Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
You could not pay me to do a Paul Harris leglock seminar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Bubba Smith posted:

I know nothing of the grappling world but could Rousimar Palhares make any kind of money on that circuit now that's he's finished with most major MMA promotions? Or is he too retarded/scary to get anyone to show up to his seminars?

He's gonna be much poorer now but I don't know the numbers he made before versus after his contract with the UFC. Some people can make a decent living owning a successful gym and touring doing seminars but from what I understand Palhares is bad at both of these things. You simply do NOT want to train with Palhares. The risk factor is simply too great. Another guy that trained with Cummings, Garry Tonon, was also into leglocks in a very big way and when asked in the past if he would ever train with Palhares he flat-out refused, saying that Palhares is a danger to anyone training with him and hurt multiple training partners. The only person apparently that he would spar and drill safely with is his brother. Fatherdog could probably weigh in on this more than I can since he apparently is affiliated to the school of Eddie and Garry.

Another interesting thing I heard is that Eddie was in talks to have a match with Palhares before he tore his MCL recently. It was mentioned he was in talks about it for the Polaris 3 tournament.

While we are at it, Fatherdog, what place would you recommend for leglocks in the US? I might want to plan a trip and i'm going to either Austin Texas or New-York in the near future. New-York combat Sambo?

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 11, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sprecherscrow posted:

Ryan Hall's fanbase is minuscule and mostly consists of people who are huge MMA dorks anyway.

Yeah, after I told my wife who Hall was, she was really confused as to why someone as accomplished in BJJ as him would go into facepunching. My answer was basically "there's no such thing as a BJJ PPV".

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Odddzy posted:

He's gonna be much poorer now but I don't know the numbers he made before versus after his contract with the UFC. Some people can make a decent living owning a successful gym and touring doing seminars but from what I understand Palhares is bad at both of these things. You simply do NOT want to train with Palhares. The risk factor is simply too great. Another guy that trained with Cummings, Garry Tonon, was also into leglocks in a very big way and when asked in the past if he would ever train with Palhares he flat-out refused, saying that Palhares is a danger to anyone training with him and hurt multiple training partners. The only person apparently that he would spar and drill safely with is his brother. Fatherdog could probably weigh in on this more than I can since he apparently is affiliated to the school of Eddie and Garry.

Another interesting thing I heard is that Eddie was in talks to have a match with Palhares before he tore his MCL recently. It was mentioned he was in talks about it for the Polaris 3 tournament.

While we are at it, Fatherdog, what place would you recommend for leglocks in the US? I might want to plan a trip and i'm going to either Austin Texas or New-York in the near future. New-York combat Sambo?

Garry and I used to train together a lot when we were both purples, but since he opened his own place we generally only see each other at tournaments. He and Eddie train together at Renzo's in New York, which Yuns could give you better details on the times of since he trains there too. I know Steve Koepfer at NY Combat Sambo from way back; he's a good guy who knows his leglocks as well. You wouldn't go wrong brushing up on leglocks at either place; they have different approaches to the leglock game. Renzo's is obviously larger and has a lot more high level guys there in general, of course. If you'd be there for any length of time I'd check out both.

In Austin there's a couple good BJJ places but none that I'm aware of that have anybody specifically noteworthy for leglocks. I don't know stuff off the coasts very well, though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Gracie Humaita is a good BJJ gym in Austin. The head instructor is Paulo Brandao and is really good. I know some guys who train there and they have nothing but glowing praise for him. There's also a Paragon and Gracie Barra but I've never been to either of those.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Train army combatives with Tim Kennedy

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LobsterMobster posted:

Train army combatives with Tim Kennedy

Kennedy trains at Gracie Humaita coincidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

fatherdog posted:

Garry and I used to train together a lot when we were both purples, but since he opened his own place we generally only see each other at tournaments. He and Eddie train together at Renzo's in New York, which Yuns could give you better details on the times of since he trains there too. I know Steve Koepfer at NY Combat Sambo from way back; he's a good guy who knows his leglocks as well. You wouldn't go wrong brushing up on leglocks at either place; they have different approaches to the leglock game. Renzo's is obviously larger and has a lot more high level guys there in general, of course. If you'd be there for any length of time I'd check out both.

In Austin there's a couple good BJJ places but none that I'm aware of that have anybody specifically noteworthy for leglocks. I don't know stuff off the coasts very well, though.

I've trained with Sambo Steve a bit as well and would highly recommend him.

• Locked thread