Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...
Silvarin follows Glink towards the fight, soon outpacing the gnome.

~

Just an FYI, if your turn doesn't require anything from me based on the last turn, feel free to take your turns without seeing a post from me. No reason to sit and wait for me if it wouldn't change your actions.

Duerrak, you're up!

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Duerrak
13/13 HP

Duerrak continues his chase all the way up to the dogs. Lumbering his way towards the dog that was not hit by the javelin, he pulls out his maul and delivers a blow square to the dog's side.

Attacking Dog (Shadow): 1d20+5 14
Damage: 2d6+3 8

"We can do this the easy way, or the you-have-no-more-dogs way. Throw down your weapons."

EDIT: Pasted in Initiative die roll for some reason. Also, while I assume I can talk for free, I can't roll Intimidate unless I use my action, correct?

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 13, 2015

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Shadow whines as the maul slams into his side, and you're sure you feel a rib crack from the impact.

The dwarf glares at Duerrak, and says a single word. "Arręte." Both dogs react to the word, and while their lips and ears are still pulled back you get the sense of barely controlled violence, not outright aggression. The dogs temporarily under control, she speaks to Duerrak directly. "I throw down my weapons, what's to stop you from taking me to face the 'justice' of your bitch boss, Hlin? You chased me, you attacked one of my dogs, and if you think I'll go quietly to the gallows you're mistaken."

For those whom speak Elven, arręte would loosely translate to stop, but very loosely. Again, it's a strange word to use, and it's pronounced horribly by the dwarf.

~

You're right, the Intimidate check requires an action. Luckily for you, they'd already failed two out of three morale checks and were going to try and stop the combat on her turn and/or just turn tail and run on the dogs' turn anyway.

Combat is paused; any aggressive actions and it will start right where we left off in the initiative order, with Naeryn.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Syntarna sighed in relief as she watched the dogs back away from her companions. The dwarf had done nothing to them yet they had launched a full scale attack on her without the slightest provocation. She couldn't work out if their intentions were evil or just stupid. But now that the initial rush of bloodlust had faded she could convince them there were more... delicate ways to handle such matters. Breaking into a sprint she raced towards the others. "Hold, friends!" she yelled. She knew she was too late, but it was for the dwarf's attention more than anyone else's. "Hold your weapons lest things get out of hand! Stranger, we mean no harm!" She continued running onwards, hoping her fellows would have the sense to wait for her to speak.

----

I figure I'm too far away to immediately join the conversation but I should probably be doing the talky part.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The dwarf looks to Syntarna as she approaches. "Then you've a funny way of showing it! Tell why you're here, continue your attacks, or piss off, but choose one of the three quickly. I can not best you all, but two of you have tasted what I can do in dying."

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

Syntarna found it hard not to smile. This dwarf had fire in her belly, that was undeniable. Turning over her options in her head, she thought about the best way to handle this. From her words she could tell the dwarf was on the run and suspicious of being chased. Syntarna felt herself feeling a slight sliver of sympathy. She saw a lot of herself reflected in this stranger. So, then, she thought, What would I say if I needed to convince myself? Taking a deep breath, she opened herself and did something she rarely did. She told the truth.

"I'm sorry for any hurt we have caused you and yours," she apologised, "I'm sure our healers would be willing to tend to any wounds we have caused. We have recently been hired to hunt down a man who has gone missing somewhere nearby and when they saw you some of my companions got a little... exciteable." She glared at Crixom pointedly. "Hlin is the magistrate of Gale, I believe? None of us hold any affiliations to that region. We're merely travellers on the hunt of our quarry so that we can keep paying our way as we go. We have no quarrel with you and there is no sense in needless fighting. So how about we all take a breath and then see if there's anything we can do to help each other?"

I think I'm doing this skill roll right :ohdear:

Persuasion (Dwarf): 1d20+7 22

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn
4/9 HP

So she wasn't a bad guy? Naeryn's first hunch had been right!

"Oh, wow," he said, setting his staff down and relaxing out his fighting stance. "This has been a huge misunderstanding! You were stalking us, so we kind of thought you were evil, plus, my uncle always said you can't trust anyone who doesn't speak proper Elvish."

Though that particular bit of wisdom was starting to seem increasingly wrong.

"It's pronounced 'arręte', by the way," he helpfully added. "You shouldn't roll the R's like that."

