Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

In the interest of encouraging new players to the mafia community I will play.

Guys, here's what you need to do to win:

##vote Opop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

CCKeane posted:

Oh it looks like this game is full.

WELL THEN I WILL NEVER PLAY THIS GAME TAKE THAT.

:mediocre:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

I hope we haven't already scared the newbies away :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

Welcome, new players! Our community overlord, the great and powerful EccoRaven, has decreed that I must instruct you in the Ways of Mafia. Please memorize the following, so that you can win at Mafia:

Lumpen's Infallible Scumtellidex
That Reveals Scums Every Time
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
[list]

Guys, maybe stop posting for a minute and let them talk.

Don't be shy, newbies! We're very gentle!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

LowellDND posted:

Hi I guess? Never done Mafia, have no idea what's going on.

Rarity posted:

Guys, here's what you need to do to win:

##vote Opop

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

HiipFire posted:

they grow up so fast man

I'm such a proud mafia mommy :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Someone Awful! posted:

Sorry I was absurdly busy yesterday, helping a friend move and didn't see this started

so uh

yeah hi

Don't worry, it started about an hour ago!

Hello :)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't know who to trust :ohdear:

Trust yourself. When it turns out you're wrong, double down and trust yourself EVEN HARDER.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Not that you asked, but i would give one to Rarity.

Aw shucks, you always know the perfect gift for me :3:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Kashuno posted:

##vote lumpen

See ya d2

This is very tempting. I don't like how he's come out of the gates so hard, he's trying to take control of the game. Could it be for NEFARIOUS PURPOSES hmmmmm

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

Rarity, I think this post seems disingenuous. Do you really believe I've done anything to "take control of the game" in my 17 posts? I haven't even advocated any lynches. Playing content game gets people to post and creates something to post about. It encourages a more active game, and that is good for Town. I would love for everyone to get super engaged and come out of the gates hard, although I know it's the weekend.

You're also wishy-washy about voting or not. Hesitant.

So I'm wondering if you're Town and struggling with a desire to vote me but it's personal but you don't want to look petty and you think I'm probably Town, or else you're Scum and struggling with the desire to jump on a bandwagon but not wanting to have it look totally unjustified. You don't seem to actually think I may be pursuing "NEFARIOUS PURPOSES hmmmmm" (which I am not, and you are a good enough player hopefully to see that and not really want the game to lurk more). Kashuno is pretty clearly voting for someone he does not think is Scum.

It's not about pushing for lynches or anything like that. My read on you is based on your assertive tone and extensive flaunting of your mafia experience. This is a newbie heavy game and I think you're trying to get the newbies to fall in line with your way of thinking so you can take the role of town leader. Yes, content game is good and useful but it's early days so relying on it now to drive content looks like a crutch because you want to push the game in the direction you want instead of letting it develop naturally. I also don't like you praising my mafia ability, I never trust flattery.

As for Kash, there's no need to get on his back over that vote cause I doubt it's a serious one. Mine however, is.

##vote Lumpen

Good day!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

imgay posted:

Rarity, which 2 people would you want to see as the 2 new white cast members of Empire

Opop as a white rapper would be glorious

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Opopanax posted:

My names Opop and I think it's time
To listen to a funky rhyme

So you have time to show up as soon as you're mentioned in a joke post but you don't have time to have opinions?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, when would you use content game, except very early on? It's a major distraction from actual content any time after D1.

##vote Rarity

Content game is best used in anaemic games where you're on D2 or D3 and still nobody's really doing anything and/or loads of people are lurking. That's the point where content game is a really good tool to get people posting or to focus people's reads.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

How many players in this game have posted more than the mod? How many have posted less? I was bored yesterday, and want Mafia action. I want to encourage posting and get the newbies involved.

Your justification for your vote rings super fake and disingenuous, it is an excuse to bandwagon. HiipFire and Opop's votes on me are not particularly Scummy, and the newb's thirdvote was funny, but the later ones on the pile reek, especially your and Kashuno's.

I do not believe that you believe your own posts, and yet you keep affirming that you're being serious, so I conclude you're probably Scum.
##vote Rarity

To be fair I didn't realise you were already on 5 votes, but once I did I didn't feel bad about it :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Disagree.

