Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Status not available, what was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't believe that they're reviving this for reasons Kalstrams is saying. They see the writing on the wall with MOBAs and they know SMITE's going to loving die. I hope the managers at Hi-Rez never work a salaried job again.

I'm sure they feel bad for disappointing bitter nerds whilst they do blow off hookers in a Scrooge McDuck money vault that Smite has made them.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Anatharon posted:

Status not available, what was it?

voice actor for hi-rez is an sa mod

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I wonder if maybe now that Smite is working on the XBONE they may be going back to Tribes and investigating porting that as well.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Do I need to have the public test client to play the new Tribes?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yes, and if you have Tribes already installed you may need to wipe your graphics settings because something doesn't play nice with a few of the changes in PTS and causes weird rendering.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
gently caress, I was only thinking about this the other day.

Time to take the ol' bike out for a spin.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

lmfao guess SMITE didn't work out, so now they're trying to earn back any dignity they can
hi-rez hosted a tournament for smite with a $2.6m prize pool
smite is doing fine

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'll never spend another cent on this game, so I hope hirez is doing it out of goodwill and good PR. If they expect me to give them money ever again, it won't ever be for this game and only if they made a complete 180 and maintained that attitude.

lollllllllllllllllllll

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
It's probably a small faction of devs that actually enjoyed working and developing T:A but were forced to switch to Smite because HiRez executives were unhappy that tribes didn't overtake Counter-Strike for e-sports.

These same executives probably forced those devs to introduce 'strictly better items to increase cash flow, thus destroying any future for the game by scaring off regulars and players who couldn't afford the time or money to even out the playing field.

All this on top of a time period where skill shooters have been extremely unpopular with the PC crowd.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I want to believe.

I want to [VGS].

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Scratch that, I can't even log in. Been trying for the last hour, servers show as UNKNOWN in the launcher and all I get is a lost connection message when I try to log in. Also apparently my account is only level 5? I was much, much higher than that when I stopped playing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

nightwisher posted:

Scratch that, I can't even log in. Been trying for the last hour, servers show as UNKNOWN in the launcher and all I get is a lost connection message when I try to log in. Also apparently my account is only level 5? I was much, much higher than that when I stopped playing.

From what I understand everyone got reset but everyone owns everything anyway. Level is meaningless, time is eternal, hail satan

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

From what I understand everyone got reset but everyone owns everything anyway. Level is meaningless, time is eternal, hail satan
There are level-gated servers. From little I've played on PTS, if you're European you're playing three other people across all servers not gated at at least level 10.

nightwisher posted:

Welcome to a test server.

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

Anyone tried the new map Terminus?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Everyone seems to have gotten a bump to rank 50, VIP and some gold for voicepacks on test server.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

So after playing a few games...

They need to make auto's spread at least a little,
Snipers are so easy to counter now every light can be packing its good,
Falling and the jets are still weird/broken,
I wish all the fusors worked like the blinkfusor

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, IMO they need to increase spread on the automatics, greatly reduce the projectile velocity, and give bullets 100% inheritance to compensate (they have 0% now, Spinfusors have 50%.)

The velocity and inheritance changes would make them useful for chasing while reducing their effectiveness at close range, and the spread change because, well, they're pretty goddamn accurate. It is pretty loving scary just how deadly the automatics are, and if someone draws one on you while you're mid-air, you don't have enough potential movement speed to make yourself an unpredictable target and will just get gunned down.

A lot of the combat I've seen recently has been two players with shield packs ADADing on the ground while bullet-hosing each other like loving Planetside2, it seems so un-Tribes-like that not flying or going fast while walking back and forth is a valid combat strategy.

I spent a lot of time yesterday with a Spinfusor / Throwing Knives loadout and those things are straight bullshit, they hit like a truck and have near-bullet velocity, I dropped a couple of cappers with shots from ranges I had no business hitting from.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Fina posted:

Yeah, IMO they need to increase spread on the automatics, greatly reduce the projectile velocity, and give bullets 100% inheritance to compensate (they have 0% now, Spinfusors have 50%.)

We can dream.

I think the auto players are what killed it for me last time, it was just pointless to use a fusor in tribes :(

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nation posted:

We can dream.

I think the auto players are what killed it for me last time, it was just pointless to use a fusor in tribes :(

I for one enjoy being a filling the air with AA fire as a heavy, also getting a trail of bullets into a good capper always feels good.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

I don't mean the autos should go or anything just like the example, its basically heavy and meds wasd around with a shield spraying everyone to death - not fun and you either have to use an auto or get perfect hits

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

So i only skimmed the OP but I can't get into the game via steam. It loads the launcher, i click play and it begins to load, resizes my monitor, then crashes every time. Is there a separate non steam executable I need to get? This game gives me no hope but I played a shitload of tribes and I will MA each and everyone of you in the face before i give up again for another 5 years.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

TheTrend posted:

So i only skimmed the OP but I can't get into the game via steam. It loads the launcher, i click play and it begins to load, resizes my monitor, then crashes every time. Is there a separate non steam executable I need to get? This game gives me no hope but I played a shitload of tribes and I will MA each and everyone of you in the face before i give up again for another 5 years.
I am confused by your wording here. Have you played Tribes Ascend before? If the answer is no, don't bother. Load up T2 and await a few months to see how this PTS thing shakes out.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

X1 + Chaingun + Chaincannon + The Hammer + Handheld Discs. Endless bullets with the comedy plate dunk!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tried a match on PTS and it was filled with chainers and snipers still. However I also accidentally tried a match on the old servers which are just as populated, and there were no snipers at all, I actually had a fun match of Tribes? :shrug:

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
All of the vets on on PTS and therefore leaving the live servers less of a mess.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Tace Vim posted:

Anyone tried the new map Terminus?

