Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?

http://armello.com/

It’s fully released now with some new cards and combat overhaul!
Usurpers DLC is out. Usurpers and subsequents patches have added things like poisoning, piercing, and reflect attacks as well as some new heroes I’ve added below.

:siren: IF YOU GET THIS ON PC USE STEAM, NOT G.O.G. The GOG version is not being supported for some reason, so you won’t be able to get DLC heroes.:siren:

Armello is a digital board game available for the PC and the PS4. It delves deeply into the complex world of furry politics.

Wait. Don't go yet. This game is damned good.

In a nutshell, the King is dying of Rot, a corrupting evil that empowers him, slowly drives him insane, and eventually kills him. The King will be dangerous up until the day he dies and even more so as his corruption grows. You are the head of one of four clans vying to succeed him through murder, politics, or sorcery.

Also, everyone is a furry…

The art is amazing and more Watership Down and Redwall than the weird-rear end, sexualized anthropomorphic animals kids get off on today.

To gain the throne you can:
Be besties with the mad king when he dies of the Rot. Do this by having more Prestige than the other heroes. (the easiest path to victory most of the time)
Banish the King with four collected Spirit Stones (these spawn randomly to be collected, but you can find/conjure them as well)
Murder the King (Easier said than done. You also must survive the killing.)
Become more Corrupted by Rot than the King and twist his Rot against him in an epic super-villain brawl (the most difficult way to win but also the most metal)

:siren: WARNING This is a board game. With this comes the surety of making everyone you know and love despise you because you dicked them over with a dice roll. WARNING :siren:

Fantastically rendered, animated, automated. Yes. It's still a board game, and, therefore, the experience of playing it is GREATLY enhanced by being able to laugh and talk poo poo to your opponents on voice chat,. With this in mind, the post below this one will be reserved for contact info for Goon on Goon dice throwing.

:rolldice:Gameplay:rolldice:

It’s turn-based with up to four players. Every player begins the match be selecting their hero, a ring, and a signet. The heroes all have their own start stats and one special ability that makes them unique. The rings offer situational bonuses. The signets either give a point of extra stats or another situational bonus. Choose these drat things in a hurry because the game gives you very little time to do it in multiplayer, holy poo poo. That’s one of my biggest bitches about the game. Just have a plan.
The heroes are then plopped onto their own clan grounds (their start tile). The game uses a hex grid, every tile being a plains, forest, swamp, dungeon, stone circle, or settlement.
Plains Vanilla. Nothing extraordinary about the plains except if you have the ring that gives you +2 Defense on the plains.
Forests Grants stealth at night and holds special significance for characters like Sana and Ghor.
Swamps Causes one health of damage for stepping on it.
Dungeons When you step on these you explore them looking for treasure, but sometimes you find a nasty monster. These are Amber’s bread and butter, since she has a better chance of finding good stuff.
Stone Circles Heals one point of health. Also spawns Spirit Stones every now and then, which are needed for the Banish victory condition. Also instantly kills Corrupted creatures.
Settlement Claiming one of these guys gives you +1 gold income come dawn. Mercurio also gets extra gold for swiping one from his opponents.

How do I advance my hero?

Quests and items.

Items you can get by drawing them or finding them. Some can only be found.
For quests Armello will give you three options with their own stories and rewards. Every option will let you increase a particular stat on your character (Fight, Wits, Spirit, or Body) and a point of Prestige. Once you pick, the quest will be spawned on a tile somewhere on the map (usually very far away). If you reach that tile, you will be presented with a safe option and a dangerous option. No matter what, you are getting the stat, but the dangerous option will give you a chance of getting an extra reward like an item, Spirit stone, or a follower. Once you complete your quest, you choose another from a list of three.

Stats:

Fight: This is how many dice you roll during combat (before modifiers brought on by items, spells, etc)
Body: Your health.
Wits: The max amount of cards in your hand, which you fill up every turn. Also affects how many dice you roll during Perils (trap cards).
Spirit: Your mana you replenish every dusk. Also affects the range on your spells.

