Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

That's because people let Jenji Kohan do whatever she wanted and no one had the stones to tell her it wasn't about an empowered woman, so much as about a real piece of poo poo.

Then again Showtime actively insisted on this kind of treatment of the subject matter in Dexter (they vetoed killing him off in the end) so I'm not sure it was just the showrunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Family Guy just got lazy. Offense is fine if you're making a point or you have conviction behind it, but the show does it in this insincere "we're being ironic OR ARE WE?" way. There's no substance.

Hell even MacFarlane wants to move on these days, but it's hard to say no to lots and lots of money.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I never thought Frasier dipped too far- I'd argue maybe Season 10 dragged , but 8- and the entire "fat Daphne" suplot- is worth it for "Daphne Returns" alone. It was always a good show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It pains me to say this, but Absolutely Fabulous.

Seasons 1-3 are superb- a well written comedy with great banter and slapstick, and it sparked my lifelong crush on Julia Sawalha. They had a planned ending and it was just fine. Later they did a special, The Last Shout, and that was fun too. Season 4, done in late 2001, was a little uneven but had its high points.

But it kinda kept going, and I dunno. It's a show where by nature, nobody changes very much (the whole point is to keep Patsy and Edina from having many redeeming qualities, so they're kept fairly broad), so I think after a while they started to exhaust comic possibilities. The later years are not without their moments (I do like the episode where Saffy puts on a play about her horrible childhood and everyone treats it like a comedy) but they started to focus on really unfunny side characters (Mo Gaffney had a recurring role and her character turned into the oldest, hoariest southern preacher routine you can imagine) to the point where, in the episode where Saffy has a baby, a good portion of the running time is given over to the side characters we don't know much about doing this medley of Chicago songs for no adequately explored reason. (And don't get me started on the kid's father, who was this weird joke of an African engineer who kept talking about plumbing or something.)

It may just be my Sawalha crush talking but I felt like Saffy got short shrift in later seasons- she kinda turned into the show's Meg and didn't give as good as she got anymore.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

MadTV ran until 2009. Holy poo poo.

I remember when E! got exclusive rerun rights to SNL, and Comedy Central switched from showing that show to MadTV.

It was a dark day.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

Most live action adult swim shows should have been canceled after their first episode, the obvious exception being Eric andre.

Mr. Pickles too.

Mr. Pickles is not live action?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Hell's Kitchen stopped being entertaining several seasons ago. As a cooking show, 'reality' show and game show, it does none of these things particularly well. But I will watch anything with Gordon Ramsay.

I tend to tune in once per season just to see how low their standards get each year.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Have you seen Childrens Hospital? I'm not a fan of the wacky/random Adult Swim style of humor, but I love that ridiculous little show and everyone on it. Most of them have built up a lifetime of goodwill with me, and sometimes it's amazingly clever and ambitious for what they accomplish in 12-minute episodes.

Also its spiritual cousin NTSF:SD:SUV. I want more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
But the girlfriends on BBT are like the best part of the show. I would totally watch a spinoff that's just Penny, Amy, and Bernadette.

• Locked thread