Oh, there was Syntarna catching up. Maybe it was best to let her do the talking?

~

Getting a few words in before diplomacy commences. I'm helping!

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The dwarf rolls her eyes at Naeryn. "I'm not speaking Elvish, nit, I'm speaking Dog. Not my fault if you can't tell the difference between the two. Speaking of," her gaze drops to the dogs again, and you can see her wincing a little at their injuries, "spermü." The two dogs walk gingerly back to the dwarf, and she kneels down to help Pig with the javelin in his side.

As she works, she alternates between soothing the injured animal and the party. "Six of you, armed and clearly dangerous, and you're saying you are not employed by Gale? That's a little hard to believe. Who's this man you seek?"

For Elvish speakers, spermü means... well, it's dirty; look at the word, and I think you can guess what it means. But it's clear that the dogs responded to the word as though it meant something else. And as before, the word is not pronounced accurately at all.

~

Yep, you did that just fine, Rarity!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Duerrak
13/13 HP

"Man's a soldier named Grigor; disappeared somewhere around here. We got a few ideas where he might be. Perhaps he got lost. Or perhaps somebody else found him before we did. Somebody else who would try to hide from any would-be rescuers, and then run away at the first sign of being found. Don't suppose you've seen anybody like that around here, have you?"

Intimidate: 1d20+4 18

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You can see the dwarf react to the name Grigor, and it seems she may have been about to say something, but as Duerrak's not-so-subtle threat is made her face clouds, and she turns her face back towards Pig, working the javelin head carefully towards the surface.

"Aye, i know a few people like that around here. Maybe some day I can introduce you to them, but none would know about this soldier you seek."

~

Just as explanation of the reaction, she's still hostile and you need a 20 to get things from her with a conversation check. You came up short, which is why she shut down the way she did.

Another thing to note is that once you roll for something, you need to dramatically change the circumstances to roll for it again. Rarity's roll got this conversation going, and let you talk more or less amiably about who you are and she is if you ask, but Haschel's check ensures that any help she may have given you about Grigor specifically now won't happen without you doing something dramatic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

"Easy, Duerrak," Syntarna soothed, "This girl is not our enemy." She's like to be a lot more sensible than any of this lot, that's for sure. "Take no care for our mission," she told the dwarf, "We can manage on our own." She had noticed the recognition on her face at the mention of Grigor but hopefully a refusal to pry would put her at ease. "At any rate could we get your name and your reason for being in this forest? As I said, we're unfamiliar with these lands, any information we could get would be of help."

----

Anyone feel like healing a cute puppy? :v:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

With a grunt of effort, the dwarf pulls the javelin from Pig's flank. "My name is Gudfu. Gudfu Bersidotr."

She pulls a clump of what looks like dried moss from her belt and pops it into her mouth, chewing slowly. The whole time, her free hand has been stroking the dog's back. "As for my business here, I watch. More than that isn't important."

She spits the moss out and presses it into Pig's wound. "I'd recommend not tarrying in the woods; you'll not find your missing soldier here."

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn
4/9 HP

That was absolutely Elvish, and the fact that she called it a dog language was frankly insulting. But... maybe it would be best not to argue the point. Especially if she thought that was a word to use in polite company.

Instead, Naeryn decided to be quiet and just listen. Was there something she hadn't said? The important things could be so easy to forget.

~

Is she lying or hiding something?

Insight: 1d20+5 24

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gudfu has yet to tell the party an outright lie, but she's not sharing everything she could. Possibly due to the rather... violent introduction your party and she had. but it doesn't seem like she's trying to hide anything specifically about Grigor; before Duerrak's threat, she was even about to share more with you about him. Her reticence applies more to who she is and why she is in the forest. and there's a clear feeling of wanting you all gone, away from her and her dogs.

~

So there's someone that could be either alive or dead, and I can't decide which way is better. So I'm making it up to you! Gudfu uses Elvish to command the dogs because that is how they were trained. The person that trained them, are they still alive or are they dead? First person to answer decides the trainer's fate!

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Alive! Seems more interesting than a dead mentor, anyway.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Alive it is! You won't see the effect right away, so nothing changes during this coversation.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

You see that the wound in Pig's side has slowed bleeding from the moss treatment, and Gudfu walks over to kneel by Shadow. As she stands, Pig gives her hand a lick as though in thanks for the treatment.

