Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cuntman.net

i watched the lord of the rings return of the king extended edition yesterday i liked it but the extra scenes werent that good imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Editor was on the ball on that one

Matey

eat food

i watched skeleton twins the other night and im not afraid to admit that yeah, it made me cry!

ulvir

i love in bruges

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
whenever I put a movie into the vcr, all the actors don't play their roles, they just keep talking to me about the weather, how my day was, have I seen any good movies lately (this question is immediately followed by ten minutes of maniacal laughter)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Wertjoe

I watched John Wick and it was a fun action movie. Keanu is good in it because there isn't much dialogue.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Wertjoe posted:

I watched John Wick and it was a fun action movie. Keanu is good in it because there isn't much dialogue.

that doesn't sound like a very chatty movie imo

----------------

Ace of Baes
watched Daybreakers (2009) last night, it was objectively a pretty mediocre movie, i liked it though, minus the third act
premise is vampires take over the world and hunt down humans for blood

----------------

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Qwerinty posted:

whenever I put a movie into the vcr, all the actors don't play their roles, they just keep talking to me about the weather, how my day was, have I seen any good movies lately (this question is immediately followed by ten minutes of maniacal laughter)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
movies rot the brain and are garbage toys for retarded children. refined adults read books

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

Matey posted:

i watched skeleton twins the other night and im not afraid to admit that yeah, it made me cry!

I enjoyed the hell out of that movie

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

ulvir

Wertjoe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krCkL24ae1k

ron color
thats a really good movie

landy.

Qwerinty posted:

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I watched Equilibrium the other day and since Sean Bean was one of the top billed actors I thought the plot was going to be like Goldeneye where he betrays the good guy to become the bad guy and then dies at the end but then he just dies in the third scene unceremoniously. Kinda ruined the movie for me as everything else was super lame and dated as gently caress.

ulvir

ron color posted:

thats a really good movie

unironically keanu reeve's best role to date

Matey

eat food

Splatmaster posted:

I enjoyed the hell out of that movie

me too

weird

by zen death robot

Qwerinty posted:

----------------

precision

by VideoGames
i finally saw MAD MAX FURY ROAD and it was :perfect: it was not even remotely :mediocre:

for once, every goon ever was actually right about a movie

----------------

beer pal

anyone seen ex machina, i saw that the other day and thought it was really good

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
I started switching to dvd last year, and the first time I see a movie it's normal, but in every subsequent viewing the actors become aware they've done this before and that they're in a loop. there's one movie i've seen 20 times, and they don't even talk to each other anymore, they just wail and scream the entire time. i charge people five bucks to see it

----------------

alnilam

Qwerinty posted:

I started switching to dvd last year, and the first time I see a movie it's normal, but in every subsequent viewing the actors become aware they've done this before and that they're in a loop. there's one movie i've seen 20 times, and they don't even talk to each other anymore, they just wail and scream the entire time. i charge people five bucks to see it

alnilam

Straight outta Compton was a passable bio-pic, not fantastic as a movie and had some corny "filmmaking 101" kinda aspects, plus obviously the fact that it's heavily pro-Dre&pals biased, but i still enjoyed watching it and obv the music was good... I also felt like it almost felt like an apology/tribute/making peace to Eazy E, from Dre, who had hated on him for so long after NWA broke up.

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I thought CB-4 was a better biopic

precision

by VideoGames

alnilam posted:

Straight outta Compton was a passable bio-pic, not fantastic as a movie and had some corny "filmmaking 101" kinda aspects, plus obviously the fact that it's heavily pro-Dre&pals biased, but i still enjoyed watching it and obv the music was good... I also felt like it almost felt like an apology/tribute/making peace to Eazy E, from Dre, who had hated on him for so long after NWA broke up.

the fact that there's a scene where Shuge Knight literally rubs his hands together while menacingly staring at Eazy for like 5 straight minutes was loving hilarious, they should have just put a Darth Vader mask on him

also i wonder if the Priority Records guy really was that much of a schlub irl

also the movie was a sloppy blowjob on Dre and Cube and the Snoop cameo was kinda retard

e: like the movie almost comes straight out and says "YO SUGE NIGHT KILLED EAZY E FOR REAL", which is certainly possible but drat be a little subtle

