Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
Bad luck Hume et al. People will now be writing off Hawthorn but those people are wrong. They'll win next week easily, and I reckon they'll beat Freo at Subi or Sydney at the SCG, and will be favourites for the GF against West Coast or Freo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
They'll win next week, but I don't think they'll be favourites in the GF if they make it there.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Ah the Mexican Wave.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Also, thank you West Coast.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
Just get rid of that slap bass and the song is... Less bad

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

But still: gently caress YEAH WOOOOO

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I hope the Hawks never win a flag again.

E: make that any team that's not the Saints. And maybe the Dees and Dogs.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

gabensraum posted:

Bad luck Hume et al. People will now be writing off Hawthorn but those people are wrong. They'll win next week easily, and I reckon they'll beat Freo at Subi or Sydney at the SCG, and will be favourites for the GF against West Coast or Freo.
Yeah, it's always tougher the long way around (I'd have to dig up who managed it last), and given we've had some pretty dumb losses this year beating Footscray or Adelaide isn't a given. I'll just worry about not going out in straight sets this week I think since that happened to two clubs last year.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Eagles, 2006.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I would very much like Hawks to lose against another bird next week.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Top work Eagles.

Never knew Ling was a Hawhtorn supporter but he's said nothing but praise for them tonight.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

Eagles, 2006.
Thanks! So yeah, it's been a while.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
A fuckload of very dangerous contact around fences from the Eagles tonight. Hopefully that gets looked at.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Good thing the rain held off, pissing down now.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
That was nice. Hopefully Freo win tomorrow, would rather not play them in the prelim. Still think that if Hawthorn make the GF they will be favourites.

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!

spamman posted:

A fuckload of very dangerous contact around fences from the Eagles tonight. Hopefully that gets looked at.

Nah

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

I would very much like Hawks to lose against another bird next week.

:hfive:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Posting from Kaniva, game sounded fun on the radio.

So who else is hitting the mcg tomorrow night? Impromptu post game goonmeet?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

With Franklin and Jack out for the Swans, yeah, probably Freo should win. From the Hawks' pov, I'm not sure who I'd want to win tomorrow, actually, since it's another difficult road trip either way. But like I said, not going to worry about that until after the next game. Which will be at the MCG, at least.

Last quarter was OK, whether that was just West Coast deciding to put the cue in the rack, but gently caress the handpassing and general awareness was not good tonight.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
eagles had a bunch of players who played in big bursts through the game. shuey had a huge second term, lecras had a big third, wellingham had a really good second half. not too many eagles players looked out of depth in their first final. guess the big question is whether they have blown their load tonight and whether they still have something in the tank for the next match and the one after

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Really, the Eagles have been pretty solid all year and should be well primed for whoever they have to face in a fortnight's time.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Periphery posted:

I hope the Hawks never win a flag again.

Yep!

But yeah I reckon they will come out and pump Crows/Dogs next week and I give them a much better chance against Freo in Perth over the chances I gave them before tonight against the Eagles. Hawks have programmed me to suspect that they will always win the flag.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Yeah they finished 2nd for a reason, even though they were missing many of their key defenders.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

That game was really boring.
You pretty knew who had won by half time, you were just waiting to see by how much.

That sounds bad, so let me clarify. The Eagles beat the Hawks by so much that you pretty much knew they'd won at half time.
The Eagles are now red hot Premiership favourites. With Buddy and Jack out... that raises the stakes for a Derrrrrrrrrrby Final through the roof.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

So pumped after that win. I was convinced we'd get smashed after Priddis went out.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

demons b&f

winner - bernie vince
runner up - jack viney
third - tom mcdonald
fourth - jesse hogan
fifth - nathan jones

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

gently caress yeah, was not expecting that. Midfield stood up, super impressive to see the boys make up for the 30+ possession gap left by priddah. That was a good crowd to be in. Both those teams really needed the week break, turns out the easy way of getting some rest into players is to finish up near the top and win your way to a prelim, maybe Rossy should focus on that next time around instead of tanking.

Sam Mitchel is a pretty good football player.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
What happened to Nathan Jones this year? I remember him being one of the only Melbourne players to put in a full effort every game for the last few years. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, I just haven't watched many Melbourne games this year.

edit: Having said that 5th in the B'n'F in an improving team isn't a bad result

Weird Sandwich fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 11, 2015

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

jones had another really good year, statistically comparable to vince's. i think the votes more reflected appreciation for new guys coming through rather than just keeping the love for a guy who already has a few wins under his belt

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
That was an amazing game, holy poo poo the atmosphere was good. Glad I didn't have to hear the dreadful channel 7 commentary.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

snaeksikn posted:

jones had another really good year, statistically comparable to vince's. i think the votes more reflected appreciation for new guys coming through rather than just keeping the love for a guy who already has a few wins under his belt

Ok thanks, that makes sense. And yeah that was a great game, even with the channel 7 commentary.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Adam Simpson is a wizard

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

i dont get subbing off hale when smith was hampered and out of the contest all game

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Almost as if the Hawks concentrated so hard on winning the midfield they forgot there's a back and a forward. Eagles with too many answers, and on that form, we could be looking at a GF derby.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

spamman posted:

A fuckload of very dangerous drink driving around innocent children from Hodge last week. Hopefully that gets looked at.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

snaeksikn posted:

demons b&f

winner - bernie vince
runner up - jack viney
third - tom mcdonald
fourth - jesse hogan
fifth - nathan jones

Vince only pipped Viney by 1 vote in the end, 389 to 388. Fantastic result from Jack.
It was McDonalds to lose early in the season but he had a big form slump after getting destroyed by Cloke, took a long time to get some confidence back including a stint in the forward line.
Jesse hogan :swoon:

Weird Sandwich posted:

What happened to Nathan Jones this year? I remember him being one of the only Melbourne players to put in a full effort every game for the last few years. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, I just haven't watched many Melbourne games this year.

edit: Having said that 5th in the B'n'F in an improving team isn't a bad result

Jones has been carrying a neck injury for almost the entire year, he's going to get surgery on it now and no contact drills til the new year, which makes a lot of sense in retrospect because his form wasn't close to previous years.
I wouldn't be surprised if Dom Tyson was also carrying something for most of the year since he had a big drop off.

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

thepokey posted:

Yep!

But yeah I reckon they will come out and pump Crows/Dogs next week and I give them a much better chance against Freo in Perth over the chances I gave them before tonight against the Eagles. Hawks have programmed me to suspect that they will always win the flag.

Gunston their number 1 goalkicker this season, so even if hawks do get to the GF, they'll be underpowered. Not to mention tired - they'll have to travel three out of the four weeks to make the GF, not something they're used to in September.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Hawks made some inexplicable basic skill errors, as Clarko put it "fumbled balls, missed kicks, missed handballs"

since it's Hawthorn I'm prepared to believe they were having a bit of an off night and still rate them a good chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

I agree, Hodge should have been suspended for this match either for that or for the post incident which didn't get a harsh enough penalty for my liking.

I also don't like seeing players get shoved into fences, particularly on wet/greasy tracks. Both are dangerous acts, both should be dealt with.

• Locked thread