Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Latest Video

What's this game?

Did you play Wolfenstein: The New Order? Did you watch my LP of it? If so, you have the basic premise. The Old Blood is a prequel to The New Order showcasing the events that led up to the assault on Deathshead's compound that served as the prologue for TNO. It takes place entirely in 1946 and opens with BJ Blazkowicz sneaking into Castle Wolfenstein with Agent One, a fellow OSA agent and apparently a good friend. As things go for BJ, poo poo hits the fan and, well, watch the videos. It isn't a full game by the way, but more of a standalone expansion. MachineGames put The Old Blood out a little over a year after TNO launched and it was only available via download for $20. All of that and MachineGames stating it was more an expansion than full fledged entry didn't stop game reviewers from harping on the length, the lack of variety in locations (it only takes place in a castle and then a village instead of being a world hopping adventure) and the minimal character development BJ undergoes in this game when compared to the surprising amount in TNO that quickly became some people's favorite part of the game. If you want all these complaints in one spot, here's Kotaku's review

Why are you playing this if it isn't as good as the first game

Because the guy from Kotaku is really bad at video games and can't enjoy things doesn't make the game bad. Most review sites ended up giving the game 3.5 stars or 70 out of 100. Some reviews contradicted each other, with the Kotaku review claiming the stealth sections were linear and that made it difficult to avoid getting caught and the Polygon review claiming they were too wide open and that led him to being caught too often. I think both failed to recognize that the formula for stealth sections was adjusted a bit to make it harder to just cap the commanders from a mile away with a pistol and call it a day. Look: the gameplay is generally as good as TNO, the guns are fun to use, almost every combat or stealth room is well designed and the gimmick weapon in the game is well utilized and has some great animations to it. By all accounts, this is a really good game.

Gimmick Weapon?

TNO had the LKW, the giant laser weapon. This game has...a three foot length of pipe. Well, I guess technically it has two pieces of pipes that BJ can thread together or hold separately depending on what he needs to do. It serves as your primary melee weapon, but can also open up doors, prop things open, hit buttons and serve as rock climbing equipment when needed. It also has some brutal animations that come along with stealth kills or as part of normal combat. For a time it serves as your only weapon so you can get familiar with the capabilities of the pipe, and like the LKW, it is useful to necessary throughout the game. Just like in TNO the majority of the games weapons can be dual wielded, which makes you move slower but provides more firepower. Unlike TNO where every weapon had some form of secondary fire function, only a few guns here have one and they are generally more down to earth than turning your sniper rifle into a laser gun. Also different from TNO is the ability to change the fire mode on either gun when dual wielding.

This game is fairly short, right?

Yes, about four hours if you are playing for the first time, less than that if you know what you are doing. I debated just bringing back the TNO thread to do this real quick, but I've elected to simply do another short game alongside this one (more on that when it happens). I'm also probably going to jump into the challenge mode in this game just to show that off.

Video Links:

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Characters

Name:BJ Blazkowicz
Rap Name: B-Cubed

BJ is the player character throughout the Wolfenstein series and is basically seen by everyone as a sentient pile of muscle and anger. In the New Order we saw he had far more emotional depth than his tough guy exterior would let on through a series of day dreams and inner monologues. That mostly flies out the window in The Old Blood as it is meant to be more of a throwback to the old Wolfenstein games to a degree. BJ still has mental conversations with himself revealing more about his family and childhood, but mostly focuses on the mission and killing Nazis

Name: Richard Wesley
Rap Name: Wes-One

Agent One is constantly called just Wesley in this game to the point where I thought it was his first name. His status as Agent One is a throwback to Return to Castle Wolfenstein and depending on how you read some game files the name Wesley may also be a holdover from that game. This is clearly a different guy, though because the original Agent One was electrocuted to death in a different Castle Wolfenstein in 1943. How many Agents named Wesley and castles called Wolfenstein are there in the world? Why does BJ always have to travel to one with the other?

