Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The cool part about the apple lease, as opposed to a carrier lease is you can do an installment plan and take it to like a low cost carrier like Cricket. Or if you move to a place where your carriers coverage sucks you can change carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LionYeti posted:

The cool part about the apple lease, as opposed to a carrier lease is you can do an installment plan and take it to like a low cost carrier like Cricket. Or if you move to a place where your carriers coverage sucks you can change carriers.

Is that right? So if I switch from Verizon to AT&T for example, 6 months into the 24-month plan, can I just take the phone in, swap it for a new carrier phone with the same storage and carry on as normal? It's cheaper for me to be a part of my family's plan at the moment but if they decide to switch providers I'm kind of at their mercy.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is that right? So if I switch from Verizon to AT&T for example, 6 months into the 24-month plan, can I just take the phone in, swap it for a new carrier phone with the same storage and carry on as normal? It's cheaper for me to be a part of my family's plan at the moment but if they decide to switch providers I'm kind of at their mercy.

I'd assume that's what it would be you're leasing the phone from Apple not a carrier and they said in the presentation the phones gonna be unlocked. You wouldn't be getting a new phone you'd be swapping the sim card.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

LionYeti posted:

you're leasing the phone from Apple not a carrier

You aren't leasing, you are taking a 24 month personal loan from Citizen Bank. I'd actually be kind of curious as to how strict they are going to be as far as credit, the carriers are a little more forgiving seeing as they have a locked phone that they can blacklist and hold your phone number hostage on, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that even though the phones are unlocked that Apple will activation lock out phones that people stop making payments on.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Three Olives posted:

You aren't leasing, you are taking a 24 month personal loan from Citizen Bank. I'd actually be kind of curious as to how strict they are going to be as far as credit, the carriers are a little more forgiving seeing as they have a locked phone that they can blacklist and hold your phone number hostage on, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that even though the phones are unlocked that Apple will activation lock out phones that people stop making payments on.

I'm sure they are, they'd probably also blacklist the IMEI from all carriers

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

LionYeti posted:

I'm sure they are, they'd probably also blacklist the IMEI from all carriers

On the same note I'm wondering how carriers will respond to this. If people are free to bounce between carriers at will it could result in much more favorable rates to carrier financing just for the lock in.

I wonder if we will see say Samsung offering very favorable discounts to carriers should they say way, way undercut Apple on 18 month finance contracts with 12 month upgrades.

If I was Samsung and a carrier I would be offering one hell of a deal to seriously undercut Apple and on a bulk order on S6s for 12 month upgrade financing.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 10, 2015

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Three Olives posted:

On the same note I'm wondering how carriers will respond to this. If people are free to bounce between carriers at will it could result in much more favorable rates to carrier financing just for the lock in.

I wonder if we will see say Samsung offering very favorable discounts to carriers should they say way, way undercut Apple on 18 month finance contracts with 12 month upgrades.

I looked and there's some clarification it will let you jump between carriers just between the big 4 Verizon AT&T T-MO and Sprint apparently so its gonna be good just not as good.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

LionYeti posted:

I'd assume that's what it would be you're leasing the phone from Apple not a carrier and they said in the presentation the phones gonna be unlocked. You wouldn't be getting a new phone you'd be swapping the sim card.

Right but don't different providers use different technologies (CDMA/GSM) which would make the phones physically incompatible with other networks or is that a thing of the past?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

GobiasIndustries posted:

Right but don't different providers use different technologies (CDMA/GSM) which would make the phones physically incompatible with other networks or is that a thing of the past?

They do, but the iPhone supports them all the bands for each carrier . They don't have multiple phone models for each carrier anymore.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yes but the modern chipsets are able to support CDMA/GSM/LTE on the same devices and Apple has had the clout to get the CDMA carriers to certify and whitelist them for the more restrictive CDMA.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I did a phone lease before and hated it, mainly because they lost my phone when I returned it and gave me grief for months (carrier, not apple).

Is the old Apple TV now EOL, or is it going to get the new OS but without all the coolest stuff? I'm guessing it's locked to whatever version it's on now.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

EL BROMANCE posted:

I did a phone lease before and hated it, mainly because they lost my phone when I returned it and gave me grief for months (carrier, not apple).

Is the old Apple TV now EOL, or is it going to get the new OS but without all the coolest stuff? I'm guessing it's locked to whatever version it's on now.

Apple has not released a new OS build to devs, but has opened up a raffle to be able to buy the dev hardware early. So... Yeah.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I would imagine that given they're still selling the old Apple TV alongside the new models, they'll get the OS upgrade, just not the App Store or Siri. At the very least, they should get a graphical refresh.

Then again, the Nano still sports the old skeuomorphic look, so…

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

EL BROMANCE posted:

Again, technical nitpick, but the carrier plans are not a lease, but instead a 0% APR purchase plan, and you own the phone, and you do eventually owe the entire amount on the device unless you take advantage of their switching options.

Apple's is more nebulous, but I am guessing you still own the device in that case. You'll pay the entire amount on it over 2 years, and can get a new phone after 1 year for no extra fee. Kinda rad.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
After they showed off all the 3d Touch stuff with the new iPhone I wrote off buying any iPad until it has that too. Happened with the retina display, and happened with Touch ID.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Michael Scott posted:

Apple's plan IS a lease, I am guessing you do not own the device. I am interested to learn exactly who owns the device in Apple's case, if it's the bank or Apple or what.

I don't think it's a lease, you just have the option to pay off your loan after 12 months with the trade in of your device and start again. After 24 months you own the phone outright.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Drastic Actions posted:

They do, but the iPhone supports them all the bands for each carrier . They don't have multiple phone models for each carrier anymore.

