Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey all you new players you should also sign up for my minigame that's opening in a day!

also amoeba sign me up for buddytime I need to learn how to chill out more.

also amoeba join my game once it goes up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I have no buddies I am here to acquire a "bud" or even maybe an "hombre" or "bro."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

Ecco, make your next game The Bros of Bondi Bay

It is already titled A Charnel in Charnaz!! I gave up on the real world decades ago.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Birdstrike posted:

Hey buddies how y'all doing?

I'm doing okay I stayed up until ~4am finishing a book, and then I had a weird dream involving a music festival hosted by Stephen Colbert.

How about YOU birdstrike

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Would you consider yourself air buddies or space buddies

in a mafia game a million years ago I was on a team called the Air Team and we called ourselves "air buds."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
wow rude.

I have decided this game I will be Mellow. Mellow ecco. Mecclow. Mellcco? Mecco.

Anyway yes rarity don't be rude we're all buddies here.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
rarity remember that time I figured you were scum just from your confirmation post?

*looks at u suspiciously*

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

Yep. I also remember winning that game :D

is this a scumclaim?

rarity my buddy this is not a good way to go about the game you should reconsider!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
*big sibling voice* she started it!!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

##vote rarity

ROLLEYES GAMBIT

A CLASSIC.

RARITY YOU ARE NO BUDDY OF MINE

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
THE *patpat* GAMBIT.

A CLASSIC!!

guys I think rarity is not our buddies, exhibit a: she claimed it in the first post, point 2: she did rolleyes and patpat, universal scumtells if ever there was one.

I suggest we all hang out and chat about life and love and hopes and fears, but keep that in mind once a deadline hits.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
rarity/opop buddies-scum? me buddy-town. who else buddy-town? lmk in the comments~ ;)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
what was the dream!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Podima posted:

How's everyone doing tonight?
I'm doing well how are you? Are you new? I don't think I've seen you around here before.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Podima posted:

I am new, in fact! MMM chatted me up in the Awful Survivor vista doc and invited me to try Mafia out. I've been lurking/spectating some of the active games, so I decided to give it a shot!

yes welcome!

okay well since you're new AND a buddy I will let you know about the rolleyes gambit! It's a really old thing in mafia that someone noticed a long time ago but has held true way more often than not:
When a mafia player is called scum they don't react naturally because they know in their heart it's correct. So they have to fake it! And one of the tell-tale signs is a sarcastic : rolleyes :.

It usually goes like this:
"You are scum!"
"Yeah, right. :rolleyes:" <-- SO FAKE

that was essentially what rarity did! The rolleyes emote is just so over-the-top sarcastic that it pushes it into Faketown, U.S.A. (or in Rarity's case Insincereshire, U.K.).

Combined with Rarity inadvertently scumclaiming in her first post by (essentially) calling us all not her buddies, it makes me think she's not our buddy at all.

We should vote for her!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Podima posted:

Thanks for the explanation, buddy! I do have one question, though... Isn't it also said that the first person who jumps on casing someone else could also be scum?! :kiddo: Just wondering!

I mean lots of things are said, but if someone is saying that particular thing, then I think they're mistaken! Scum generally play reactively, that is, they don't want to rock the boat or draw attention to themselves, since attention is what gets them caught. For instance, "all scum" games (where everyone is secretly a mafia or something) tend to stagnate because nobody makes cases.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Agreed, it's too textbook!

I think Ecco is jumping on an easy case.

I think that's a bad way to look at it. I think you would rather play with Rarity than not, and you're willing to overlook little scumtells as a result. I think you should consider it objectively and realize it's probably more likely to be correct than incorrect, especially for a "first hours of day 1" case.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Look Under The Rock posted:

Also ecks please stop Mafia dadding.

This is a very rude statement LUTR, I'm simply helping a buddy with their questions and providing them with context they don't have. Would you rather Podima remain in the dark?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Birdstrike posted:

I would rather chill with everyone and talk about dreams and stuff.

So in return for town not voting anyone, mafia should not nightmurder anyone, and it will be Colbert and dune romance all the way :v:

I do not disagree but if the scum includes Rarity then it is hopeless as she is without honor!

