prince-head. But I'm really glad you posted that concert review, and that it was a good show. My most personal connection to it is really First Avenue, a place where I have grown friendships, flirted with girls who I went there with, and listened to musicians from all over the world. I understand how petty and provincial this might sound, but I'm glad that some of the public grieving for our own weirdo genius happened in one of the places that the man himself lit up so many times, even if I am a bit too young to have even had the chance to experience it. Prince's generosity toward his hometown and the surrounding area is both a documented phenomenon and the stuff of legends, and in that way it is appropriate that part of his loss be mourned and celebrated here, as well.

Interesting.

You post a lot in this thread so I assumed you were a fan but I guess it's mainly because you live up there and felt Prince's impact, yes? If you don't mind, how old are you? What music do you like? Who are your favorites? If you can think of one single musician that might die this year that would seriously impact your life, who would it be? Odd that Dylan is even older than Prince and from the same area but never gets mentioned in that aspect.

Also, go become a Prince head post haste because the guy kicked so much rear end on the regular. every. loving. day.

The man was a god damned music machine and I aint just talking about the hits. A lot of really great stuff never made its way to the radio or into commercial avenues and his catalog is absolutely endless. I've been a fan since 83 and am still discovering new tracks. His death left a giant vacuum that I'm not sure can ever really be filled, at least for me. I'm sure someone can do it but, unlike yourself, I'm too old to know or even speculate who that might be. I'm sure every old guy like me says the same thing whenever their root, go-to musician passes - the one that defined their youth and fired them up when they were chasing sex and losing their virginity - discovering who they are, etc.

For me it was Prince. He awakened me and showed me what was possible outside of lovely old Wilmington, Delaware. Black/White/Straight/Gay/Funk/Rock/Disco, etc.

I felt like I had really discovered something and, as his legend grew, I felt somehow validated for latching onto "1999" and never looking back. That album owned me and I still discover new layers and things in it after several hundred listens, remaining astonished to this day that he did it all himself, overdub by overdub. The Purple Rain album hit and that was it. Hearing "When Doves Cry" for the first time was like a shot of heroin. Losing my virginity to "I Wonder U" from Parade...I took the entire ride until the day he died and never regretted it.

I remember one time asking my best friend back in 1983 or 84 , "do you think we'll still be listening to Led Zeppelin when we're old?" and he said "Sure. My parents listen to the same music they did when they were kids." Turns out he was right. For some reason I thought when I got old I was automatically going to suddenly break out the Henny Youngman, Elvis and the Sinatra records, never realizing that the reason my elders STILL listened to that poo poo is because it reminded them of their youth, when they were sexually charged and full of spunk.

I'm genuinely curious if this generation (and I hate to sound like a washed up "get off my lawn" grouch. I don't mean to) latches on to musicians and artists in that same way. Music, it seems, especially as I age, is for the young. For the record (heh), I'm 49.

Jesus Christ, that was long. Sorry. I just love(d) Prince. Carry on.

TL/DR: Prince is amazing and I miss him terribly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think Dylan gets mentioned as much as Prince when it comes to Minnesota guys because he didn't really stick around in the same way Prince did. Or even reach the height of his powers while he was here. It wasn't really until he hit the East Coast that he became a thing. Prince you would see driving around in his purple limo, he would go see movies at local theaters, you might even see him riding his bike around Paisley Park, and he threw open to the public house parties there on a semi-regular basis. Dylan lives in fuckin' Malibu. We still have that big mural of him downtown, but I've never really thought of him as a Minnesota dude in the same way Prince was.

I'm only 29 myself, but my earliest memory is actually watching Batman '89 at one of my aunt's houses. Specifically the scene where Nicholson trashed the art museum while listening to Partyman. This is one of the reasons I went to film school, and even though I didn't really dig into his discography until I was a teenager, Prince was always there because of that, too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

This thread got me bouncing on You Tube and I stumbled on "Judas Smile". drat that song is thick. The entire Chocolate Invasion album is criminally underrated.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One thing that was kind of surreal was I visited Minneapolis the weekend he passed away, and holy poo poo were there a lot of tributes in and around the city. I went to First Avenue for a show with friends (Melvins/Napalm Death/Melt Banana) and they had pictures up all around the club....which isn't that surprising, because he used to own the place. But I saw all kinds of electronic billboard ads, some of the companies looking to horn in on the situation had to have acted FAST. I went to Electric Fetus, and a local news outfit were asking around, asking people if they'd ever bumped into him there, and they asked employees what records he'd bought there (kinda curious about that myself, to be fair). And as Paddy from D4 pointed out, it was pretty cool to hear Darling Nikki on the radio at 3pm.

