Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
They've been pretty flaky. I got the server error message trying to login last night, and then it connected fine on the second try.

One annoyance I've found is that the server side loadouts aren't always saving, so I occasionally have to go back in and re-create my loadouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Zernach posted:

Are the servers tits up or something, I get stuck in login with "lost connection to server" message. I managed to login once yesterday, tooled around setting up my loadouts and then tried to join a server but all I got was a window with "connecting to server" not doing anything.

I cant even login, servers are supposedly fine though, gently caress you hi-rez lmao i knew this would happen.

http://status.hirezstudios.com/

e: Managed to get into a few games, the servers are basically empty though, game dead, so what.

a whole buncha crows fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 11, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
current tribes meta is "how many tries does it take to login"

Also, if you played Tribes before now and uninstalled but didn't do an OS wipe, might want to check your tribes.ini in Documents\My Games\Tribes Ascend\TribesGame\Config. Mine was set up with some garbage settings since I last edited it in 2012 when I had a much worse videocard.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

I take it all back im playing tribes all night

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hopefully they don't nerf the Shrike too hard, my one true love in Tribes was to make cappers and midfielders lives' a living hell by chasing them down for 40 mins straight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjE7c7YiP5o

I miss the T2 Shrike :smith:

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nation posted:

I cant even login, servers are supposedly fine though, gently caress you hi-rez lmao i knew this would happen.

Nation posted:

I take it all back im playing tribes all night

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I"m gentle man with a loving heart. I don't want to be hurt.

I just

don't know what to do. I don't know if I could take the heartbreak again.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Yea this is just a one night stand

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:
I totally forgot about this terrible game, guess it's time to dig out my account details.

Probably going to get burned again but I don't care right now. Any former IRC goons getting in on this?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I just remember the game before the INF update, and it was so much fun and it was good and everyone loved it. Simpler times.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Finally got to play and god drat has my aim gone to poo poo. Can't even hit dudes waddling around on the ground with spinfusors. Still fun though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seriously, that's the one thing making me not reinstall the game. How are people so good at hitting single slow-moving projectiles with inheritance while travelling in different directions? Am I just at a huge disadvantage for never playing Tribes 2? A flight sim like WT is easier than this for me, because at least there you get more chances to hit and your target generally can't shoot back.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

I got really good (relative to other pubbies) at hitting people midair by playing a loving ton of T:A and shooting at a lot of people who were in the air. Also I have near-permanent pain in my wrists from playing too much, so protip: stop playing if your wrists hurt.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Weirdly enough I found arena was a good way to get a feel for your projectiles. Then just play a couple rounds as pursuit to get a hang for leading, try and lead to when they're either going to be at a peak of a boost or riding a predictable slope.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Morbidmind posted:

Weirdly enough I found arena was a good way to get a feel for your projectiles. Then just play a couple rounds as pursuit to get a hang for leading, try and lead to when they're either going to be at a peak of a boost or riding a predictable slope.

Always be shooting at something all the time no matter how wild the shot

e: and keep going fast

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That was my other problem. I'm about as good at skiing without hitting stuff as I am at not hitting stuff in driving games (bad).

And yet, I'm about to download this game. RIP my better judgement.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 11, 2015

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Ö

It's just like the old days. :allears:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Question. When do the servers get a bit more populated again? Last I tried as a Level 1, I got shoved into empty matches.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

On PTS I think you need to be level 10+ to actually play

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Morbidmind posted:

Ascend had like the most confusing development cycle. Hi-rez were by far the best devs I've seen when it came to how they handled everything up until like, the infiltrator update when they took a 180 turn. Early alpha/beta, they listened to the community when it came to changes, took out hit-scan for projectile ballistics, raised the speed cap, focused on large map development, and every time they changed anything with how the classes worked they refunded you anything you'd spent on the game till then. It was loving crazy.
This is not at all how I remember it. They sorta listened to the community, but they took everything halfway. They also implimented all kinda of hosed up band aids and hedge case scenarios which is why we have this:

NmareBfly posted:

Does using your jetpack when falling quicker than a certain speed still make you fall even faster due to weird math in the backend?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBRjHkJurIg

Do we still have the :hirez: emote I drunkenly bought?
EDIT: Yup, we do!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Malloc Voidstar posted:

On PTS I think you need to be level 10+ to actually play

So how the gently caress do I even play if I'm on a fresh account?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Play novice servers to grind. I don't think this is feasible on PTS (maybe on weekends?) because there aren't enough low-level players, no idea about live's player numbers.

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Play novice servers to grind. I don't think this is feasible on PTS (maybe on weekends?) because there aren't enough low-level players, no idea about live's player numbers.

When I did a CTF quick match a few months back, I didn't get paired up with a single player. Steamcharts put the game at around 200 players at the time, though.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should just make every server ALL instead of the 3-4 10-50 level servers that are always full. Im only level 15 and havent played in years so its not like im not getting stomped into the dirt.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh man, mid-2000's e-sports. It's so overwrought and forced and no one had any idea what they were doing. I love it. :allears:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

They are putting in so much effort trying to disguise the fact that it is people playing a video game.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

eSporks posted:

They are putting in so much effort trying to disguise the fact that it is people playing a video game.

It still seems to me they are doing everything they can to make it look like sports even today.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Logged on PTS. Saber launcher still makes people mad.

Just like the old days. :unsmith:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
lmfao guess SMITE didn't work out, so now they're trying to earn back any dignity they can

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

loving gently caress can we just go back to Tribes 2

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

lmfao guess SMITE didn't work out, so now they're trying to earn back any dignity they can
More like SMITE worked out decently well, and now that they have cash they are making a new game and either throwing spare on Tribes to do an interest check, or just making up some sort of activity around Tribes to make impression on SMITE players that it won't be abandoned with the coming of new project, like Tribes and Global Agenda were.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kalstrams posted:

More like SMITE worked out decently well, and now that they have cash they are making a new game and either throwing spare on Tribes to do an interest check, or just making up some sort of activity around Tribes to make impression on SMITE players that it won't be abandoned with the coming of new project, like Tribes and Global Agenda were.

I don't buy that. gently caress Hi-Rez.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
FILTHY SANDRAKER SCUM

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I don't buy that. gently caress Hi-Rez.
Same, not buying genuine revival here, not until a year or two after.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kalstrams posted:

Same, not buying genuine revival here, not until a year or two after.

I want a vibrant active Tribes game like what existed before but I also want Hi-Rez to crash and burn for what they did. This PTS stuff is conflicting.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kalstrams is right though, and even underselling it a bit. The MOBA bubble popped hard and left atop the rubble are League and DotA 2, with SMITE raking in a very tidy third place as the others sputter out one by one. As to this sudden defib to T:A being altruistic, I'm in the same camp you are, where I think the moment the community doesn't flood back in overnight, they'll pull the plug again. And it won't, it could not possibly see a resurgence in whatever absurd time frame they have on this experiment, so pucker up.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I can't believe that they're reviving this for reasons Kalstrams is saying. They see the writing on the wall with MOBAs and they know SMITE's going to loving die. I hope the managers at Hi-Rez never work a salaried job again.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

You are really, really angry over a video game.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You are really, really angry over a video game.

I admit to this. Doesn't make what HiRez did any less worse.

Tangentially related, :laffo:

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/642951858802266112

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I admit to this. Doesn't make what HiRez did any less worse.

Tangentially related, :laffo:

https://twitter.com/BroTeamPill/status/642951858802266112

While I like the guy, I'mma need a source on that. Because hoooooly gently caress that sounds so loving awful if true.

The guy being ol' Brote there. Not the character/VA.

• Locked thread