Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Best reference line was "This is Linux. I know this..."

Agree on zombie strippers. The genre has been too long without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Erghh posted:

Best reference line was "This is Unix. I know this..."

Agree on zombie strippers. The genre has been too long without.

Fixed that for you. Non-nerd. Get out.

God I love this show. It's just serious enough to make everything flow, even with all the references and awful, awful(in a good way) comedy scenes(That loving cheese wheel slayed my entire apartment. We all knew it was coming after the bell, but it was still so :perfect:.)

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

God I love this show. It's just serious enough to make everything flow, even with all the references and awful, awful(in a good way) comedy scenes(That loving cheese wheel slayed my entire apartment. We all knew it was coming after the bell, but it was still so :perfect:.)

Cheesy Alien episode was my favorite. Just, :lol:

And, I may be the only one, but I like that Bernie Mac's wife(Kellita Smith) is still getting work :) Plus, I loved the chemistry with Reina she had

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Cynic Jester posted:

+:mad: whatever im too busy talkingh to girls

But yeah, think part of this show's magic is the timing. It's not just what they do but when that keeps it rolling.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Erghh posted:

+:mad: whatever im too busy talkingh to girls

But yeah, think part of this show's magic is the timing. It's not just what they do but when that keeps it rolling.

This show is like some sharks. If it stops moving, it dies.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Astroman posted:

If I were a shipping man, I'd want 10k and Addy to get together. :unsmith:

Just so long as 10k still has the condoms Addy gave him. Poor guy seemed so shy getting those handed to him.

My biggest problem is how do you top killing zombies with an unstoppable cheese wheel and Liberty Bell combo? Season 3 is screwed.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
The chinese could deploy zombie-panda's and stuff.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

PowerBeard posted:

Just so long as 10k still has the condoms Addy gave him. Poor guy seemed so shy getting those handed to him.

My biggest problem is how do you top killing zombies with an unstoppable cheese wheel and Liberty Bell combo? Season 3 is screwed.

Eh, the US is full of ridiculous road side attractions they could use.

Imagine a horde of weaponized zombie pandas getting taken out by a large Paul Bunyan statue or a five ton ball of rubber bands.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Next season it's all poisonous lead zombies

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
There's always the Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Or the worlds largest teapot in West Virgina!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

The woodchipper from Fargo is in Fargo!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

They visit Nakatomi Plaza passing through LA and fight zombie Die Hard terrorists.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

etalian posted:

Best Murphy costume in the season was the pimp costume

It's bullshit we didn't get to see the rest of the closet, possibly with Murphy fashion montage :argh:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The second season will be released this month on Netflix.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

etalian posted:

The second season will be released this month on Netflix.

In case anyone hasn't noticed it yet, it appeared on Netflix a couple days ago. So here's a thread bump to draw your attention to that fact.

KatWithHands
Nov 14, 2007

Antifreeze Head posted:

In case anyone hasn't noticed it yet, it appeared on Netflix a couple days ago. So here's a thread bump to draw your attention to that fact.

Just restarting the season now, and realized one of the voices Addy hears on the radio in the first episode is speaking Mandarin. That was some foreshadowing I missed entirely.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

KatWithHands posted:

Just restarting the season now, and realized one of the voices Addy hears on the radio in the first episode is speaking Mandarin. That was some foreshadowing I missed entirely.

Didn't he also trace the "hack" to Hawaii or something?

Any chance next season will take place there? That'd be dope.

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

After telling people to watch Z-Nation and advising them to suffer though the first couple episodes for like a year, I decided to rewatch the series on Netflix myself to see how bad they really were. I recall being unimpressed myself with the series opener, but I just caught "An ex-cop and some others taking shelter in a prison about 20 miles from here" - I didn't catch that or most of the first season's tviv thread on the first go, and I'm sure it someone caught that already...

But this is a revelation for me. I now see Rick and his crew from being 20 miles in the wrong direction from having contacted a settlement with competent people instead of the Governor. And every episode now feels like a situation the WD crew have faced and failed terribly at, but pulled off with style and humor.. with no goddamn stealth zombie deaths.

I can't help but imagine some Asylum writer watching the first season of WD and going "gently caress these guys! WE could do a better zombie show than this!" and making it his personal mission to make it happen. Thank you, angry nerd writer, I salute you. :patriot:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not for nothing but the Z-Nation's crew probably lost the same percentage of people over the years and I'm not sure Rick and crew would be better off if they'd be dealing with Zombie Jesus, nukes, and a zombie cartel.

I mean, zombie apocalypse sucks any way you slice it.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
You know, I don't think the shows need to be compared.

Obviously, they have the same premise but they're really different shows that I can enjoy without having to compare the two. I'm not watching either because of how competent or incompetent the characters are because that is dumb.