Cards:

Items: Equippable items that power up your hero in some way be it in combat, higher stats, or special abilities. Cost gold.
Spells: Magic. Can do all sorts of stuff temporarily. Cost magic.
Trickery: Perils (traps), debuffs, and general “gently caress you” stuff. Generally cost gold. Makes opponents :rolldice:
Followers: The other half of the inventory screen. Supplement your hero’s power in more indirect ways than items but very powerful nonetheless. Pick these guys up by questing or exploring dungeons. I don’t think I have ever drawn one from a deck.

I just rolled some dice, and I have no idea what just happened. Where do they come from? What do they do?

Dice rolling in Armello gets kinda crazy, and I’m glad the RNG is taking care of it instead of me.
These are all six sided dice. The Rabbits and Bears get an extra die for everything during the day. The Wolves and Rats get an extra die for everything at night.
Your Fight determines how many dice you roll during combat barring some intervention like items or spells.
Your Wit determines how many dice you roll when facing Perils. Items and spells can change this too.
Swords A hit.
Shield One point of Armor. Absorbs one hit.
Sun A hit during the day. A miss during the night.
Moon A hit during the night. A miss during the day.
Wyld/Tree A hit. The di then “explodes” and rolls another fresh die for you. If your hero is Corrupted, however, this will turn into a miss.
Rot/Worm A miss. However, if your hero is Corrupted, this is your new exploding die.

Rot

The Rot is the ultimate evil in Armello, but embracing the Rot potentially grants you great power. The worm symbol at the bottom right of your interface is your Rot counter. You become infected with Rot by using cards that have Rot as their cost or dying to a Corrupted creature like a Bane.
In combat Rot can be a double edged sword. If both creatures in a battle have Rot, the one with the higher Rot counter get bonus dice equal to the amount of Rot the other creature has.
So, if I have 3 Rot and this Bane that just attacked me has 6 Rot, he would get 3 extra dice to roll. Ouch.

Rot counter 1 to 4: Infected. You are pretty normal, but you take one damage every dawn.
Rot counter 5 and higher: Corrupted. You can now gain life by killing things, but Stone Circle tiles will just blow you up now. Nature hates you.

My advice to you is to use Rot sparingly or not at all if you are not going for a Rot victory. Rot is an arms race between you, your peers, and the King. If you are not on top, you will be very sorry. Remember you have to have more Rot than the King to get any sort of bonus when fighting him. If you only have a little Rot, you are just giving him extra dice.
Also if you fight someone that’s clean and pure as the loving wind driven snow, all that work you just did raising your Rot counter means nothing.
If you want a Prestige victory using the Rot, start off strong by getting super corrupted early then murder everyone to bring their Prestige down and raise yours up. Find the Prestige leader and kill him over and over and over until he’s down on your level. Then kill him.

Prestige

Prestige is how you are going to win a lot of your games, since the other victory conditions need to stars to align just so to have a chance at success. The prestige system works like this:
Everyone starts with no Prestige barring starting items that give bonuses.

You gain Prestige by:
Killing Heroes
Killing Banes
Completing Quests
Claiming a terrorized Settlement
Cards

You lose Prestige by:
Dying
Attacking the King’s Guard
Cards

Every dawn the Prestige leader is announced by royal decree, and that leader is summoned by the King to advise him on how best to rule the land. Except the King is slowly going insane, so his declarations are almost never good for anyone. This gets more and more extreme as the game goes on. The Prestige leader gets to choose between two declarations from the nutball. It could be something as banal as “Time for taxes, everyone!” or as dickish as “The King has graciously poisoned all of his subjects! Pay four gold for the antidote!” The Prestige leader gets to steer the King’s madness to maximize the hurt he puts on competitors or minimize the damage to himself. The bottom line is that the declarations are never “good,” but controlling them is.
So to win the game via Prestige, you must be the Prestige leader when the King dies of natural causes. This can also happen if a usurper tries to succeed him, and the two slay each other. Ta da! The King is dead! Long live the King!

One loop hole I’ve found in this system is that you only really need to be Prestige leader until the day before the King dies.
Let’s say you are Prestige leader, the King is at one HP, and dawn is coming. Someone pops out of the shadows and kills you. Suddenly you are missing a point of Prestige and your killer is the new leader. Dawn comes, the King dies of Rot, and… you still win! Remember that the King has to declare the Prestige leader come morning. Well he won’t be doing that anymore. Enjoy your win.

Now get to work earning your Prestige, gathering your power to “succeed” the King, or loving with the other hopefuls.

