Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Ghostwatch is extraordinary.

Ghostwatch/WNUF Halloween Special was a double feature for me last year and it was a good old time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I only wish I could get the documentary and have it before the next podcast recording. Has anyone seen it? Is it good?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hey, here's one of my favorite horror shorts ever:

The Harpy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYiS6lmc_H0

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

The Harpy

This had always creeped me out.

Was Argento's Jennifer based on this? There are a lot of similarities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jenifer is based on a story in an issue of Creepy, which was made before The Harpy. I'm sure they are both based on some folktale about a monstrous, sexually rapacious woman.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Took 8 pages before anyone mentioned Cronenberg. Too long.

Audition is one very hosed up (in a good way) movie. I didn't see it mentioned.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The Harpy

i loving love this one.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'd like some recommendations s'il vouz plait. I'm a big fan of the type of story where some detective (often a down on his luck one that's kinda scummy) lives and works in a world where just beneath the surface of our mundane world there's like monsters and stuff, whether werewolves and vampires, or angels and demons, or what. I just watched The Order and I think I've watched all the mainstream movies that sort of sit like that, such as Constantine, Dylan Dog, Angel Heart (sorta) etc etc. I know there've been a few tv shows with that sort of concept, like Angel, or Grimm, or Supernatural, but those really aren't quite there, usually being melodramatic and trying to hook the bored housewife with all sorts of continuing soap opera antics. I'm looking for actual movies in that vein instead. Most mainstream movie recommendation forums/sites seem to recommend things completely outside that format, just cause it might have similar stars, or if you're lucky, magic in it. So any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

There was a made for HBO movie in the 80's called Cast a Deadly Spell, which is cool. Lord of Illusions sounds like it would meet your criteria too.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yup, seen both and are totally what I'm talking about hehe.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Yeah, horror movies and detective movies are often mirror images of each other. In detective movies, there's often a conceit where something that looks potentially supernatural occurs, and the detective chips away to reveal a more prosaic truth and the rationality of the world is restored. But in horror movies sometimes the opposite occurs; a detective investigates something looking for a rational explanation and his (and our) sense of a rational world unravels as he discovers the incomprehensible. The detective is a great vehicle for both genres because the character is usually compelled to find the truth no matter how awful the path to it leads.

I'd also say in both types of movies, the detective learns something terrible about people - but in the latter it's usually something about himself rather than others.

I'm assuming you've seen Candyman and The Ninth Gate which feature scholars instead of detectives, but who function more or less in the same capacity.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 7, 2015

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I just watched As Above, So Below and it was insanely good. Do not sleep on this just because it was marketed like poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The Beyond (dir Lucio Fulci) is legitimately one of my favorite movies I think

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Choco1980 posted:

I'd like some recommendations s'il vouz plait. I'm a big fan of the type of story where some detective (often a down on his luck one that's kinda scummy) lives and works in a world where just beneath the surface of our mundane world there's like monsters and stuff, whether werewolves and vampires, or angels and demons, or what. I just watched The Order and I think I've watched all the mainstream movies that sort of sit like that, such as Constantine, Dylan Dog, Angel Heart (sorta) etc etc. I know there've been a few tv shows with that sort of concept, like Angel, or Grimm, or Supernatural, but those really aren't quite there, usually being melodramatic and trying to hook the bored housewife with all sorts of continuing soap opera antics. I'm looking for actual movies in that vein instead. Most mainstream movie recommendation forums/sites seem to recommend things completely outside that format, just cause it might have similar stars, or if you're lucky, magic in it. So any recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I think Deliver Us From Evil (2014) fits the bill but I also heard that movie's completely boring garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Lord of Illusions is exactly what you're looking for. Make sure you get the director's cut. I just rewatched it, one of the best horror movies of the '90s. Scott Bakula plays an occult detective hired to investigate an illusionist who may be using actual magic, gets drawn into stuff involving a spooky cult.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 7, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

I think Deliver Us From Evil (2014) fits the bill but I also heard that movie's completely boring garbage.

