Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Kind of hoping the other game is Wolf3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
This LP has forced me to shotgun the The New Order LP. Holy poo poo these games are good. :stare:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

BJ can kill at will, that's all it really is. Like someone said, if he had a spoon in the pit with him the game would be about him somehow tearing the castle down with that same spoon.

We'd get a melee kill where he gouges the enemy's eyes out.

Irony.

Finished the TNO LP. That was a hell of a ride.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Some more sneaking around and seeing Rudi being mean to people followed by our first combat section in almost an hour and a half.

Something I want to point out about the stealth in this game is that it is only slightly different from TNO, but different enough that people who were Stealth Experts in TNO (I got caught maybe twice in my LP, and at least once was on purpose) had some trouble with this game. There's a pretty simple reason why. Most of the stealth sections in the game require way more patience and more accounting of enemy positions than in TNO. In TNO you could cap someone inches away from another guy and so long as no one was looking your way the surviving Nazi would just walk around like nothing happened. In TOB that poo poo is incredibly rare. Enemies take greater notice of bodies, and will sound the alarm if you kill someone too close to them. Additionally, an enemy later in the game is not stealth killable and will be in a number of the later sections, making it more of a stealth puzzle or game of cat and mouse than it was in TNO. On top of all this, the game changes how the commanders patrol. Often you'll have a commander with a great deal of range that is an easy kill and then a commander seemingly hidden away somewhere or patrolling a very specific area. Altogether, this means having to sneak way more, plan out your route and keep track of the stealth-resistant enemies if you want to be able to get through a stealth area without raising an alarm.

Personally, I welcome the change. The Subway mission of TNO had a stealth section where you could, with a little aiming skill and some good timing, hit both commanders in an area without moving a step. Good luck pulling that off here. Additionally, there are a few areas where it is completely possible to pass right by the commanders without killing them. It's something I don't take advantage of, but something you can do nonetheless. The only real downside to the new structure is that some areas are basically going to be near forced combat zones. There are a couple places later in the game that I just can't figure out how to sneak past them, and so I get spotted and I often feel like I need to run right for the commanders to end the fight I just started. Still, the reviews complaining about how the stealth was worse seemingly mistake "adding challenge" for "making it worse."

I, uh... think you forgot to cut a thing that you meant to cut.

:D
It's right at the beginning. And very funny.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Yeah, I thought about cutting that but it was way too funny because I got so in the habit of saying I was playing Wolfenstein the New Order that literally every time I've started an episode I'm mentally saying "Don't say New Order. Don't say New Order." To the point where I believe the next episode starts off with me explaining I have trouble with it. As such, I've decided to just leave in mistakes like that instead of cutting them just so I have a record of how often I mess up.

I figured it was probably something like that. You left yourself some time to cut it, though, so I figured I'd point it out in case you just forgot.

I'm disappointed to hear we'll get less of the somewhat disturbing commentary from inside BJ's head. That "She said it was carried through the blood" bit felt particularly melancholy, and resonated with me as my Grandmother has dementia. Not sure what's worse, knowing that I will likely go through it, and my kids will have to deal with it (and their own kids will have to deal with them), or that I can already see the earliest stages in my Dad. :(

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Why is Patrick Swayze kicking that US Army officer (clearly carrying an AR, even if he is wearing the wrong helmet) in the chin?

Alternately the Swayz just ripped one and the soldier fell over laughing about it.

I'm not going to even touch that ridiculous gun he's holding. It has three barrels and what I can only assume is some kind of very, very large scope? It's like they married a grenade launcher to I don't even know what.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
As an aside, as a long-time fan of Planescape: Torment, seeing TNO as meaning anything other than "The Nameless One" is kind of weird.

That said, I really want to see a room full of angry Hitler's, yelling at each other, forever. Bonus points if we mix in pretty Anime Hitlers.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Eyre Kneed posted:

The Wyatt File:
https://youtu.be/UVCdFuhKvi8

The thread had a decent discussion about it, too.

To be fair, it isn't part of the playlist.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I liked that they threw in the "Mein leiben!" when you stab Rudi in the side of the head. Nice nod to Wolf3D there.

chiasaur11 posted:

I think some devs said his mother was Jewish in relation to one of the games or another.

Just another reason Blazko takes this whole thing so personally.

I think Wolf3D stated that his family were Polish immigrants, which is why even if his German is terrible, he had no problem speaking Polish in The New Order. I don't see any reason he couldn't be Jewish too, that just makes the whole thing better.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
The worst thing, the very worst thing is the realization that, from the most petty criminal all the way up to Hitler and Stalin, there are no monsters. Just people making god-awful choices leading to the terrible consequences that follow. Every person in the Third Reich that wore the uniform made the conscious decision to put the thing on in the morning, do awful things to their fellow man, go home, and be proud of it.

This is why it is SUPER important that people are taught "Regular people did this poo poo. You could do this poo poo. You might one day actually do this poo poo, given the proper motive. LOOK AT WHAT WE DID SO WE NEVER DO IT AGAIN." Which is why Germany's terrible policy of outlawing any displays or references to Nazism is incredibly damaging, as evidenced by the fact that they still have an actual, honest to god, Nazi Party (under the guise of the far less threatening-sounding National Democratic Party, because doesn't that sound so nice?). Austria has Neo-Nazis. Greece has Neo-Nazis. France and Russia have Neo-Nazis.

France and Russia have Neo-Nazis. For fucks sake.
Poland has Neo-Nazis that think they are Anti-Neo-Nazis but are just as awful.

I sort of wish High Schools did a semester on world-wide atrocities, with a focus on the day to day lives of the people and groups that committed them. Do schools these days still show the Auschwitz tapes as part of the WWII section of world history? My freshman year was in '00, and I remember my History teacher just dropped that poo poo on us, I think the only warning we got was "Hey, if you feel like you need to leave the room while this is running it's cool, but you are going to see some of this". I don't think the school sent home anything about it ahead of time either.

CommissarMega posted:

Honestly, I think presenting them like this makes the Nazis more easily hated, not less. We can laugh at a monster who cries MEIN LEBEN while goose-stepping to some pompous arsehole with a funny moustache's speeches. It's less funny, and more terrifying, if we learn about family men going to work, executing thousands and then going home to a perfect nuclear family, or about a traumatized veteran and decorated war hero who focuses his patriotism in the most horrifying directions. It reminds us that evil can come from anywhere, and that simply having a democracy does not make us safe.

Quoting because this is how you make a reference, people. Well done.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Y'know, some of the poo poo Beej has said in this and TNO has made it sound like his childhood, while rough and tumble, was a relatively safe and solid upbringing.

But that last line before the end of that episode just screamed abuse. Odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I love how BJ pauses at the top of the wall as he sees the graveyard on the other side. Doesn't say anything, just stares for a moment, and then hops over.

• Locked thread