Clans:

Wolf Clan: :black101: These guys are all about combat. If you want to murder your way to victory, there's no clan more naturally suited to the task. They're nocturnal, so they get an extra die at night.

Thane is a full on melee sword-man-wolf. He starts with a high Fight stat, and he just gets better with items and completed quests. He can "burn" sword cards to penetrate armor. Most people new to the game can ease into it with Thane, as he's pretty straight forward.

Winter is the bow wolf. If she's on the attack, she does one unavoidable damage before combat even starts. This trait is great for sniping heroes (or even the King) when they are at one health.

Magna (Usurpers DLC) is a shield wall. She’s got a respectable Fight stat like all the wolves, but her main gimmick is her shield. Any Shield cards that she burns in combat reflects damage back at the attacker. Beware the Magna with a big hand, for she will give no shits about your puny swordplay.

Rabbit Clan: :homebrew: These guys are all about money and items, but they are also pretty good all-around heroes. They start off average at most things, but they have unique mechanics capitalize on their monetary advantage. The rabbits start off with a good amount of gold too. They're diurnal, so they get a bonus die for everything during the day.

Amber is a tomb raider, giving her a better chance at rewards when exploring dungeons. She makes money fairly easily during the game, so she can afford to buy the best items and have gold left over to use Trickery. Expect her to have the best stuff late game even if her other stats are unimpressive.

Barnaby is a tinkerer. He can equip items and switch them out with different ones in his hand on the fly. If you are a Boy Scout and like to be prepared, this is your bunny. He can outfit himself for anything. Make sure to increase his Wit stat so you have room in your hand for all this poo poo you want to switch out.

Elyssa (Usurpers DLC) is a builder. Cold. Calculating. Gets the damned job done. Any time she claims a settlement, she fortifies it, erecting walls that give defenders an extra shield when attacked. The fortifications are permanent and make attackers pay an extra action point for the privilege of moving onto the tile. Elyssa ignores this penalty.

Rat Clan: :ninja: These guys are all about being sneaky. They can be stealthed (untargetable) way more often than other characters, and they excel at using trickery and ambushes to get their way. Just like the Wolf Clan, they are nocturnal, gaining a bonus die at night.

Mercurio is a sort of rogue character. He is a decent fighter, but his Wits is his main draw. His special ability is that he gains gold when he “liberates” settlements from his opponents. With the spare room in his hand due to his Wits and his spare gold because he’s a thieving little bastard, he can put down some serious hurt politically and physically (if he plays his cards right). His magic stat blows, so most of his playstyle is setting up Perils (traps) and ambushes.

Zosha is an assassin. He starts with a decent Fight stat and gains perma-stealth at night time. The opportunistic kill is how he rolls, and he’s fairly safe from enemy magic at least for half of the game. You can’t nuke what you can’t see. Murder people and be a little poo poo, and you’ll do well.

Sargon (Usurpers DLC) has peered into the abyss then subsequently had his eyelids removed. He’s not a big fighter, but he comes with a great Wit score and decent Spirit for spell casting. Sargon can see the top card of every deck during his draw phase. It’s highly unlikely you’ll catch a Sargon unprepared. Unless it’s very early in the game expect Sargon to have the choicest of fuckoff spells and items.

Bear Clan: :420: It’s all about the magic. Both heroes in the bear clan have a special affinity for magic and nature. They love crystals, wood, the Wyld, etc. Bear hippies if you will. These guys are diurnal, gaining one die for everything during the day. Also, they will wreck your poo poo.

Sana is the purest “mage” in the game. She starts with a very high Spirit stat, giving her plenty of mana to work with, and her special trait lets her use her Spirit stat in place of her Fight stat if she’s fighting a Corrupted creature. I’ve had the most fun with Sana by increasing her Wits by whatever means to give her a huge hand, then nuking the hell out of my friends as they try to actually play the game.

Brun is the bashy bear. He starts with a decent Fight stat, but he can increase it for a turn by casting spells. One Fight stat per spell. He’s a damned wrecking ball if you let him cast spells before he fights. If you see the glowing bear, you are about to get womped. Be somewhere else.

