Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Midday, 6th of Goodmonth, year 267 of the Current Era
Southwest of Gale

A light rain falls as you stand on the road between Gale and Seaburg. On your right, you can see the trail split off for Hirane and disappear into the treeline. Even here, you can see that the trail is little better than two worn ruts in the ground from merchants and supply wagons. In the dark, it would be easy to loose the trail and find yourself in the wilderness proper, but at least the steady traffic over the years has kept back the vegetation and smoothed the ground on the trail somewhat.

The treeline isn't leading into one of the great forests of the east, but it's still the edge of a sizable forest in its own right, and you can hear the sounds of nature drifting back to you over the soft patter of rain on the tree leaves. Somewhere on the roughly 30 miles of trail between where you are and Hirane, Grigor went missing, and you've agreed to find him. Maybe it's for the gold, maybe to reunite a family, maybe just to have something new and exciting to do, but for whatever reason, the six of you find yourselves in the same place.

The next step is yours.

~

As long as you're on the road/trail, you have no modifier to your travel rates.

Let me know what your speed, marching order (front/mid/back ranks), and activities are. As a reminder, if you're doing a specific activity, you're not looking out for danger so you don't get a passive Wisdom (Perception) chance.

~

Normally, a post from me will have at most three parts, the IC part at the top, an OOC part immediately after for anything I need to communicate OOC, and finally a subhex map or history update as needed. Since this is the OP, it has a bit more in it.

For your posts, please make sure you include your character name in a header for each post, as especially early in the game it can be easy to forget who is playing which character. Also, in your first post please include your character sheet and, as you level up and things change, make changes to that character sheet. You don't need to track equipment or HP or anything on these, but when you level up you should update the sheets to reflect your new levels. You might find it useful to track HP in your character name you include at the top of posts, but that's not required. Also, anything you want to say OOC can be dropped into an italicized section at the end of your post, that way we're not maintaining two threads.

Below, I'm going to maintain information about the characters (including linking to your character sheets, which is why I'd like them to stay updated in the first post), a subhex map of the immediate area with points of interest, and a history of events in the game. This History section will have anything that directly affects your characters, or important world events.

In addition, any time you move to a new hex I'll include the new subhex map in my next post, much like below, and I'll include historical updates as appropriate throughout the game. Basically, this first post is going to be a summary, but you shouldn't need to constantly refer back to this post.

~

The party is currently in subhex 07005, right where the trail for Hirane branches off from the main road.

01004 – The Village of Hirane

The village of Hirane sits on the northern shore of the Storm Sea. It is not independent, but is owned and operated by the city of Gale. Gale's administrator in town is Reeve Malark Turen, and Hirane's main business is exporting fish and barley to the city of Gale. Rumors suggest that the supply received in gale has been lessened of late due to bandit activity in the area.

01008 – The Battle of Storm Sea

Decades ago, a naval battle drifted into the shallow waters off the coast. Ships on both sides had their hulls ripped out by reefs in the low tide, and the skeletons of their ships still rest just below the waters. Some claim that on nights when the moon is full that the ships sail still, but below the water, and drag down unwary sailors to join the crew.

03009 – The Town of Seaburg

Seaburg is a bureaucratic hellhole of a town. It's independence is assured due to the heavy trade that comes through its ports, but the competing shipping families has locked the city down into a nightmare of red tape. It's well known for the canals that take the place of streets along the waterfront.

09003 - The Town of Gale

Gale is run by the ruthless dwarf, Hlin. She is greedy and smart, a dangerous combination that saw her cast out of her clan long ago. She took control of Gale a few short decades ago, and has pushed for Gale to dive deeper into the hills around for precious metals. A new vein of gold was recently struck, and has led to rising tensions in the area by all who would possess the golden vein.

09007 – Immeral Keep

Three years ago, a mage named Immeral constructed a keep in between Gale and Seaburg. He asked no permission, and all attempts to make him swear allegiance to Gale or Seaburg have failed. No one knows why he built his keep there, what he spends his time doing, or what his long term plans are in the area, but he represents a new and dangerous addition to the local politics.

The Northern Kingdoms

The party is currently in hex 15013.

This is the big map of the world as you know it, and as such it's not super detailed. Towns (like Gale and Seaburg) are marked by a simple black dot, cities by a black dot with a circle surrounding it, and capitals of larger political powers by a starred circle. Smaller villages like Hirane and other small communities do not show on this map, and only major roads are shown as well.

