Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DalaranJ posted:

Just in case any of you guys don't keep up to date with the Switch thread, I posted there that I would consider creating a new thread for MM3DS if and when there is some way to reliably share levels.

I guess you could through a goon StreetPass relay but that sounds like a ridiculous hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All the Mario maker posters could move into a big house together, problem solved.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I bought Mario Maker 3DS. I couldn't help myself; I've been excited about this since it was announced (I almost bought a Wii U for Mario Maker). Why can't they just add a "Use a Wii U code" to get a level or "Upload my 3DS level" feature? Ugh.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
The built in levels in the 3DS are fun enough and possibly worth the cost on it's own.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spongeh posted:

The built in levels in the 3DS are fun enough and possibly worth the cost on it's own.

I finished them all last night and they're all really good. I saw some ideas and gimmicks that I haven't seen from anyone online yet.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016

SeANMcBAY posted:

I saw some ideas and gimmicks that I haven't seen from anyone online yet.

A year and change since release, this is pretty important praise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I finished them all last night and they're all really good. I saw some ideas and gimmicks that I haven't seen from anyone online yet.

I assume someone will remake them on Wii U, I don't want to have to buy the 3DS version to play them

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So are they never doing Mecha Koopas?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I doubt we'll see anything else added, other than maybe more mystery mushroom costumes, until Mario Maker Switch.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Mecha Koopa is just a Dry Bones for nerds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Anyone know if there's a reward for getting all the Super Mario Challenge medals on the 3DS version?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Anyone know if there's a reward for getting all the Super Mario Challenge medals on the 3DS version?

The reward of accomplishing all of the goals set out for you should be more than enough. 😑

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Some of the 3DS challenge coins are really tough.

This is my first time playing Mario Maker. I am sad about the lack of essential features but I was never going to get a Wii U. Making stages is pretty satisfying by itself; I'm actually more annoyed that I can't look up specific stages or give feedback during the 100 Mario challenge.

Way later edit: The Easy 100 Mario challenge levels all kind of suck. Makes me feel a bit better about my own levels.

RedRupee fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 4, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

J-Spot posted:

It's been a year since I've made a level, but I had an urge to throw something together with my time off. I didn't want to spend the 10 hours these things used to take me so it focuses mostly on platforming challenges than on aesthetics.

Hurry up and wait!
A448-0000-02C1-E084

Late but this was fun. Is the "trick" a little bit of "just run at the start"? I felt like I could get the timing done more easily if I just booked it out of the gate with maybe one tiny bit of a wait after the first checkpoint.

In super old news I'm also going through the Super Mario World V levels that got posted in here every now and then and those are great levels too! Mario Maker is still great even if the 3DS version is so tragic.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nate RFB posted:

Late but this was fun. Is the "trick" a little bit of "just run at the start"? I felt like I could get the timing done more easily if I just booked it out of the gate with maybe one tiny bit of a wait after the first checkpoint.
That wasn't actually intentional but I was happy it worked out that way. If I had more time I probably would have deliberately tried to optimize the layout for speed run attempts.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Oh! Just in time to catch all those new 3DS players right? right..... Anyway here is probably my last batch of level since I'm still a fair bit away from the next medal. I've been playing this game for over a year, and I don't usually do that so this is fine.

These are new levels:
Boulder Boulevard
Castle Surprise
Platform Panic
POWered Progression
Explosive Experience

And these are fixed up old levels:
Six Coin Search
M & Y's trip to the Bone Zone
The Koopa and the Key

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I finally had a chance to get my friends to play some of my stages. I made a level that I thought was really easy where you needed to lose Yoshi for short periods of time only to reunite with him and it tested really poorly. As it turns out techniques like jumping off Yoshi in mid-air and eating enemies while jumping aren't for beginners. It has been a huge learning experience to know that what I consider very simple are actually pretty tough for people who don't play a lot of Mario games.

I did make a Dark Souls "art" level where the player experiences the events of the starting Asylum from DS1 and most people familiar with DS1 seemed to understand the reference and also noted how accurately recreated it felt, including an assault by the Asylum Demon and then follow up where you come back to that room geared up to defeat it.

As time passes I wish more and more that I could upload my levels for people to critique.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have no idea how I finished Castle Surprise. It seemed like randomly one time there was a gap at the top at the end that wasn't filled a little muncher, so I could eat a hit and sneak through. What was the "right" way to do it?

Either way the whole lot was great, though I had a lot of fits with that god drat monty mole in POWered Progression. I also spent an embarrassing amount of time not realizing that the pipe was cleared from the POW block in Boulder Boulevard, dying impotently at the giant piranha plant a bunch.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I'm bringing this thread back with something else I've cooked up. Help Mario escape from prison!

