Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sleeveless posted:

Except for The Cape.

That gave us #sixseasonsandamovie so I don't know where it falls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

To me, the worst season was Five. A lot of the Sam/Diane stuff was terrible that season. Like her basically forcing him to propose. Season six rebounded hard and aside from becoming a little too cartoony, never had any real problems.

That had some great episodes. It had the one with John Cleese and the finale was great.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
"Night Court" took forever to settle in (Season 3 being where I think it finally found its voice), then 3-6 were good. 7 was solid, but showing cracks. 8 was pretty pedestrian but not outright horrible.

But that ninth season. Christ.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Firefly
The Simpsons
Firefly
Firefly
Firefly

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Drew Carey Show

Once the character of Kate (Christa Miller) left the show flew off of the rails with reckless abandon. That said, the show was already cruising into weird territory even before that.

The show started as a workplace buddy comedy with a lovable loser just trying to get a corporate leg up but then once Drew was allowed more creative control we'd have the random sing song cold opens and live shows and April Fool's gag shows.

It all started in good silly fun but then the show began to lean more and more upon those tropes. Characters did the whole "who is zooming who?" with relationship roulette which is always the kiss of death.

If I had the power to kill the show, it would be the season with Kate Walsh gradually transforming into an obese disaster. The whole song and dance number in the refrigerator and ending with Kate Walsh's character seeing herself in a make shift sex tape. The Drew Carey Show was always a bit out there and I'm sure this season was a nod to Drew Carey's battle with weight at the time but it just lacked funny and took a huge tangent from where the show started.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gaunab posted:

The Cleveland show.

The Cleveland Show was in an odd position because Fox wanted a Family Guy spin off and despite the fact that nobody actually liked him Cleveland was the only option.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

The Drew Carey Show

Once the character of Kate (Christa Miller) left the show flew off of the rails with reckless abandon. That said, the show was already cruising into weird territory even before that.

The show started as a workplace buddy comedy with a lovable loser just trying to get a corporate leg up but then once Drew was allowed more creative control we'd have the random sing song cold opens and live shows and April Fool's gag shows.

It all started in good silly fun but then the show began to lean more and more upon those tropes. Characters did the whole "who is zooming who?" with relationship roulette which is always the kiss of death.

If I had the power to kill the show, it would be the season with Kate Walsh gradually transforming into an obese disaster. The whole song and dance number in the refrigerator and ending with Kate Walsh's character seeing herself in a make shift sex tape. The Drew Carey Show was always a bit out there and I'm sure this season was a nod to Drew Carey's battle with weight at the time but it just lacked funny and took a huge tangent from where the show started.

What always bothered me about this show was that Mimi's hatred of Drew never made any sense. Like, in the first episode she just decides for no apparent reason she hates him and that's it. But every season there would be a handful of episodes where they would need to work together against a common enemy, and they would - and then next episode they'd be right back to hating each other again. After a while they had worked together so many times that their ongoing feud made no sense anymore.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Mixology was a cheap show with no real ground breaking premise but I caught the first six episodes and laughed at it the whole time. I'll suggest it was canceled a season too early. After that, the premise would have been mega tired

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

letthereberock posted:

What always bothered me about this show was that Mimi's hatred of Drew never made any sense. Like, in the first episode she just decides for no apparent reason she hates him and that's it.

Sometimes people just hate you for no reason. Happens to me constantly. :shrug:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

The Cleveland Show was in an odd position because Fox wanted a Family Guy spin off and despite the fact that nobody actually liked him Cleveland was the only option.

I think the Cleveland Show got a lot of crap that it didn't deserve. Did the show need to exist? No. But it also wasn't trying to have an agenda or cater to anyone. It truly didn't give a poo poo, and it was a lot funnier for that, and better than the last 7-10 years of Family Guy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

It truly didn't give a poo poo, and it was a lot funnier for that, and better than the last 7-10 years of Family Guy.

7-10 years?!? What the gently caress are you talking about, Family Guy's only been on for-

Thirteen seasons?!?

When the gently caress did that happen?!?

Goddamn.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, Family Guy is trans-millennial.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 21, 2015

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

7-10 years?!? What the gently caress are you talking about, Family Guy's only been on for-

Thirteen seasons?!?

When the gently caress did that happen?!?