There are five kingdoms, for lack of a better word, with their borders marked by the dotted line. In brief, they are:

The Realm of Nionyamen (Capital Hex 08008)
The Republic of Formene (Capital Hex 23008)
Egland, the Kingdom of Orbs (Capital Hex 12009)
Forlonde, the Realm of the Golden Throne (Capital Hex 14016)
The Principality of Beloreg (Capital Hex 06025)

The dark border on the west and north edges is, literally, the end of the world. You can travel there, but it's impossible to truly map what happens at the end of the world, so maps usually just mark the edges with a dark section.

~

Characters - Players

Crixom Elbereth - odinson
Duerrak Thragath - Haschel Cedricson
Glink Gemtooth - NovaLion
Naeryn - Auraboks
Silvarin - Epicurius
Syntarna - Rarity

~

History

267 CE
28th of Reaping - Grigor Marsk goes missing on trail from Gale to Hirane.
5th of Goodmonth - PCs are hired to find Grigor by sister, Tana

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin HP 9/9

"Here we are, the road to the urban paradise that is the metropolis of Hirane. I don't suppose any of you have any idea on how to start looking?", Silvarin asks. "It seems like a lot of ground to cover. I suppose our first step is to get to Hirane and ask the boy's sister and his friends about him?"

Anybody have any idea on marching order?

pre:
Name: Silvarin 
Race:  Half Elf
Class: Bard
Level: 1

HP:  9
AC:  13
Init:  +2
Proficiency: +2

Alignment: Chaotic Good
Background: Entertainer (Instrumentalist, Singer)
Languages: Common, Elvish, Goblin 
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

STR: 10 (+0)
DEX:  15 (+2)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT:   12 (+1)
WIS:  10 (+0)
CHA:  17 (+3)

Skills

Acrobatics
Performance
Deception
Persuasion
History
Insight
Nature

Tools: 
Disguise Kit
Flute
Lute
Shawm
Bagpipes

Saving throws: Dex, Cha

Personality Traits:  I tend towards the causal, quick with a joke or quip.  I'm a gossip, eager both to hear
 and spread stories.
Ideal:  I want to find a place to settle down.  A place I can call my own, with people who are for me
Bonds: I owe everything to Gil.  He took me in and taught me. I'll do anything he asks.  Additionally, I want
 to find my father I don't want anything from him.  I just want to know who he is.  Does he know he has a son?
  Does he care?
Flaws:  I'm slow to trust, and don't like revealing my true self to others.  I'm more likely to hide behind
 the masks I make

Features/Proficiencies

Darkvision
Fey Ancestry
Skill Versatility
Light Armor
Simple Weapons
Hand Crossbows
Longswords
Rapiers
Shortswords

Equipment:

Lute
Entertainer's Costume
Love Letter from Admirer
Rapier
Bagpipes
Leather Armor
Dagger
Entertainer's Pack
15 gp

Spells:

Cantrips:  Dancing Lights, Vicious Mockery

1st level: Charm Person,  Sleep, Healing Word,  Disguise Self

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rarity posted:

Syntarna

Half-Elf Rogue
23 years old
Chaotic Neutral

HP: 8/8
AC: 14

STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 10 (+0)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 17 (+3)

Attacks:
Rapier +5 Attack, 1d8+3 piercing
Shortbow +5 Attack, 1d6+3 piercing, range 80/320
Dagger +5 Attack, 1d4+3 piercing, range 20/40

Background: Entertainer (dance, seduction)
Darkvision, Fey Ancestry, By Popular Demand
Languages: Common, Elvish, Sylvan, Thieves' Cant
Skill Proficencies: Acrobatics, Deception (Expertise), Insight, Investigation, Performance, Persuasion (Expertise), Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Equipment: A rapier, a shortbow and 20 arrows, a burglar's pack, leather armour, two daggers, thieves' tools, dance costume, perfumes, a bracelet trinket with Elvish script, 15gp

Appearance: Syntarna's looks are the most favoured weapon in her arsenal. Tall and slim, with a shock of long white hair and deep green eyes, she would stand out in a crowd even without her distinctive half-elven features. Her right thigh is accentuated with a twisting tattoo of a thorny vine. Whether seducing information out of a merchant or easing the suspicions of a city guard, she knows her looks can be far more effective than spell or blade.
Personality Traits: Syntarna has a taste for the finer things in life and will blow through all her hard-earned spoils knowing another score is always just around the corner. She dislikes staying in one place for too long, preferring to move on before she feels too comfortable.
Ideal: "Live Free"
Bond: Syntarna has never held loyalty to anyone but herself, save for one person: her dead lover, Matteus. He lies buried on a hill above her childhood village, Wetstone.
Flaw: Fiercely independent and solitary, Syntarna has a general distrust for others, especially men.