Also my favorite Prince song is absolutely Sometimes It Snows in April, personal reasons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Me and a group of friends went to Paisley Park the night of his death and the tributes were already filling up the entire wall by the time we got there. We also went to First Ave after, as they shut down the whole block so people could gather, and it was covered in tributes as well. Most of the billboards, the electronic ones anyway, just had photos of him up.

I love that he's the only non-silver star on First Ave now, but I still kinda wish they painted it purple instead of gold.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
no reason to pm this one. just jam out and enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hI4n4yOc0

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One thing that was kind of surreal was I visited Minneapolis the weekend he passed away, and holy poo poo were there a lot of tributes in and around the city. I went to First Avenue for a show with friends (Melvins/Napalm Death/Melt Banana) and they had pictures up all around the club....which isn't that surprising, because he used to own the place. But I saw all kinds of electronic billboard ads, some of the companies looking to horn in on the situation had to have acted FAST. I went to Electric Fetus, and a local news outfit were asking around, asking people if they'd ever bumped into him there, and they asked employees what records he'd bought there (kinda curious about that myself, to be fair). And as Paddy from D4 pointed out, it was pretty cool to hear Darling Nikki on the radio at 3pm.

To respond to BiggerBoat, this is why I even know this thread exists; if you click my "?" you'll see I didn't post here until a month and a half after the death. I don't think I can accurately describe what Prince meant to Minnesota without spending a couple hours writing an essay, but there are a couple of themes that stand out to me. One is that he embodied (or at least, we projected onto him) several traits and values that run deep in our collective conscious, such as: independence, challenging the status quo by creating new things and ideas, following one's vocation, and working hard to achieve mastery of said vocation. Another big one is that many people appreciated the ways in which he was loyal, gracious, and generous to his home state. He lived here, threw pajama dance parties for the public at Paisley Park (serving everyone pancakes in the morning), secretly made charitable contributions to an unknown number of things, and was always dialed in close to the local music scene (e.g. see his ultimate compliment to Gayngs at their First Ave show). And there is the simple fact that he was Prince, meaning he was the coolest person who lived (and might ever live) here, and it's a cool feeling to wake up every morning and know that one of your neighbors is an eccentric, mysterious genius who is one of the world's greatest living musicians.

So his death really hit everyone here hard, even those of us like me who are only familiar with the hits. And like the quote here says, there have been tributes everywhere. The city of Minneapolis turned the lights on the 35W bridge purple, something I don't think they've ever done for remembrance of a person. The Current (radio station) went full-Prince for days afterward, every other local station playing his music too, DJs and people calling in with stories all bawling their eyes out. Murals went up, someone "vandalized" his star on the wall of First Ave by painting it gold (all the stars are silver), anonymous graffiti tributes sprung up in nooks and crannies everywhere, people built shrines and put purple flowers by the sidewalk in front of their houses, all of this in mourning in remembrance. And it hasn't stopped, either: the Wild (NHL) are going to use Let's Go Crazy as their goal song this year after it won in a poll of fans, and just yesterday I was on a light rail train that had a full purple ad-wrap featuring a huge photo of Prince for some tribute event. The only other death I can think of that affected people remotely as much was when our US Senator Paul Wellstone died in a plane crash, and I feel like that was nothing compared to this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A vinyl test press of Camille is being auctioned off.

http://www.rrauction.com/bidtracker_detail.cfm?IN=589

Anybody got a spare 6 grand?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 9, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The official tribute show has me a little worried about how they're going to handle his legacy.

quote:

On October 13th 2016, fans from around the world will have the opportunity to band together and celebrate the remarkable life and music of the legendary Prince at The Official Prince Tribute. The Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN will be home to this incredible event which features an all-star line up of icons and friends including Stevie Wonder, Christina Aguilera, Chaka Khan, John Mayer, Tori Kelly, Anita Baker, Doug E. Fresh, Luke James, Bilal, Mint Condition along with Prince’s inner circle, Morris Day & The Time, Judith Hill and Liv Warfield. The New Power Generation (NPG) led by Morris Hayes, along with and members of 3RDEYEGIRL, will perform all songs.

