Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Thatnkfully they put Aussie servers up for this time, to i can play! On the other hand i was literally the only aussie playing in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I was already pretty hyped after trying PTS when it first went live, but the thread and new updates have me even more hyped. A thousand hours and a lot of comp play in Tribes and it was all so fun, and now it'll just be better.

Rynex, whens the Ego revival? I'll need to play with you all again when more updates are live, and relearn how to disc. Chain is stupid easy even after not playing for months but discs aren't anymore.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Something feels really weird with the disc right now, damage model excluded. All of these easy shots seem to whiff left and right. I can't tell if it is netcode changes or the various movement tweaks throwing off my learned inheritance guesses. I was hitting reliably in PTS1 but I'm loving useless in PTS2.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
Didn't they change the hitbox sizes for impact weapons too?

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
They did, they're actually 50% larger than before which makes my sudden inability to hit poo poo all the more frustrating.

Maybe they fudged the numbers and made them 50% smaller by accident.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Jesus, I'm terrible at this. Is there something new players miss a lot other than always going fast?

It doesn't help that right now snipers seem to rule everything, and I'm terrible with snipers even when the targets aren't 10 pixels high and moving ridiculously fast. I'm also getting some shots doing hundreds of damage and others <10 with the energy sniper rifle, what's going on with that?

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fina posted:

They did, they're actually 50% larger than before which makes my sudden inability to hit poo poo all the more frustrating.

Maybe they fudged the numbers and made them 50% smaller by accident.

Now I can't chain anything for poo poo, and trying to mid-air is a waste of a shot, hopefully they add the direct hit bonus back.

Also now trying to be heavy O is painful, I hope they make something besides light have some control.

Edit: We all playing light now.

Turtle Sandbox fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 27, 2015

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I have no idea what they did to spins but yea something needs tweaking a little, heres hoping they can fix the movement/jets

Idiootti
Apr 11, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Jesus, I'm terrible at this. Is there something new players miss a lot other than always going fast?

It doesn't help that right now snipers seem to rule everything, and I'm terrible with snipers even when the targets aren't 10 pixels high and moving ridiculously fast. I'm also getting some shots doing hundreds of damage and others <10 with the energy sniper rifle, what's going on with that?

If you're playing PTS there's a very real chance that you're playing against people who have played Tribes games for >10 years, so it isn't a very welcoming environment to learn in.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Id say get good with hitscan weapons, those are always really good if you can land them, and all you have to do is point and click, no leading targets or inheritance bs, just kills.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright yeah PTS2 is unplayably bad now that everyone has figured out that it's almost impossible for the enemy to cap or chase your carrier if your team has 10 lights with thrust pack, LAR, BXT, and your choice of grenade and explosive weapon

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

Alright yeah PTS2 is unplayably bad now that everyone has figured out that it's almost impossible for the enemy to cap or chase your carrier if your team has 10 lights with thrust pack, LAR, BXT, and your choice of grenade and explosive weapon

The game right now feels closer to quakelive, hipfiring the bxt at close range feels like a legit raigun and decides most fights, and if you can LAR or throw knives you basically win.

Some people keep trying to make medium work but most people have gotten on the light train, and after trying to make heavy work, light feels like you are a loving helicopter.

Someone said HoF is broken now, but I havent seen it yet, or just everyone said gently caress trying to HoF when I can duel and chase and actually move.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!
What in the gently caress. I thought this game was dead.

I know what I am doing after work.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Tried out PTS2, still a cluster gently caress of chains and hit scans. Their intentions seem to be good, but there's still a lot of tweaking that needs to be done.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Agreed. I had fun playing the PTS but light armor definitely feels wayyyyy more powerful than the other classes.

I had (have) a really odd keybinding setup (WASD? hah!) that I use for Tribes exclusively and it's been so long since I've played that I basically just stood there and tried to shoot Rynex with the Sabre or whatever the missile launcher is while I tried to reacquaint myself with the game. Sorry for the cheap kills, though I only got a couple anyway. Once I get that muscle memory back I'll be good!

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 27, 2015

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

pahuyuth posted:

Agreed. I had fun playing the PTS but light armor definitely feels wayyyyy more powerful than the other classes.

