Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Overemotional Robot posted:

How did I not know about those shorts? Those are awesome!

This one especially: https://youtu.be/_2WMLV1UeuM

That one is among my favorites! The new shorts are one of the reasons I'm actually casually optimistic about the new Duck Tales cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Whoa. WHOA. NEW Duck Tales? Holy moly!

I just looked it up and it looks pretty cool. I think they'll do my childhood justice. Now I'm even more disappointed that DI is canceled, though, because that means we probably would have gotten a Scrooge figure in 2017.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 16, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Yeah I've been keeping up with the Youtube Mickey shorts and they're great. I love those, and it's really the first time Mickey's been allowed to have some personality and act out in a long, long time.

But I still get the impression that on the merchandising side of things, which DI falls into, they're pretty protective of Mickey's image and what he's allowed to do or be in. That may have loosened up in recent years, especially with the 3.0 set getting a proper Mickey Mouse figure that wasn't the Sorceror Apprentice version, but who knows.

And yeah the new Ducktales has a great look to it.

I was really hoping we'd get a Scrooge figure with it too. Oh well.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Different departments definitely get different levels of freedom. Video games have always been the redheaded step child.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Maybe that's the reason they never made any Muppets figures, it'd show how silly the staunch barrier placing between franchises would really be.

Having a Muppets play-set but not being able to use Luke Skywalker in said set wouldn't make any sense when there's a precedent for him to be there.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
This "character not allowed to interact" wonder if this is the reason Kingdom Hearts almost never allowed for interactivity between worlds beyond characters only allowed to interact if it on the Square created areas like Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden?

Plus there their weird policy with Kingdom Hearts where the games are not allowed to have digital versions even through they happily put a demo online or have a mobile game for the series.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rirse posted:

This "character not allowed to interact" wonder if this is the reason Kingdom Hearts almost never allowed for interactivity between worlds beyond characters only allowed to interact if it on the Square created areas like Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden?

Plus there their weird policy with Kingdom Hearts where the games are not allowed to have digital versions even through they happily put a demo online or have a mobile game for the series.

Yeah, Disney historically would allow Sora, Donald, and Goofy to move between worlds (as well as the FF and KH original characters) but the Disney ones had to stay in their own bubbles. It's why you would only get new party members for their home world and couldn't take Beast with you to Agribah or whatever.

It was silly then and it's silly now, but it sounds like the DI team might have finally gotten a workaround that made everyone happy for 4.0? That's a shame we didn't get to see it.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
If anyone is interested in the Wonderland or Nemo stuff you should probably buy them as soon as you see them hit shelves since it seems like an unknown amount of stores aren't going to even be carrying those last few products, in addition to some already starting to massively sell off/send back(?) the stock they've got now. So it's best to start hunting now if you're still looking for anything and don't wanna have to get it online later.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

On that same note it would be cool if people dropped a line about sales if they see them. If that's ok in the thread, that is.

I'm thinking that with all the stock and the cancellation the figures are going to get pretty cheap.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If anyone is interested in the Wonderland or Nemo stuff you should probably buy them as soon as you see them hit shelves since it seems like an unknown amount of stores aren't going to even be carrying those last few products, in addition to some already starting to massively sell off/send back(?) the stock they've got now. So it's best to start hunting now if you're still looking for anything and don't wanna have to get it online later.

This is true. Right now is a good time to pick up DI figures from non-Amazon sites like Best Buy, Gamestop, or Toys R Us, especially if you can work the system with coupon codes(check RetailMeNot) or cashback sites(check Cashback Monitor for best rates) because everyone is trying to dump stock, so you can definitely save some bucks filling out your collections. No matter what happens with the online serves, a year from now the figures will be more expensive than they are now even if it's just by a few dollars each.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I'm feeling kinda sad about seeing a bunch of petitions springing up over the past week and seeing people of all sorts trying to rally behind them. Like even if the petitions got a load of traction...like what's the end goal here? Canceling the franchise put a bunch of things into motion that I don't think would be that easy to undo. Like would a successful petition mean Avalanche becomes un-closed? Does everyone who got let go suddenly get the option to be re-hired and everything can go back to the way it was before the news hit?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never going to get Brer Rabbit :qq:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

Never going to get Brer Rabbit :qq:

Disney Infinity 0.6

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
In that regard, anyone got a extra Vanillope? When I got rid of the figures I didn't want, I noticed she was among them. I kept Ralph so there no point in buying the two pack through.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I'm feeling kinda sad about seeing a bunch of petitions springing up over the past week and seeing people of all sorts trying to rally behind them. Like even if the petitions got a load of traction...like what's the end goal here? Canceling the franchise put a bunch of things into motion that I don't think would be that easy to undo. Like would a successful petition mean Avalanche becomes un-closed? Does everyone who got let go suddenly get the option to be re-hired and everything can go back to the way it was before the news hit?

