Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK, one thing that's bothering me is that we're told Rudi feeds prisoners to his dogs. But the guy we see him dragging is speaking German and looks pretty Aryan? I guess he could be a deserter but that brings up the question of why anyone would desert from the Wehrmacht when the war's going so well for them, particularly a cushy guard job way behind the front lines.

Unless Rudi has German-speaking prisoners (whether Allied or not) bussed in specifically for his dogs? :stonklol: That'd certainly add another layer to the insanity and now that I think about it that's the most logical explanation. The Den is a research base not a prison or frontline stockade that POWs would naturally end up at. Although I'm probably putting more thought into this than MachineGames did.

Suspected traitors or "You have failed me for the last time" I'm guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK, one thing that's bothering me is that we're told Rudi feeds prisoners to his dogs. But the guy we see him dragging is speaking German and looks pretty Aryan? I guess he could be a deserter but that brings up the question of why anyone would desert from the Wehrmacht when the war's going so well for them, particularly a cushy guard job way behind the front lines.

Unless Rudi has German-speaking prisoners (whether Allied or not) bussed in specifically for his dogs? :stonklol: That'd certainly add another layer to the insanity and now that I think about it that's the most logical explanation. The Den is a research base not a prison or frontline stockade that POWs would naturally end up at. Although I'm probably putting more thought into this than MachineGames did.

Nazis killed a lot of Germans, too.

Also, don't forget how heavily the Kreisau Circle factors into Wolfenstein; Wolfenstein has the actual native German resistance be a pretty big deal and so it's quite possible it's one of them.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Or a communist, a recently caught/exposed Jew, a priest, mentally ill, an alcoholic, Party member fallen from grace... Nazis killed a lot of people.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, with a regime like that people are going to start ratting on one another to settle personal scores. Not to mention there's still, y'know, actual criminals.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Part of this Castle Wolfenstein is also being used as an insane asylum, isn't it?

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Alright what am I missing here.

Why are those pipes so sharp.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

hard counter posted:

BJ exudes a knifing aura that turns things into suitable knives by his presence.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hard counter posted:

They're not. BJ's that strong.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Night10194 posted:

BJ exudes a knifing aura that turns things into suitable knives by his presence.

Anya, no!

Blind Sally posted:

They're not. BJ's that strong.

Good enough for me.

Looking forward to this lp.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

hard counter posted:

BJ can kill at will, that's all it really is. Like someone said, if he had a spoon in the pit with him the game would be about him somehow tearing the castle down with that same spoon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

BJ can kill at will, that's all it really is. Like someone said, if he had a spoon in the pit with him the game would be about him somehow tearing the castle down with that same spoon.

We'd get a melee kill where he gouges the enemy's eyes out.

Irony.

Finished the TNO LP. That was a hell of a ride.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

hard counter posted:

It's like that scene in Chronicles of Riddick where he says he's gonna kill a guy with his tea cup, and then he actually does it.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Lazyfire posted:

To be fair, there are quite a few ways to kill people with a spoon.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Why on Earth would any think its a good idea to send BJ on an undercover mission

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

1stGear posted:

Why on Earth would any think its a good idea to send BJ on an undercover mission

It usually works out in the end.

After hundreds die.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

1stGear posted:

BJ may have chicken fried rear end for a stealth stat, but any mission he's sent on will guarantee a significant amount of dead Nazis left in his wake, meaning everyone else has to worry about less Nazis to kill, which means good news for everyone else.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

1stGear posted:

That's easy. It's not so he has to deal with Stealth, but rather it's to put him into a position such that when his cover is eventually blown, he is surrounded by Nazi's, and thus it matters not which direction he goes, Nazis will die! ;)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I dunno, how many witnesses does BJ usually leave?

Someone badly misunderstanding that number could mistake him for a stealth god.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

1stGear posted:

BJ being stealthy is a marching band covered in fireworks.

It's a stealth mission for everyone else while BJ Blazkowicz draws the attention of every Nazi in a 17 mile radius.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

1stGear posted:

When you don't expect it to stay undercover because you're up against a colorful and exotic roster of supernatural monsters, mad scientists and their creations, and possibly an ancient civilization that destroyed itself. For such situations, BJ is precisely the man you want to send.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It will always be funny to me that BJ is a spy. And not some kind of secret weapons project.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

paragon1 posted:

It will always be funny to me that BJ is a spy. And not some kind of secret weapons project.

