Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001
Even the dude who created the metroid-esque level that was jam packed full of all kinds of poo poo only ran into the limitation of not being able to remove the timer. And somehow you need more than this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Dance like nobody's watching

Work like you don't need the money

Make levels like the console will grind to a halt if more than five sprites are on screen at once

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
king leonidas took on xerxes with "only" 300 spartans

think about it

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Lone_Strider posted:

Even the dude who created the metroid-esque level that was jam packed full of all kinds of poo poo only ran into the limitation of not being able to remove the timer. And somehow you need more than this?

I think they should remove the timer as an option.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Sade posted:

Your level does not need to be completely crammed full of enemies. Place them thoughtfully and with concern for how players will traverse the level, like miyamoto.

The few levels I have made so far are based around this, I've tried to make levels that I would find decently challenging but fair, I'm certainly not an expert by any means, I'm also not trying to make the next Kaizo Mario like a lot of what I've seen.

I had a random stage that had 40 boos and 20 Lakitu's at the start, I had no idea how to get through that mayhem.

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

AfroLine posted:

I think they should remove the timer as an option.

:agreed:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

People need to accept that Nintendo knows a whole lot more than you when it comes to game design and that limitations are the best way to inspire creativity, sit down and be respectfully quiet

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
So, after time traveling, the game said I unlocked trails. Only, I can't seem to get them to show up. Even after a few more days of time travel, no trails. Is there anything in particular you need to do to get them to show up? I've tried falling to my death, hitting minus to go back to edit mode, tap Edit on the touchscreen, but nothing seems to make trails show up.

Edit: Ah, there's a Mario icon in the bottom left to click on. I guess I click too fast on those dialogs.

GI_Clutch fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 11, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Do you dare face ... THE GOOMBA GAUNTLET?!
289D-0000-0012-DC21

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cat Machine posted:

People need to accept that Nintendo knows a whole lot more than you when it comes to game design and that limitations are the best way to inspire creativity, sit down and be respectfully quiet

Yup

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Played for a bit before work and the level creator is great fun and super intuitive. Man, HD 8-bit mario looks glorious.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Cat Machine posted:

Hard to deny this, really.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
So I don't how long it will be until decent levels are made, but I just played this game and the levels people make loving suck. I mean, the 100 man mario challenge is just non-stop bad levels over and over again. I expected for there to be tons of bad levels day of release, but I really am shocked at the extent of just how terrible everything is.

Biggest problem by far is the insane amount of clutter on every single level. Also people are overusing the whole question block makes an enemy thing.

Besides messing around a little with the editor, I might just not play this game for a week or so and come back when there has been time for the filter to actually filter something worth playing.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
You should take it on yourself to improve the level pool by getting creative and making some awesome courses yourself.

I don't want to go to class. I want to make marios. Please send help

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

My copy should arrive tomorrow hopefully. All I need is a Wii U now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Little Mac posted:

If you're wanting to make levels with more than 100 enemies I highly encourage you to not make levels anymore

Think of it this way, if you were to make a goomba pyramid with a base of 5 goombas, you would use 9% of your total allowed enemies for the entire level. You don't exactly need to make an impenetrable gauntlet of enemies to hit the 100 limit very early on in a level that spans the maximum distance, especially if you use gimmicks like lines of plants or turtles. Also, as mentioned before, there are objects that aren't even enemies that count as enemies. Most of the other limitations are negligible, I suppose, but 100 enemies really is a bit on the low side, 200 or even 150 would be way more reasonable.

Why are there limitations at all? This is a game where the theme is supposed to be make whatever you want, not make whatever you want as long as you don't use more than 100 enemies in a level that stretches over a length of ~1000 block titles and a height of ~30

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Made another course, this one simpler but a bit (just a bit) more dangerous. Though it does get to rather... Ridiculous Heights.

7C50-0000-0015-2E1C

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

BabyRyoga posted:

Think of it this way, if you were to make a goomba pyramid with a base of 5 goombas, you would use 9% of your total allowed enemies for the entire level. You don't exactly need to make an impenetrable gauntlet of enemies to hit the 100 limit very early on in a level that spans the maximum distance, especially if you use gimmicks like lines of plants or turtles. Also, as mentioned before, there are objects that aren't even enemies that count as enemies. Most of the other limitations are negligible, I suppose, but 100 enemies really is a bit on the low side, 200 or even 150 would be way more reasonable.