----------------

alnilam

Yeah i mean there's also the scene that intros dre and his mom is like "you'll never make it as a dj!" and in the next scene he's making it as a dj

like i said it's not a good movie but i enjoyed it with a grain of salt or whatever

precision

by VideoGames
sadly enough it's better than the public enemy movie "WELCOME TO THE TERRORDOME" which is just incredibly boring, but it's also not really a history of PE, it's just a bunch of people saying "man PE is so good"

now where's my 2 Live Crew/Geto Boys movie

----------------

Matey

eat food

precision posted:

now where's my 2 Live Crew movie

wanna see the unrated cut

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
I've got a huge collection of various different video formats. they talk to each other constantly (turns out there's not much else to do when you're inanimate), and I had to have a special sound controlled room built for them. they've developed a class based society, with blu-ray on top, vhs retained in an advisory/servitude role as the senior format. i went to retrieve my laser disc copy of blade runner, and a huge swath of the dvd shelf was decimated with reflective graffiti reading "OBSOLETE IS NOT TRASH"

----------------

Commie NedFlanders

Ace of Baes posted:

watched Daybreakers (2009) last night, it was objectively a pretty mediocre movie, i liked it though, minus the third act
premise is vampires take over the world and hunt down humans for blood

Lol LF did a contest for people to analyze this movie using excessively academic language and Marxist critiques

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

alnilam

somehow despite being from 1967 i still think 2001 has the most convincing and graceful space scenes of any movie ever

Interstellar came close and i didn't see gravity but I heard it was good space too

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

somehow despite being from 1967 i still think 2001 has the most convincing and graceful space scenes of any movie ever

Interstellar came close and i didn't see gravity but I heard it was good space too

1967. It's just incredible that the movie, despite being from that era of film, will always be timeless. I can very easily see someone in the not too distant future watching it for the first time and saying "hey, mom- that was recorded 2d on location in space, right?"

Gravity is very much worth watching, from the other side of the special effects coin.

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

Yeah 2001 was definitely a triumph. Ridley Scott said, shortly after prometheus came out at a film festival, that sci fi is dead because of it:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/07/ridley-scott-science-fiction-is-dead.html

Interstellar was fun though. apparently the black hole tesseract poo poo at the end? that was an actual set:

Also, the surprise Matt Damon was interesting, as I saw it and had absolutely no idea matt damon was in it. The weirdness of this sudden A-lister showing up and the trustworthiness of Matt Damon's face definitely added to the overall effect. I think the biggest failing though is how shallowly characterized the characters are, they're pretty one dimensional (lol) and uninteresting. I think the cool robots were actually more spirited and interesting than the people, which is strange.

Damp Star Baby

Staying Legend. CA Exempt DEATH
This movie comes out in two days. I can't wait! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kXpUaQpXMA

The trailer does a fantastic job at evoking a number of different themes which may or may not play out in the full length feature, really keeps you guessing.

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

I think the biggest failing though is how shallowly characterized the characters are, they're pretty one dimensional (lol) and uninteresting. I think the cool robots were actually more spirited and interesting than the people, which is strange.

And yet exactly this is one of the neatest aspects of 2001. HAL is absolutely the only character with any, uh, humanity. All of the living humans are flat, cold, and professional. HAL shows curiosity, embarrassment, interest in the well being of his crew (for a time at least), and fear of death.

Damp Star Baby

alnilam posted:

And yet exactly this is one of the neatest aspects of 2001. HAL is absolutely the only character with any, uh, humanity. All of the living humans are flat, cold, and professional. HAL shows curiosity, embarrassment, interest in the well being of his crew (for a time at least), and fear of death.

I never noticed this subtext whenever I watched the film. I was always so focused at examining the film in terms of technological and philosophical progressions, and the meaning of discovery to really examine the interactions between the characters on the ship. Weird!

I must create a system or be enslaved by another mans; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create. - William Blake

alnilam

In a lot of ways i feel like interstellar mirrors 2001. Humans explore a mysterious possibly alien thing in the company of cool robots with personality, are betrayed which sends the mission awry, one human gets pulled into a crazy interdimensional place and sees mind blowing time bending poo poo...

Damp Star Baby

yeah it's basically 2001 but with a much more grounded and definite denouement that ties up most loose ends.

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

alnilam posted:

In a lot of ways i feel like interstellar mirrors 2001. Humans explore a mysterious possibly alien thing in the company of cool robots with personality, are betrayed which sends the mission awry, one human gets pulled into a crazy interdimensional place and sees mind blowing time bending poo poo...

There's another movie from around the same timeframe called Silent Running that has an interesting plot and some robots that you'll have far more respect and affection for than all of the humans, save one. I strongly recommend it to any space buffs/sci fi fans here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damp Star Baby

Splatmaster posted:

There's another movie from around the same timeframe called Silent Running that has an interesting plot and some robots that you'll have far more respect and affection for than all of the humans, save one. I strongly recommend it to any space buffs/sci fi fans here.

this movie also served as a major inspiration for Mystery Science Theatre

• Locked thread