The petitions are pretty :unsmith: but I personally think the Infinity bird has been scared away and won't be coming back. A lot of people probably wouldn't even consider working on anything Disney anytime soon anymore either.

I'm almost positive some kind of studio will rise from the ashes as that's the nature of closures and there are only 2 other studios around, neither of which are hiring really, so there's no where in games for anyone who wants to stay in Utah to go, but who knows how long that will take and what form it will take.

But, no. I'm pretty sure IN is gone. Just my own theorycrafting, though.

mutata fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 17, 2016

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

mutata posted:

The petitions are pretty :unsmith: but I personally think the Infinity bird has been scared away and won't be coming back. A lot of people probably wouldn't even consider working on anything Disney anytime soon anymore either.

I'm almost positive some kind of studio will rise from the ashes as that's the nature of closures and there are only 2 other studios around, neither of which are hiring really, so there's no where in games for anyone who wants to stay in Utah to go, but who knows how long that will take and what form it will take.

But, no. I'm pretty sure IN is gone. Just my own theorycrafting, though.
Would you go back to work at Avalanche 2.0 for Disney again if they'd ask you?

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
Nope.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That would be a very interesting conversation. I think there are some massive trust issues between SLC game devs and the Mouse now, obviously.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I hope they keep making the figures in some form, even if it isn't for a game. The Pixar look gives them so much character and they look nice sitting on my desk. I've gotten a couple compliments on the first Cap one, and I think non-gamey people see them as just a neat mini-statue versus a toy, similar to Funko bobbleheads.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I'm curious if someone would be able to "hack" the figures to serve some purpose on PC. I don't know exactly what the purpose of that would be, but when you plug the base into a PC port, it recognizes it as the Disney base.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone seen a hot deal for these yet?Wal Mart and Target dropped a phew today but nothing radical

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Singles were 40% off at Toys R Us the other day when I picked up a few for my niece and nephews

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah any characters you guys reccomend? Going to get Nick from zootopia and baloo just incase they dissapear, would like to get other smaller ones

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
My guess, based on the current predicament, is that there won't necessarily be a shortage of any of them.

Target has had a huge Cartwheel app discount (70%, I think ) on 1.0 and 2.0 stuff, but my local store hasn't had any of that stuff for a long time.

As far as characters that are a hoot to play as...

From 1.0... Elsa is badass, Rapunzel is pretty fun... Violet and Mrs. Incredible are cool. Stay away from the Monster's Inc characters. The Cars characters are pretty much worthless outside of their playset (which wasn't that bad, actually.)

From 2.0... The Marvel stuff is mostly great, though some of them lack uniqueness. I'd say go with characters you like, although I had no idea who Nova was and he turned out to be my favorite of the Marvel folks. The Disney stuff was pretty forgettable, with the exception of maybe Maleficent, who is balls-out badass.

From 3.0... I haven't played a ton of different 3.0 stuff... I LOVE both Ahsoka and Sabine from the Star Wars stuff. Unfortunately, while the Inside Out characters are really great for their playset, they really aren't great outside of that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cool thanks for the heads up.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

mutata posted:

I've been thinking about trying to auction off my King Mickey disc for a children's charity of some sort. No idea how to go about setting that up and publicizing it though

Honestly you could probably just toss it on eBay. Last I had checked they were going for $180ish, but that'll probably go up now.

I'd love to buy it from you but I can't exactly spend that kind of money on one disc here.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

I just found out that discs scanned on the console carry over to the PC. Cool! I hope somehow people find a way to eventually mod or unlock things on the PC after the servers shut down.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Overemotional Robot posted:

I just found out that discs scanned on the console carry over to the PC. Cool! I hope somehow people find a way to eventually mod or unlock things on the PC after the servers shut down.

Figures do that now too, they basically eliminated the old code-based unlock system like a month ago by adding that.

It's really nice because there were a lot of used figures we'd picked up that can be used everywhere now.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Kelp Plankton posted:

Figures do that now too, they basically eliminated the old code-based unlock system like a month ago by adding that.

It's really nice because there were a lot of used figures we'd picked up that can be used everywhere now.

That is awesome to hear. I just lost a Hawkeye code before I'd put it in.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Apparently DI as a franchise hit the billion dollar mark for its 3 years of existence, but Disney being super averse to risk bailed because they figured it was all downhill from here so best kill it quick before it actually loses money.

"Risk aversion" my butt, they should've waited and saw. It COULD have still grown, especially with proper Steam/mobile support and premium add-on modes. Hell, have the figures do multiple things across different games, whatever! They hit the mark, made money, and got cold feet after all that investment because, oh poo poo, making big bucks long term in games is hard! And we don't like "hard"! But we dove in anyway!

