Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nation posted:

Can anyone else not login? It says i need to update butttt i tried that and it says its fine.
Servers are down until September 28, give or take, and until then, the rollout of the new patch, you will neither be able to play nor to update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
my dueling spinfusor ;_;

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I forgot the pts was separate client oops.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

100% inheritance spinfusors only? Sniper and chain nerfs??? This is all sounding way too good to be true. I highly doubt they'd go as far as to fix the physics engine, but honestly I'm okay with that. I've played with the broken physics long enough that I'm more or less used to it.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

The engine can be fixed, but I doubt they would change is something that has been the same for years, unless there is a REALLY good reason for it. After talking to team mates, we're all super excited for this patch and the fact Tribes might actually be finally saved.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Rynex posted:

The engine can be fixed, but I doubt they would change is something that has been the same for years, unless there is a REALLY good reason for it. After talking to team mates, we're all super excited for this patch and the fact Tribes might actually be finally saved.

I think it's a bit of a misnomer to use the word 'saved'. If no advertising happens to bring back popularity, then this game will stay dead in the dirt despite it finally having balanced gameplay.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm sure they will advertise it. They plan on changing the money model to buying cosmetics, so that could be a big selling point.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think it's a bit of a misnomer to use the word 'saved'. If no advertising happens to bring back popularity, then this game will stay dead in the dirt despite it finally having balanced gameplay.

Oh yeah, I agree with you totally on this one. They should seriously consider rebranding the game as something other than tribes ascend. It's absolutely necessary so it can inspire the player base to come back and check it out. This is what I believe is the secret to the street fighter series doing so well for so long.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

Rynex posted:

The engine can be fixed, but I doubt they would change is something that has been the same for years, unless there is a REALLY good reason for it.

I would argue that the gameplay changes they've made in this patch fit this same description.

Depending on how the changes in PTS shake out the game will basically be a completely different game. They could almost justify releasing it as a whole new Tribes game and just leave T:A as-is. As long as they don't give it some dumb loving name like TRIBE5.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TRIB3S clearly.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Why can't they just make a visually updated Tribes1 or Tribes2 Classic, aka The Best Game(s) in The History of Ever? Hi-Rez killed Tribes by removing true freedom of movement (limited maps and speed caps) and introducing all the extraneous bullshit. Just give us the original physics, 3 classes, a couple of vehicles (Shrike, maybe the MPB), and be done with it. Keep the Commander Map and deployables. Restrict scripting to an extent to prevent poo poo like HappyMod from returning, though I admit non-cheating scripts were part of the fun. And no, I don't want any of the community created poo poo like Legends or anything similar.

With today's streaming technology and fast paced, true "e-sport" style of CTF matches, I think it would go over well with the right marketing. Goddamn, some of the best years of my gaming life were from playing on a CTF Ladder team, listening to shoutcasts of matches, dueling for hours on end to perfect my mid-air spinfusor shots, or hell, just skiing around the infinite maps for no reason other than to GO FAST. I've yet to find a game since T2 Classic (though I even enjoyed T2 base) that scratched the itch for strategic depth and twitch gameplay with such freedom of movement.

I played literally every day for over 10 years so I guess I'll give it a shot, but still.... gently caress you, Hi-Rez. Yes I am bitter and angry. Very few things elicit the rage in me as much as the murder of my beloved Video Game!!1 brb need to drink a beer or smoke a bowl to calm down now sorry

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 25, 2015

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
If I was King Tribes in charge of making the game I'd start off and balance around a fast, T1-style CTF mode that was geared more toward the competitive scene. Then I'd have a second game mode that is more T2-style where you have more focus on the larger maps, vehicles, base defense, and territory control.

There are groups that really like CTF and chasing, and then there are groups that really like the turrets and base defense part. Those two rarely seem to overlap, so trying to one-size-fits-all never seems to work.

It would be neat if you could find a reason to push all that base defense and generator defense gameplay into an offense, like a CAH mode where you had to keep the gens up for your team to actually points for owning that base. Or perhaps take some queues from T2 Siege mode for a mode where you'd have to tug-o-war between bases down a line.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
For sure, I'd love to see the old game modes come back. Between those and the more 'completely game breaking yet good' sort of mods like Shifter, there was just so much to do beyond the normal CTF game. Wasn't there even talk and some movement on a Tribes MMO, or at least very large semi-persistent world thing in development for a while?

This was really way back in the thread but holy poo poo... LoVer was on my team when he was known by a different name. He got much better than the rest of us and went to a bigger and better team haha. Holy crap this brings back memories!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 25, 2015

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ah poo poo, double post sorry.

Edit: I'll take this post to say I probably jumped the gun and raged too hard a couple of posts ago before I really read the community suggested patch requests. Some really good stuff in there that might get some attention. It's just that as many many people have said I've been burned so hard before :(

isaboo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 25, 2015

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, when Hi-Rez first picked up Tribes the first thing they announced was Tribes: Universe which was going to be some sort of MMOish thing. Then they later announced Tribes: Ascend for PC and 360 as a more traditional Tribes game and stepping stone for the next game. They later canned the MMO and 360 port.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

IIRC The tribes mmo was a actually a starsiege mmo and going to feature mechs heavily.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Yeah, I remember something about people finding HERCs in the T:A files.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Hi-rez add team rabbit 2

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I'll give this a try. My best T:A memories came from being as rear end in a top hat HoF (Mines+Barrier+Chaingun = Miserable Enemies) and playing Brute, hurking my fatass at breakneck speeds into the enemy base, and turning it into a disco party full of death discs. Fractal is getting a massive nerf, but it probably needed it.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Fina posted:

Yeah, I remember something about people finding HERCs in the T:A files.

