Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what's the best western?
the good the bad and the ugly
the magnificent seven
the proposition
back to the future 3
best western (hotel)
western digital
kanye west
west nile virus
View Results

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I only saw back to the future 3 and didn't see best western (lol) until after the poll loaded with my vote already cast :(

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
All non-anime films are "western" when you really think about it OP

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't like, and therefore have not seen many, westerns. When I told a co-worker this some years ago, he insisted I watch Unforgiven, so I did, and I did not care for it. Last weekend I told a friend this, and he insisted I watch True Grit (the remake) with him, so I did, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

After considerable introspection, I think the reason I say I don't like westerns in general is because I hate when characters don't have clear interesting motivations. If the protagonist is a cipher who just moseys into town for some reason, decides to kill some one-or-less-dimensional bad guys who are terrorizin' the local folk, and then rambles on out just because, I find that to be an extremely uninteresting character and story. I think the stereotypical western character is not a character at all but some sort of symbol of ruggedness and inscrutibility or whatever, which does not appeal to me. All of the characters in True Grit had excellent motivations and acted in accordance with them, and conflicted in interesting ways.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lil Cunty

ty crap

ty landy

alnilam

Ralp posted:

I don't like, and therefore have not seen many, westerns. When I told a co-worker this some years ago, he insisted I watch Unforgiven, so I did, and I did not care for it. Last weekend I told a friend this, and he insisted I watch True Grit (the remake) with him, so I did, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

After considerable introspection, I think the reason I say I don't like westerns in general is because I hate when characters don't have clear interesting motivations. If the protagonist is a cipher who just moseys into town for some reason, decides to kill some one-or-less-dimensional bad guys who are terrorizin' the local folk, and then rambles on out just because, I find that to be an extremely uninteresting character and story. I think the stereotypical western character is not a character at all but some sort of symbol of ruggedness and inscrutibility or whatever, which does not appeal to me. All of the characters in True Grit had excellent motivations and acted in accordance with them, and conflicted in interesting ways.

This is a valid criticism of westerns and tbh a lot of the value of westerns is in their aesthetic presentation, they are just cool as gently caress and a pleasure to watch, to me. Some westerns do better than others at having depth.

also why tf isn't Once Upon A Time In The West in the poll :bahgawd:

ty manifisto

FreshCutFries

Ralp posted:

I think the stereotypical western character is not a character at all but some sort of symbol of ruggedness and inscrutibility or whatever, which does not appeal to me. All of the characters in True Grit had excellent motivations and acted in accordance with them, and conflicted in interesting ways.

have you watched any of Leone's movies? the man with no name is meant as a satire of this exact observation.

Lil Cunty

Ralp posted:

I think the stereotypical western character is not a character at all but some sort of symbol of ruggedness and inscrutibility or whatever, which does not appeal to me.

a symbol of goodness for the sake of doing good, righting wrongs in the name of upholding justice, a clear sense of right and wrong in an often ambiguous world

alnilam posted:

This is a valid criticism of westerns and tbh a lot of the value of westerns is in their aesthetic presentation

this is true. I appreciate the same elements in westerns that I do in opera or some ballet

ty crap

ty landy

DeepQantas

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...

Qwerinty posted:

west is a false concept, because everything is west from everything else, it's just a matter of distance
Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

boom x2

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

DeepQantas posted:

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians

boom x2

i haven't seen this so i have no clue what you are referring to

----------------

Ralp

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

alnilam posted:

This is a valid criticism of westerns and tbh a lot of the value of westerns is in their aesthetic presentation, they are just cool as gently caress and a pleasure to watch, to me. Some westerns do better than others at having depth.

After and while viewing it, my friend raved about the cinematography (he had not seen it before, but had seen the original) in True Grit, which yeah once he pointed out was nice enough but otherwise not something I noticed at all. I was most impressed by the very smart, sharp, strong dialog writing and delivery, especially from Hailee Steinfeld and Jeff Bridges. I suppose the things I most appreciate in films are not the things that make westerns good?

Thingyman posted:

have you watched any of Leone's movies? the man with no name is meant as a satire of this exact observation.

no but lol now I want to

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
kevin costern's open range

----------------

DeepQantas

Qwerinty posted:

i haven't seen this so i have no clue what you are referring to
North pole and Mars aren't west of anything :>

tao of lmao

It's actually Firefly, OP

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
A lot of spagetti westerns were filmed in the south of spain, specifically Almeria. I wonder if this is why my dad loves watching all sorts of westerns

precision

by VideoGames
Old Yeller

----------------

precision

by VideoGames
that one album pj harvey did with angelo badalamenti

----------------

alnilam

the alvbum "the bees made honey in the lion's mouth" by Earth

ty manifisto

alnilam

stephen king's the gumslinger

ty manifisto

alnilam

ty manifisto

DeepQantas

Seven Samurai

Lil Cunty

6 string samurai

ty crap

ty landy

tao of lmao

Omega Cop

ulvir

kevin costner is rubbish

DeepQantas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepBeEpEQcM

precision

by VideoGames

Lil Cunty posted:

6 string samurai

Lil Cunty posted:

6 string samurai

Lil Cunty posted:

6 string samurai

----------------

precision

by VideoGames
Straight To Hell also

----------------

Senior Management

while not intended to be related, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is clearly a prequel in the Dollars Trilogy. Not only are the dates in the movie earlier than those in Fist Full of Dollars and A Few Dollars More but we can see our Man With No Name acquiring his trademark costume piece by piece throughout the film.

:jerry:

Darkman Fanpage
yojimbo

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

ulvir

BeanBandit

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Ayatollah Hermione posted:

"This town ain't big enough fer the both of us!"

"Ahha yeah maybe u should lose some weight lol" *tries to high five a mule and gets kicked to death*

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Lil Cunty posted:

6 string samurai

I've wanted to see this for years and keep forgetting to

----------------

SirPhoebos

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

No Blazing Saddles 0/10.

----------------

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN
I hope tarantino's upcoming western will be good

Afro Doug

high plains drifter is good when you consider that the main character is an evil ghost what wants to be a cocksucker to basically everyone.

Lil Cunty

Qwerinty posted:

I've wanted to see this for years and keep forgetting to

(in all seriousness you should bc its good as hell and also the red elvises)

ty crap

ty landy

alnilam

I merch tabled for the red elvises once when i was like 16

City of Glompton

Lust in the Dust

or Blazing Saddles, yeah

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

precision

by VideoGames
6 string samurai is basically mad max: troma edition

in all the best ways of both

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Cunty

alnilam posted:

I merch tabled for the red elvises once when i was like 16

I'm dead. I read this and I literally died of envy and I'm dead now and I'm a spooky ghost

ty crap

ty landy

• Locked thread