Ok perfect, that's awesome news. I definitely remember back when they first came out they made that distinction, that'll make any future decisions a ton easier and makes my pre-order a no-brainer now :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Michael Scott posted:

Again, technical nitpick, but the carrier plans are not a lease, but instead a 0% APR purchase plan, and you own the phone, and you do eventually owe the entire amount on the device unless you take advantage of their switching options.

Apple's is more nebulous, but I am guessing you still own the device in that case. You'll pay the entire amount on it over 2 years, and can get a new phone after 1 year for no extra fee. Kinda rad.

Yeah it does sound better than the deal I was (mis)sold at least. Phones in the US work quite differently to over here too, although I need to work my head around that before I migrate.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

bronin posted:

They raised the price of the iPhone in Europe. 849€ for the 64GB 6s. Jesus loving Christ.

Yeah the 16GB 6s is now over $1000 in Canada with taxes which is up quite a bit from last year. I was thinking about a new 6s+ but I don't think I $1500 want it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

After they showed off all the 3d Touch stuff with the new iPhone I wrote off buying any iPad until it has that too. Happened with the retina display, and happened with Touch ID.

Wait... Seriously? They didn't put 3D touch in the new iPads?

How loving stupid. I guess you're right, it's pretty stupid to buy an iPad since we know what the new feature will be next year

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are no new iPads.

Except the big one.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

I did some quick math on the apple upgrade program, and it's looking to me like it might be a good deal compared to buying/reselling your phone.

Assuming you were to buy a 6s 64 GB now, add in Apple Care, and you're spending $880 ($750+$130). Net that against a $350 resale (iphone 6 64 GB price on gazelle right now) for a net cost of $530. Repeat when the iphone 7 comes out and you're looking at a total cost over 2 years of $1,060. Compare that to 24 monthly payments of $36.58 and you'd only spend $878 over 2 years. Your resale value would have to be about $440 in order for both options to be equal.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

iPad tends to get the iPhone features a generation behind. Plus it would take away some of the features of the pencil (although even with the 3d touch I expect the pencil works better).

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Aphrodite posted:

There are no new iPads.

Except the big one.

Tablet iterations seem even more minor than the phones, so they'll probably let this generation play out for at least a few more months. The nice thing is the air 2 is starting to see some nice sales, I picked up the 64 GB model for $75 off over the weekend.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Aphrodite posted:

There are no new iPads.

Except the big one.

They announced the iPad Mini 4…

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

flipoff posted:

I did some quick math on the apple upgrade program, and it's looking to me like it might be a good deal compared to buying/reselling your phone.

Assuming you were to buy a 6s 64 GB now, add in Apple Care, and you're spending $880 ($750+$130). Net that against a $350 resale (iphone 6 64 GB price on gazelle right now) for a net cost of $530. Repeat when the iphone 7 comes out and you're looking at a total cost over 2 years of $1,060. Compare that to 24 monthly payments of $36.58 and you'd only spend $878 over 2 years. Your resale value would have to be about $440 in order for both options to be equal.

Gazelle is a pawn shop, you're getting a lot less than market value. You could flip an iphone 6 64 GB for $450 dollars or more if you work a little, and you don't have to buy Apple Care. That doesn't mean it's not a good deal, however.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

There are no new iPads.

Except the big one.

The Mini 4!

Form factor of an iPad Air 2, with the guts of an iPad Air 2 all in the size of an iPad mini!

A very tempting upgrade for me, as an iPad mini user.

EDIT: Over the next few years they'll add Force 3dTouch to the iPads. I get the feeling the iPad upgrades are going to be staggered from now on.

The real question is whether that keyboard port will eventually be added to the regular iPad and iPad mini (with respectively properly sized covers) or whether they'll leave that feature only on the iPad Pro to differentiate it.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 10, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but that's just stepping up to the Air 2 after the shameless Mini 3. It's using existing parts.

Also someone said it's actually the non-X CPU or something.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Important to note: the Split View feature of iOS 9, where you can use two full apps side by side on an iPad, will work on the Mini 4. This probably means it has 2gb of ram like the iPad Air does.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Will Force Touch work if your screen has a built in protector? How about with the glass stick-ons?

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Will Force Touch work if your screen has a built in protector? How about with the glass stick-ons?

That sounds like a you problem.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

flipoff posted:

I'm not sure this is the right comparison, as you're still on the hook for a year of iPhone payments to pay off the second iPhone. Also, as was mentioned, gazelle is pretty low for trade value.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
What happens after the end of the 24th month, with your 2nd iphone? Do you owe any more money?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Michael Scott posted:

What happens after the end of the 24th month, with your 2nd iphone? Do you owe any more money?

Depends where you're counting from. If you get a phone now, trade it in at 12 months, and get a new one, you're on the hook for 24 months of payments to pay it off, so 36 months from the time you get your first phone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Apple trying to take a cut out of Aarons market

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Pretty sure Apple realized that people aren't upgrading iPads every year (or even every two) like they do phones, so why refresh the whole product line every year?

Edit: And haven't the Minis always used non-X SoCs?

fourwood fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 10, 2015

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Space Grey ain't good enough Apple, I want Black

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fourwood posted:

Pretty sure Apple realized that people aren't upgrading iPads every year (or even every two) like they do phones, so why refresh the whole product line every year?

Edit: And haven't the Minis always used non-X SoCs?
Because people don't all upgrade at the same time? This is a silly question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have a 5 so I'm excited to upgrade to the 6S now. This is also the first time I've had a real job with disposable income saved for things like this so I'll be able to get in on the preorder thing.

Only thing is, are unlocked full priced phones gonna be available for preorder? I am using one of the TMobile no contract plans.

• Locked thread