Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
oh god dammit fine

also link me to old games that I should read to prepare for Babby's First Mafia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Good morning, buddies!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yikes I can barely follow all this unbuddylike conversing!

So how are your respective days going, pals?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

artificially*

:ironicat:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

It's going great! My phone that I got two days ago was acting up so I took it to the sprint store and got it replaced for totally free. Best of all, they didn't need the charger or earbuds back so now I have two pairs of each! Which is especially good about the charger since it's a proprietary Samsung "fast charging" one. A very good day, bud. Yours?

Can't complain too much, chum! It's rainy outside finally - area's been in a semi-drought situation with this crazy hot summer - and I'm working from home today and tomorrow, so it's been a mostly relaxing day of watching the rain come down while yelling at people.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Done with work for the day and gonna just ignore the picture above this post because :smith:

How's everyone doing tonight?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

I'm doing well how are you? Are you new? I don't think I've seen you around here before.

I am new, in fact! MMM chatted me up in the Awful Survivor vista doc and invited me to try Mafia out. I've been lurking/spectating some of the active games, so I decided to give it a shot!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

yes welcome!

okay well since you're new AND a buddy I will let you know about the rolleyes gambit! It's a really old thing in mafia that someone noticed a long time ago but has held true way more often than not:
When a mafia player is called scum they don't react naturally because they know in their heart it's correct. So they have to fake it! And one of the tell-tale signs is a sarcastic : rolleyes :.

It usually goes like this:
"You are scum!"
"Yeah, right. :rolleyes:" <-- SO FAKE

that was essentially what rarity did! The rolleyes emote is just so over-the-top sarcastic that it pushes it into Faketown, U.S.A. (or in Rarity's case Insincereshire, U.K.).

Combined with Rarity inadvertently scumclaiming in her first post by (essentially) calling us all not her buddies, it makes me think she's not our buddy at all.

We should vote for her!

Thanks for the explanation, buddy! I do have one question, though... Isn't it also said that the first person who jumps on casing someone else could also be scum?! :kiddo: Just wondering!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The dark is generally unpleasant and impossible to understand anyone in, so I like not being in it!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alehkhs posted:

Didn't have any bear encounters this year, but the berry harvesting has been great!

Well it didn't take long for me to get outclassed as a cool new player. :negative:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EccoRaven posted:

we are! but some buddies are more equal than others.

This sounds like some dangerous language to use, Justice Scalia! All buddies are each other's buddies, and that's all that matters. Buddy.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Alehkhs posted:

Dude, you're a smug fox - pretty drat cool in my book. :colbert:

Tell us about yourself.

Hmm, what's there to say? I'm currently F5ing the imminent conclusion of the PbP Battlestar Galactica board game I've been running for almost a month now, so there's that. I'll probably start another one up immediately after!

Other than that I'm mostly an average lurker, other than being deaf* irl!

*Actually profoundly hard of hearing, but 'deaf' is quicker and easier to say and most people don't care about the difference

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hear yes (though some of it is feeling myself talk instead, if that makes sense). I wear hearing aids!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Opopanax posted:

WELCOME PODIMA IT IS NICE TO HAVE YOU HERE.

GOOD NIGHT, AND HAVE A PLEASANT TOMORROW

What's that, buddy? You'll have to speak up, I can't quite make out what you're saying!

#vote opopanax

Asiina posted:

My grandparents were completely deaf and their house was the loudest goddamn place because they'd watch TV and have the volume turned way up. Maybe to feel the vibrations of the sound, maybe just to troll us. Probably a little bit of both.

Probably the latter. Deaf people are kind of jerks! Except for me, of course.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Happy Friday! Are first day reads always this hard?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Section 31 posted:

Actually, I'm okay if EccoRaven doesn't do anything and instead...

##vote EccoRaven

This feels like a weird dogpile/bus post to me the way it's timed.

Also I guess we're done with joke phase, so ##unvote

Sorry I haven't been able to participate much besides fluff, work has been bad enough today that I'm lying down with a headache. I'll try to do some rereading tonight!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Ecco's statement assumed knowledge we don't have - but given that they flipped town, I see no reason why they would have implied BK was town while going out of the game if they didn't know for sure.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why are you voting for a dead confirmed town?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not liking Section 31's posting. Unusually aggressive with votes and awkwardly calling people out, making a completely useless list after "reading the thread" where he managed to do nothing but build a mini-case against a person who already died, and worst of all, posting a picture of an adorable bunny about to have something very bad happen to it.

##vote Section 31

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I get trying to create content, but I'm new as hell and even I know lists like that are horrible smokescreen content.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Opopanax posted:

Haha, I like this guy

What's that? I couldn't hear you, maybe you should speak up!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Opopanax posted:

SORRY NOT YOU, I MEANT SECTION 31

I MEAN YOU'RE ALRIGHT TOO I GUESS

oh. :smith:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's me being new but I don't really get how losing 1 town is worth kinda-confirming another town? Not disputing, just confused.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Section 31 posted:

If, the majority decided to vote me*. After I flip, I'll assume certain town-aligned role will know what to do at N1 after reading my post.

*hopefully it won't happen

This post confuses me. Why are you making assumptions about whatever town-aligned roles are in the game or not? What the heck are people supposed to get out of your list? Also I just realized you used 'good alignment' instead of 'town' which is weird.