~

Gudfu has nothing she wants out of this coversation, so once she's done tending to the dogs she's going to (try to) leave. You can leave whenever you wish, but the conversation will end with the dogs healed.

Also, epi Alex about moving up. I assume you're all in conversation range at this point. So anyone can talk, and if there's anything you want to ask now would be the time

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin- 9/9 hp

"My lady", Silvarin says, bowing to her. "You have our most sincere apologies for the injuries to your dogs. It was impulse only, for unfortunately some of my companions are violent and easily startled." He kneels down besides the wounded Pig. "Good creatures, dogs.", he says, almost to himself. "Better than people, sometimes. At least a dog is loyal."

"Yes, you're a loyal boy, aren't you, chiau?", he says, and then starts singing quietly almost to himself, almost a lullaby. Those around him can't make out the words, exactly, but it feels a little bit like, for those who had mothers who loved them, the feeling that they got when they were young, sick in bed, and their mother tended to them, bringing down their fever, holding them and willing them to be well. This is the feeling that the other members of the group get as he sings his song.

Casting Healing Word on Pig: 1d4+3 4

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

As Silvarin kneels, Pig begins to growl, a low, unsteady rumble that drifts through the air. But as Silvarin's song begins, the rumble changes, it steadies out, and is soon almost pulsed in time with the half-elf's song. Gudfu stops massaging Shadow's side to watch the unfolding scene, and you see the first hint of a smile flash briefly across her face. And Pig lifts his head and, with a big doggy smile, gives Silvarin a quick lick on the hand.

"Thank you," Gudfu says. "At least some of you seem like good folk." At this last, she shoots brief glares at Crixom and Duerrak. She then again looks to both Silvarin and Syntarna. "If you're seeking the soldier headed towards Hirane, stop and ask at the Thirsty Maiden, between the forest and the swamps. Tell Thali I said you might not all be bastards."

Crixom and Duerrak, you both recognize the inn mentioned. Most people take two days to travel between Hirane and Gale. If they've the coin, they will often stop to stay at the inn instead of risking the wilds. Duerrak, you also know by reputation that the innkeeper, Thali, used to be a thief in Seaburg.

~

The inn is right on the road, right on the vertex between 05006 and 04006. From where you're at now, if you headed straight there you'd be there well before nightfall.

Byers2142 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 18, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

"We thank you for your help," Syntarna replied. And Silvarin. At least one of her new companions had a couple of brain cells to rub together. She turned her thoughts back towards Gudfu. In her she recognised a kindred spirit, such a bond should be honoured. "In that case, we had best be on our way. I wish you all the luck for whatever troubles you." She wanted to offer her aid but she already knew it would not be accepted. That was what made them equals.

----

Shall we hit the road?

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
Crixom7/12

"Apologies. I'm a bit skittish when being stalked."

possibly find more clues at the inn? Any questions about the "rebel organization? I guess I'll use up my LoH also.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Glink Gemtooth

Glink offers a low grunt and hardly a glance. What does this dwarf's pets matter? It's time to get on with the task, all this talking is getting us nowhere after all.

pre:
HP: 8 /8		Initiative: +2			Superior Darkvision
Perception: 11		Investigation: 15		Insight: 11

Spellcasting Ability: Intelligence      Save DC: 13 	Attack Mod: +5
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
Prepared Spells: Mage Armor, Ice Knife, Sleep, Fog Cloud
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn
4/9 HP

Oh, wonderful! They weren't all bastards! That seemed like a good thing. And they had gotten a clue, which was even better. And Gudfu was certainly not a bad guy — Naeryn made a mental note of that, for future reference.

~

I think we're all done making friends, so yeah, let's hit the road.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Gudfu nods to Syntarna. "Luck on you as well." With that, she stands and leads the dogs deeper into the forest, angling back towards the road's eastern entrance to the forest. You watch her go, and then leave yourself, headed towards the Thirsty Maiden

Evening, 6th of Goodmonth, year 267 of the Current Era

A charitable soul would say the Thirsty Maiden had location working for it. On the edges of the forest, and the swamps ahead in clear view, it presented the sole hope of a roof and a warm meal cooked by another on the trip between Gale and Hirane, and is almost exactly a day's travel from each. A less charitable soul would point out that the Thirsty Maiden only has location working for it. Its planks were cracked in places, and no paint could hide that many must have been warped when first nailed in places.