Spots of mud flecked at Syntarna's boots as she surveyed the trail that stretched ahead. She thought back to the warm hearth of her room in the inn at Gale. It had been one of the nicer establishments she had passed through in recent times: exotic food, comfortable beds and staff that were easy on the eye. Such luxury seemed far away from her current surroundings. She drew her cloak up from her ankles, trying to protect it from the dirt. It had been a gift from one of her recent companions. Stellan? Piotr? She couldn't remember who. The name wasn't important anyway. What mattered was the fine embroidered trim, the soft silk lining, the deep green tone that complimented her fair skin. Yes, it was a beautiful cloak and it would not do to have it ruined by the weather.

If she had her way she would still be back in that inn, relaxing under crisp sheets with a glass of its finest wine. But that would have been costly and sometimes her companions baulked upon seeing the expense of her lifestyle. Especially when they hadn't realised they'd been paying for it. Marten Kadshear was not the kind of man to take such surprise kindly. At least, not judging by the pair of thugs that had jumped her on her way back from his mansion last night. That was just a taste of the influence he could bring to wield. The metals he exported from the Gale mines were in demand throughout the land, he was able to charge top price for his business. Exactly the kind of man she was drawn to. Exactly the kind of man she shouldn't be. Strange how much her fortunes had changed in twenty four hours. Of course, it wasn't the first time. Syntarna was an expert at making a quick getaway.

But did fate have to lead me here? she asked herself. Surely it could have found some... cleaner options. Roughing it was not one of her favoured pastimes. Oh, she could put up with a bit of rustic if she had to - sometimes it was necessary - but each time she uttered silent curses and vowed to catch an even bigger dragon next time to make up for it. The next one will have to be gigantic. Maybe a baron? Yes, she would rather be just about anywhere else than here. But then, the opportunity had just been too good to pass up. Join a team of adventurers to track down some idiot who'd got himself lost in the backwaters. Her ears had pricked up as soon as she heard it. She'd just been passing through, slinking down an alley on her way out of town when a conversation had drifted out of a window nearby. It was perfect, she needed to disappear before Marten caught up with her and this was an excuse to leave the city without anyone taking note. Even better than that, should his men track her on the road she would have a bunch of "allies" who would leap to her defence.

Most women would have felt uncomfortable being alone in a group of men. Syntarna was not most women. She would have them eating out of her palm soon enough. She hadn't yet met a man she couldn't manipulate. Or elf or dwarf if it came to that. While they busied themselves with hunting this man that was already likely bones in some animal's den, she would ensure she had their loyalty until there was enough distance between her and Marten that she could slip away. Now if only something could be done about this rain, she grumbled inwardly. Her face remained set in focused contemplation. "So," she said, "We're sure that our quarry made it this far, aren't we?"

------

OOC: Would Syntarna and Silvarin recognise each other as half-elves or just assume they were pure human/elf?

Rarity fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 7, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You know that Grigor travelled as far as the crossroads you're currently at in the company of a group headed for Seaburg, so this is literally the last place he was seen.

~

You definitely know, everyone does. Half-elves are obvious, not as big as humans but bigger than elves.

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 7, 2015

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn

Travel! Friendship! Adventure!

Okay, so it wasn't quite an adventure yet. And yes, they'd only known each other for a few days so far, and the rain did put a damper on the whole "wondrous journey" thing. That stuff was all temporary, though. No doubt the sun would shine tomorrow!

"You know, I bet Grigor just got lost in the woods. That happened to me alot when I first left home." Naeryn smiled brightly at his soon-to-be friends. "If we keep our eyes peeled, we'll find him safe and sound, I'm sure of it!"

For marching order, I'd suggest putting Naeryn up front, Syntarna and Glink in the middle, then Silvarin in the back. Crixom and Duerrak go one in front, one in back. Squishy ranged people get protection on both sides, and Naeryn acts as a lookout with his comparatively high Perception.

pre:
Name:	Naeryn
Class:	Monk
Race:	Wood Elf
Background: Monastic Adept

Ideal: Charity
Bond:  Everything I do is for the common people.
Flaw:  My sheltered upbringing often leads me to blindly trust those who seem to have things in common with me.

I've spent so long in the monastery that I have little practical experience dealing with people in the outside world.
Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.