Whatever they did it's just super easy to hit 200 as a light now, I used to have to work at it and now it's more it just kinda happens without me noticing. Whereas I have to really work to hit 150 as a medium, or as a heavy I hit 100 and cry because my life is out of control.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Horizontal Tree posted:

Rynex, whens the Ego revival? I'll need to play with you all again when more updates are live, and relearn how to disc. Chain is stupid easy even after not playing for months but discs aren't anymore.
if you guys need someone to fill the position of missing the flag on a clear stand I am so down to fill in again.

I'm holding off on learning new routes for now because impulse and regen are kinda hosed.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
HiRezSean regarding physics changes noted in this topic:

HiRezSean posted:

Definitely listening, but we are rather focused on this current PTS with weapon changes. I'd like to adjust some things on weapons before we start digging into movement. I know there will be some re-balancing to do after any jetting changes, but there is a lot of upheaval around the latest pts and it would be unwise to change more core functionality without first little the dust settle on weapons.

Makes it sound like we'll get another PTS update (or two) to polish the weapon changes before getting into physics stuff.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Yep, that was in response to my effort post. I still think they should do physics first as all if the balance is tied to it. I also hope we get a full rewrite of the code and not just tweaks to the already broken one.

The biggest issue with current jet code is that it's just a mid to stock UDK air strafing. It uses vector rotation, which essentially means that momentum is conserved through a turn, similar to a plane. This allows for wide sweeping turns and plenty of course correction with minimal speed loss. It is in part why back to fronts are so common, they cost little to set up. It also creates a system where jets need to be weak and speed is hard to gain, but easy to maintain, this is bad for chasing.

Pepper thrust based jets would use vector addition, think asteroids or lunar lander. In order to turn you have to counteract your momentum. Thus means that turning will always burn speed, or energy, or both. Speeds become self limiting as the faster you go the harder it is to turn. Jets also need to be strong, so they become useful for gaining speed. It creates a system where speed is easy to gain, hard to maintain. This is good for chasing.

The game also has a lot of Jetless Air Control (JAC), or basic air strafing. This means that small corrections or dodges in duels come at 0 energy cost.

This would if course completely change the balance of everything, which is why it needs to be done first.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 27, 2015

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
If they had stronger, jet-based air strafing I think it'd make fighting against autos a lot less annoying.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Stronger air control is a terrible idea cause its already part of why MAing is so hard compared to earlier Tribes games. IIRC they can't even program proper directional jetting and minimize non-jet air control for some engine reason.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Fina posted:

If they had stronger, jet-based air strafing I think it'd make fighting against autos a lot less annoying.
I think you are agreeing with me, but using the term air strafing makes it confusing. We need proper thrust modeling, not the enhanced air strafing we have now.

Horizontal Tree posted:

Stronger air control is a terrible idea cause its already part of why MAing is so hard compared to earlier Tribes games. IIRC they can't even program proper directional jetting and minimize non-jet air control for some engine reason.
Again, I feel like we are on the same page, but its one of those situations where word choice becomes very critical. Stronger aerial movement would not be bad, if its done right. If we use a proper thrust model trajectories would be more predictable and movement would be more closely tied to energy. It is totally doable, Project Freefall has it, the the abandoned TAC mod had it. They also said 100% inheritance on chain weapons was an engine limitation and we can see how that turned out.

T1/2 had FAR stronger horizontal jetting than TA does. What it did not have was any form of jetless air control, and because of the vector addition addition as apposed to rotation it meant that once you went a direction it was hard to change it. To use an example, if you jet west for 1 second to dodge, you would need to jet for 1 second east just to cancel it. In TA with the air strafing vector rotation model you can easily snake around and change your direction, even without suing energy.
Its not as much about the strength of the "control" but fundamentally how it works.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thats exactly what I meant, thus my comment on directional jets, which T:A lacks entirely.
Lets not all forget that ADADADADing used to make you climb higher while jetting for seemingly no reason!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Horizontal Tree posted:

Thats exactly what I meant, thus my comment on directional jets, which T:A lacks entirely.
Lets not all forget that ADADADADing used to make you climb higher while jetting for seemingly no reason!
I thought it still did?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Someone just :gas: this thread and make a Tribes 1 or 2 thread instead.