It took the party most of the rest of the day to walk through the forest, but after their encounter with Gudfu, very little of excitement happens. The rain cut out in the late afternoon, leaving the day humid under the leaves. Which is how you find yourself standing in front of the small single story tavern.

Inside isn't much better. There's a large common room, mismatched chairs and tables scattered around and several low benches laid out by the main fireplace. Along the back wall is the combination bar and kitchen, and behind it stands a elderly dwarf, his beard gone to gray, his bare head covered by a few stray hairs. When he walks, you can see he does so with a limp. Deeper into the small building, you see one interior wall with three doors, two of which are open. The first leads into what looks like a storage room, and the second into what looks to be the only private room on offer for folks spending the night. The closed door is set between these other two, and is the privy.

On the wall by the entrance is the only piece of decoration you see, a map of the Northern Kingdoms. While the map was originally only of the terrain, someone has scrawled the location of towns, cities, kingdoms, and major roads on it. No words are written on it, suggesting the person who drew in the towns and such was either illiterate or couldn't be bothered.

Beyond the dwarf behind the bar, there are five patrons currently in the tavern. Two dwarfs, one dressed in fine rainment and covered in jewelry, sit at the table closest to the fireplace, just past the ring of low benches. A female halfling sits at the bar, feet swinging slowly to and fro as she drinks. Another dwarf sits with her back to the wall, near the privy door. And an elf snores softly, laying on one of the benches with a staff clutched to his chest in both hands.

The dwarf behind the bar grins the grin of a man who just saw money walk through the door, and says to you, "Ahh, more travelers. Welcome, welcome to the Thirsty Maiden! Please, come in, my name is Thali. How can I help you?"

Meanwhile, the dwarf in finery by the fireplace looks up and, upon seeing Syntarna, grins evilly and gives her a small salute with his wine. Syntarna, you know him; he's a noble from Gale named Gwali. Why would he salute you and find wicked amusement from seeing you here?

~

The Northern Kingdoms

You are currently in hex 15013.

This is the big map of the world as you know it, and as such it's not super detailed. Towns (like Gale and Seaburg) are marked by a simple black dot, cities by a black dot with a circle surrounding it, and capitals of larger political powers by a starred circle. Smaller villages like Hirane and other small communities do not show on this map, and only major roads are shown as well.

There are five kingdoms, for lack of a better word, with their borders marked by the dotted line. In brief, they are:

The Realm of Nionyamen (Capital Hex 08008)
The Republic of Formene (Capital Hex 23008)
Egland, the Kingdom of Orbs (Capital Hex 12009)
Forlonde, the Realm of the Golden Throne (Capital Hex 14016)
The Principality of Beloreg (Capital Hex 06025)

The dark border on the west and north edges is, literally, the end of the world. You can travel there, but it's impossible to truly map what happens at the end of the world, so maps usually just mark the edges with a dark section.

~

Four of six saying to move on to the inn, and to be honest there's not much you could get from Gudfu right now anyway. You can be said to have had a short rest before moving on, so spend hit dice to heal if you wish.

For the map above, that's the project I've been working on for the past few weeks. It's taught me a few things about the world, some of which you'd know right away. First, this is a world in recovery. The map shows current towns/cities, but there are an additional 37 ruined towns/cities in the world, at least half that died violent deaths. Combined with the small size of kingdoms, it suggests that this world once was bigger, and that an attack happened that devastated the land. It's just now that people are beginning to recover and collect into larger political structures again.

So, between 2,000 and 5,000 years ago the Fire Giants and Demons of Muspelheim launched an assault on the drow of Niflheim and the Frost Giants of Jotunheim, and it was here in this world that their battlefields were drawn. For 3,000 years, the war raged, and both sides took turns to enslave, manipulate, and harvest the free peoples to further their war efforts. It's not clear how the war was ended, though it's known that neither side won. Many people believe that the gods, both good and evil, banded together to cast out both sides from the world.

During the war, cities were laid to waste and many died. Ancient battlefields dot the land, and the very terrain itself was changed by the fighting. The world got smaller, as fire and sand grew in the Muspelheim-held south and ice and death moved down from the north. Since the war, people have fought to save themselves, and civilization has been returning with time.