What do you think of my comment that you're going for the low hanging fruit? Do you agree? Disagree?

Disagree.

Your turn. Reread Lumpen's posts, do you think he was trying to set himself up as town leader? If so, why and if not, why not?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

Yes, to a degree. But still, the most active players in any game tend to flip Town, that is just true, unless someone shitposts their way to the top of the postcount.

This is total bullshit. There are a bunch of players on SA who play exactly that way as scum. merk, Byers, diqnol, in this game there's you, me, FV and Ernie who are all capable of that and have done so in the past. I still think you're trying to drive your own narrative here.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

Hopefully Rarity posts more and doesn't just lurk out the rest of the day to escape the heat.

FV, do you really think that knowing me as a poster Lumpen would seriously believe or question that I would lurk in a game?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Ernie. posted:

##vote hiipfire

this post is grandstanding. it doesn't actually achieve anything. why is it worded as if it's trying to convince lumpen that he himself is scum?

moreover it comes off to me as hiipfire posting what he thinks a townie would be thinking rather than what a townie would actually think which is

This is a good post that makes a good point. Furthermore, it's making me wonder if Hiipfire and Opop are hiding behind an essential policy lynch to prevent having to make content.

Hiip, Opop, tell me another player you think is scum.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Captain Foo posted:

I don't love this post. While I also don't like rarity's pointless "nefarious purposes" thing, the bigger issue here to me is lumpen's response. Specifically, that he finds the callout of trying to control the game incredulous, and then specifically tying the number of posts in. Seriously, lumpen's obviously been taking a strongly aggressive leadership role upon himself. Doesn't need to advocate any lynches at this point in the game and to his own point, the game is young. wasn't a lot to generate real lynch cases from yet. in fact, strongly advocating for lynch on anyone that early is suspicious on its own. it is quite possible to take control of the game while not advocating any lynches early - that's what lumpen is actually doing yet he seems to be saying that taking control of the game requires advocating lynches. it doesn't, he's just driving the discussion.

secondly, the last part of the post is really weird. lumpen is trying to do a very complex analysis of rarity's post and the reasons for it, while also setting up a dichotomy that doesn't at all have to be true. this really rubs me the wrong way. furthermore "you're a good enough player to X" is a really dangerous argument to make at best and hilariously WIFOM at worst. it assumes a ton about how an experienced mafia player would play, that there is a General Correct Strategy or Tactic, and that there wouldn't be some other reason to not follow a generally expected strategy. It's poo poo, through and through.

This is a solid and well thought post, I'm liking Foo for town.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Kashuno posted:

You always like me for scum :shrug:

This post gives me ~*vibes*~, I feel like Kash is trying to make a show of being casual.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ok, sorry for my abrupt reply, but I didn't think talking about the content game any further was helpful. I do still want to talk further about your vote on Lumpen. He was pretty much the only vocal player in the thread, he has an abrasive play style and he already had a couple of joke votes sitting on him. Please elaborate on how he wasn't a low hanging fruit vote.

Ok, you have a point. I was being needlessly abrasive, he was low hanging fruit. However, I vote for the person I think is scum, it doesn't matter how their fruit hangs.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think Lumpen probably was trying to set himself up as a town leader, and I think the why is because Lumpen likes to be in control and I see that as an aspect of his personality that is not alignment dependent. Can you explain why you think only a scum player would try to put themselves in that position? Do you really think Lumpen couldn't behave this way as town?

As I've already explained, in a newbie heavy game as you can lead the newbies around in any direction you wish. What reason do you think a town Lumpen would have for trying to get that level of influence?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I totally disagree with you here. The winning strategy on SA recently would be to just lynch from the bottom of the post count up. Town would win consistently. You even overestimate me, go back and look at my post count in Port Lourde. I am absolutely not a high volume poster there -- I got called out by the mod for lurking.

Port Lourde is anecdotal evidence. We all play against our meta sometimes. The point is it's something you can do, it's something many people can do and just because it's not what other people do doesn't mean it should be completely disregarded as a scum playstyle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Ugh, sorry I should have multi-quoted for my replies.