Like I'm not trying to tunnel you here, but on d1 without a lot else to go on this is throwing up flags.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Again maybe this is my Mafia lack of expertise talking, but how likely is it for there to have been a n0 action? Anyone with a power role that investigates things (what would that be in this case, cop?) probably wouldn't have any information to actually go on yet, right?

I'm probably over-reading here but this is a learning experience!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
We have about six hours to deadline, by the way. I will be around but probably drunk at that point - I still think my vote on Section 31 is a good one based on what little we know from d1.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You should vote for Section 31 to make up for yelling at me.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I actually just read Awful Big Brother the other day. :drat:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's -1.

Also I'm so sorry for you being in Boise. Or Idaho in general*.

you da ho :laugh:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh, I hosed that up.

Did Alehkhs post even once yesterday?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah it was Deep Sea guy.

Alehkhs, why didn't you vote yesterday?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Ok so this is another dumb newbie question. If there's a scum team with a night kill, do they choose who performs the kill typically?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Birdstrike posted:

cool concern post broseph :holy:

##vote Section 31

I had good reasons for voting Section 31. You didn't.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, I was wrong, and I suck. But still, I need to look back at the votes on Section 31 and figure out where the scum dogpile is because there was definitely one.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Amoeba102 posted:

Votecount for Day 1

Section 31 (7): Podima, Rarity, Rarity, Rarity, Rarity, Asiina, chaoslord, Birdstrike, MMM Whatchya Say, Hal Incandenza, Look Under The Rock
BottleKnight (1): Opopanax
Alehkhs (1): Section 31
MMM Whatchya Say (1): Rarity
Asiina (1): Birdstrike, BottleKnight, Birdstrike
Birdstrike (0): Section 31, Section 31

Not Voting (1): Alehkhs

With 12 alive, it's 7 votes to lynch. The current deadline is September 12th, 2015 at 11 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 0 minutes.

Quoting the votes on Section 31 for reference, going to do some reading. Also holy crap quoting a votefinder post just looks awful in the post window.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chaoslord posted:

##vote Section 31

That's what I feel best about. Will try to be back before deadline but no promises

Zero content vote #3, basically promising to lurk for the rest of the day.

Birdstrike posted:

cool concern post broseph :holy:

##vote Section 31

A bad post after chaoslord's post. Worrying.

Hal Incandenza posted:

##vote Section 31 make better lists next time

Hal. Come on. Your vote wasn't that great either.

Look Under The Rock posted:

##vote section 31

Comment-less hammer with ample time to go before deadline. What the hell?

All of these votes are garbage. How many scum would you expect in a game this size?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh shot I haven't voted ##vote 31

For completeness. Yeah not a great vote, but I'm more concerned about the others.

At this point I want to see justification from chaoslord and LUtR. I'll go back and reread MMM's post from d1 in a bit to see what I think of it.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mafia Edit: Thanks for quoting MMM's post, Alehkhs! I don't have much of a problem with MMM's read - it aligns with my d1 read, even if we were both dead wrong. I have no goddamn idea why Section 31 wasted time with a cryptic breadcrumb instead of claiming at -1, since that would have given us a little more useful information.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Work has absolutely murdered me, but I just did a reread and here's where I stand:

Rarity posted:

I don't see there being a normal Cop in this game because the entire theme is Buddies and so far every flip has enforced that PRs are Buddy based and my own cop power involved my buddy so why doesn't chaoslord's?

This is incorrect, so either Rarity is looking at a VT role PM and forgot about Ecco's flip (Vig/Buddyguard) or she's playing a deeper game and trying to conceal actual PRs.

However:

chaoslord posted:

This is the point that I'm hung up on.

Rarity is claiming that as the Buddy Cop, they sent results to Asiina, a VT.

Opop is claiming that as VT, they sent results to Section 31, a Buddy Cop.

Those can't exist together, surely, which is why Opop is voting Rarity. I keep going back and forth on who I think is lying about it though.

Here's my problem. Rarity claimed VT/Buddy Cop, and Opop claimed the same soon after. This is setup spec here, I am incredibly skeptical that the setup would involve giving two different people the same buddy power (especially cop). I think Opop is trying to pull off a fakeclaim.

Also, check out this exchange:

Opopanax posted:

I buy it, actually, because I was a buddy cop too. I picked Sec 31 because I thought this was his first game and I was being inclusive, so I'm null now.

Birdstrike posted:

jfc how many buddy cops can there be?

Opopanax posted:

Some of us were probably insane or whatever.

Check out timestamps - this was an incredibly close-together exchange, possibly coordinated to fabricate a justification for two different Buddy Cop roles. Also, Birdstrike has a vote on Opop, but I'm pretty sure they're both scum and Birdstrike will swap his vote the second Opop starts getting more pressure. So therefore:

##vote opopanax

I will be around for the next two hours or so, but then won't be back except for quick checks before deadline. I think I've got a good case here, but above all will avoid a no-lynch so town can get some more information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

This is incorrect, so either Rarity is looking at a VT role PM and forgot about Ecco's flip (Vig/Buddyguard) or she's playing a deeper game and trying to conceal actual PRs.

Mafia Edit: either Rarity is looking at VT/Buddycop role PM...

• Locked thread