Yes. It loving owns. You can tell if a map is good or not, because within a week, there will be route videos for it. Whether that's an effect of withdrawal of having anything to work with or not, I don't know... but for all intents and purposes, the map hits it out the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgJHOZ_bVIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK1TvixP3Lc

Jehde posted:

Tried a match on PTS and it was filled with chainers and snipers still. However I also accidentally tried a match on the old servers which are just as populated, and there were no snipers at all, I actually had a fun match of Tribes? :shrug:

Chainers? Are you an honorfusor player? If so, go play on Raspy's Roadhouse. It's basically catered for your kind.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rynex posted:

Yes. It loving owns. You can tell if a map is good or not, because within a week, there will be route videos for it. Whether that's an effect of withdrawal of having anything to work with or not, I don't know... but for all intents and purposes, the map hits it out the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qgJHOZ_bVIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK1TvixP3Lc

Chainers? Are you an honorfusor player? If so, go play on Raspy's Roadhouse. It's basically catered for your kind.

Although automatic weapons prob need slower speed or more spread, most people who complain are the kind that will miss 8 spinfusor shots in a row and think you are the bad one for hitting them with bullets.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Over a minute set up time and just sitting there as floating sniper bait at low life for the entire length of his regen.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Although automatic weapons prob need slower speed or more spread, most people who complain are the kind that will miss 8 spinfusor shots in a row and think you are the bad one for hitting them with bullets.

It's not about being gitting gud though? It's about having a fun match of Tribes. And sorry the emphasis should've been more on snipers. Chains are always going to be a thing in the game because a fusor doesn't make sense in every situation. I don't have a problem with chains being in Tribes, just with them being so effective at long range. Snipers are really dumb though, and PTS is full of them. I gather this is just a side effect of having new blood in the game.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Yeah it's :allears: to hear the players already making the exact same complaints again. Now we just need the "comp" players to come in and tell hirez that the servers need ff and different team sizes than the built in comp settings to complete the experience. I really am waiting to see how long the hirez puts up with the comp and e-honor crowd this time before the just say gently caress it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's insanely annoying that I'll be doing my capping route and some dude is spraying me with his chaingun or LMG from across the map, preventing me from regening because fail cappers slam into him at light speed and give him infinite ammo. Not a big problem on maps with lots of cover though. It's so freaking horrible on boardside and other maps without much though.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

xyigx posted:

Yeah it's :allears: to hear the players already making the exact same complaints again. Now we just need the "comp" players to come in and tell hirez that the servers need ff and different team sizes than the built in comp settings to complete the experience. I really am waiting to see how long the hirez puts up with the comp and e-honor crowd this time before the just say gently caress it.

I dont know why everyone isn't a heavy on the PTS, shield gen, mortar, chaingun, nova, and the saber launcer, take fractals and you are at peak rear end in a top hat.

I would like smaller team sizes, but thats just me, the game feels better when you dont have to try and break through 8 heavies and level 4 base turrets.

Although I wish I was good at sniping so I could keep my team from losing, having a good sniper makes your D feel impenetrable, facing one just makes you feel like your waiting to lose.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The best defense is a shitload of prism mines.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I dont know why everyone isn't a heavy on the PTS, shield gen, mortar, chaingun, nova, and the saber launcer, take fractals and you are at peak rear end in a top hat.

I would like smaller team sizes, but thats just me, the game feels better when you dont have to try and break through 8 heavies and level 4 base turrets.

Although I wish I was good at sniping so I could keep my team from losing, having a good sniper makes your D feel impenetrable, facing one just makes you feel like your waiting to lose.

I ran the invisible splat flag D infiltrator with mines and the hit scan sniper. Peak rear end in a top hat was my thing.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

eSporks posted:

Over a minute set up time and just sitting there as floating sniper bait at low life for the entire length of his regen.
Hello friend rootbeer. You right, it's not really that great now that I've looked at it seriously.
Safe fall allows for some crazy things. Here's a whole playlist of stupid capper poo poo from Xanthyr to make up for it.
An Example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAdJBWDne4A

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Made the mistake of playing on the small map server on the PTS, something about small maps makes half of both teams play halo midfield idgi.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Played this again for the first time since beta, and I'm not sure how I was ever good at it.

Fakedit: I wasn't

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bait and Swatch posted:

Played this again for the first time since beta, and I'm not sure how I was ever good at it.

Fakedit: I wasn't

There are only 5 players who are actually good at this game though so dont feel bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Genki
Feb 13, 2012

Would you like a reality climax?
Hi-Rez... How, um, "Hi" were you when you decided to remove classes? That's what made the game! I sincerely hope this thread and that Reddit post are giant ruses.

• Locked thread