He is. The War Department wanted to see if they could implant a masonry block into a man's jaw. They succeeded.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DeusExMachinima posted:

He is. The War Department wanted to see if they could implant a masonry block into a man's jaw. They succeeded.

The allies had to counter the Nazi insane wartime superweapons with one of their own!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I think with Bj it's more that he looks suitably aryan enough to get him past the front lines. The point is that other people do the spying, he's more infiltration and extraction.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

With respect to BJ being a spy, I remember the old adage: 'If nobody's left, nobody saw you'.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

paragon1 posted:

They just tell him that because they think telling him he's a cheap reusable blockbuster bomb will hurt his feelings.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Samovar posted:

With respect to BJ being a spy, I remember the old adage: 'If nobody's left, nobody saw you'.

The James Bond school of stealth.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Well, they have excavations going on underneath the castle according to the radio call we overheard. And, I may be wrong, but I seem to remember the Nazi's being all about "Why dig this hole/build this plane/mill this bullet when we can make someone else do it at gunpoint? I'd imagine that situation could lead to quite a few possibilities for prisoners to end up in the dungeons.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Who was the artist in charge of character design, Tom of Finland?

Not complaining, mind.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Some more sneaking around and seeing Rudi being mean to people followed by our first combat section in almost an hour and a half.

Something I want to point out about the stealth in this game is that it is only slightly different from TNO, but different enough that people who were Stealth Experts in TNO (I got caught maybe twice in my LP, and at least once was on purpose) had some trouble with this game. There's a pretty simple reason why. Most of the stealth sections in the game require way more patience and more accounting of enemy positions than in TNO. In TNO you could cap someone inches away from another guy and so long as no one was looking your way the surviving Nazi would just walk around like nothing happened. In TOB that poo poo is incredibly rare. Enemies take greater notice of bodies, and will sound the alarm if you kill someone too close to them. Additionally, an enemy later in the game is not stealth killable and will be in a number of the later sections, making it more of a stealth puzzle or game of cat and mouse than it was in TNO. On top of all this, the game changes how the commanders patrol. Often you'll have a commander with a great deal of range that is an easy kill and then a commander seemingly hidden away somewhere or patrolling a very specific area. Altogether, this means having to sneak way more, plan out your route and keep track of the stealth-resistant enemies if you want to be able to get through a stealth area without raising an alarm.

Personally, I welcome the change. The Subway mission of TNO had a stealth section where you could, with a little aiming skill and some good timing, hit both commanders in an area without moving a step. Good luck pulling that off here. Additionally, there are a few areas where it is completely possible to pass right by the commanders without killing them. It's something I don't take advantage of, but something you can do nonetheless. The only real downside to the new structure is that some areas are basically going to be near forced combat zones. There are a couple places later in the game that I just can't figure out how to sneak past them, and so I get spotted and I often feel like I need to run right for the commanders to end the fight I just started. Still, the reviews complaining about how the stealth was worse seemingly mistake "adding challenge" for "making it worse."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Some more sneaking around and seeing Rudi being mean to people followed by our first combat section in almost an hour and a half.

Something I want to point out about the stealth in this game is that it is only slightly different from TNO, but different enough that people who were Stealth Experts in TNO (I got caught maybe twice in my LP, and at least once was on purpose) had some trouble with this game. There's a pretty simple reason why. Most of the stealth sections in the game require way more patience and more accounting of enemy positions than in TNO. In TNO you could cap someone inches away from another guy and so long as no one was looking your way the surviving Nazi would just walk around like nothing happened. In TOB that poo poo is incredibly rare. Enemies take greater notice of bodies, and will sound the alarm if you kill someone too close to them. Additionally, an enemy later in the game is not stealth killable and will be in a number of the later sections, making it more of a stealth puzzle or game of cat and mouse than it was in TNO. On top of all this, the game changes how the commanders patrol. Often you'll have a commander with a great deal of range that is an easy kill and then a commander seemingly hidden away somewhere or patrolling a very specific area. Altogether, this means having to sneak way more, plan out your route and keep track of the stealth-resistant enemies if you want to be able to get through a stealth area without raising an alarm.