Ghor (Usurpers DLC) is :420: as gently caress. He’s not strong, smart, or particularly magically inclined, but Ghor and the forest are besties. When he’s in the forest, his spells are one mana cheaper. Adjacent forest tiles decrease his spell cost one further. Oh yeah, he can also cast spells to any forest tile on the map. When there is a Ghor in the game, the trees are his. Do not challenge the trees.

Elpato fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Goons on Steam:
Elpato
Orv
dr.maniac
Nebiros
GenericOverusedName
Threat 2R National Charcuterie
aquasnake333

Goon Groups:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonmello

Elpato fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 26, 2016

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
This game is pretty awesome.

Here's hoping they keep adding to it.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

It is pretty awesome. The art is great, and the gameplay is the proper mix of strategy and RNG to cause some interesting and funny encounters.

The backstabbing and politicking gets pretty vicious. Little alliances are starting to form in my circle of friends due to our time learning this game. People are starting to plan at work how best to gently caress me over in game. This is the hallmark of a successful board game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Drunken or not drunken goon Armello sounds like the best worst thing if we can get four people. I'm Orv on Steam as ever.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

This looks and sounds exactly like the board game Arkham Horror, except instead of people and monsters and real social interaction, those are traded for a fetish-based aesthetic design, Victorian dresses and internet connections.

Elpato posted:

It is pretty awesome. The art is great, and the gameplay is the proper mix of strategy and RNG to cause some interesting and funny encounters.

The backstabbing and politicking gets pretty vicious. Little alliances are starting to form in my circle of friends due to our time learning this game. People are starting to plan at work how best to gently caress me over in game. This is the hallmark of a successful board game.

Actually, those indicate that you have friends, not that the game is any good at all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm getting tired of the Goon thing that a game can't be good if it can be enjoyed with friends.

The game looks interesting, I think I'll pick it up sometime. It was described confusingly (strategy? RPG?), so it was nice to see a write up on it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

satanic splash-back posted:

This looks and sounds exactly like the board game Arkham Horror, except instead of people and monsters and real social interaction, those are traded for a fetish-based aesthetic design, Victorian dresses and internet connections.

Actually, those indicate that you have friends, not that the game is any good at all.

i didnt read any of this but agreed

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Arkham Horror takes twelve million years to play and Armello takes about an hour.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I haven't bought it yet, but I watched the Giant Bomb Eeast video where Austin (iirc) played a game. It looked really good, and fun.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm on steam as dr.maniac.

Being able to text chat should make the game way more fun.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 10, 2015

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
K, I played through the intro. This seems like it has a lot of potential.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Not sure what you mean by fetishistic design unless...

How does this make you feel?

dimwitf
Apr 8, 2008

'morning.

Casnorf posted:

Arkham Horror takes twelve million years to play and Armello takes about an hour.

Also, Arkham Horror is a Lovecraft wiki in a blender and makes no drat sense, while Armello seems to have some kind of coherence and can be explained to someone who doesn't know the lore inside and out.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Elpato posted:

:siren: WARNING This is a board game. With this comes the surety of making everyone you know and love despise you because you dicked them over with a dice roll. WARNING :siren:

that isn't what "board game" has meant for over a decade

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

This game is great fun and a nice quick paced board game thing compared to something like Talisman. Part of this comes from the game being on a timer from turn 1, a timer you can't modify in any way (well, other then intentionally throwing yourself on the King's sword, and even thats a war of attrition, seeing as it takes more then one turn to get to him and fight him.

If I had any complaints about this game its that the non-prestige victories are REALLY hard to do. Spirit Stone is more luck then skill 90% of the time, Combat requires you to build up your character and get to the castle without the other 3 players noticing.

It wouldn't problematic except for Magic having a very large number of "gently caress you" cards that will either outright kill you or leave you hobbling and easy food for other players/Banes. This is my main complaint with the game, especially when stuff like Trickery has less powerful cards that you have a very good chance of rolling yourself out of.

Rot victory is hard but thats intentional so eh.

Overall, its a fun game, and interested to see what new characters/cards make their way in.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Countblanc posted:

that isn't what "board game" has meant for over a decade
Sub "card play" for "die roll" and you've covered most non Euros. And since Euros are largely noninteractive the groups of people who'll like Armello and those who play mostly Euros don't overlap a lot.