I know that's a lot of backstory to throw at you, but in short all you need to know is that current history is about 2,000 years old, it's cold up north and loving hot down south, and you're in a comfortable part of the world to start. Any questions, feel free to ask, either here, in PMs or in IRC.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

...poo poo.

Syntarna's skin prickled at the sight of Gwali's raised cup. What the hell was he doing here? A dingy inn in the back end of nowhere was the last place she expected to see any of the Galian nobility. Was it Marten? Had he somehow anticipated her plans and sent pursuers that had overtaken her on the road? I'm not going back, she vowed, He'll have to kill me first. It was unlikely that a noble dwarf would bow to the will of a merchant but paranoia was what kept her alive. And what of her companions? She couldn't risk them learning her true nature. So many variables in play. How could she find the perfect balance?

Gwali was still watching her, waiting for her reaction. She allowed him a sly grin. There you go, let's get you thinking like you're in on the secret. She turned her attention back to Thali. "Good day, innkeep," she said. "We are looking for food and board of whatever manner you can provide. Your establishment comes at the fine recommendation of a traveller called Gudfu." She remembered the dwarf's words with amusement. "She passes on the message that we might not all be bastards."

----

Byers, what do I know about Gwali and what's our history?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Thali snorts a bit at the message from Gudfu. "Aye, that sounds like Gudfu. And unless I miss my guess," he gestures briefly at the damage in Crixom's armor from the earlier fight, "more than pointed words were traded with her. Is she still alive, then?"

~

Taking the first part of the question first, there are 16 noble houses in Gale, but only 3 are dwarven noble houses. Of the three, House Davadugan is the most ambitious and focused on Galian politics. All three houses are offshoots of major noble houses in Forlonde, the kingdom to the south, but the other two are nothing more than backwater dumping grounds for unwanted relatives. House Davadugan is managed in Gale by Gwali Davadugan, the second son and spare heir for the primarch of House Davadugan in Forlonde.

Gwali is ambitious, deceitful, hedonistic, and driven. He's the second son and was sent off so that if something were to happen in Forlonde, he's not in the immediate area of danger and is skilled at running a House, albeit a smaller one in Gale. He's got interests in mining and manufacture in Gale, business ties to several other free cities and in Forlonde itself, and is rumored to have some less than legal avenues of income as well. He's devoted to two things, his own accumulation of power and wealth and his sons.

As for your history, given everything above, you tell me; how does Gwali and Syntarna know each other? Be as detailed or as vague as you want, but since this is tied to your past I want you to have the opportunity to craft your character and the world around her a bit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

"Merely a misunderstanding," she explained, "And she gave as good as she got, I can assure you of that. Isn't that right, friends?"

-----

I'm thinking Gwali would be one of Kadshear's mining contacts. Syntarna met him through Kadshear at either a business deal or social event and Gwali took a liking to her. However, she was busy playing Marten (and also somewhat disgusted by him) and had no interest in making further contact.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Duerrak

"Aye, that she did!" Duerrak agrees. "But everything got cleared up, and now here we are."

Looking around the room, Duerrak's gaze falls upon the dwarf near the privy door. It was probably nothing, but the way she sat with her back to the wall with the entrance in her field of vision was worth noting.

Perception (Inn Patron): 1d20-1 10

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

"That's good then; I know some day she'll end up dead in those woods, but her money spends like everyone else and she's always good for a nightcap a few days out of the week." Thali shrugs in a fatalist manner, and gestures to the cooking fire behind him. "You asked for food, drink, and board, eh?

"We've got a rye porridge, a barley porridge, and a vegetable stew which you can have for 2 coppers a bowl, biscuits and cheese for three. If you want meat, we're out, but we've pickled whitefish with some dried parsnips, which would run six coppers.

"For drink, we have bitters, cider, mead, and a stout that just came in from somewhere in Egland, all running three coppers a mug or a pitcher for a silver piece.

"Our board is a silver a night, which gets you a bench by the fire and a warm blanket. We've a private room, but the lord over there has already purchased it for the night."

The dwarf by the privy door is female, with a round face framed by golden hair twined into intricate braids. Her clothes are made of common material tailored to give her ease of movement and edges that flair as she moves, except her gloves which are made of silk and currently tucked into her belt. She sits with the chair leaned back on two legs, and the ease with which she holds that suggests trained muscles, good innate balance, or both.