Level:		1
HP: 		9
AC: 		16
Initiative:	+3
Prof Bonus:	+2

Alignment:	Lawful Good
Languages:	Elvish, Common, Dwarvish, Draconic
Size:		Medium
Speed:		35ft

STR 	10 	+0 (proficient)
DEX 	17 	+3 (proficient)
CON 	13 	+1
WIS	16 	+3
INT	10 	+0
CHA	8  	-1

Features:
Darkvision, 60 ft
Fey Ancestry
Trance
Mask of the Wild
Martial Arts: d4

Skill Proficiencies:
Acrobatics
Athletics
Insight
Perception
Religion

Other Proficiencies
Woodcarver's tools

Longsword
Shortsword
Longbow
Simple weapons

Equipment:
Quarterstaff
10 darts
Explorer's pack
5 sticks of incense
Scroll of martial techniques
Clothes
15 gp

Attacks:
Quarterstaff:	+5, 1d6+3 bludgeoning
Unarmed:	+5, 1d4+3 bludgeoning
Dart:		+5, 1d3+3 piercing, range 30/120

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin

"Didn't you grow up in the woods? I guess the saying that an elf can't get lost in the woods is a myth, after all."

I'm good in the rearguard.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Seriously? Syntarna thought to herself. Did I really just hear that? Naivety was more than just a human trait, it seemed.

"Let's hope you're right, Naeryn" she agreed, "That way we can hope to find him safe and sound." There, that should sound like just enough concern.

-------

Sounds good to me.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Duerrak Thragath

It had been a long time since Duerrak had been away from Gale for an extended length of time. Luckily, he wasn't alone; with safety in numbers he was sure that they could avoid whatever pitfall had caused Grigor to disappear.

Nature (Marsh): 1d20 13

"I hope he's in the woods. If he's not then we're like to find him in that marsh!"

Rolling Nature to see if I know anything about the marsh in 04006

quote:

Name: Duerrak Thragath
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Level: 1

HP: 13
AC: 16
Init: +2

Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Criminal
Languages: Common, Dwarfish, Thieves Cant
Size: Medium
Speed: 25ft

STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 10 (+0)
CON: 16 (+3)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 15 (+2)

Skills

Athletics +5
Deception +4
Intimidation +4
Stealth +2

Tools:
Smith's Tools

Saving throws: Str, Con

Personality Traits: I am more comfortable as second-in-command than as leader; being the brains of an operation is hard work best left to others.
Ideal: Teamwork - Everybody has a different role to play, but they all combine to accomplish great things.
Bonds: I grew up hearing tales of Bromdir Gravelbeard, the famous dwarven thief-acrobat, and consider him one of my heroes.
Flaws: I am convinced that I will someday be a master thief, despite my obvious lack of aptitude.

Features/Proficiencies

Darkvision
Dwarven Resistance
Fighting Style - Great Weapon Fighting
Second Wind
Bad Reputation
Armor
Shields
Martial Weapons

Equipment:

Dark Clothes
Crowbar
Maul
Handaxe (x2)
Rapier
Chainmail
Set of Dice
Burglar's Pack
Bedroll
15 gold

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

Glink Gemtooth

How uncomfortable, all these people in all this light. How do they all stand this? And they're so noisy, all the time. And the air is so thin...and the mud is so deep...

Distracting as his thoughts could be, Glink kept it all to himself. Taking this job could lead to answers, and he was never one to shy away from that opportunity.

--

Glink would probably stay towards the middle of the group.

pre:
HP: 8 /8		Initiative: +2			Superior Darkvision
Perception: 11		Investigation: 15		Insight: 11

Spellcasting Ability: Intelligence      Save DC: 13 	Attack Mod: +5
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
Prepared Spells: Mage Armor, Ice Knife, Sleep, Fog Cloud
------------------------------------------------------------------------
M

NovaLion fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 10, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The marsh in hex 04006 is a saltwater marsh, a place of low land where the Storm Sea has overtaken and mixed with the land. The trail to Hirane skirts the northern edge of the marsh, and with good reason. Throughout the marsh, footing is treacherous and solid ground is a luxury. Sinkholes and quickmud will suck people under the surface if they are not careful. Plants grow low, and tangle the feet of people walking the marsh.

And then there are the inhabitants. In the south and the west, the sea mixes much more and it's not uncommon to get the occasional report of a shark in the shallow waters. A clan of bullywugs has taken root in the marsh as well; Gale will occasionally send soldiers to kill the bullywugs, but they mostly just kill a few stragglers and leave the bloody marsh as fast as they can, and bullywugs spawn in large numbers every year. And there are reports of larger and stranger beasts in the marsh, signs of a large predator that moves in the deeper parts of the marsh at night.