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2016/0...irl-to-perform/

NPG as the backing band for a variety show cavalcade of guests. Eh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, I don't care about most of those guests. Like the only people I want to see there would be Stevie, Mayer, The Time, and 3RDEYEGIRL. No Revolution or Sheila E, what the gently caress? It seems to me like they should have just gotten as many acts who actually worked with or were associated with him as possible instead of like...Christina Aguilera, for some reason.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I think I heard on the radio that Janelle Monae will be there too

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
New vault outtakes leaked.

[1980.06.00] Rough (5:34)
[1981.00.00] Strange Way (1:52)
[1983.12.27] The Glamorous Life (Prince version) (8:05)
[1984.00.00] Roadhouse Garden (3:27)
[1985.05.26] Come Elektra Tuesday (4:19)
[1985.12.30] Give Me Yo' Most Strongest Whiskey (1:03)
[1986.00.00] Mia Bocca (5:26)
[1986.07.08] Eggplant (5:15)
[1986.08.08] Make Your Mama Happy (1:29)

The Glamorous Life (Prince version) Roadhouse Garden, Come Elektra Tuesday and Eggplant are all gems.

There's also a 26 minute soundcheck version of Hallicination Rain (really 7 minutes of the song and 19 minutes of soundchecking). And a new 4DaFunk soundboard release of https://princevault.com/index.php?title=12_December_1994 that I've been unable to find yet.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 19, 2016

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

^^^Those were great.^^^ I really really dug "Roadhouse Garden". You can feel W&L influence on it. Might have fit in nicely on Parade. "Eggplant" is just strange. Not sure I like it but it fits right in as an outtake. It's like weird fuckarounds like "Billy's Sunglasses" or "Cloreen Baconskin". I'm loving all the stuff that's leaked since he died. If there's a silver lining to it, it's been no more YouTube police.

Aside: Prince fans are losing their god damned minds with this ridiculous idea that he was intentionally murdered. I'm getting angrier and angrier combating this nonsense and angry with myself for letting it get me angry. If anyone wants, I'll post a link to the board/thread I'm posting on and you can either get a chuckle or join in and bring some sanity to the table.

If Helldump were still around, it'd be ripe for a callout.

gently caress it. Here it is. The FOURTH iteration of "We're Through the LOOKING GLASS; Prince Was Murdered/Open Your Eyes an Wake Up"

http://prince.org/msg/7/432376?jumpto=9707658#msg_9707658

These people are nuts and, worse, think they're smart.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^Those were great.^^^ I really really dug "Roadhouse Garden". You can feel W&L influence on it. Might have fit in nicely on Parade. "Eggplant" is just strange. Not sure I like it but it fits right in as an outtake. It's like weird fuckarounds like "Billy's Sunglasses" or "Cloreen Baconskin". I'm loving all the stuff that's leaked since he died. If there's a silver lining to it, it's been no more YouTube police.

Eggplant is pretty funny. Reminds me of his Time work or something like Vibrator. Plus the last half of the song is just awesome.

And there's not one but three new releases from 4DaFunk. From The Soundboard: Roseland Ballroom, From The Soundboard: The Palladium and Peachy: Soundcheck for the MTV Europe Music Awards. All from 94.

Palladium has some mixing issues and there's some parts where they have to use an audience recording. Haven't gotten the Roseland one in yet. Roseland thankfully doesn't seem to have those issues. Only issue is Endorphinmachine is incomplete. Ow, spoke too soon. Now has some horrible feedback or some type of weird noise that's horrid to hear with headphones. So these releases aren't the goldmine I was hoping for but it's cool to hear some new music. I've been jonesing for it since things quieted down after Prince's death.