I don't know why people on the internet think they'd be some samurai just because they've seen movies and read that gimmick book.

I'll admit that Z Nation is fun because they do a good job of taking down monsters, but that doesn't make TWD any worse either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Sick burn, man. Comic book guy, am I right?

What was I thinking, sharing opinions on a forum? On the internet!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I agree that despite both being about zombies and people they're apples and oranges, especially in tone. There's no reason they can't coexist and do different things.

Both are about survival though, and there's a very big disparity in the intelligence level their writers lend their respective humans. Last season in TWD, they talk about a loving corrugated metal wall with reinforcing braces on the wrong side like it's the height of post-apocalyptic engineering, requiring a brilliant architect to build it. In Z-nation even a pack of backwoods hicks manage to harness the endless power of the walking dead to power their trailer park. The former has to dumb down its people to make them prey to a slow-moving, mindless and ridiculously predictable threat. The latter keeps inventing scenarios to challenge people who are acting at the top of their game. Watching Z-nation just highlights how much better TWD could be if it had, well, smarter writing.

Jesus Louise
Jan 4, 2007

They're coming to get you, Barbara.
I like to think both shows take place in essentially the same apocalypse, but one group is WAY more fun and interesting to follow around.

After binge-watching on Netflix, I definitely enjoyed Season 2 even more than Season 1 and that's saying something. THIS is the zombie television series I have always wanted - not only because there's more action and humor, but the characters and relationships are compelling, too. 10K/Cassandra's changing relationship was great and ended with real feeling, and I'm loving the weird Warren/Murphy trauma-friendship that's been growing.

Jesus Louise fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 1, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Finally getting around to watching season 2 and episode 2 is intense and depressing. Talk about a sense of dread that was just building. Man this show is good.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I don't think it was a comparison so much as one guy noticing a jab at TWD written into Z Nation.

That said, if we do compare them, TWD sucks horribly (but I can't stop watching it).

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Did you see on TWD they drove a truck full of supplies into a lake after stopping to break into a vending machine.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Now is your time to shine, most goons don't even need makeup.

http://www.khq.com/story/31344849/z-nation-looking-for-zombies-how-you-can-audition

quote:

SPOKANE, Wash. -

Season 3 of the SyFy series Z-Nation will begin filming soon in the Spokane area and the show is in search of zombies!

Auditions for zombie work will be held on March 12, 2016, but there are some requirements you need to be aware of:

1.) Must audition on March 12, 2016

2.) Must be 18 or older

3.) Must be a Washington resident

4.) Must be registered with one of the two area talent agencies

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

r0ck0 posted:

Now is your time to shine, most goons don't even need makeup.

http://www.khq.com/story/31344849/z-nation-looking-for-zombies-how-you-can-audition

That would be awesome to do.

By the way we finished season 2 a couple nights ago and I'm very excited to see what happens. This show should not be as good as it is.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
poo poo I'm only a few hours from Spokane. I'd love to just watch them film.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

When is season 3 starting? TWD is finished in my eyes (I decided to treat the Season 6 finale as the series finale), and I decided to make this my One and Only Zombie Show.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

When is season 3 starting? TWD is finished in my eyes (I decided to treat the Season 6 finale as the series finale), and I decided to make this my One and Only Zombie Show.

They just started shooting season 3. We will not get it until fall.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

They just started shooting season 3. We will not get it until fall.

:negative:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Should have taken Jack's advice. I'm sorry. :(

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Couple of trailers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyxKW3iNFsw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK21lhqR8ew

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
Was that Garry Shandling in there? :monocle:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Remy Marathe posted:

I agree that despite both being about zombies and people they're apples and oranges, especially in tone. There's no reason they can't coexist and do different things.

Both are about survival though, and there's a very big disparity in the intelligence level their writers lend their respective humans. Last season in TWD, they talk about a loving corrugated metal wall with reinforcing braces on the wrong side like it's the height of post-apocalyptic engineering, requiring a brilliant architect to build it. In Z-nation even a pack of backwoods hicks manage to harness the endless power of the walking dead to power their trailer park. The former has to dumb down its people to make them prey to a slow-moving, mindless and ridiculously predictable threat. The latter keeps inventing scenarios to challenge people who are acting at the top of their game. Watching Z-nation just highlights how much better TWD could be if it had, well, smarter writing.

Z Nation also nails the fun factor so much better.

cjg
Sep 5, 2003

Erghh posted:

Was that Garry Shandling in there? :monocle:

And like a zombie katamari? This show's so cray-Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I...I don't see 10k anywhere except one scene where he looks like he's being eaten.
I am a tiny bit less looking forward to this.

Edit: unless they have him hiding for half the season in a small village surrounded by a wall of dumpsters. Because of course that's a possibility.

• Locked thread