Goddamn.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, Family Guy is trans-millennial.

even weirder - Family Guy has been un-cancelled for a decade.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

letthereberock posted:

What always bothered me about this show was that Mimi's hatred of Drew never made any sense. Like, in the first episode she just decides for no apparent reason she hates him and that's it. But every season there would be a handful of episodes where they would need to work together against a common enemy, and they would - and then next episode they'd be right back to hating each other again. After a while they had worked together so many times that their ongoing feud made no sense anymore.

While she was being interviewed by Drew, she took his standard issue reply of "We do have other people to interview" as an insult to her looks and accused him of being sexist.

She was just a psycho bitch.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
IIRC she then tried to sue Winfred Lauder for discrimination or something and that was the only reason she got the job. It was also one of the reasons Wick liked to torture Drew. Because he blamed Drew for Mimi becoming his secretary.

Their feud did more or less end though in the last season or two while they were working at TheNeverEndingStore.com. It ended because Steve left Mimi and she ended up moving in with Drew so he could help take care of his nephew / her son who was a pyro and burned down Mimi's house and failed to lie about it to the insurance investigator.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

To me, the worst season was Five. A lot of the Sam/Diane stuff was terrible that season. Like her basically forcing him to propose. Season six rebounded hard and aside from becoming a little too cartoony, never had any real problems.

Looking at Season 5 though, you still have a ton of great episodes, including Abnormal Psychology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAb1W6FJ2qo

Cheers was one of those shows where the quality never really dipped too far, although sometimes the season arcs did get pretty cartoony. But you have late season episodes that are still pretty strong, such as the one where Norm is painting a house for Rebecca's boss, and he's trying distract him so she can escape.

I forget why she's even in the house, but I do remember Norm explaining his dream to the boss.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Robnoxious posted:

The Drew Carey Show

The Drew Carey Show is basically a shining example of why networks don't do multi-season deals in television anymore, both from a ratings standpoint and a quality one:

quote:

ABC signed a new contract to keep the show on through a ninth season, even though the show had yet to enter its seventh season (2001–2002) at that time. The season saw one of the show's biggest drops in ratings, finishing 57th with an average rating of 5.9, a significant drop of 28.3% from the sixth season. The show finished its eighth season (2002–2003) season 119th with an average rating of 3.29, a drop of 44.23 percent from the seventh season. This caused ABC to put the series on hiatus, airing the rest of the season in the summer of 2003. Unable to get out of the contract, ABC was forced to allow the show to film a ninth season, paying three million dollars per episode. Not doing well enough to receive a time slot on ABC's fall schedule in 2003, the show had its ninth and final season burned off during the summer of 2004.

The series finale was viewed by a little over 5 million viewers.

The last few seasons becoming a weird self-indulgent meta mess is a direct result of the ratings dropping off of a cliff but the show being un-cancellable so Drew just went nuts with it while also taking the show's tailspin more than a little personally; It's really awkward to see the final episode and have him in tears and the rest of the cast obviously uncomfortable about how he's handling it. I'm glad the dude worked through his issues and got in shape and has a pretty steady job now and seems to be doing a lot better.

Sleeveless fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 23, 2015

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
In tears? Can you describe the last season, or namely the finale? I stopped watching the show after it kinda lost its mind. It just got so out there with jokes so predictable you'd see them coming 5 minutes before the punch line (no exaggeration. you literally had to sit through 5 minutes of bullshit to get to the punch line you knew was coming). Made me lose respect for Carey.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Looking at Season 5 though, you still have a ton of great episodes, including Abnormal Psychology.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAb1W6FJ2qo

Cheers was one of those shows where the quality never really dipped too far, although sometimes the season arcs did get pretty cartoony. But you have late season episodes that are still pretty strong, such as the one where Norm is painting a house for Rebecca's boss, and he's trying distract him so she can escape.

I forget why she's even in the house, but I do remember Norm explaining his dream to the boss.

Season five definitely had some amazing stuff, it's just all the Sam/Diane stuff outside of the John Cleese episode is bad to me.

Rebecca was just being a creep and got Norm to help her get in the house so she could snoop. I just watched that one yesterday.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Season five definitely had some amazing stuff, it's just all the Sam/Diane stuff outside of the John Cleese episode is bad to me.

Rebecca was just being a creep and got Norm to help her get in the house so she could snoop. I just watched that one yesterday.

I enjoyed everyone's reaction to the two of them. Everyone knows how bad they are together and how they are poison to each other, but they do not get it. The gambling at will they wont they in the season finale always makes me laugh. It is really that season that Frasier begins to become something more than just part of the Same and Diane storyline.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My favorite line in later-era Cheers is when Woody says something like "Huh, she was on a hit show and decided to leave... why would someone do that?" His delivery sells what would otherwise be a stupidly self-aware joke.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008
Nothing's gonna change my world
Dexter's Laboratory hit the wall hard. What is it with shows named Dexter that run out of gas?