Release Date Never still holds the title as best bootleg from 1994.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 20, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Any recommendations for soundboard concert recordings? I have the major ones like City Lights, Atlanta 80, Carolina 81, 8-3-83 Rehearsal, Noon Rendezvous Rehearsal, 1984 Birthday Show, Orange Bowl Miami Soundcheck, 4 Those Of U On Valium, Paris 87, Park Cafe Aftershow 87, The Trojan Horse Aftershow 1988, Release Date Never, LA 61, Inglewood Forum, Montreux 2013.

--------------

Also his family announced another celebration.

https://twitter.com/PRNFamily/status/780233457167282176

Andre Cymone, Liv Warfield & Judith Hill

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

off topic but i giggled that that super classy event space is like two blocks from sex world

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

off topic but i giggled that that super classy event space is like two blocks from sex world

Everything in downtown Minneapolis is pretty close to sex world, seeing as sex world is right smack in the middle of it, and like a block away from the train stations and all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone go Paisley Park this week for the opening? I'd love to see it one day once they get their poo poo together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've already been on what I assume is that same tour during the last series of house parties held there, but once the crowd dies down a bit I'll probably head out. Didn't do this weekend though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody go to the official tribute concert? Sounds like it was an amazing show. Here's the setlist.

Mint Condition: America
Mint Condition: D.M.S.R.
Mint Condition: When Doves Cry
PA Prince: New Power Generation
PA Prince: It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night
PA Prince: Head (half)
PA Prince: Race
The Time: The Bird
The Time: Jungle Love
Speech Bobby Z. with video snippets of Prince
The NPG backing band (Morris H, Cassandra, Kirk J, Donna G, Levi Seacer, Mike Scott, Ida N, Elisa F, Marva K, 7 horns, The Twinz) :
Uptown by Andre Cymone
Erotic City by Shelby J.
Hot Thing by Liv Warfield
Kiss by Marva King, Donna on funky guitar
Anoterloverholenyohead by Kip Blackshire
Speech by Tyka
Nasty Girl by Nicole Scherzinger (Ida on bass)
Baby I'm A Star by Nicole Scherzinger (Ida on bass)
Do Me, Baby by Luke James (MonoNeon on bass)
The Most Beautiful Girl In The World by Luke James (MonoNeon on bass)
video snippets of Prince playing The Christ
The Cross by Judith Hill
How Come U Don't Call Me Anyone by Judith Hill on piano, full band.
The Ladder by Andre Cymone and Cassandra (Ida back on bass)
Cream by Elisa Fiorello & The Twinz
Bass jam by Ida and Morris Hayes, leading into The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker sung by Andre Cymone
Pop Life by Andre Cymone and Doug E Fresh
Housequake by Andre Cymone
video snippets of Prince
After A Long Journey by Ana Moura
Walk In Sand by Ana Moura
Little Red Corvette by Ana Moura
The Final Mile by Ana Moura
Betcha I by Chaka Khan
Sweet Thing by Chaka Khan
I Feel For You by Chaka Khan and Stevie Wonder on harmonica (no vocals)
1999 by Chaka Khan and Stevie Wonder both on vocals

Intermission (Prince music on PA)

Pt 2 with Michael B on drums:

Pretzelbodylogic by Shelby J with Ida and Donna
Wow (The Unexpected) by Liv Warfield with Ida and Donna
The Beautiful Ones by Bilal
If I Was Your Girlfriend by Bilal
Musicology by Shelby J with no less than 5 bass players, solo by MonoNeon
Belly dance/sword act by Mayte solo
7 by the biggest backing vocal singer and Mayte
Computer Blue by Andre Cymone, also on guitar
I Would Die 4 U by Marva King and 10 dancers
Sexy M.F. by Tony M and Levi Seacer. Mayte and Kirky J dancing.
Gett Off / The Roof Is On Fire / Push It Up by Doug E Fresh and Mayte
Sometimes It Snows In April by Elisa Fiorello
Girls & Boys by Marva King and the great horn section
She's Always In My Hair by Kip Blackshire
Controversy by Andre Cymone
Doug E Fresh interlude
Let's Go Crazy by Tori Kelly and The Twinz, guitar end solo by Mike Scott
Diamonds And Pearls by Tori Kelly
Take Me With U / Raspberry Beret by Stevie Wonder on vox and keys, Tori Kelly on backing vox. Stevie got a blackout forgetting the lyrics of the 2nd verse.
I Wanna Be Your Lover by Jessie J with guitars by Mike and Levi.
Nothing Compares 2 U by Kip and Jessie J
Someday We'll All Be Free by Stevie Wonder
Superstition by Stevie Wonder & The NPG
Stevie Wonder jamming on his Marcodi instrument, Levi jamming too.
Superstition Keyboard jam ending by Morris Hayes
Purple Rain by Prince vocals over the PA backed by Michael B, Morris, Cassie, Mike and Levi