There's Chris Sabbat and the Diamond Sword lady talking about deploying HERCs.

I still like how the Blood Eagle VO is loving Vegeta

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

This was really way back in the thread but holy poo poo... LoVer was on my team when he was known by a different name. He got much better than the rest of us and went to a bigger and better team haha. Holy crap this brings back memories!

What was your name and what team, I will ask him if he remembers you (it's likely he will. LoVer gets a loving huge hard-on for reminiscing over T2 and basically loving anything games we've just played.)

EDIT: We talked. Magic happened.

Rynex fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 25, 2015

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
PTS update should be up in ~30 minutes

e: or now

Malloc Voidstar fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 25, 2015

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

Fina posted:

It would be neat if you could find a reason to push all that base defense and generator defense gameplay into an offense, like a CAH mode where you had to keep the gens up for your team to actually points for owning that base. Or perhaps take some queues from T2 Siege mode for a mode where you'd have to tug-o-war between bases down a line.

Siege was actually an incredibly fun gametype in T2, especially when maps for it were well designed.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG
692 midair damage from a heavy spinfusor. Not a fan.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Hi-rez add team rabbit 2
I asked in the AMA and they said probably not.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
It's definitely an improvement.

Chasing is still a bit rear end, and even the big maps feel a bit too small to me, and the light grenade launcher has such an enormous fuse timer its almost useless, but its more fun than it was before.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Initial thoughts:

- 100% inheritance autos feel great and are bullshit-easy to use, especially at close range. I think they're going to need a bit lower DPS and maybe a bit of spread because they're loving brutal up close.
- Shocklance is a ton of fun to use, it's the only thing that can one-shot lights and mediums short of a direct mortar.
- Shotguns still feel really iffy and go back and forth between glancing hits and devastating blows at the same range.
- Linear explosions need a TON of work, they feel really limp right now. You can land a mortar for 50 damage, or get damage with shots you had no right to connect with.
- Lack of direct hit multiplier on Spinfusors feels awful. There is no reason to risk a mid-air shot when it will do as much damage as that guaranteed ground pound.
- Netcode and movement felt really jittery, could've just been the servers though.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

The game is A LOT slower paced with this update. Capping is super slow now without ego and lightweight, and impulse is very inconsistent without bands. The combat is also very slow with lower damages across the board.

100% inheritance chain is the bees knees though.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

eSporks posted:

The game is A LOT slower paced with this update. Capping is super slow now without ego and lightweight, and impulse is very inconsistent without bands. The combat is also very slow with lower damages across the board.

lights have ego and lightweight as part of the class now i think, not had any problems going fast myself.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

eSporks posted:

Ego and Lightweight are built in to the Light class now, so it's not that. Might just be some difficulty with the changes to explosives and their impulse.

E: Further on that note, now I never have to make a choice about being Heavyweight or not as a Heavy, hoorah.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I'm not sure its working right then. Or maybe its just the values of things being tweaked. Impact, Impact, Disc kills you at point blank and doesn't seem to provide a lot of impulse when it doesn't.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
I think part of the 100% inheritance autos being good is just that they have such enormous rates of fire and they aren't burst-fire, so when you do land a hit if you're tracking remotely well you land like 8 hits in a second.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

kznlol posted:

I think part of the 100% inheritance autos being good is just that they have such enormous rates of fire and they aren't burst-fire, so when you do land a hit if you're tracking remotely well you land like 8 hits in a second.
Nah, I think its the part where you bullets actually appear on your screen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9uk1Mtm8Fc

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kznlol posted:

This plus the nerf to the direct hit bonus means everyone is chaining if you cant groundpound, so in the update where they tried to nerf chains, I have seen more people using them than before, and I think its just people stopped bothering with blue plates when they dont really do anything.

Every light now has a sniper and everyone is chaining, which I admit is probably because playing on the PTS against people who have played tribes for 15 years doesn't help.

Also at range it seems like I either hit for 50 damage while being no where near them, or I hit for a full 700 just hitting near them, might be some lag with the new damage values though.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

Hi-rez hates spinfusors

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nation posted:

Hi-rez hates spinfusors

*plays heavy*

*lands direct hit with bolt launcher*

*663 damage*

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Blaster OP as gently caress now. Jesus christ HiRez, way to take a thing often considered a joke weapon and turn it into a murder machine. (Yeah, it was already pretty strong to begin with, but now it's better than anything.)

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I thought it felt a little worse than before since it gets damage falloff, though the projectile velocity went way up.

I'm having a ton of fun with the shocklance though, that thing is pretty fun to whip out.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So is Hi-Rez actually putting some effort into this thing or are we gonna get a repeat once they get SMITE 2 out the door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
No loving clue, but HiRezSean has listened to and implemented more player feedback in the last four weeks than the other devs did in the entire life on T:A.

• Locked thread