Alehkhs posted:

Figured I'd try some new things, meet new people. I think it's a good idea to try and talk with a new person every day.

hello buddy alehkhs! tell us a little about yourself. where are you from? what is your passion?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Ecco I am not buying your case don't be dismissive of my opinions it is very unbuddylike.

And I think you're being overly critical of a case made in the first hours of day 1. It's one thing to say you don't agree with it, it's another to question my motives for it.

I think a buddy would be more supportive of another buddy trying to find badbuddies!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Alehkhs posted:

The ocean is my passion, which I try to spread via the Deep-Sea Megathread (when I actually update it :blush:).
:3: I read a massive Cousteau book growing up that gave me proper fear and awe of the Mighty Sea. That's super cool!

BottleKnight posted:

yeah except her rolleyes was intentional. In a funny way. Or at least that's how I saw it

I didn't read it that way! Combined with her first post + her OMGUS, I don't think she's on the up-and-up BK! But reasonable minds can disagree, I don't mean to imply that you're a bad person for taking a different stance. I just want us all to have a good time.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
alekhs you are my new favorite newer player. sorry BK you are officially Old News.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

After a quick read, people I would vote: Ecco

rude! lots of people this game don't want to be my buddy and that makes me feel bad.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

rude, not because I'm not your favorite but because you used your including him to exclude me! Why can't we all just be buddies of equal stature?

we are! but some buddies are more equal than others.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Look Under The Rock posted:

Why and why? I'm with you on ecco

how does giving someone context to what "rolleyes gambit" means scummy? people saying they think I'm a bad buddy but not saying why is really not buddy-like

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Anyone else heading out to get Mario Maker today?

I haven't owned a video game anything in like fifty years but the mario maker looks like such fun that I seriously stopped and considered it.

Podima posted:

Happy Friday! Are first day reads always this hard?

yep!

chaoslord posted:

Nah, I can Alt+Tab with the best of them

at my old office everyone had macs and I know they're probably the same but it was dumb. also my boss worked outside the office so I'd rarely see her but whenever I did she always SNUCK UP on me and of course I'd have something stupid open and I'd be left stumbling over my words and then she'd do this smirk thing that says "I don't care but this is funny to me also try harder next time." it was embarrassing.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

chaoslord posted:

I miss the days of facing the flow of traffic.

my dream job is to have my own office with a window looking over a park and the desk is facing the door and my name is on it. and I have an intern to get me coffee and do my busywork while I play mafia.

I've had bits of those at every job but never all at once. *wistful sigh*

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Also I think ecco is scum! Gut read. ##vote ecco
this is a bad gut read I hope you appreciate this comment of mine.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

actually ecco that comment really seems like Old News.

was that supposed to hurt? it didn't. it bounced off me like rain bounces off you because you're untouchable.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
so BK I am left with a dilemma. What should I do?

Should I:
- Do a thing that will either confirm me as town or condemn me as scum, or
- Do a different thing that will confirm someone else as town but severely limit my ability to play the game

which is the better option for me to do BK?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I have decided that I am not a very good buddy. I am too rude to be anyone's friend for more than a few minutes. I blame myself. As such, I hereby end my own (in-game) life. Farewell, buddies, and remember this famous poem:

As night falls without a moon
One might get lost in the murk and gloom
Finding truth from deceit
While wicked liars steal and cheat.
And yet there is a flash of light
A blast of wisdom in that dark night,
Someone appears with clarity:
A vicious monster called "Rarity."
Yet my words fall on deaf ears
As the mob surrounds me with hateful jeers.
With my breath I shout my final cries:
"don't believe her web of lies"

##kill bottleknight

see you all in another game~

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

chaoslord posted:

I guess I don't understand the logic behind that move. "BEWARE Rarity, but I'm gonna shoot BK, bye"

mb u should stop posting + find out!!

shhhh

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

go town!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Podima posted:

I honestly don't get why Ecco shot BK to take themselves out of the game, that seemed like a really wasteful action?
I assumed that even if buddy-roles were RNG'd that Amoeba would have stepped in and not made scum the protected target of a buddy-protection, since it'd have made the game really unbalanced.

Welp.

And also:

• Locked thread