My only real complaint with Rot victories are that you either have to spend a lot of time dying to Banes or get super lucky with cards. I think the most Rot I've ever managed was 8, though I wasn't trying that hard to get it until midway through.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
I think the main mistake was putting the word furry in the thread title, to be honest.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I've played this game a bit these past couple of days and as the OP said, it is good.

Elpato posted:

Winter is the bow wolf. If she's on the attack, she does one unavoidable damage before combat even starts. This trait is great for sniping heroes (or even the King) when they are at one health.
Word of warning: if you are playing as Winter, the King has one HP left and you are not the Prestige Leader, do not attack him, since sniping him like that does not count for a Combat victory. :saddowns:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game has animal people? That's hosed up.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015
ahahaha lookit the goons try to outgoon one another; that's too bad

Nice OP; gonna wait for a Steam sale.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Conot posted:

If I had any complaints about this game its that the non-prestige victories are REALLY hard to do. Spirit Stone is more luck then skill 90% of the time, Combat requires you to build up your character and get to the castle without the other 3 players noticing.

Yeah it's strange. I only beef up my Fight stat if I'm going for a Prestige victory, since I'm doing this by murdering other players. The King is a different animal (:haw:) altogether in that he's got a lot of defense to get through, and you can't snipe him. Have to pretty much build your hero to be a kingslayer.
When I go for a Combat victory, I stack defense and Body, play conservatively in regards to combat with other players, and grab an armor piercing item as soon as possible (hand cannons are nice for this but a long bow works). The King is still formidable, but if it's late game he'll have one or two HP left. All you have to do is hope to survive and let the piercing do its thing. It's a gamble like everything else in this game, but at least you are stacking the odds in your favor.

Word of caution though. Players might not want to attack you anymore once you have a good setup with piercing and high defense. Expect to be a lightning rod for spells.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
How long do matches take?

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Against the AI matches last about 25 to 30 minutes.
Against three people they take around an hour. Less if they know the game well enough to not have to read the cards every turn or ask questions.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Added some stuff to the OP to make it a bit more informative and easy to read. More examples of the cards and some screenshots as well.

If there's anything you guys want to see in the OP that might help people, let me know.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I thought the other four characters were supposed to be Kickstarter exclusive, did something happen to chang that?

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

paradoxGentleman posted:

I thought the other four characters were supposed to be Kickstarter exclusive, did something happen to chang that?

They're going to sell them as DLC after a set time, as voted by the backers and to prevent character gating. Also add me to the list of goons that play.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I'll add the Bandit Clan guys in when they are available for purchase, and I get some impressions of their gameplay.

Added you to the list, Nebiros.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

The new update tho apparently made it so you can play them if you're playing with someone else who has access to them which I think is the right way to handle it.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
This game is pretty fun. My name on steam is my name here.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Is any one still playing this? My wife and I are interested in getting it.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I do with my buddies now and then. Gotta have about an hour to kill if you play with 3 living, breathing people.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

drat this looks good. Should I get the Steam or PS4 version?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

With multiplayer is it all online only or any local? Found out

e
Fuckit, i'm game.

Steam

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 5, 2015

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
There's no way to save a game in progress is there? I was playing my first game earlier today single player and had to leave for work 2 turns before the king died.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Aquasnake posted:

There's no way to save a game in progress is there? I was playing my first game earlier today single player and had to leave for work 2 turns before the king died.
The game either checkpoints at the end of a turn or when you quit, so you should be fine resuming the game when you get back home.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Jon Do posted:

I think the main mistake was putting the word furry in the thread title, to be honest.

OP is also just being honest teehee

This game is one of the most aggressively :airquote: redwall :airquote: I've seen in recent years.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

I think I got super great drops. I won my second game as river. Locked in 2 sword, 4 shields with 7 dice. Killed the king who had 5hp without getting scratched.

Edit: for the steam name thing should I give the display name I always have or the log in user name or both?

Aquasnake fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 26, 2015

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

Aquasnake posted:

I think I got super great drops. I won my second game as river. Locked in 2 sword, 4 shields with 7 dice. Killed the king who had 5hp without getting scratched.

Edit: for the steam name thing should I give the display name I always have or the log in user name or both?

Link your steam page, and I'll put it in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Elpato posted:

Link your steam page, and I'll put it in the OP.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aquasnake333/

Toss me an invite and if possible some sort of message that you're a goon and not a bot.

• Locked thread