No, but maybe he was just prodding you? Do you think Lumpen is a player that wouldn't do that?

I think he's once again trying to control the narrative by portraying his lynch target in a certain light so that newbies get an impression based on that and not from actual posts.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Chamale posted:

Aaaaaaah!

I'm most suspicious of you, motherfucker. You know you're not trustworthy, and you're trying to lead the new people around by the nose and distract them from yourself. It's not going to work. Scum protects scum, and I wasn't convinced by Kashuno's cute little vote and unvote. See how he's defending you now! Then there's Ernie, who vouched for you, in a way that we conveniently can't verify. Lumpen, Kashuno, and Ernie. are scum.

Hi, it's great to have you playing :)

That said, I'm never a fan of people basing reads on unknown flips. Do you have any thoughts that aren't relating to the Lumpen discussion?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

One thing I'd like to draw everyone's attention to. Lumpen has been saying all this time that content is great because then it can be analysed. In the last couple of pages there is a bunch of solid non-Content Game content that we can start looking at involving a number of different players. However, all Lumpen's done is defended himself and prodded the newbies for more. He's not actually doing any actual, you know, analysing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Kashuno posted:

Can someone explain to me the point of unconfirmed masons?

There isn't one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Kashuno posted:

Also I just want to throw this out there:

Deadline is 1PM PST

The only reason I'm saying it is because I hate people saying "whoa wow didn't realize deadline was midday." Now you do.

Oh my god I'm going to be around for deadline this never happens this is the best :neckbeard:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Ernie. posted:

i work 7 days a week.

Ernie take some you time :ohdear:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Generally I know who I'm playing with, so I can judge them by how they talk/act when faced with specific accusations. Obviously, this isn't the case here-I don't know anyone, I don't know how anyone usually acts, and the specifics of the format make it much more difficult to judge who's a bad liar and who isn't. So forgive me if I stay out of the opening discussion, since at this point I can't honestly judge any of it.

Guys, can we all take a moment to appreciate how poo poo this post is?

Acebuck, the only way to learn is to try.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Wow, even me and Lumpen can agree on something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

TMMadman posted:

Seriously. Half of Mafia seems to be not being afraid to be wrong. So just step up to the plate and start swinging. Nobody is going to hold it against you for being wrong.

One thing I think hampers town in way too many games is that townies end up being primarily motivated by fear rather than victory. Too many of us care more about survival than we do about making sure town wins at the end of the game and that leads us to hold back.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm Cheedo the Fragile, by the way. Wives unite!

Why did you suddenly feel the need to claim flavour?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

I don't understand this imgay/TM slapfight at all

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

TMMadman posted:

I have no idea what that means.

:henget:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

"on" or "by"?
Also, like a newbie would do?

His lurking and his post excusing himself from discussion are the Scummiest things about him, his vote post looked Newbie Town to me.

Why do you think he claimed flavour?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Lumpen posted:

If you have fewer posts than the Mod, get posting.

pre:
Lumpen	        70
Kashuno	        42
Captain Foo	39
Rarity	        35
TMMadman	30
HiipFire	28
fiery_valkyrie	28
Ernie.	        27
imgay	        23
Opopanax	16
Someone Awful!	13

****MOD LINE**** SirSamVimes	12

LowellDND	12
apostateCourier	12
Chamale	        8
Colonel Corazon	6
Acebuckeye13	5

Oh my God quit it with this shut and start playing mafia, it's annoying as gently caress

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Ernie. posted:

this logic is so bad it must come from a town mind :X

I don't get this at all, TM's logic looks sound to me

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

Kashuno posted:

This is your first content post of the game. Of the list of people you mention, you only call one of them scum. Despite this, you don't vote for the one scum read you have.

##vote apostateCourier

Kash makes an excellent point here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

i fucking love scoops

apostateCourier posted:

This post strikes me as weirdly huffy. Gut's telling me that voting for imgay would lead to good things.

Him not changing his behavior isn't scummy in and of itself, given that his behavior is creating activity in the thread.

This post is weird but i'm struggling to explain why and having to phone post cause my internet is broken. I'll try to come back to it later

• Locked thread