Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

evil spiff posted:

I spelled it like it sounds, I can pronounce it correctly and I can tell him by the double chin and that he's won a fight or two. When people start misidentifying Jon Jones you can start to really flip out.

Strangely, I don't think I've ever seen someone call him John Jones. Yet we get so many people who write Rhonda Rousey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Well I think that the latter one is from TUF 2 when they had Joe Stevenson or whoever doing the climbaround spider drill on some heavyweight, and tiring himself out, and Matt Hughes just said "haha you win" and threw in the towel so his fighters didn't tire themselves out.

No, the one I have in mind is much more recent. Google said that there was a bit of a theme of that on Edgar/Penn, though I didn't really watch that whole season.

It was Franklin who threw in the towel, Hughes let his guys do it. It likely didn't effect the outcome because Stevenson won the show anyway and Mike Whitehead is a terrible fighter.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I'm interested to see if somebody can make Hall strike with them for a while. A guy with his submission skills can go pretty far in the B-leagues just putting his hands up and bulling forward, I'm curious if he's managed to acquire any level of comfort exchanging.

I feel like this won't happen until he gets into the UFC proper. Talent level on this seasons seems low.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

fatherdog posted:

They've brought somebody back the last like three seasons, this isn't new.

I thought the way they did it before was by having only 28 elimination fights so the wild cards would round it out to 16? This 18 fighters with one winner getting dropped thing is new. I don't think it was a last minute change to bring Artem back, but it's at least a plausible narrative that they weren't originally planning for wild cards this season.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Baseball is yet another sport that would be improved by allowing suplexes.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Seeing the traditional "dudes get drunk and almost come to blows" episode tonight, and I wonder if a friend of Bill's ended up on the show if they'd make an accommodation for them to leave the house to go to a meeting a couple times a week. Good god it'd be hard not to drink being on this show, all the booze you can drink and little else to do.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

It would have been pretty poo poo not to bring in the guy Saul fought for his spot with Saul out.

Did they offer it to the guy Saul beat in the semis?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea, Hall lost in the quarters, but I'm guessing they wanted Hall because a) he's on the opposite team and b) no concern regarding obtaining a visa.

e: Marcin's on the card anyway so who knows

Weird. Not complaining as I'm a big fan of Hall's, but you'd think it'd go to the guy who made it farther.

CommonShore posted:

Yes. Saul beat Hall. He turned it into a brawl once Hall couldn't get any leg lock at all, even from a stall or a crawl. His game hit the wall. But when Saul had the gall to lie and drop the ball, Hall got the call.

Despite completely misunderstanding my question, you managed to make the best post in this whole thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Maybe they know that Hall has a fanbase outside the UFC already and are hoping he'll bring in some more PPV money.

Ryan Hall's fanbase is minuscule and mostly consists of people who are huge MMA dorks anyway.

• Locked thread