~

Just in case, here's the menu in, well, a menu form:

Food
Rye Porridge (2 cp/bowl)
Barley Porridge (2 cp/bowl)
Vegetable Stew (2 cp/bowl)
Wheat Biscuits and Curd Cheese (3 cp)
Pickled Whitefish and Dried Parsnips (6 cp)

Drink
Bitters, Stout, Mead, Cider (3 cp/mug, 1 sp/pitcher)

Lodging
1 sp for a spot in the common room

Whenever you're somewhere with services, goods, and so on, I'll list what is available like I just did. These are the base prices, before any haggling you might try. Haggling has some risk, but can also make the prices go down. For most of these type of things, just keep check on your own of your money, I really, really doubt you'll need to pinch every copper.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn
6/9 HP

What a productive day! Lots of travel, a clue found to their goal, and Naeryn even got his first real battle scar! His enthusiasm might have gotten in the way of properly bandaging it, though, seeing as it still ached quite a bit. Still, pain was a part of life! Can't let it get you down!

"I'll have a blanket and some of your fine stew!" Naeryn told the innkeeper, and started digging around in his pouch for the right coins.

He also took note of the snoring elf, which was a bit of an oddity. He'd never really seen an elf sleep before; back home, everyone just meditated for a few hours instead. Much more efficient.

~

Hit dice healing: 1d8+1 2

And he's probably just drunk, but:

Perception - snoring elf: 1d20+5 13

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER
Glink Gemtooth

Finally, a meal! Glink loathed the idea of eating nothing but trail rations. Taking a silver piece to the counter, he mutters politely as he knows how.

"Whitefish, Parsnips and Cider. Please."

pre:
HP: 8 /8		Initiative: +2			Superior Darkvision
Perception: 11		Investigation: 15		Insight: 11

Spellcasting Ability: Intelligence      Save DC: 13 	Attack Mod: +5
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Prestidigitation
Prepared Spells: Mage Armor, Ice Knife, Sleep, Fog Cloud
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The elf is, in fact, not drunk. He is asleep. You're almost positive that it's impossible for elves to sleep, and yet there lies a sleeping elf.

And judging by the subtly shifting in his face and the rapid flickering of his eyes, he is dreaming.

Thali serves Glink and Naeryn your ordered food with the stated hope you enjoy it. It's nothing special, but for a roadside tavern isn't horrible.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

I could be eating pheasant and grouse in Gale right now, Syntarna mused with a sigh. Perhaps there are worse fates than those I had in store. Well, making do would make do, as her ma had always said. "I'll take the mead, to the pitcher, and the whitefish and the parsnips also," she told the innkeep. Glancing over to Gwali, she smoothed out her cloak as she thought. "We'll talk about the bed later."

Her companions were starting to busy themselves with their own needs. She thought of what she had gleaned from observing them. What did Gwali know? What would he say about what he knew? And how would the others react? Too many variables. I need to cut down the pathways. "Friends, let's not forget our mission. I suggest the more talkative among us" - she threw Crixom a look of warning - "start some conversations and see what we can learn. I'll try my luck with the esteemed dwarf here." Without waiting for a response she turned and stalked her way over to Gwali.

"Hello, stranger," she said, a touch of fire in her eyes, "Imagine two friends meeting in a place such as this."

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

The innkeep serves Syntarna as well; you notice he seems less interested in collecting the money up front as most. Likely because there's very little in the way of other places one could run off to out here.

Gwali grins at Syntarna's approach. "Imagine, indeed! And what... unusual company us two friends are keeping today, yes? My companion's name is Gini, an artist of some small talent currently under my patronage. Gini, this is a... friend of mine. Do say hello."

You can see that while Gini's clothes are modest, hanging from the chain around his neck is an amulet of crystal with a faint and unnatural glow emanating from within that you have to be close to even notice. You also recognize the name, and know that Gwali's comment is meant to be a boast.

In dwarven art, there is a movement called chromatic painting. Dwarves use granules of precious metals suspended in oils to paint with, literally brushing the metal onto bare stone or even treated canvas. Their art is expense to produce, as you need to buy the metals and then find someone who can prepare the suspension, but among noble in Egland and Forlonde it is considered in vogue currently. And in the chromatic painting movement, Gini is a divisive artist. As one of Marten's acquaintances once said, "He paints what's bloody there, even when you don't want him to." Gini has the ability to paint true to life, to where you feel as though you're seeing the painting's subject in person. Which is great for panoramas and scenes of beauty, but less so for the commissioned portrait of a noble woman with a hairlip.