Deliver Us From Evil is rotten.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, I'm kinda a clive barker nerd, so I'm very familiar with Lord of illusions. Like I said, it feels like I've already seen all the movies that fit this bill.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, I'm kinda a clive barker nerd, so I'm very familiar with Lord of illusions. Like I said, it feels like I've already seen all the movies that fit this bill.

how bout Dead & Buried? not exactly the same, but a vaguely noir-ish story of a detective investigating some spooky goings on in a Lovecraft-ish seaside town. a Dan O'Bannon joint, good stuff.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I think I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that I've watched all the movies in that particular sub-genre.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

I think I'm just going to have to resign myself to the fact that I've watched all the movies in that particular sub-genre.

yeah you might have to console yourself with the first 200 or so issues of Hellblazer (assuming you haven't already)

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

how bout Dead & Buried? not exactly the same, but a vaguely noir-ish story of a detective investigating some spooky goings on in a Lovecraft-ish seaside town. a Dan O'Bannon joint, good stuff.

Dead & Buried is great,and should be watched regardless. I have it on Blu Ray and it looks amazing.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

weekly font posted:

I just watched As Above, So Below and it was insanely good. Do not sleep on this just because it was marketed like poo poo.

I find it's generally well received here. It's more like a Tomb Raider adventure than horror with an actually competent lead, so I think that's why a lot of critics judged it harshly, but it's a lot of fun.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah you might have to console yourself with the first 200 or so issues of Hellblazer (assuming you haven't already)

I've read like, half of them, back when I lived by a library with a clear fan in the acquisition department who kept ordering more GNs of the series.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Oh gently caress Ghostwatch is much spookier than I was expecting. Had to turn a light on cuz I am a pussy I guess.

Anyway, here's what I've seen so far, all of these have been for the first time, except for Suspiria but it was so long ago it's basically new.

Theater of Blood: Lots of fun Vincent Price action, pretty tailored to be as Price-y a role as possible. Vincent plays a thespian who kills his critics in Shakespearean ways.

Suspiria: So much more awesome than I remembered. Glad I gave it another chance. It's like if somebody made a slasher film in a Walt Disney studio.

Nightmare on Elm Street: I was surprised at the frequency of the surreal elements. There's really a neat effect every few minutes and it's paced alright. Just about every 80's slasher cliche with the teens and the cops though, but that's part of the charm. Maybe it started all of them, but I would doubt it.

I'm really not too well versed in horror, but this year I'm really getting into it. Here's the rest of my to-watch list so far (Some thanks to this thread):

Alien (1979)
Kill List (2011)
Prince of Darkness (1987)
Repulsion (1965)
The Beyond (1981)
Videodrome (1983)
Ghostwatch (1992)
WNUF Halloween Special (1987)
The Shining (1980)
Horrors of Malformed Men (1969)

It may grow, it may shrink, as spooky things are wont to do. It's kind of all over the place, so I'm trying to get a little taste of everything so I don't get burned out. If anything seems like it would match these, I'd be happy to hear.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 8, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
If you liked Suspiria, and liked the surrealism of NoES, you'll loving love The Beyond and Videodrome.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I just watched Rosemary's Baby for the first time and loved it, even if the overall plot was kind of predictable (due to it having permeated pop culture since, I imagine). The film was more about Rosemary herself than the plot, and the ways she reacted to her situation. The dream sequences were spooky and awesome and sort of Lynchian, as was the devil worship parlor party at the end. Overall superb control of pace and tone from Polanski who remains a master filmmaker despite being an irl scumbag. Hail Satan!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

If you liked Suspiria, and liked the surrealism of NoES, you'll loving love The Beyond and Videodrome.

I'd also add that if you like Videodrome (one of my top-five movies of all time) you'll probably like Cronenberg's Existenz as well.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I just rewatched As Above, So Below. The first time I watched it it made complete sense to me why she had to get rid of the stone to be able to heal, but this time, for whatever reason, I couldn't remember what conclusion I came to about that or how I got there.