I still miss mods. :( Starsiege Tribes was the pillar of my adolescent online shooter experience.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tree I'm confused is this Tribes or not is it good or not

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully they just nerf the BXT and restore some mobility to heavies and mediums. Even so I still had fun once I embraced the light and started trying to nail those mid range rails.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

eSporks posted:

I think you are agreeing with me, but using the term air strafing makes it confusing. We need proper thrust modeling, not the enhanced air strafing we have now.
Yeah, I just poorly worded it. I was more referring to how you could use your jets to move sideways in the previous games.

What do people think about a projectile-based BXT? Something more along the lines of the old Throwing Knives that had a really high projectile speed and projectile drop but hit pretty hard. Then you could have energy rifles = hitscan, bxt rifles = projectiles.

We seem to be at this weird spot right now where chasing is so broken so they try to make weapons built for chasing but end up making something that is just too effective all-around. I don't know how a projectile BXT would play but it seems like it'd be more 'fun' to counter than hitscan.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What actually changed, if anything, when the server went down? Joined a game and its still 10+ lights on every team.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PTS1 was 10 heavies.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kalstrams posted:

PTS1 was 10 heavies.

I like HO so im biased, did they nerf the BXT? Only thing I can see is people using it not all the time.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Turtle Sandbox posted:

I like HO so im biased, did they nerf the BXT? Only thing I can see is people using it not all the time.
They changed it so it is now a mid-range rifle in the vein of Quake's railgun.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Horizontal Tree posted:

Ego never broke up. We just don't play Tribes comp anymore. Last time we played anything competitively together was Rust (for a charity competition, we won, and donated our funds to the charity. Made some kid lost his absolute mind too.)

If there's some kind of comp scene, then I'm sure Ego will make an appearance. Again, my participation in any games relates to free time, which is vaguely a concept.

Played new PTS. Blaster is OP now because everything else is weak.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Rynex posted:

Ego never broke up. We just don't play Tribes comp anymore. Last time we played anything competitively together was Rust (for a charity competition, we won, and donated our funds to the charity. Made some kid lost his absolute mind too.)

If there's some kind of comp scene, then I'm sure Ego will make an appearance. Again, my participation in any games relates to free time, which is vaguely a concept.

Played new PTS. Blaster is OP now because everything else is weak.

I never played T1 or T2, wsa the TTK alot more like the PTS or like live tribes? They seem to want to lower damage and make killing people take longer.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

More like T2 I guess. I have very little knowledge of T1's TTK unfortunately.

You can still shred people with the Chaingun, but it takes like a full clip now. Direct discs just do not do much damage at all now, since they scrapped the damage bonus on direct hits. That means that mid-airing is very underwhelming. Now, when you realize that the weapons feel like pale imitations of their previous incarnations, you start exploring what other options you have. The blaster hits for 250 per hit at short range and doesn't have much damage fall off. It has virtually no knockback as well, so you do not even feel the thing hitting you. It's creepy as gently caress.

The way I figured it after messing around a bit, you want to hit someone with the blaster a few times and switch to a disc or a chaingun to finish up a target. There's no point unloading full clips of chain into people, it's only good for cleaning up kills. Blaster was always crazy good, but the chaingun was reliable. Now it feels like the blaster is a necessary thing.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The shocklance is crazy good too. I'm almost finding it better than the Spinfusor at ranges where I'd try going for easy mid-airs. It is hitscan, the range is deceptively long, and it can one-shot mediums with a back hit.

I may try a Spin - Blaster - Shocklance loadout and see how I do with it.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
bxt railgun is the silliest thing.

get rid of it entirely. Tribes sniper rifles cost energy and shoot laser beams :colbert:

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Has there been anyword on the next ptr?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

asterioth posted:

Has there been anyword on the next ptr?
https://twitter.com/TribesAscend/status/654774949622583296
next week (which starts tomorrow)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

I can't wait to see what they are going to gently caress up next. I was genuinely hype for PTS, but it seems that Sean and friends are doing too much, too fast and it's slowly becoming more of a trainwreck.

• Locked thread