Gini nods at you, and says quietly, "Hello." It's clear he doesn't want to be here, or to talk to you, or to be sat next to Gwali any longer than necessary.

But Gwali seems oblivious to Gini's lack of enthusiasm. "Excellent! Now bring up a chair, girl, and join us. Why is Marten's latest catch traveling to Hirane with not-Marten's men, hmmm?" He pauses, his hand on his wine. You realize that he actually brought his own wine, a much more refined drink than that served by Thali. And you notice he's just realized what you're drinking, as well. "You're not actually going to drink that swill, are you?"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Syntarna

"What kind of girl do you take me for?" Syntarna replied with a grin. She slid along the bench to sit down by Gwali, making the distance between them just a little more close than it should be. Putting a hand on his shoulder she lent over and whispered into his ear. "But it never hurts to let your patron feel their offerings are appreciated." She allowed her hand to linger a touch longer than necessary. "As for what I'm doing here, I believe I asked you that question first."

-----

Persuasion (Gwali): 1d20+7 8

I hope we don't do critical failures :ohdear:

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

"In fact, you did not. You made a comment about two friends meeting in a place like this, and have tried to distract me with your considerable charms, but never asked a question." Gwali dumps Syntarna's mead under the table and fills a glass of wine for her.

"So, I know you're heading to Hirane, not from, as that's where we just left. You're not with Marten's men. And you're playing coy, so you don't want anyone to know where you are going or why." Gwali gave her another evil grin. "Positively scandalous, I think!"

Meanwhile, the dwarf with her back to the wall finally comes to a decision. She pushes off from the wall and plants herself in front of Silvarin. She indicates the lute. "Do you play well?"

~

Yes and no. I don't screw people over, but it's an auto-fail and has other effects occasionally, like in group challenges.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Naeryn
6/9 HP

So... Sleeping. While being an elf! Maybe... maybe it was a custom of some sort? Trying to fit in with the not-elves? Should Naeryn be doing that too? Probably best to ask someone. And Glink was right there, so...

"Hey, Glink! What's up with that guy?" Naeryn said, pointing at the sleeping elf. "How is he doing that? Should I wake him up and ask, or do I need to figure this out myself? 'Cause looking at him, I'm pretty sure it would be rude of me stay awake like usual."

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Duerrak

Lingering at the bar, Duerrak decides on an order. "Those biscuits sound pretty good. And I suppose I can't resist a good cider; I'll have a pitcher of that."

When Thali returns with the food Duerrak forgoes a glass and takes a large swig directly from the pitcher. "Thanks, friend. Say, I'm a little surprised there are this few people here tonight. I would have guessed at least some of the soldiers would have stopped by."

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Silvarin

Silvarin, minding his own business until now, overhears Naeryn, and his attention is drawn to the elf. It's the strangest thing, because from what he knew of his father's people, elves didn't sleep or dream. And yet... So maybe this wasn't an elf after all, but in that case, what was he? And why was he pretending to be an elf?

I look at him. Is there any way to tell if he's a counterfeit elf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Thali grunts at Duerrak's comment. "What soldiers? Hirane has three guardsmen. Gale sends a messenger to Hirane and back twice a fortnight, and there's a payroll once a month or so. None of them has time for stopping off, as they all make the trip in a day. Midnight to midnight, mind, not dawn to dusk like sensible folk."

He gestures towards Gwali. "Take the noble your friend's chatting up. He shows up earlier, escorted by a guard from Hirane, who immediately heads back to the village. And around now, a group of guards will be leaving Gale, march all night, and be here in the morning to walk him home. That's seven soldiers at my door, and not a pint sold."

Thali stands back, shaking his head. "No, soldiers are too busy right now for a quick drink on the road. I make due with the officials, the resi... the locals, and folk like you and yours."

~

Normally, you'd roll something like Perception to know if something is real, but in this case there is no reason to.

He is an elf, that's GM confirmed fact. And he appears to be in a deep, unnatural for an elf sleep.

• Locked thread