~

The marsh would count as difficult terrain for moving. As you move southwest in the marsh, you get closer to the "coast," but in this case the coast and the sea have overlapped, which formed the marsh. It's very similar to a mangrove swamp. actually, now that I think about it, it is a mangrove swamp, just without the actual mangrove trees.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

I talked with odinson via PM, and he got slammed by work yesterday and today. He should be making an intro post soon, but he mentioned in the PM that he'd be fine taking point, if that's what you want.

Based on time of day and a normal pace, you can be through the forest subhexes and into the edge of the marsh hex by nightfall if you don't stop for anything along the way, just as an FYI about distance and time today. Not trying to push you that way.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Crixom Elbereth HP:12/12

odinson posted:

Name: Crixom Elbereth
Class: Paladin

Background: Soldier. Specialty: Infantry
Feature: Military Rank
Personality Traits: I'm full of inspiring and cautionary tails from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation.
Ideal: Might. In life as in war, the stronger force wins.
Bond: I would still lay down my life for the people I served with
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning

Height: 6'2
Weight: 172
Alignment: NG
Background:

Crixom was raised in a missionary dedicated to Frey near Hirane. The half-elven friar there was a huge part of his upbringing as his father died in the formative years from a bandit raid. Since its inception, the missionary had dealt with the rough ordeals of the world. Not just bandits; but pirates, territorial battles, and the random strange beast that wandered a little too close to civilization that threatened the faithful commonfolk. The missionary wasn't specifically built with martial recruitment tendencies, but it was unsurprising when one raised there went on to further the cause directly . Education and civics had their place alongside the teachings of the evils and dangers of the world (and how to combat them). Friar Marcon taught him the basic tenets of Frey and his ideals, along with the language of his mother's people. As he reached manhood, he decided to take up Frey's cause in a more aggressive fashion, as they were so crucial in his upbringing and they truly spoke to his heart. With a letter of recommendation from Marcon, he began his basic training with the Myrmidons of Frey.

The past 12 years have not been all combat, all the time, but I have definitely seen some things. As a youngling I was quick to pay lip service to Frey. However, in my heart, I was more in debt to my community and Friar Marcon. As time went and I rose in the ranks of the Myrmidons. I learned the differences in when to direct others with a poisoned or honeyed tongue. Fighting and bleeding side by side with my brothers in arms over the years has hardened me physically and mentally, but has only recently started to awaken me spiritually. It was on a simple escort mission. We were ambushed by werewolves. I thought they only came out at night?! The horses were the first to sense them. Jittery and wild eyed they all tried to bolt in separate directions. By the time we got over the initial confusion and grouped them all together we were cornered and outnumbered. Corralled even. But some had been picked off in the chaos. Things were looking hopeless. With a swift whispered prayer followed by a righteous shout, our battle priest Muradin stopped the foul beasts in their tracks. That holy burst of energy was the turning point in the battle and for me as a person of true faith.

After a good respite from that hectic ordeal. I was assigned to a simple I/S/R (investigate/search/rescue for the lay man) assignment for an old ally of Muradin's. A "friendly acquaintance" may be the more proper term, but whatever. Muradin vouched for her, so I'll do my best.

Ability Scores: Human +1's to STR and CHA
STR: 16
DEX: 8
CON: 14
INT: 8
WIS: 10
CHA: 16
HP: 12 (10+Con)
AC: 16 (Chain Mail)
Speed: 30'
Initiative: +Dex

Saving throw proficiencies: WIS / CHA
Skill Proficiencies:
Insight + Persuasion [Paladin]
Perception [Human]
Athletics + Intimidation [Soldier]

Tool Proficiencies: Gaming set , vehicles (land) [Soldier]
Languages: Common, Sylvan

Features:
Feat: Polearm Master (Human Variant)

Divine Sense:5/lr:know location & type of any celestial,fiend or undead in 60ft.
Lay on Hands:Palx5 Health Pool (5). 5pts cures 1 disease or poison.

