Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwO09vJAPDs

Anyone can make it,

Four different games

Six different level themes
Standard, Underground, Underwater, Castle, Airship and Ghost House

Sixty different building blocks

(Kuribo's shoe is back, baby.)

Many of the components can be transformed as well, for instance, with a normal green koopa you can:
Change it into a red koopa,
give it wings,
grow it to giant size,
stack it with other enemies,
make Lakitu throw it out,
make it spawn from a pipe, or
make it shoot from a Bill Blaster.

You can also add one of over two dozen sound/visual effects, throw a dance party, touch fuzzy and get (mildly) dizzy, or make Bowser's theme music play.
In the original SMB theme you can use a mystery mushroom to costume Mario as everything from a goomba to Sonic to Chie Satonaka*.
Unlock the costumes with your Amiibo or by playing the challenge mode.

Comes with two Isabelle costumes, because one Isabelle is not enough Isabelle.

*Nikki from Swapnote

With all these tools, you can create levels just like the classics you remember, or make something no one has ever seen before. It's all up to you.
Then you can share it online and,
Everyone can play it!

Levels are curated by Nintendo and are searchable by difficulty.
You can also play randomly selected levels in the 100 Mario challenge.
You can follow creators you like.
You can search for individual levels using 16 digit level codes.

With this much content, what can't you do?
360 no slopes

A Steampunk Gent posted:

- No slopes
- No checkpoints
- No boss-drop victory item

It's also missing certain game specific objects like pulley platforms, the evil sun, etc. I don't think any of them are deal breakers but the top three are pretty big gaps in the toolset

Now get out there and make some super Marios.
levels, i meant levels

Kelp Plankton posted:

Down+A+B on any level title screen for CRT mode

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Bongo Bill posted:

How are people making these screenshots?

Find a screen you like on either Gamepad or TV, then hit home, go to Internet Browser, go to imgur.com, select Upload Images, then Browse Computer. Thank you to the people in this thread who suggested that earlier.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
:krakken::krakken::krakken::krakken::krakken:

:siren:View goon level codes here.:siren:

:mario:Use this form to share your level codes.:mario:

:mario:Post your levels to this website too! We want to see pictures.:mario:

I'm assembling levels together into worlds in the Something Awful Mario Environment, which you can find here

:mario:Add your own submissions to SAME too!:mario:

Slur posted:

http://www.hitbox.tv/Slur

I'm playing more goon levels again, and I'll be scheduling myself to do so on Saturday evenings at 7:00 PM EST. I'll try and follow this schedule as much as possible. In the meantime, join me as I play more of your levels, discuss level design, invite in guests, and just generally shoot the breeze with you guys. I can't wait to see you guys show up and show me your levels!

Slur posted:

So, someone mentioned to me the other day that there were goons who wished to collaborate on making levels in real time. Thus, I made a Discord server (found at https://discord.gg/0ZOYvvJ8bV1e5Q53) for goons to voice chat and share ideas in regards to levels, or collaborate on making a larger level.

Week 9's winners are Quasipox and J-Spot, Congratulations!

Cold War: Mushroom Kingdom
By Quasipox
F5F4-0000-00DD-4E7C

Sky High Jinks
By J-Spot
963D-0000-00DC-4E72

Week 7's winner is Internet Krakken, Congratulations!

Zonguldrok's Mausoleum
By Internet Kraken
9470-0000-00C4-F704

Week 6's winner is Control Volume, Congratulations!

Turtle Peaks
By Control Volume
C90F-0000-00B9-32A7

Week 5's winner is me?!?

Roy Koopa's Bargain Rep-Airships
By DalaranJ
491D-0000-00A0-C1AF

Week 4's winners are Angry Ed and MooseOnTheLoose, Congratulations!

Mario Teaches Stealth
By Mooseontheloose
21B5-0000-0097-1244

Infiltrate the ? Block Factory
By Angry_Ed
241C-0000-0095-183F

Week 3's winner is Evil Eagle, Congratulations!

Dr. Molenaut's Mean Moon Base
By Evil Eagle
DEFC-0000-005E-4AEA

Week 2's winners are FPZero and SkunkRocker! Congratulations!
(Play these levels, they're both awesome.)