30 minutes https://www.periscope.tv/w/1dRKZRwVXOoKB

also lol tony m https://www.instagram.com/p/BLgoBC_hTQA/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 14, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

All the reviews I've seen made it sound like it was a confused mess of a show. Several of the acts pulled out at the last minute, and with a few exceptions like Wonder it was disappointing.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vince MechMahon posted:

All the reviews I've seen made it sound like it was a confused mess of a show. Several of the acts pulled out at the last minute, and with a few exceptions like Wonder it was disappointing.

You should watch the 30 minute clip I posted. Mint Condition and The Time killed it. I was pretty worried when the event was first announced and it's still surprising that the estate didn't tape the event but that tribute - on paper - seemed to be perfect for Prince. I'm sure he would have been proud of that setlist compared to a variety show for TV with Christina Aguilera or John Mayer.

(Also it's really encouraging that the estate seems to have embraced the dirty side of Prince that he distanced himself from later in his life)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 17, 2016

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm sure the time was great. It's a shame they only let them play two loving songs. But his ex wife really needed time to do her sword routine I guess.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm sure the time was great. It's a shame they only let them play two loving songs. But his ex wife really needed time to do her sword routine I guess.

A full audience recording finally released. I can see how people were exhausted considering it's nearly 5 hours long.

Hearing Tony M back is about as hilarious as it sounded on paper. And Tyka Nelson sung For You acapella which was :psyduck:

But I'm really hyped at how 90s Prince centric it was. When they finally start releasing concert soundboards, hopefully they'll lean heavy on that super funky period.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

A full audience recording finally released. I can see how people were exhausted considering it's nearly 5 hours long.

Hearing Tony M back is about as hilarious as it sounded on paper. And Tyka Nelson sung For You acapella which was :psyduck:

But I'm really hyped at how 90s Prince centric it was. When they finally start releasing concert soundboards, hopefully they'll lean heavy on that super funky period.

I'd love to hear some live recordings of the "Exodus" material. "The Good Life", "Return of the Bump Squad", "Hallucination Rain" and "Big Fun" would be sick live. Plus the title track.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd love to hear some live recordings of the "Exodus" material. "The Good Life", "Return of the Bump Squad", "Hallucination Rain" and "Big Fun" would be sick live. Plus the title track.

Check the place. A soundboard from a soundcheck leaked and it has a 6 minute version of Hallucination Rain with a blistering guitar solo. Pretty cool stuff.

Return Of The Bump Squad (Live) was featured on NPG Music Club #2. Such a fun song. I'd love to hear a longer version from a different performance if one exists in the vault.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Have any of the Revolution shows from First Ave last month gone up anywhere yet?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Remastered deluxe edition of Purple Rain coming early 2017 along with a second disc of unreleased material. This is what I've been waiting for.

http://pitchfork.com/news/69180-prince-purple-rain-reissue-greatest-hits-album-announced/

There's also yet another greatest hits package coming next month. One previously unreleased track, nothing from after 1995, and it includes Batdance, which must be a first for Prince compilations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Creature posted:

Remastered deluxe edition of Purple Rain coming early 2017 along with a second disc of unreleased material. This is what I've been waiting for.

http://pitchfork.com/news/69180-prince-purple-rain-reissue-greatest-hits-album-announced/

There's also yet another greatest hits package coming next month. One previously unreleased track, nothing from after 1995, and it includes Batdance, which must be a first for Prince compilations.

