Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

MTV's Real World probably should have maybe been cancelled after the second or third season. After season 2, I know I just stopped caring about the show entirely. I don't know exactly what changed, but it seems like it felt more scripted after that. I think I heard someone say some of the original showrunners left after Season 3, so maybe that's a reason.

I think part of it is that at the start the Real World was actually real, there weren't any auditions for stars, it was basically, "Hey, we need some cheap programming, let's grab some good looking interns and let them live in a NYC apartment rent free and we film it." The people in the apartment had day jobs, and the arguments tended to be things like, "I've got to go to work at 8 A.M. and you assholes are making too much noise at 2 in the morning." Which is a fairly standard argument among roommates.

After a few seasons the show just gave up on the concept of the people on the show having real jobs, instead they just got shitfaced and fought all the time.

Once the show took off, then they started looking for reality TV stars. I remember seeing ads in my college newspaper when the Real World audition team would come to town looking for interesting characters.

(As a side note, I was living in Austin back when the Real World was in Austin, I was out drinking with some buddies when word started spreading that the Real World people were drinking at a bar down the street. One of my drunken friends wanted to walk down the street and punch those Real World douchebags right in the face. I managed to talk him down by pointing out that randomly assaulting people who are surrounded by film cameras 24/7 was a really bad idea. Three days later, some random guy punched one of the Real World stars in the face. Austin had a whole lot of people that didn't like the Real World.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

They seem to be getting a little smarter about it, at least. Bob's Burgers had a mostly negative reception at first, but thankfully they let it play out.

Not really, while I didn't initially like Bob's Burger, it kind of grew on me. It's still stuck in the Sunday NFL afterglow hellslot.

So if an NFL game goes long, or goes into overtime, it gets overwritten by Football. I understand why they network would rather show a game in overtime but it's getting to the point It seems like Fox should just accept that Football games run long, so everything before The Simpsons should be moved into a friendlier timeslot.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I'm going to go with Chuck.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the show, but after the 3rd season, the fate of the show was really up in the air. At first they didn't know if they would get renewed for a 4th and then 5th season and even then, the number of episodes per season was in question. I think it would have ended after the 3rd season if NBC wasn't putting out pure poo poo that was being cancelled after 5 weeks at that point.

The continuing uncertainty of the fate of the show really caused the plot to feel rushed. I kind of wish NBC had just said "you get 13 episodes in season 4 and then you are done".

I agree that the second season finale was pretty much peak Chuck. That said, Chuck still had some pretty good bits.

Having a bunch of bad martial artists actually became a plot point in the later seasons.

• Locked thread