Bowser's Bastille Breakout

8618-0000-02E0-1406

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm bringing this thread back with something else I've cooked up. Help Mario escape from prison!

Bowser's Bastille Breakout

8618-0000-02E0-1406
The part immediately after the first door (where you have to bounce across the two red spiny shells that are going back and forth across the chompers) was too much for me :( A friend and I spent the better part of an hour on that level and got past that part exactly once. I really think you need to bring the pipe/blocks at the end up one grid point to make the jump easier off of the final red spiny because it seems to require an extremely pixel perfect timed jump to get through that involves specific timing with letting go of B and Y at various points.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I've picked the game back up and made a few levels, although I think they're all super rusty. One of those tiny levels I liked making, and two more just regular-ish levels.

Marvelous SpringPlant Microlevel
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B6E7-0000-02E1-B47A

Gentle Breeze with Bumps
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/76FD-0000-02E2-BF00

Muncher Falls
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/4465-0000-02DF-32EC

Also I didn't make the one below, but I thought it was short and clever.

MarioKart - Bone Rush!!
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D6CA-0000-02C0-CEDE

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Phantasium posted:

I've picked the game back up and made a few levels, although I think they're all super rusty. One of those tiny levels I liked making, and two more just regular-ish levels.

Marvelous SpringPlant Microlevel
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/B6E7-0000-02E1-B47A

Gentle Breeze with Bumps
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/76FD-0000-02E2-BF00

Muncher Falls
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/4465-0000-02DF-32EC
Pretty good! I can't help but feel like Muncher Falls having a hidden mushroom block kind of cheapens the end of it, unless you are supposed to find it because that jump is pretty hard otherwise.

I appreciate Marvelous SpringPlant Microlevel, but when I finally got to the double Jumping Piranha Plant I had to throw in the towel...for now at least.

Cerebro
May 1, 2009

I made some new levels after taking a break, most of them are medium difficulty traditional style levels:

Bigtime
FF16-0000-02AB-E527

Donut Docks
DF31-0000-02C9-4A78

Fort Nostalgia
B4B3-0000-02E2-97FD

Hillside Hobble
AC81-0000-02E6-3995

Creepy Cooler
E588-0000-02E9-CF64

The Monster Crusher
F669-0000-02EA-4215

This is my attempt at submitting a super expert difficulty level, kinda hope the bookmark site will sort it as one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cerebro posted:

This is my attempt at submitting a super expert difficulty level, kinda hope the bookmark site will sort it as one.

I hope it does count, it's kind of sad going through Expert and Super Expert Difficulty right now because I keep running into duplicate levels in 100 Mario Mode and that leads me to believe people are done making levels.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cerebro posted:

I made some new levels after taking a break, most of them are medium difficulty traditional style levels:

Bigtime
FF16-0000-02AB-E527

Donut Docks
DF31-0000-02C9-4A78

Fort Nostalgia
B4B3-0000-02E2-97FD

Hillside Hobble
AC81-0000-02E6-3995

Creepy Cooler
E588-0000-02E9-CF64

The Monster Crusher
F669-0000-02EA-4215

All pretty good. Big Time in particular I felt seemed like a classic Mario level with of course a bit more difficulty. I didn't finish Fort Nostalgia, but I knew what to do and was just getting burnt out by the end.

I don't have high hopes or aspirations for clearing Monster Crusher, at least.

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
So uh, hi thread. Been a long time.

This is really, really dumb but the good news is that it probably won't be up for long.

Lord of the Golden Tower
BBB4-0000-02EB-217D

....Guess I should throw in a real level while I'm here.

Claustrophobia
510C-0000-02EA-E5A0

Autoscroller that tries to put the squeeze on you, possibly leading to the birth of a monster.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haha, the ending to Claustrophobia. That was sneaky.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Nate RFB posted:

Haha, the ending to Claustrophobia. That was sneaky.

I thought there were only two POWs, so I was trying to conserve them.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I mean you can press up against the launchers to limit the number of spinys a bit but that would get pretty hard to avoid them quite fast.