Can anybody fill me in on what was going on there?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
From what I recall

(As Above So Below spoilers) The first stone wasn't the actual philosopher's stone, but it worked for a bit for some reason. The original clue had a line about placing a stone to get a stone or similar bullshit. Anyway she put the first stone back in the 'Below' room in the same place she originally got it from in the 'Above' room, which allowed her to get the real stone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think it was really about physically getting rid of the stone, although that is what she ends up doing. Its about ridding yourself of the belief that you need the stone.

It was a little like Neo believing he is The One, therefore he is. Or the kids in Neverland being able to fly because they believe they can. She realizes from the writings that there isn't actually a physical stone, the power is inside every person's mind. As soon as she realizes that, and truly believes it, she gains the power to manipulate reality. Makes you wonder if she still has the power permanently or if it will wear off at some point.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
As Above was one of those movies where I feel like the budget and inexperience really hampered it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good flick and is acted well, but the concept needed more skills/money than they had to deliver and it left me wanting more meat. I loved the idea and wish they just ran with it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NarkyBark posted:

As Above was one of those movies where I feel like the budget and inexperience really hampered it. Don't get me wrong, it's a good flick and is acted well, but the concept needed more skills/money than they had to deliver and it left me wanting more meat. I loved the idea and wish they just ran with it.

I think a bigger budget is something that could possibly have made it better, but it could have also made it worse. After all, some of the most effective scenes don't involve expensive special effects at all, like when they have to crawl through the really narrow crawlspace filled with bones. Sometimes less is more.

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
I never heard of Ghostwatch till this thread, but it sounds right up my alley. Is it up for streaming anywhere? Cause I didn't see it on netflix.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

TenTonHammer posted:

I never heard of Ghostwatch till this thread, but it sounds right up my alley. Is it up for streaming anywhere? Cause I didn't see it on netflix.

I watched it on Youtube last night. It's amazingly good.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kart Barfunkel posted:

If anything seems like it would match these, I'd be happy to hear.

House (1977) , aka Hausu, is definitely the film to watch if you like surrealism with your horror because holy poo poo. :catdrugs:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I don't think it was really about physically getting rid of the stone, although that is what she ends up doing. Its about ridding yourself of the belief that you need the stone.

It was a little like Neo believing he is The One, therefore he is. Or the kids in Neverland being able to fly because they believe they can. She realizes from the writings that there isn't actually a physical stone, the power is inside every person's mind. As soon as she realizes that, and truly believes it, she gains the power to manipulate reality. Makes you wonder if she still has the power permanently or if it will wear off at some point.

OH. Riiiiight. It's the whole the world is as you imagine it to be, thing.

TenTonHammer posted:

Ghostwatch is phenomenal. You'll love it if you are in fact a human being.

e: Horror Kiwi Episode 2 Preview - Grave Encounters still owns.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 10, 2015

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

sean10mm posted:

House (1977) , aka Hausu, is definitely the film to watch if you like surrealism with your horror because holy poo poo. :catdrugs:

Oh, I loving love this movie. Own the shirt and everything. On the other side of the coin, could you guys recommend some of those horror movies that cause that deep existential/sociological dread? Along the lines of Antichrist, Blue Velvet, maybe like Begotten? Like, movies that are the cinematic equivalent of a Swans album?

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Oh, I loving love this movie. Own the shirt and everything. On the other side of the coin, could you guys recommend some of those horror movies that cause that deep existential/sociological dread? Along the lines of Antichrist, Blue Velvet, maybe like Begotten? Like, movies that are the cinematic equivalent of a Swans album?

The singular canonical answer to this is Possession 1981

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Possession is the best movie ever. It's also a movie that you need to brace yourself before watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Kart Barfunkel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ0JikMcRO4

Possession is a good choice too, but Tetsuo is arguably better.

• Locked thread