Has no one mentioned Saturday Night Live? Cokeheads Reading Cue Cards has been played out since a funny Belushi was alive.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
SNL has this tendency of every few years when you've just sort of forgotten about it a new performer or two will show up and the media will declare, "SNL IS BACK with the BEST CAST SINCE THE FIRST SEASON" I'll then tune and and find myself just going, "Oh, this is worse than ever!"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
SNL usually has one of two really good cast members who elevate every sketch they're in counterbalanced by assholes like Bobby Moynihan and Leslie Jones who drag the whole loving thing back down again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Cheers, like Frasier and Homicide, was one of those shows where while it definitely dipped in quality from its previous peaks, it was still light years ahead of almost everything else on television.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Jai Guru Dave posted:

Dexter's Laboratory hit the wall hard. What is it with shows named Dexter that run out of gas?

Weren't the poo poo episodes after Tartakovsky left the show and Christine Cavanaugh stopped voicing Dexter?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it weird that there are shows that I firmly believe SHOULD belong or are totally justifiable in this thread yet I still miss them and/or if they're currently running, I still enjoy them even though they're a shadow of their former selves? Several examples for me:

Heroes (I know the latter seasons were NOTHING compared to the first but I stil enjoyeed the entire show despite myself)
Glee (When Cory Monteith died, the show did. I know it had gone downhill before then but IMO it was really picking up steam again RIGHT before he died :()
Supernatural (Season 5 would've been an amazing, perfect endpoint but drat it I still love the show.)
Community (I haven't watched the Yahoo season, but yeah.)

The one I can safely say I don't miss because of how hard it jumped the shark is True Blood. The last awesome moment of the show was the final moment of Season 5, and not coincidentally that's when the actual good showrunner left apparently.

I'm sure there are others.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Sealab 2021 should have died with Capt. Murphy.

Definitely. There's a couple decent episodes in the Shanks seasons, but overall the feeling just wasn't the same.

Empire: never should have had a second season. It's just awful. It's trying to be a serious drama but so much of the acting is so over the top it becomes silly.

Agreed on Community and Glee. Glee really lost a lot after the first season in general though. The edge just vanished in favour of making it an obvious ad.

I'm suprised Two and a Half Men wasn't mentioned, but all of Chuck Lorne's stuff goes on way too long.

I think we can also add pretty much any of the current running reality TV shows. Most of them are absolute dreck that sink lower and lower to try and keep audiences.

EDIT: Another one that's still going but should've ended at least a few seasons ago: Bones

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 23, 2015

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How can you say Empire when season 2 hasn't even started airing yet? I also think Gotham was a stupid suggestion for that reason.

I guess to me it's like the idea of "I don't like this anymore personally" vs. "This thing completely lacks merit."

OH GOD YES BONES. Old Yeller that show please.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Timby posted:

Cheers, like Frasier and Homicide, was one of those shows where while it definitely dipped in quality from its previous peaks, it was still light years ahead of almost everything else on television.

I was going to contest this for the later years of Frasier, but I forgot that there really was kind of a dead spot between about 2000 and 2004 (when Arrested Development premiered)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Alain Post posted:

I was going to contest this for the later years of Frasier, but I forgot that there really was kind of a dead spot between about 2000 and 2004 (when Arrested Development premiered)

After 9/11, when one of the creators died, I thought Frasier got better, like you could tell everyone started trying harder, in honor of him. Been awhile since I watched it, though, so I don't know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: Another one that's still going but should've ended at least a few seasons ago: Bones

Sort of? The will-they-won't-they of a few seasons ago was terrible, much worse than the current stuff. At the same time though this show is a very different beast compared with S1-3 or so.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Timby posted:

I think what really helped these shows is that they kept the characters from becoming parodies of themselves. They were smart shows that always maintained a baseline of quality.

As far as shows that should have been cancelled sooner, I'll say Newsradio. Don't get me wrong, the first four seasons are some of the best written and performed sitcoms ever, but even by the end of the fourth season, you could start to see cracks in the show's foundation. They had always balanced that line between being weird and being funny, but towards the end of the fourth season, it just started to go a little too over the top. Then the death of Phil Hartman really hurt the show. Especially since the show was built so much on the chemistry of the cast, and Phil knew how to get laughs while playing a smarmy character that you end up loving. And he and Dave Foley really worked well together and the two of them played off each other perfectly.