Starting Gold: 210; 80 Remaining
Equipment:Glaive (20), Chainmail (75), Holy Symbol (5), Explorer's Pack (10), 10x Javelins (5) Shortsword (My Soldier trinket forged with a handle, 10), Healer's Kit (5)

BG: Insignia of rank (Blue-bladed signet), Trophy taken from fallen enemy (Lycan Fang), set of bone dice, common clothes, belt pouch containing 10gp
trinket: A vest with one hundred tiny pockets trinket: 1d100 36

Crixom Elbereth

Somewhat embarrassed by his un-Frey like tardiness, Crixom speaks up.

"Well, we know his group was eventually headed for Seaburg and they at least made it this far, correct? I believe that backtracking to Hirane or an unknown marsh would be detrimental in our search for Mr. Marsk. Perhaps continuing towards Seaburg or even checking the Town of Gale for clues.
-
Comfortable with taking point in the marching order. This is my first pbp game, so it'll take me a few days to work out bbcodes, formatting, and whatnot. Feel free to let me know here or PM's with any stuff you'd think is helpful.

odinson fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 9, 2015

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn

"You know, Silvarin, I was surprised too. But the forests around here are so much denser than the ones near the monastery! And there aren't any huge mountains to use as landmarks, either."

At least this forest had something road-like to keep them from getting lost. Although that apparently hadn't helped Grigor any. Hmm.

"So hey, are we gonna get going?"

~

My understanding is that Grigor was going from Gale to Hirane, and just happened to share the road with some people going to Seaburg. That's why they split up at this crossroads. I think we got hired in Gale, too, so going Hirane-wards would not be backtracking. Clarification?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

"I think we can be safe in assuming he made it this far. This road to here was well-patrolled. I expect if we want to find success in our endeavour we will need to take the paths less travelled." Particularly the ones that led away from Gale. "My suspicion is we will find him onward." There, that was taken care of. Just one order of business left. She turned towards the elf and flashed him an admiring smile.

"You seem to have braved many dangers," she told him, "Perhaps you should be the one to take point? I would feel safe with your eyes and ears at our head."

----

Yeah, that was my understanding as well.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Yes, sorry for any confusion, Grigor's trip was to leave Gale with a group headed for Seaburg, but his final destination was Hirane. He split off from the group here, at the crossroads, to make the final leg of the journey alone.

This is the last spot he was seen, and somewhere between where you are at and Hirane he disappeared. The larger group made it to Seaburg without incident. You were hired in Gale.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You set out onto the trail, quickly finding yourself surrounded by the forest. In here, the leaves are thick enough that the light rain can't reach the ground, although the soft pitter-patter in the treetops and the smell of dampness let you know that the rain continues. The trail is rough, but you manage to stay on it with little problems. Occasionally an exposed tree root snags at Syntarna's prized cloak or Glink has to jump over a particularly deep rut, but compared to the walk in the rain earlier this is almost pleasant.

As you cross a small stream about a mile in, Naeryn gets his first inkling that something is amiss. He can hear the soft trickle of the shallow stream bouncing on rocks, but for a moment the splashing had been almost rhythmic, like quick steps. It's soon after that he recognizes that the party is being shadowed; a short figure is darting ahead of the party between and within the trees on the right, while a crouched, stalking beast of some kind is keeping pace with the middle of the group on the left.

Naeryn is the only one who has noticed them, and they do not yet know they have been noticed. What do you do?

~

It seems like everyone wanted to follow Grigor's path (even if I wasn't as clear as I could have been on which direction he went!), so to move things along I posted the party moving forward into the forested area in subhex 06006. As for marching order, based on what you'd suggested in the thread and via PM we have:

Front Rank
Naeryn
Crixom

Middle Rank
Syntarna
Glink

Back Rank
Silvarin
Duerrak

The figure Naeryn sees on the right is about 45 feet away, while the beast stalking on the left is about 55 feet away. Only Naeryn's passive perception beat their stealth, hence why he's the one who sees them currently.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

The monotony of the march has focused Crixom's thoughts inwards instead of focusing on his surroundings. He keeps himself entertained with thoughts of previous battles and how they could have gone differently.

e**
Thats all I can really do right?

odinson fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 10, 2015

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn

Well, Uncle Daenwyth always said you should never let yourself be led around by a human. This must have been what he meant: stay at the front of the group so you can protect your non-elven friends!

After noticing the figures, Naeryn hesitated for a moment. He thought about calling out, but no one else seemed to be reacting to them, so... maybe that would be a huge faux pas? Better ask, just to make sure.

"Pst, Crixom," he whispered, nudging his companion. "Do you know why that guy on the right is hiding? And do you think that's his pet over on the left? Should we say hello, or...?"