BTW Cerebro I did wind up finishing Fort Nostalgia and it's definitely a lot of fun, just takes a while to learn the tricks of each room after which point it's just a matter of repeating your successes. What's the purpose of the checkpoint at the start though? It's early and not after a hard part, so it almost feels unnecessary other than it would have forced you to beat the level effectively twice which I can't imagine being all that fun if done back-to-back.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Got on Mario Maker for the first time in ages tonight, finally finished up a level I made for my wife about our honeymoon. https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9940-0000-02EE-05D0

You have to pack your bags so you can leave and then drive to New Hampshire (watch out for hitchhikers). In NH, you take in an indoor water part, a hike up a mountain, spend some time at a lake and an outdoor activity park with a ski lift up a mountain, a bouncy house and a roller coaster back down the hill. After that, you're off to a cabin in Maine. The hot tub is way too hot when you get there, so you need to find the ? switch to turn the heat down and to turn up the neon lights. Mostly made it to make her laugh to see versions of stuff from our trip in there, but I'm pretty happy with how some of the aspects came out.

Cerebro
May 1, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

BTW Cerebro I did wind up finishing Fort Nostalgia and it's definitely a lot of fun, just takes a while to learn the tricks of each room after which point it's just a matter of repeating your successes. What's the purpose of the checkpoint at the start though? It's early and not after a hard part, so it almost feels unnecessary other than it would have forced you to beat the level effectively twice which I can't imagine being all that fun if done back-to-back.

Initially I had a checkpoint in the second room of the center locked door sections, but the game does not remember what doors you have unlocked when you restart at the checkpoint if you die I think. TBH it was more for my friend who kept losing (and playtesting... he's not good at the Mario)

Thanks for playing and starring my levels! I like making them try-hard traditional, guess I'm old fashioned.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Perry Normal posted:

Got on Mario Maker for the first time in ages tonight, finally finished up a level I made for my wife about our honeymoon. https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9940-0000-02EE-05D0

You have to pack your bags so you can leave and then drive to New Hampshire (watch out for hitchhikers). In NH, you take in an indoor water part, a hike up a mountain, spend some time at a lake and an outdoor activity park with a ski lift up a mountain, a bouncy house and a roller coaster back down the hill. After that, you're off to a cabin in Maine. The hot tub is way too hot when you get there, so you need to find the ? switch to turn the heat down and to turn up the neon lights. Mostly made it to make her laugh to see versions of stuff from our trip in there, but I'm pretty happy with how some of the aspects came out.
As someone from NH, cool! If it was during Autumn there are some good sights to be had, especially up North. For the level, I learned that you can totally get trapped right after the second(?) checkpoint by jumping up to break the blocks and getting stuck at the top of the screen, putting yourself in a situation where the only way to die is to let time run out or start completely over.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
I'm back!!! These are back!!! I hoped to get this out before everyone abandons this system entirely for the Switch. Or not. I personally probably won't get one at launch because money. Either way, play them! I have even more stuff sitting around if I get to 3000 stars, so.....

You Vs. Boo, Redux V

You Vs. Boo, but with ice?? Yup! Too bad there's no ice theme. They made it happen in NES Remix, so??

You Vs. Boo, Redux VI

For thematic unity, uh, I guess, the second one is also underground. Just like the second one from the first one was. But with vines this time? Yes! Enjoy.

I have two more that I'll put up either when I get comfortable with the idea of deleting old courses or when I get more space to upload new levels. They probably need more testing but I just might need to see what you, the people, think.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Has there been any announcement re: Mario Maker on Switch? I fully expect it to be ported considering it's one of the Wii U's few big successes, but I don't know if anything's been said about it at all.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rollersnake posted:

Has there been any announcement re: Mario Maker on Switch? I fully expect it to be ported considering it's one of the Wii U's few big successes, but I don't know if anything's been said about it at all.

Not yet but there's no way it isn't coming. I defintely expect it to be a full sequel and not a port like the 3DS one though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they add slopes

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Nate RFB posted:

As someone from NH, cool! If it was during Autumn there are some good sights to be had, especially up North. For the level, I learned that you can totally get trapped right after the second(?) checkpoint by jumping up to break the blocks and getting stuck at the top of the screen, putting yourself in a situation where the only way to die is to let time run out or start completely over.

It was in September and it was very nice! Lot's of cool stuff to see and do.

I saw your comment about that in Miiverse, I didn't think at all about people bringing a springboard to that later section and getting stuck up there. I should have sealed that off. Maybe I'll upload a new version at some point. Thanks!

EDIT - May have been someone else's comment in Miiverse. They had the same issue though!

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 18, 2017

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Hello, thread. I thought I'd share a couple more things.

First up, just do what it says in the title and you're golden:

Hold on Green

82DD-0000-02E6-3072

Secondly, just a fun gimmick:

Bowser's Space Program

A576-0000-02E8-28BF

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

In Training posted:

I hope they add slopes

Where else can they go for the sequel really

E: Except making dope Sunshine backpack less levels