Personally, I welcome the change. The Subway mission of TNO had a stealth section where you could, with a little aiming skill and some good timing, hit both commanders in an area without moving a step. Good luck pulling that off here. Additionally, there are a few areas where it is completely possible to pass right by the commanders without killing them. It's something I don't take advantage of, but something you can do nonetheless. The only real downside to the new structure is that some areas are basically going to be near forced combat zones. There are a couple places later in the game that I just can't figure out how to sneak past them, and so I get spotted and I often feel like I need to run right for the commanders to end the fight I just started. Still, the reviews complaining about how the stealth was worse seemingly mistake "adding challenge" for "making it worse."

I, uh... think you forgot to cut a thing that you meant to cut.

:D
It's right at the beginning. And very funny.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RickVoid posted:

I, uh... think you forgot to cut a thing that you meant to cut.

:D
It's right at the beginning. And very funny.

Yeah, I thought about cutting that but it was way too funny because I got so in the habit of saying I was playing Wolfenstein the New Order that literally every time I've started an episode I'm mentally saying "Don't say New Order. Don't say New Order." To the point where I believe the next episode starts off with me explaining I have trouble with it. As such, I've decided to just leave in mistakes like that instead of cutting them just so I have a record of how often I mess up.

Edit: I actually missed cuts like this in three or so episodes of TNO and had to YouTube edit them away. If people don't find it as entertaining as I do I'll cut it out without having to re-upload.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Sep 12, 2015

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Something for the Plaid Cymru voters in the audience: the powerfully Welsh Wesley is always referred to as "the Englishman" by the Nazis.

Also, you should pay more attention to your best friend Rattty.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, I thought about cutting that but it was way too funny because I got so in the habit of saying I was playing Wolfenstein the New Order that literally every time I've started an episode I'm mentally saying "Don't say New Order. Don't say New Order." To the point where I believe the next episode starts off with me explaining I have trouble with it. As such, I've decided to just leave in mistakes like that instead of cutting them just so I have a record of how often I mess up.

I figured it was probably something like that. You left yourself some time to cut it, though, so I figured I'd point it out in case you just forgot.

I'm disappointed to hear we'll get less of the somewhat disturbing commentary from inside BJ's head. That "She said it was carried through the blood" bit felt particularly melancholy, and resonated with me as my Grandmother has dementia. Not sure what's worse, knowing that I will likely go through it, and my kids will have to deal with it (and their own kids will have to deal with them), or that I can already see the earliest stages in my Dad. :(

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

RickVoid posted:

I figured it was probably something like that. You left yourself some time to cut it, though, so I figured I'd point it out in case you just forgot.

I'm disappointed to hear we'll get less of the somewhat disturbing commentary from inside BJ's head. That "She said it was carried through the blood" bit felt particularly melancholy, and resonated with me as my Grandmother has dementia. Not sure what's worse, knowing that I will likely go through it, and my kids will have to deal with it (and their own kids will have to deal with them), or that I can already see the earliest stages in my Dad. :(

I generally leave myself a clear editing mark and take down a note when I have to redo an intro or something, but I missed the mark this time and while reviewing the video I decided to keep it.

Also, Jesus Christ I'm glad neither my or my wife's family have signs of dementia, it's such a terrifying prospect.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lazyfire posted:

Also, Jesus Christ I'm glad neither my or my wife's family have signs of dementia, it's such a terrifying prospect.

Don't worry, your brain will probably find its own unique and interesting way to go insane as it ages past its use-by date :v:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Don't they have treatments for dementia? I could swear I read that they had ways of holding it off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That isn't the first Nightmare bed, I think. There was one back in the intro chapter. Under the Gondola leading up to Castle Wolfentsein.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CommissarMega posted:

Don't they have treatments for dementia? I could swear I read that they had ways of holding it off.

There are ways to treat some of the symptoms to lessen their effect, but that's about it. It depends a bit on exactly what is causing your brain to degrade, however in general the best you can do is minimize the effects and slow the progress a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Samovar posted:

Well... there's definitely nothing REMOTELY homoerotic about that menu screen there.

Not sure if you're joking but to go ahead and get the :goonsay: out of the way it is a direct reference to one of the old box arts:

Also looking forward to the rest of the LP Lazyfire. The Old Blood owns just as much as The New Order :)

• Locked thread