~

Naeryn is probably not a very good whisperer. Feel free to overhear.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Syntarna tensed up at the sound of Naeryn's words. They were being... watched? Followed? Had Marten's men found her so soon? Impossible, she had worked hard to cover her tracks. But maybe... She forced her worries away and pretended she hadn't heard. Time for the menfolk to do the talking.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Duerrak

"Heh, this job may be even easier than I thought. You all think that might be Grigor?"

I made an IRC room #6against on SynIRC if people are interested.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

As the party begins to talk, you don't see any sign that your shadows know they've been discovered. With the sound-diffusing leaves and the sounds of rain above, there's little change of the words you're saying being overheard unless you shout.

~

An irc channel's a great idea, Haschel. Duerrak gains Inspiration for a solid OOC move!

Oh, and unless you start talking loud or make an aggressive or overt move, there's no chance that any of the NPCs will recognize you know they're there.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin

"I don't think so. If it were Gregor, he'd see us and come to us for help, not follow us." Silvarin's hand tightens on the hilt of his rapier. "This is stalking."

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

"How do you guys feel about slowly altering our pace more to the left side of the trail. Maybe we can get close enough to the beast to surprise and subdue it?"

Having some roommate drama right now. Will be on here or in IRC in a few hours

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Syntarna's hand tightened on her bow. She had no taste for combat, even if sometimes it couldn't be avoided. Her eyes darted around, looking for spots to which she could safely retreat.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

FYI, Nova's having connection issues, should be resolved by Monday but for now it's hot or miss as to whether or not he'll be able to post regularly. I'd need be,I'll run his character, but for now he's following your lead.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Crixom

Deciding to go the more tactful approach, I stomp the butt of my glaive in the ground and bellow out. "Stop! Who goes there? Come out peacefully and signal your furry friend to mind its manners."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Syntarna managed to keep herself from holding her head in her hands. I'm surrounded by idiots.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

At Crixom's demand, the figure stands..., well, she's a dwarf, so she doesn't stand tall, but more erected. At this distance, you can see she has short-cropped brown hair with red petals woven through it, and carries a strong looking bow, made of thick wood and simple angles.

She looks at the party, and Crixom in particular, for a moment, and says, very clearly, "Well, poo poo."

Her gaze turns to the woods behind you. "Shadow, Pig, avantĕ!" The beast you saw before, revealed now to be a great wardog, bursts from the undergrowth and runs towards the dwarf. And so does the other wardog, the one you were as yet unaware of, hidden not ten feet to the rear of the group.

Satisfied her dogs were following, the dwarf turns tail herself and runs father from the trail, zigging between the trees. She's heading towards the forest's edge, not heart.

Crixom, you recognize the significance of the flower petals; it indicates membership in a local bandit group you've run into before. Some say they're rebels fighting Gale oppression, others say they are just common bandits, but they've been suspected of recent raids both in Hirane and Gale.

Anyone who speaks Elven recognises the word avantĕ; it means to reconvene or to return. And the dwarf pronounced it dreadfully.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn

Oh, she was hiding because she was a bad guy? Well, that changed things. You don't talk to bad guys until after you beat them into submission — Naeryn's father had been very clear about that.

"Come on," he yelled over his shoulder as he took off after the dwarf. "She's got tiny dwarf legs, we can catch up!"

~

This is a sound tactical decision. I don't see how it could possibly go wrong.

e: Rolls, as per below

Giving chase - Dexterity (Athletics): 1d20+5 16
Initiative: 1d20+3 7

Auraboks fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 11, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The dwarf runs, and Naeryn chases. This simplifies things greatly. Now, you just need to decide, do you also chase?

~

There are going to be three groups, those who close the gap with the dwarf, those who try but lag behind, and those who are not really chasing at all.

Everyone who is actively chasing, give me a Strength(Athletics) or Dexterity(Athletics) check, pitted against the dwarf's rolled 13 result. If you're not, let me know that as well.

And then, to save time, roll Initiative.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Did he...? Is he...? Syntarna sighed. Naeryn was racing ahead, footsteps lightly picking their way through the brush. The dwarf was simply looking out for her and her own. Now that she'd been scared off let her find more a beneficial target. This was so unnecessary. Naeryn's back retreated ahead of her. Should she follow him in the chase? Take steps to bring this bandit to justice? She mused over the question for a second.

Eh, why bother?

-----

Initiative vs. Bandit: 1d20+3 6

Not chasing!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

"Hey, stop badmouthing dwarven legs! We can run just fine, thank you very much!"

As if to prove his point Duerrak takes off after the two.