Name: Rudi Jager
Rap Name: Old Rudi Bastard

Rudi is a high ranking SS officer and the main antagonist for the first half of The Old Blood. With Helga out of the castle he runs the place and that seemingly only consists of torturing people, feeding dogs and torturing people by feeding them to his dogs. He has an albino dog given to him by Hitler himself named Greta and if you say anything about that dog Rudi will loving crush your skull in his hands. I mean, he doesn't do that in game, but look at that dude, he's bigger than BJ and BJ already looks like a lab experiment to see how much muscle a person could have before they couldn't move under their own weight.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

gently caress These Police In Particular: LA Cops

LA Cops Episode 1: No Plot

LA Cops Episode 2: Det. Green(thumb)

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 1, 2015

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lazyfire posted:

Saving this for the other LP I'm doing in this thread.

I hope it's not Chernobyl Commando.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

This first video has a bit of everything. There are a ton of references to The New Order here: The opening with BJ asleep on the way to the mission is a throwback to the opening to The New Order, the keychain in the car is the same one seen in the New Order on the way to the London Nautica, and the Nazis in the mission mention gold items being exported out, probably a subtle reference to the items you collected in The New Order (replaced in The Old Blood by just gold bars). There's also a Skyrim reference in the form of one of the helmets in Helga's office. While the game starts off all actiony after introducing the key players and the setting of the game, we quickly go into stealth mode after we get the pipe. That stealth section we're in now continues for most of the next video as well in one form or another, one of the major issues people had with the game was just how long you went from getting the pipe to getting a real weapon again. Personally, I thought it was kind of neat and plus, you can just pick up a machine gun and really bust through the section in record time if you are so inclined (or you can get caught trying to do that and have to wait like ten minutes to move on). The pipe is the real star of the show for this first video, you see basically everything it does and can do here, and the game is training you to look for places to use the pipe, like craggy walls and stuck doors, as well as showing that it is an offensive tool. Because the pipe is a big part of the game it makes sense to give it this kind of introduction, though I wish a quarter of the game time wasn't spent on it. Realistically, a couple rooms would have sufficed.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah. I was interested in this one since it promised a more traditional RtCW/2k9 experience, then heard it's really short and decided I can do without. Looking forward to seeing what I missed.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I hope it's not Chernobyl Commando.

No, CQC is going to have to do that one himself, though I have asked him to come guest on what I actually want to do.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Well... there's definitely nothing REMOTELY homoerotic about that menu screen there.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 7, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Samovar posted:

Well... there's definately nothing REMOTELY homoerotic about that menu screen there.

It's actually super manly, I don't know what you are talking about.

You don't see it for a while but it is also actually incredibly accurate to the game as BJ is shirtless for something like 75% of the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey, it's finally happening.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ein hot dog.

It's not as groundbreaking as TNO, but it's still a great time and well worth expansion pack prices.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i look forward to the other LP that Lazyfire is going to do in this thread. We're finally going to get Red Faction: Armageddon.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I am overjoyed to hear we're finally getting an LP of Hello Kitty's Island REVENGE.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Yyyyyyyeeeeeessssssss. Kill all the nazis forever.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Could we make through the game without hurting the dogges? :ohdear:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Are they Nazi dogs? (Y/N)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Blind Sally posted:

Are they Nazi dogs? (Y/N)

Y, therefore they must die.

Kill all nazis.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Lazyfire posted:

Also different from TNO is the ability to change the fire mode on either gun when dual wielding.

I swear you can do that in both games.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Teledahn posted:

I swear you can do that in both games.

You can, but it's a hotkey that's never mentioned outside of the control settings.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

This thread pleases me greatly.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
On the one hand, Rudi is clearly a psychopath, but on the other, he's a dog person, so...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cryohazard posted:

On the one hand, Rudi is clearly a psychopath, but on the other, he's a dog person, so...