TIME CRISIS
By FPzero
DD35-0000-0059-F093

(Smash TV)
ILF Contest Entry: BINGO!
By Skunkrocker
D2B0-0000-0050-EAEC

Week 1's winner is Cheesegod! Congratulations!

Shell Jump Caverns
By Cheesegod
CB63-0000-001C-0355

Submit your contest entries here.

Join the IRC channel on synirc at #SAmariomaker !

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's okay to make levels that make you happy and share them even if you think they are not amazing

It is also okay to not make levels at all and just play ones other people made!

Mario does not judge you, Mario loves you for who you are

Trasson posted:

Not every level has to be "good". While there's a fairly objective standard of what constitutes a "good" 2D platforming level (flow, length, difficulty, route options, etc.), there's a whole lot of other things at play for what you can create.

Maybe your level is pretty boring to play but looks pretty. Maybe it's not the greatest thing ever but it's got some cool idea to show off. Maybe it sucks but was made under the proviso you make it in ten minutes after downing two cups of coffee. Maybe it's telling a story. Maybe it's not great, or even good, but it's okay and is a good learning experience because dammit you made a plan for a level to make and you actually did it.

It's called Super Mario Maker, not Super 2D Platforming Game Design And Development Final Exam.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

In some corner of your mind, with some memory you can attach to the joy Mario has given you, there's a level that nobody else in the world can think of, there's something that you and this level editor can make that is unique to you and only you. It won't come out immediately, but if you mess around and think of who you are and what Mario means to you i'm sure you'll put out at least one level that'll be amazing for its own individual reasons. :)

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 30, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Goons Make Mario site has a couple rough edges, which I'll be working on cleaning up very soon. Suggestions are welcome. I've been thinking about solutions for categories and/or searching, and I've got some ideas for creating level lists to share. Someone suggested adding comments sections for levels, which I'm waffling on.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just got the game and I uploaded my first level to that thing. It's not meant to be super difficult, but the top path is a lot quicker and rewarding but you only have a couple of chances to reach it, otherwise you get bogged down on the lower level, which is less rewarding.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hell yes, those quotes in the OP are great :mario:

Please keep in mind that just like Splatoon, there are probably a ton of kids playing this game! Don't go full Video Game Roger Ebert on someone's silly Parakoopa Trampoline Paradise.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Just got the game and I uploaded my first level to that thing. It's not meant to be super difficult, but the top path is a lot quicker and rewarding but you only have a couple of chances to reach it, otherwise you get bogged down on the lower level, which is less rewarding.

Befitting the thread title, that happens to be one of the 2D Sonic design mainstays - a slower "main" path with a harder to reach top path that is both faster and more reward-filled. Often with a few middle paths for variety.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Phanto DLC please Nintendo

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Phanto DLC please Nintendo
You know... I never thought about it, but it actually fits. It can even be Phanto in SMB1, Evil Sun in 3, and Fishing Lakitu in World.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hi

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Id post it but im on mobile; you need to link to the newest video on the nintendo uk youtube, Bowser Jr's mom is revealed.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

This needs to be the forum background image tomorrow.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLc-nBU3L9s

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mama mia

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is going to be a good game, friends

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is going to be the best 9/11 EVER

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Vookatos posted:

You know... I never thought about it, but it actually fits. It can even be Phanto in SMB1, Evil Sun in 3, and Fishing Lakitu in World.

Fishing Lakitu deserves never being seen again.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

Fishing Lakitu deserves never being seen again.

Counterpoint:

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I am so down for this.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
pleased to note that the 100 mario challenge has a "skip level" feature if you get lumbered with some dumb level built by a jackass, as i did. it doesn't advance you along the challenge, just swaps it for a different one

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

pleased to note that the 100 mario challenge has a "skip level" feature if you get lumbered with some dumb level built by a jackass, as i did. it doesn't advance you along the challenge, just swaps it for a different one

I actually really like that trade off. You don't get a free ride and you don't have to bang your head on some devious child's devilry.