I like 'Moonbeam Levels' a lot, but its an odd choice to go with first, maybe because it's family friendly enough.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

DrVenkman posted:

I like 'Moonbeam Levels' a lot, but its an odd choice to go with first, maybe because it's family friendly enough.

It's probably because Prince already prepped it before his death. He's been teasing it's release since the NPG Music Club days and he performed it live after he signed the new WB deal.

Nothing Compares 2 U is such a strange closer. Hopefully it isn't the live duet version from The Hits/The B-Sides. That would be such a dud of an ending.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 21, 2016

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's probably because Prince already prepped it before his death. He's been teasing it's release since the NPG Music Club days and he performed it live after he signed the new WB deal.

Nothing Compares 2 U is such a strange closer. Hopefully it isn't the live duet version from The Hits/The B-Sides. That would be such a dud of an ending.

Yeah that's a weird one to close with. He did record it way back in 84 but it was never released. Having said that, you would think that the press release would announce it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A free pop up museum opened in the Mall of America to promote the Paisley Park tours. They don't have a ton of stuff there, but they do have some pretty cool stuff. His suit from the Rock and Roll HOF when he threw that guitar into the air that never came down, the suit from the Raspberry Beret video, his Superbowl guitar, his original notebooks from Graffiti Bridge, his shooting script from Under the Cherry Moon, and some other outfits/memorabilia. If you're in the area and a fan there's basically no reason not to check it out. They're of course also selling merch, I picked up a t-shirt and one of the tour books they're also selling at Paisley Park.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Apparently Warner already has a new Prince album.

https://twitter.com/drfunkenberry/status/793159988747182080
https://twitter.com/drfunkenberry/status/793223909726224384
https://twitter.com/drfunkenberry/status/793265949721845760

Which makes me curious about the Purple Rain remaster because, from what I heard, he only turned over the album. No bonus tracks. No extras. (which is why Warner didn't release it on the anniversary)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Nov 2, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The soundboard from Worcester 1985 finally leaked. It sounds a bit weird but it's cool to have another full show.

- edit It's a fun one. Guitar Jam is a really heavy guitar riff that Prince cuts off and says 'that music only works when you're stoned, see?' and during Possessed he messes with the band by calling for 25 on the 1 (normally it's like get 3-4 stings) and after he says 'I got 100 and 50 dollars a piece saying I get all of you tonight. Yes you. Lisa, I'm gonna get you. Bobby, I'm gonna get you twice. Doctor Fink, I got you. Brown Mark, I'm gonna get you 8 times. Wendy, forget it.'
- edit 2 Oh god, he calls for 63 on the 1 :laugh:

quote:

Let's Go Crazy
Delirious
Little Red Corvette
Take Me With U
Yankee Doodle (instrumental) interlude
4 The Tears In Your Eyes
I Got Some Help I Don't Need
When You Were Mine
Guitar Jam
Free
Do Me, Baby
Head
Still Waiting
I Feel For You
Something In The Water (Does Not Compute)
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Irresistible Bitch
Possessed
How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore
God
Computer Blue
Darling Nikki
The Beautiful Ones
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Baby I'm A Star
Purple Rain

Also would you guys like to see a new thread with a less stupid title?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also would you guys like to see a new thread with a less stupid title?

Yes. I considered starting one of my own that focuses more on the man and his music than the Tidal thing.

"Prince4Ever" bums me out. We already have "The Hits/The B-Sides" and "Ultimate Prince". At least Ultimate had some extended tracks. This thing just looks boring; no recent tracks at all.

Personally, I'd like to see a proper live album released. Maybe even a triple set. The ONA box set was kinda meh. A proper retrospective of his live material from each decade and choice cuts from some aftershows would generate more interest I think. Who doesn't already own "Kiss", "1999" and "Let's Go Crazy"?

Prince's live legacy has not received proper documentation IMO. I've heard rumors about Piano & Microphone stuff being released but I'm not huge on that either. I want the funk with the guitar out front in the mix. Make it an all live 3 - 5 disc box set with a Blu Ray compilation covering several eras, similar to what Zeppelin and Rush have done.

• Locked thread