Athletics (Chasing): 1d20+5 16
Initiative: 1d20 8

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Sorry to interupt the chase for a moment, but I'm almost complete with a secret project that ties to this game (which I will reveal at the end of this encounter), and as part of that project I found that I needed to change the map one last time. Below is the new official hexmap for this hex, as well as the official legend of all maps I produce. Ok, back to watching men chase after dogs and dwarf women!

odinson
Mar 17, 2009

Giving Chase - Athletics (STR): 1d20+5 9
Initiative: 1d20 17

As one of the wardogs passes by, Crixom swats at it with his glaive, but is a little too off balance to connect.
Wardog Attack: 1d20+5 10

Crixom quickly relays some information about the "rebel" bandits to his compatriots and bolts after the dwarf.

odinson fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 12, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The dog Crixom swings at gives a good, long snarl at being attacked, but his duty is clear, and he doesn't deviate from his path following the dwarf woman.

~

odinson asked about an opportunity attack since he has 10' with the glaive, and it made sense so I gave it to him. No one else had a dog pass through a threatened area, though. Just luck of positioning and weapon choice. Also, odinson just made a preemptive strike on a puppy, and is a monster.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin

This was almost certainly a trap. Almost certainly, because it was possible that the dwarf was just scared. After all, she didn't expect to be seen, and now she was, and was outnumbered too. But still, even if it wasn't a trap, and she was running to the rest of the bandits, who knew how many bandits there would be? Even though some of the rest of his band gives chase, he doesn't join them. After all, if those giving chase are captured, somebody has to be free to try to rescue them.

Initiative: 1d20+2 13

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The dwarf curses when she sees Naeryn and the others giving chase. She changes directions to run towards a large oak tree. With a leap, she grabs at a thick branch and begins to pull herself up.

But she should have picked a larger branch, as with a snap it deposits her back to the ground, prone. Her dogs circle her briefly, then place themselves between her and you and growl.

The dwarf stands and snarls herself. "Fine. Let's do this." Her hand blurs to her quiver and two arrows leap from her bow, one each at Crixom and Naeryn.

Attack: 1d20+4 17 1d8+2 10

The first slams into Crixom, vibrating in a chink in your armor, and you can feel blood running down your skin under the armor.

10 damage to Crixom

Attack: 1d20+4 21 1d8+2 5

The second arrow catches Naeryn in the left arm, tearing a large gash down it before tumbling away to be lost in the brush.

5 damage to Naeryn

Glink moves up, ensuring that he'll be in range to use his magics against any enemy in subsequent rounds.

~

Given Nova's connectivity issues, we'll say he's not chasing and I rolled initiative for him.

Initiative: 1d20+2 20

Initiative Order

Mystery Dwarf - 22
Glink - 20
Crixom - 17
Silvarin - 13
Duerrak - 8
Naeryn - 7
Syntarna - 6
Dogs - 3

This is a small encounter with little interesting in terrain, so no need for a map.

For everyone who chased and beat a 13, you are in range to move into melee with the dogs and attack in a single move. You can make it to melee with the dwarf in a double move (or a charge), but the first person to move past the dogs to reach the dwarf will incur an opportunity attack. Only the first, though, as the dogs aren't holding a disciplined line and you can just follow the first person.

For everyone who chased and failed to beat a 13, you can reach the dogs in a double move, but can't reach the dwarf in a single turn. Ranged weapons aren't at a penalty for range.

If you didn't chase, you are 150 feet away from the dogs when we start, 175 from the dwarf. You'll need to move up even for most ranged options.

Crixom, you're up!

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Crixom Elbereth HP:2/12

Crixom makes a deep sigh and lets loose a quick curse under his breath. Trying to not let on how badly he's been hit. Even so he saunters forward a bit (~15') to get in range at lets loose a javelin. It buries itself deep into its hide. Feeling like he's proved his point, he moves back a bit (~15'), in attempts to somewhat group up with the rest of his ragtag team.

Attack (Javelin) Dog 1 (the one I swiped at): 1d20+5 25
Damage (Javelin) Dog 1 (crit): 2d6+3 13

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The javelin struck very deep, and the dwarf shouts, "Pig!"

The dog is still in the fight, but looks like a stiff breeze could knock him over.

Silvarin, you're up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin

Silvarin sighs. He should have given chase. drat it! Why does he second guess himself. Now the fighting is going on without him. Cursing some more, he runs towards the fight.

Running towards the dwarf and dogs. Trying to close range.

• Locked thread