(At least in the press release they made a point to say it wasn't an easy decision, I guess?)

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Agent Escalus posted:

"Risk aversion" my butt, they should've waited and saw. It COULD have still grown, especially with proper Steam/mobile support and premium add-on modes. Hell, have the figures do multiple things across different games, whatever!
Also, it was manufacturing and selling figures at retail was becoming a problem, the game itself was pretty solid. I'm not sure why they couldn't have scrapped the figures and gone to a completely digital, free-to-play style model like the PC version has been all along. Just let the figures and other game pieces register to your account, to grandfather them in, again just like the PC version is already made for.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Agent Escalus posted:

Apparently DI as a franchise hit the billion dollar mark for its 3 years of existence, but Disney being super averse to risk bailed because they figured it was all downhill from here so best kill it quick before it actually loses money.

"Risk aversion" my butt, they should've waited and saw. It COULD have still grown, especially with proper Steam/mobile support and premium add-on modes. Hell, have the figures do multiple things across different games, whatever! They hit the mark, made money, and got cold feet after all that investment because, oh poo poo, making big bucks long term in games is hard! And we don't like "hard"! But we dove in anyway!

(At least in the press release they made a point to say it wasn't an easy decision, I guess?)
:derp: Oh no we have more money than we know what to do with! Quick burn it all!

Robot Hobo posted:

Also, it was manufacturing and selling figures at retail was becoming a problem, the game itself was pretty solid. I'm not sure why they couldn't have scrapped the figures and gone to a completely digital, free-to-play style model like the PC version has been all along. Just let the figures and other game pieces register to your account, to grandfather them in, again just like the PC version is already made for.

Why was selling a problem other than the terrible choic of characters and production forecasts apparently made by guessing?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Darth TNT posted:

Why was selling a problem other than the terrible choic of characters and production forecasts apparently made by guessing?

The production forecasts were probably enough to cause damage to the franchise from the money men's point of view. Over a million unsold Hulks sitting in a warehouse somewhere, no future ahead for them.

On another note, if the franchise had continued on a few more years, chances are probably high that we'd have gotten a Mary Poppins figure. Nothing to back it up really other than the fact it would have been a movie Disney would be promoting two years from now and it'd probably be the only time they could actually get a Mary Poppins figure approved.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Now Mary Poppins will never get a chance to teach Darth Vader to be a better father

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I don't think Disney is entirely wrong getting out while the getting is good. I'd be willing to bet that the bottom will fall out of the toys to life market within the next few years, due to oversaturation.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

On another note, if the franchise had continued on a few more years, chances are probably high that we'd have gotten a Mary Poppins figure.
Now I'm sad because that means we're missing out on possibly having a video game with Lin Manuel Miranda.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Darth TNT posted:

Well, they clearly weren't going to stop doing those things. It's just much less of a problem if you don't have to make a physical toy to sell with each one.

Plus, if you don't need to do that, it makes it even safer to add more fan-requested characters if they want, because it's safer all-around. If someone from the promotions department for a digital-only version demands they add the cast of Race to Witch Mountain into the game, and then nobody wants to buy that, they've only wasted a few days of game designers' work. With the toys-to-life anchor around their neck, it's that work plus sculpting, prototyping, manufacture, shipping, storage, and a warehouse full of unsellable trash to stand as an enduring monument to every poor choice.

Dropping the toys could also potentially open up the door a bit to whatever catches the fancy of someone in charge. If the designers got a few drinks into management, a handful of Leprechauns from 1959's Darby O'Gill and the Little People could be programmed and and ready for adding into the game before anyone gets a chance to say "Wait, seriously, what the hell?"

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 1, 2016

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Robot Hobo posted:

Dropping the toys could also potentially open up the door a bit to whatever catches the fancy of someone in charge. If the designers got a few drinks into management, a handful of Leprechauns from 1959's Darby O'Gill and the Little People could be programmed and and ready for adding into the game before anyone gets a chance to say "Wait, seriously, what the hell?"

"And now, Mickey and Friends adventure through the classic Disney film Song of the South!"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You're half-kidding, but there's no chance. Every single character, whether attached to a toy or not, had to go through multiple levels of approvals for every stage of production including initial idea (in the form of a text list of desired characters), concept, blockin, sculpt, in-game model, animation, script, and voice acting. Approvals for days.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

lol at the idea that making anything as complex as a playable licensed character in a video game would be a few days work. for an entire movie's cast

there's a reason why games take so long to make and it's not that people are taking their time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Like, I can't stress enough how involved the approvals process is, how much stuff was flat-out denied in the earliest stages, and just how many people were involved in just saying "yes" or "no" to literally everything in the game.

• Locked thread