Why are there limitations at all? This is a game where the theme is supposed to be make whatever you want, not make whatever you want as long as you don't use more than 100 enemies in a level that stretches over a length of ~1000 block titles and a height of ~30

I don't, like, own the game yet, but I haven't seen anybody else complain about the enemy limit yet at all. I seriously want to see the levels you're making where you feel like you need 200 enemies

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BabyRyoga posted:

Because no good level needs to be packed to the brim with hundreds of enemies and thousands of blocks. Show me any Mario level that doesn't fit the Mario Maker restrictions.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I would rather not see any of his levels

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

So to follow all the goons making levels, the easiest way is going to be to enter one level code from each person then follow them from there, right?

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm not sure what exactly you are using the line of enemies thing for, but you could just replace it with an actual wall, and boom you have more enemies to use now.

In my experience, the lines of enemies stuff is just used as spam and clutter and usually aren't adding anything to the level that a wall or a single enemy couldn't replicate. I'm sure there are creative ways to utilize them, but I haven't actually seen it yet. The closest was a puzzle where you used a shell to knock out a block that dropped an unclearable wall of enemies into a pit so you can now progress. I suppose that is one thing an actual wall couldn't have replicated.

e: Seriously though, the enemy clutter on the levels so far is completely awful and I can't imagine how bad it would be if Nintendo allowed even more spam and chaos everywhere. I don't know how many times I hit a flagpole and immediately a bunch of 1-ups popped up because enemies were just all over the screen when I touched the end goal.

So It Goes fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 11, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Well I was going to be playing this along with everyone else but I got out my Wii U and it's hosed. The touch screen has a dent in it, which makes it think it's constantly being pressed in that spot. The editing side of Mario Maker pretty much 100% relies on the gamepad. I suppose I could still play other peoples' levels with a classic controller or something, but I was so keen to start making things :(

Going to have to send it for repair and probably wait weeks to get it back. At least there should be lots of good uploaded levels to play by the time I can finally join in the fun :unsmith:

:smithicide:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Also the enemy limit is doubled if you count sub-worlds...

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Down+A+B on any level title screen for CRT mode

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
If anybody wants to watch some SMM, I'm streaming some right now. Took the day off work and everything!

STREAM

e: I'll be doing some SA database levels soon!

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 11, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It's not super exciting, but I knocked together a level using the Day 1 tool set.

Dungeon Delve: DF03-0000-0015-51B1

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Kelp Plankton posted:

Thank you! I activated CRT mode during 100 Mario Challenge and I had no idea how I did it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus christ, the level at 13:14 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md1-7pIRJDc (bonus narration if you understand German I guess?)

That's really loving creative, mainly just for its visual design using the level elements. And it's not a ridiculous challenge, but a fair-but-tough looking platforming level.

These are the kinds of levels I want to make.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

japtor posted:

I'm sure you'll love my (first/only!) level then :v:. Doesn't have a huge amount of tramps or anything, but usage is required:

9B36-0000-0013-A13A

This level was really cool and tough. I had to keep playing it until I beat it and I felt like a total badass when I got through it. Basically everything I want out of a Mario level. :)

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Here's a level that's not on par with anyone's here.

67C7-0000-0015-385D

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Little Mac posted:

Also the enemy limit is doubled if you count sub-worlds...

Yeah, just noticed this. This is way more reasonable then. I was mostly just annoyed due to running out of blocks when doing the framework for a level, which made it feel like resources are shared between the normal and sub world.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Jesus christ, the level at 13:14 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md1-7pIRJDc (bonus narration if you understand German I guess?)
"FACK! MEIN SHOE"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I've been wanting this game since Mario Paint on the SNES. So loving jazzed to get off work and go make mario levels :dance:

Kelp Plankton posted:

:aaa:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i will be playing everyone's levels as soon as I get home!! Thank you all for sharing and making them, i am watching the clock like a hawk.

i will only start uploading my own once SMB3 tileset is unlocked for me :>

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

jivjov posted:

Because no good level needs to be packed to the brim with hundreds of enemies and thousands of blocks. Show me any Mario level that doesn't fit the Mario Maker restrictions.

Technically, nearly every Mario level ever made doesn't fit the restrictions of Mario Maker, because of the other stuff missing from the game. :v:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Can somebody who has unlocked everything tell me if there are wind (or water current) pipes?

I'm sitting at work fantasizing about Marios.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Created my first two levels with the basic toolset:

6454 0000 0014 B142

and

7427 0000 0015 5FDB

The first one is a multi-layered level with branching paths, the second is a shot at a traditional SMB1 underground level

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm trying to draw a person out of blocks with a pipe for a butt that poops things on Mario but I haven't unlocked anything yet so it just looks kinda chunky and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Alot of the top rated levels are really bad enemy spam trash, but I do like the incredibly elaborate auto-complete levels that are being made already

• Locked thread