Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I have to disagree. There's a ton of jokes in Family Guy that are very clearly fueled by actual hate. I like to compare it like, if South Park does something offensive, you get a sense of "oh god we're going to hell, aren't we?" With Family Guy it's very blatant racism and misogyny. Whether the creators actual believe this stuff or are just playing to their fan base is unknown.

Also every episode has to have he characters getting violently ripped apart, and it isn't even played for laughs. The early seasons of the show were not mean spirited like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
AD Season 4 did have some really great moments, but overall it was an absolute chore to sit through and try to piece together what point in their timeline each character was at in relation to the others. I keep reminding myself to re-watch it because its probably more enjoyable on a second watch, but I can't bring myself to care enough to watch it again.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching through HIMYM, but I'm actually in season 6 and getting pretty tired of it. Could I skip to the final season and not miss out on anything?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
A few people mentioned Parks and Rec, and I do agree that season 5 and 6 are kind of a directionless mess and all over the place with a million story arcs, but it did still manage to still be really funny in spite of this, so I wouldn't personally include it in this thread. I thought the final season finally got everything back on track and wrapped it up decently, plus being three years in the future was enough to make it a little more interesting.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The final seasons of Futurama were not on the level of the originals, but they still had some great episodes - for example, "The Late Phillip J Fry."

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think LOST could have been okay if it was 2 seasons long or 6 seasons long, but they got the worst of all worlds by having the writers have no clue how long it was going to be and making the story a weird mess of alternatingly stretching the show out then rushing everything.

I think if there were ever a show that would benefit from some sort of director's cut release, it's Lost. Cutting out the filler and dropped plots of the early seasons, and cleaning and tightening up the later seasons and reducing the show to about 4 seasons would make a huge difference.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Fox is a network that seems to REALLY hype up and promote its series before they launch... Until they go to air and they're not instant smash hits, at which point they let them die quiet and forgotten deaths.

I think I remember more Fox promos for shows than actual shows.

They seem to be getting a little smarter about it, at least. Bob's Burgers had a mostly negative reception at first, but thankfully they let it play out.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

The Cleveland Show was in an odd position because Fox wanted a Family Guy spin off and despite the fact that nobody actually liked him Cleveland was the only option.

I think the Cleveland Show got a lot of crap that it didn't deserve. Did the show need to exist? No. But it also wasn't trying to have an agenda or cater to anyone. It truly didn't give a poo poo, and it was a lot funnier for that, and better than the last 7-10 years of Family Guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

7-10 years?!? What the gently caress are you talking about, Family Guy's only been on for-

Thirteen seasons?!?

When the gently caress did that happen?!?

Goddamn.

EDIT: Holy poo poo, Family Guy is trans-millennial.

even weirder - Family Guy has been un-cancelled for a decade.

• Locked thread