But they replaced him with Jon Lovitz, who worked well with Phil Hartman, but didn't really fit in the show. He just couldn't really match the atmosphere and the speed of the show, and he just didn't really fit in. And I'm sure it didn't help that Andy Dick was falling apart as a person too (seriously, when I try to tell people why Newsradio is one of the best shows ever, I just tell them it has Andy Dick in it, and if it's still funny despite that, then it has to be really good).

I just remember the stories just not really being that good. There just didn't seem to be too many memorable episodes, and in the end, the show really suffered. They were given a tough hand to deal with, but it was clear that there were other problems too that probably would have dragged down the fifth season anyway.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

I think what really helped these shows is that they kept the characters from becoming parodies of themselves. They were smart shows that always maintained a baseline of quality.

As far as shows that should have been cancelled sooner, I'll say Newsradio. Don't get me wrong, the first four seasons are some of the best written and performed sitcoms ever, but even by the end of the fourth season, you could start to see cracks in the show's foundation. They had always balanced that line between being weird and being funny, but towards the end of the fourth season, it just started to go a little too over the top. Then the death of Phil Hartman really hurt the show. Especially since the show was built so much on the chemistry of the cast, and Phil knew how to get laughs while playing a smarmy character that you end up loving. And he and Dave Foley really worked well together and the two of them played off each other perfectly.

But they replaced him with Jon Lovitz, who worked well with Phil Hartman, but didn't really fit in the show. He just couldn't really match the atmosphere and the speed of the show, and he just didn't really fit in. And I'm sure it didn't help that Andy Dick was falling apart as a person too (seriously, when I try to tell people why Newsradio is one of the best shows ever, I just tell them it has Andy Dick in it, and if it's still funny despite that, then it has to be really good).

I just remember the stories just not really being that good. There just didn't seem to be too many memorable episodes, and in the end, the show really suffered. They were given a tough hand to deal with, but it was clear that there were other problems too that probably would have dragged down the fifth season anyway.

I kind of agree, but at the same time, I don't really think they ever did a truly bad episode. Part of that may be nostalgia from that hour block A&E did with Night Court and Newsradio back-to-back I watched as a kid, though.

egon_beeblebrox fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 24, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JediTalentAgent posted:

SNL has this tendency of every few years when you've just sort of forgotten about it a new performer or two will show up and the media will declare, "SNL IS BACK with the BEST CAST SINCE THE FIRST SEASON" I'll then tune and and find myself just going, "Oh, this is worse than ever!"

Really the opposite is far more common, for going on 30 years now people have been complaining that SNL is garbage compared to the golden age from when they were kids and needs to be put out of its misery and yet it still keeps finding new fans who grow up to make the exact same argument about the seasons they grew up with that used to be considered the garbage ones.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sleeveless posted:

Really the opposite is far more common, for going on 30 years now people have been complaining that SNL is garbage compared to the golden age from when they were kids and needs to be put out of its misery and yet it still keeps finding new fans who grow up to make the exact same argument about the seasons they grew up with that used to be considered the garbage ones.

So Saturday Night Live is perpetually geared towards kids who are finally able to stay up past midnight on weekends and are super excited about whatever's on TV. That makes sense.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is it weird that there are shows that I firmly believe SHOULD belong or are totally justifiable in this thread yet I still miss them and/or if they're currently running, I still enjoy them even though they're a shadow of their former selves? Several examples for me:

Nah Foochsman that's normal. That '70s Show totally should have been axed seasons before it actually was but it's still one of my fav live-action shows, at least the good seasons. I imagine most people born between 1980 and 2000 probably have a similar thing going with The Simpsons.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shima Honnou posted:

Nah Foochsman that's normal. That '70s Show totally should have been axed seasons before it actually was but it's still one of my fav live-action shows, at least the good seasons. I imagine most people born between 1980 and 2000 probably have a similar thing going with The Simpsons.

Personally, the Simpsons are like how SNL was described for me - I can appreciate the earlier seasons, but the ones I know and remember best are the ones that I saw when I was ~10 (so around 2002).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Saying Gotham is especially dumb since the season 2 premiere actually was really, really good. Even Barbara was good in it!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
i guess that means barbara didn't get violently murdered*. i didn't quite finish s1. i think the last episode I saw had Fish leaving in a helicopter.

* :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They still have to have a kid first, unless she's some 3rd Barbara.

• Locked thread