I'm so excited for this game, you guys. I can't wait to make and share levels, pretending I'm a game developer. :)

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

The look on his face demonstrates that he gets no joy out of this. The hatred he feels for Mario is a cold hatred. He kills because he must.

Dr Eggman
Sep 9, 2012

I'm an unimaginative idiot so I'm probably gonna get this just to play the created levels. Some of them already look pretty nuts.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Dr Eggman posted:

I'm an unimaginative idiot so I'm probably gonna get this just to play the created levels. Some of them already look pretty nuts.

My 4 year old loves Mario (she has a chain chomp plushy that she adores) but doesn't have the skills yet to play any of the other games well (even the simplest worlds are impossible) so I'm looking forward to creating various levels that are basically hazardless for her to run around in. I can gradually add little wrinkles as she picks it up. Really looking forward to this :)

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My 4 year old loves Mario (she has a chain chomp plushy that she adores) but doesn't have the skills yet to play any of the other games well (even the simplest worlds are impossible) so I'm looking forward to creating various levels that are basically hazardless for her to run around in. I can gradually add little wrinkles as she picks it up. Really looking forward to this :)

my boy started playing when he was a bit over 2 years old and Mario1 World 1-1 was probably the best introduction. he died to that first goomba dozens of times but when he finally did get the timing down to stomp on him he was on his way. now he routinely beats the Bowser levels in smb3, world, 64 and all the NSMB games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I remember playing Mario when I was little. Like maybe 5. I was so bad at it. Some teenager neighbors came over and played. I was stuck on the first jump and I'd die and they would play till they died which was way less than me

It was a good experience because I got to feel cool and have 'big kids' come over and play

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Me and my dad beat Super Mario Bros when I was 5, we beat lost levels when I was 7. My entire life has been preparation for this moment

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Me and my dad beat Super Mario Bros when I was 5, we beat lost levels when I was 7. My entire life has been preparation for this moment

That's really cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My mom would play Mario with me and also buy games for me even if it pissed my dad off

Pretty funny looking back at it

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
So, they just put out a patch today.

code:
•“Create a course” scene: a small element was added.
•Condition(s) for increasing the amount of useable parts (in the level editor) were added.
•Various changes meant to improve the gameplay experience.
Basically they changed the part release schedule to every 15 minutes instead of one set per day.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

havenwaters posted:

So, they just put out a patch today.

code:
•“Create a course” scene: a small element was added.
•Condition(s) for increasing the amount of useable parts (in the level editor) were added.
•Various changes meant to improve the gameplay experience.
Basically they changed the part release schedule to every 15 minutes instead of one set per day.

I wonder if they always planned to do this and just restricted it for the review copies for whatever reason or if this was them realizing people were just gonna time travel to get everything ahead of time

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Maybe. Also it looks like 15 minutes is a rough guesstimate. We'll know for sure when the game actually comes out tomorrow.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wait, so you can get everything in the editor in just a couple of hours at most?

Does sound like a reviewer restriction, like forcing them play it for days so they can realize it's amazing instead of reviewers playing it for two hours and writing it off right away.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I didn't really mind the restriction but it will be nice getting to play with all the toys sooner

Eonwe posted:

My mom would play Mario with me and also buy games for me even if it pissed my dad off

Pretty funny looking back at it

lol what did you do to get that avatar?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

That time restricted limit was one of the few negatives most reviews mentioned for the games. Good to see it doesn't exist anymore, not that I really imagine it would've annoyed me much.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I didn't really mind the restriction but it will be nice getting to play with all the toys sooner

lol what did you do to get that avatar?

I have avs bought for me a lot

This one is from a permabanned star citizen j4g bitcoin ephebophile who registered yesterday pretending to be his own girlfriend

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Eonwe posted:

I have avs bought for me a lot

This one is from a permabanned star citizen j4g bitcoin ephebophile who registered yesterday pretending to be his own girlfriend

seraph is keeping sa alive

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Looks like it may be a variable time limit or every 2 hours or some weird thing as more people look at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i cannot believe i get to play this game tomorrow. i get to make my SMB4. i almost cant believe it. if i could go back in time to young me and let him know what was coming in the future he'd probably die of shock.

• Locked thread