Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'll admit to liking a bit of the last season, but Frasier was already showing signs of wear by season 7, and I'd have been fine if it had ended with the scene of Niles and Daphne eloping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Those 90s comedy emmys were so stacked. I think '98 was like, Jason Alexander, David Hyde Pierce, Rip Torn, Jeffrey Tambor, and Phil Hartman for supporting actor.

e) and yeah, Fat Daphne was season 8. That's when a lot of writers/producers left the series, too, which, along with general wear-and-tear, was why it went downhill so quickly. IIRC some of them came back for the last season (11) which had some decent stuff.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 18, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FetusSlapper posted:

My rankings of black and white era tv go: I love Lucy, Beverly Hillbillies, Gilligan's Island, Andy Griffith show.

As far as the topic goes, Suburgatory should have had a 24/26 episode season 2 and tied up everything. They kind of went too mean/stepford wife with some of the secondary but important characters and painted themselves into the corner that led to the weird rear end 14 episode 3rd season where nothing really gets resolved and just kind of dived into strange but not in a good way plot arcs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV39aC4tpzw

B/W TV is very serious to me and there's no way in hell Beverly Hillbillies/Gilligan's Island can even touch the Andy Griffith Show :colbert:.

(60s TV was the goddamn worst)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

rejutka posted:

The Phil Silvers show. :allears: Nat Hiken was the poo poo.

Bilko was good stuff. There's a reason that show ran as reruns in the UK for like 50 years or some poo poo.

e) but that's 50s TV, which was actually really good! The 60s kinda sucked until Norman Lear and MTM saved TV, though obviously it's more complicated than that :v:

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 19, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rollofthedice posted:

How was Cheers near the end of it's run? I can't remember whether it was good or not.

Cheers was pretty much never bad. It kinda survived by being two different shows, it was a great romantic sitcom for the first half, and a great, mostly-comedic ensemble sitcom for the second half.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The second season of Cheers was probably the best IMO, and the second season finale (two-parter, but especially the second part) might be my favorite sitcom episode ever.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Timby posted:

Cheers, like Frasier and Homicide, was one of those shows where while it definitely dipped in quality from its previous peaks, it was still light years ahead of almost everything else on television.

I was going to contest this for the later years of Frasier, but I forgot that there really was kind of a dead spot between about 2000 and 2004 (when Arrested Development premiered)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"Mythologies" on procedruals are dumb and every procedural should end like St. Elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

precision posted:

when you think about it, House and Archer are basically the same show

Yeah, the point is that the main character being an rear end in a top hat is not only entertaining, but the main draw of the show, and the last thing the show should start doing is to moralize about it.

(I'm haven't watched in a while but I'm assuming Archer hasn't done this because the idea of Archer being a moralistic show is hilarious)

• Locked thread