Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dr Eggman posted:

I'm an unimaginative idiot so I'm probably gonna get this just to play the created levels. Some of them already look pretty nuts.
Mario Maker is an ideal Communist video game so you play according to your needs and make according to your ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I reaaally hope I get my game (and console!!) tomorrow

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
When does the game unlock for those who bought it digitally?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

VideoGames posted:

i cannot believe i get to play this game tomorrow. i get to make my SMB4. i almost cant believe it. if i could go back in time to young me and let him know what was coming in the future he'd probably die of shock.

I am really glad they gave you a Car Mario stand-in for this :)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zfleeman posted:

When does the game unlock for those who bought it digitally?

Usually the big first party releases unlock at midnight eastern time.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Macaluso posted:

I wonder if they always planned to do this and just restricted it for the review copies for whatever reason or if this was them realizing people were just gonna time travel to get everything ahead of time

I think they also realized that restricting the parts meant the first few days of 100 Mario Mode became interminable. That certainly seemed like the case from streams of the Japanese version I've seen.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What stores are opening at midnight for this? I would get it digitally but I'm not at my house for a week. Luckily I'll still have access to a Wii U.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 10, 2015

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Here's a good article on some of SMB3's clever level designs: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RadekKoncewicz/20110420/89357/Super_Mario_Bros_3_Level_Design_Lessons_Part_2.php. I think it's notable just how much effort Nintendo put in to make sure that the player never gets stuck or excessively punished.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
What's the ghost question block? The hidden kind?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

i cannot believe i get to play this game tomorrow. i get to make my SMB4. i almost cant believe it. if i could go back in time to young me and let him know what was coming in the future he'd probably die of shock.

1. I agree with you
2. the way you say things honestly makes me feel as excited as you are and like a kid again

thats really cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if I am even somewhat decent at making levels I think I'm going to use my handle - World 1-1, World 1-2, etc

so that way I can create actual worlds that people could have a fun time downloading and playing in sequence

I think thats the main that is missing is the ability to play levels in kind of a progressive difficulty. If I made a level 1-1 it would be really easy and people may be bored, and if I made a 8-8, A-8, etc then people would say I was trying to just make stupid Kaizo levels. But as a set with a progressive difficulty increase people would enjoy it more. It would be cool to make a set of levels that gradually get harder with themed worlds

eonwe fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 10, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eonwe posted:

also if I am even somewhat decent at making levels I think I'm going to use my handle - World 1-1, World 1-2, etc

so that way I can create actual worlds that people could have a fun time downloading and playing in sequence

I think thats the main that is missing is the ability to play levels in kind of a progressive difficulty. If I made a level 1-1 it would be really easy and people may be bored, and if I made a 8-8, A-8, etc then people would say I was trying to just make stupid Kaizo levels. But as a set with a progressive difficulty increase people would enjoy it more. It would be cool to make a set of levels that gradually get harder with themed worlds

I'd suggest against that naming convention. Watching some streams of people with the game literally half the course names are just "my 1-1!! my 1-2!!" from a bunch of random people.

Unless you don't mind in which case sure knock yourself out v:v:v .

Personally aiming to make vanilla levels that I could see actually being in a Mario game, I'm sure I'll do goofy dumb poo poo like everyone else but I'm already thinking of making simpler things.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't mind, and it wouldn't be a bunch of 'My 1-1' it would be when I created a set of levels I was happy with as a world. That way if they liked my levels they could have a whole world to find a bit easier

Like I'd create a set of ice world levels

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
and a Yoshi world

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was just thinking, when I was a kid how the gently caress did I figure out about the warp whistle behind the white block & the warp whistle in the fortress

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah definitely making a d-bag version of 1-1.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
someone did a version of 1-1 but everything had wings on it

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Thinking of just using hidden blocks to make it near unplayable.

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Eonwe posted:

I was just thinking, when I was a kid how the gently caress did I figure out about the warp whistle behind the white block & the warp whistle in the fortress

Both of those were shown in The Wizard, before SMB3 was actually released. Even if you didn't see the movie, you probably heard about them second-hand.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I'm so excited for 9/11.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mutation posted:

I'm so excited for 9/11.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mutation posted:

I'm so excited for 9/11.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i hope we never forget

to play super mario maker

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Tomorrow... I will be making Mario Levels... 8 year old me would be so proud to know this would happen.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Nintendo Power was the greatest magazine of my childhood. "Here, have this RPG to see if you like this new style of game." Every month, new information about the best videogames.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm watching 360chrism play and so far there are a lot of Kaizo levels

which I mean I guess are fine but I can't wait for players to make more fun platformer ones instead

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

PantsBandit posted:

The look on his face demonstrates that he gets no joy out of this. The hatred he feels for Mario is a cold hatred. He kills because he must.

The cloud on the other hand.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'd suggest against that naming convention. Watching some streams of people with the game literally half the course names are just "my 1-1!! my 1-2!!" from a bunch of random people.

I'm hoping this site will be up to snuff, but I wouldn't count on it: http://makerworlds.net/

Also how has nobody posted the Miyamoto Myths video yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu2DnTd3dEo

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apparently a patch just went live that lets you unlock stuff in a 15 min interval instead of daily so you can now get everything by playing 2 hours instead over 9 days.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/09/super-mario-maker-patch-101/

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Long walky level
Lakitu tosses the coins
A golden shower

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently a patch just went live that lets you unlock stuff in a 15 min interval instead of daily so you can now get everything by playing 2 hours instead over 9 days.

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/09/super-mario-maker-patch-101/

THANK loving GOD.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
where's the shipping confirmation, amazon tony

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
September 11th can't come soon enough!

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Dude naming my 1-1 "Worse than 91-1"

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Amazon UK delayed my order until Monday so I cancelled it and started downloading the e-Shop version a few minutes past midnight and I'm psyched.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

MrFlibble posted:

Long walky level
Lakitu tosses the coins
A golden shower

Kaizo Haiku

I'm making my mario levels like Sonic Rush, where there's basically 3 alternate paths to the goal.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

I can't wait for tomorrow's sun to come over the horizon, bringing with it another 9/11.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

I'm watching 360chrism play and so far there are a lot of Kaizo levels

which I mean I guess are fine but I can't wait for players to make more fun platformer ones instead

that's what i've been doing

play my levels

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I will tomorrow

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Cat Machine posted:

Phanto DLC please Nintendo

If you shake it you get a version that doesn't go away if you drop the key. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
You know the dumbass way Nintendo names levels now? Like Puffprod Peaks or Sliding Slab Shuffle? I love every one of those pun names, and I'm good at pulling them out of my butt. All of my levels are going to be Giant Goomba Gulch or Wiggler Warehouse or something.

It would get banned to hell and back, but I really want to name my first level Puff Puff Pass.

• Locked thread