They actually do a good job of providing characterization for Rudi and Helga over the course of the game. Character is sparser in this one in general (less time to work on it) but they still do a good job.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I don't think they intended for TOB to be as amazing as TNO, but it's a good supplement and really brings back the old Return to Castle Wolfenstein atmosphere back. I hope the Wolfenstein gives you a spoon as a gimmick weapon. Considering all the poo poo BJ pulls off with a pipe, he'd win the war with a spoon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Kind of hoping the other game is Wolf3D.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Hitler liked dogs too. Are you saying BJ should spare Rudi/Hitler just because he liked dogs? :colbert:

The only good Nazi is a dead Nazi, and sadly, this includes Nazi Dogs.

It is sad, but it is war.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

President Ark posted:

You can, but it's a hotkey that's never mentioned outside of the control settings.

loving what? I played that game at least six times through and never even accidentally hit that button. Then again, there is a section of this game that gives you exactly zero command prompts and doesn't have any control information in the settings sooooooooo

RickVoid posted:

Kind of hoping the other game is Wolf3D.

No one has been even close to what's happening with the other game and that's probably for the best as I like making people sad with my choices.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Didn't you already stay what it was going to be in Shadow of Mordor thread?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kurieg posted:

Didn't you already stay what it was going to be in Shadow of Mordor thread?

I was thinking about Steamworld and then reinstalled it and quickly realized I couldn't keep commentary going for however long it took to beat that game as you spend a stupid amount of time just hitting dirt with a pick. Yes, there are a crazy number of people who do just that with Minecraft, but that's a very broad definition of commentary.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

Lazyfire posted:

loving what? I played that game at least six times through and never even accidentally hit that button. Then again, there is a section of this game that gives you exactly zero command prompts and doesn't have any control information in the settings sooooooooo

I think the default key for that is Z or X.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I commend you for the unorthodox double-bill of Wolfenstein and Minecraft.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Finally the Let's Player a masterpiece like Five Night At Freddy's deserves?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Knowing Lazyfire, it's probably going to be a terrible game that no one has LPed before because it's so dull.

I look forward to it.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Blind Sally posted:

Knowing Lazyfire, it's probably going to be a terrible game that no one has LPed before because it's so dull.

Blind MGS V run. :v:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This LP has forced me to shotgun the The New Order LP. Holy poo poo these games are good. :stare:

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?
The Old Blood?
Old Blood...

Other game's gotta be Bloodborne yes :colbert:

Man, I didn't pick this game up when it came out even though I really loved The New Order. Heard so many bad-to-middling things about it that it killed my high. But now I'm picking it up for sure- I have no idea where all the negativity came from, from what I've seen..!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

As someone who enjoyed your The New Order LP, I am looking forward to this one as well.

As for Agent One/Wesley returning from the grave but looking different that the previous one, I would not be surprised if this Wesley was supposed to be nod to how (as of this posting) 6 different actors have all played the same character, super spy James Bond.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Hell yeah. Been looking forward to this LP since you finished TNO. :cheers:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

I look forward to it.

I don't think anyone's LP'd it because it's just bad and short and not normally worth saying anything about, but it's also short enough that there will be like an hour of videos for it to supplement the Old Blood. By the way, I half finished recording The Old Blood already, so this'll be over pretty quickly all things considered.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
This LP reminded me that I actually have Old Blood and haven't played it. Must get to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
OK, one thing that's bothering me is that we're told Rudi feeds prisoners to his dogs. But the guy we see him dragging is speaking German and looks pretty Aryan? I guess he could be a deserter but that brings up the question of why anyone would desert from the Wehrmacht when the war's going so well for them, particularly a cushy guard job way behind the front lines.

Unless Rudi has German-speaking prisoners (whether Allied or not) bussed in specifically for his dogs? :stonklol: That'd certainly add another layer to the insanity and now that I think about it that's the most logical explanation. The Den is a research base not a prison or frontline stockade that POWs would naturally end up at. Although I'm probably putting more thought into this than MachineGames did.

• Locked thread