Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

First of the season's fighter blogs, I expect there'll be more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm constantly mixing up whether Faber or Hall is the one with the J.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

After Conor beat Chad, he made a special point to thank his coaches, and that no man is self made. He then promptly went on to do nothing for his fighters beyond appearing for their fights.

Like literally the next episode preview shows him training with them and them discussing it afterwards, but definitely take TJ Dillashaw's word for it

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Street Horrrsing posted:

After Conor beat Chad, he made a special point to thank his coaches, and that no man is self made. He then promptly went on to do nothing for his fighters beyond appearing for their fights.

Street Horrrsing posted:

I’m going to provide coaches that I have come up with.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Whatever lighting rig they have that puts little gleaming circles in people's eyes for all the interview segments is weirdly distracting to me

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

LobsterMobster posted:

AWKWARD BANTER TIME

Long, awkward pauses ahoy

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm interested to see if somebody can make Hall strike with them for a while. A guy with his submission skills can go pretty far in the B-leagues just putting his hands up and bulling forward, I'm curious if he's managed to acquire any level of comfort exchanging.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

tesilential posted:

I bet McGregor threatened to walk or just half rear end the season when his teammate lost the fight to get in the house and that's why they brought him and the other guy back.

They've brought somebody back the last like three seasons, this isn't new.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

Looks like in the promos for tonight's episode Conor has gone from yelling get up! to Stand on your feet from the corner. Evolution!

For those who didn't watch, what this actually turned out to be was Conor telling the dude between rounds "You're winning on the feet, stay on the feet!" after which the guy would go out, instantly shoot a double, and pull guard the second there was even a trace of a sprawl on the part of his opponent. It was actually kind of funny watching him relentlessly do the opposite of what he was told at every conceivable turn.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dantu posted:

It was pretty comical. I never really liked Faber before but he seems like a p cool dude.

Faber has always been a very cool, classy dude. He comes across worse than usual on this show because he has that habit of "Says a thing" *pause* *other guy hasn't said anything yet* "Says thing again"

It's something a lot of people do when they're talking, but when you're talking poo poo on camera it makes you look terrible

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I'm not sure how showing up for the morning light practice is going to make the guy not do the opposite of what you tell him to.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
That was a really good example of how to use the tripod as a defense against a guy with excellent back control

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

And of course the guy who didn't train is gassed. Lol

Hanging on the back when someone's tripoded like that is very, very tiring. It's one of the reasons it works as defense even if the guy on the bottom doesn't appear to be doing much for long periods of time.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Kinda weird I was expecting a sudden victory round

It really should have, but from the way Tom looked at the end of 2 I doubt the outcome would have been much different.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How would you deal with that, if you were the backpack?

Reach back with the underhooking hand and grab under their leg. Worst case this makes it harder for them to shake you off, best case you can pull forward enough to destabilize the tripod and break them down. I believe you can see Gallicchio trying this once but Marcin was able to step out of it. Iirc you can see BJ doing this a bunch vs Gomi in their fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

I thought he was going for the same knee bar Lauzon hit on Gomi

It was probably the other way 'round; Lauzon was going for the leg to hold on/break base, and then when his hands slid down the calf he went after the knee.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Lol at "Just give me everything"

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Conor not showing up to the wayans is weird

I would assume that if he had some other commitment neither he nor NSAC was gonna bother to reschedule since it doesn't actually matter if he's there or not for the weigh-ins.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I feel like round 1 is probably Mehdi, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the judges have it the other way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
lol what

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dantu posted:

Lofty goals. "I want to be remembered as the guy that was smart enough not to wear a bandanna with a penis drawn on it."

tbf that would put you in the top half of TUF contestants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Odddzy posted:

He's gonna be much poorer now but I don't know the numbers he made before versus after his contract with the UFC. Some people can make a decent living owning a successful gym and touring doing seminars but from what I understand Palhares is bad at both of these things. You simply do NOT want to train with Palhares. The risk factor is simply too great. Another guy that trained with Cummings, Garry Tonon, was also into leglocks in a very big way and when asked in the past if he would ever train with Palhares he flat-out refused, saying that Palhares is a danger to anyone training with him and hurt multiple training partners. The only person apparently that he would spar and drill safely with is his brother. Fatherdog could probably weigh in on this more than I can since he apparently is affiliated to the school of Eddie and Garry.

Another interesting thing I heard is that Eddie was in talks to have a match with Palhares before he tore his MCL recently. It was mentioned he was in talks about it for the Polaris 3 tournament.

While we are at it, Fatherdog, what place would you recommend for leglocks in the US? I might want to plan a trip and i'm going to either Austin Texas or New-York in the near future. New-York combat Sambo?

Garry and I used to train together a lot when we were both purples, but since he opened his own place we generally only see each other at tournaments. He and Eddie train together at Renzo's in New York, which Yuns could give you better details on the times of since he trains there too. I know Steve Koepfer at NY Combat Sambo from way back; he's a good guy who knows his leglocks as well. You wouldn't go wrong brushing up on leglocks at either place; they have different approaches to the leglock game. Renzo's is obviously larger and has a lot more high level guys there in general, of course. If you'd be there for any length of time I'd check out both.

In Austin there's a couple good BJJ places but none that I'm aware of that have anybody specifically noteworthy for leglocks. I don't know stuff off the coasts very well, though.

• Locked thread