Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So they've overturned Falls red card so he's free to play in the third test. That just makes it even more confusing for me, by the book its a red card so it doesn't really matter if you think the book is wrong or not overturning it seems weird.

That said I think Fall shouldn't have been carded in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Aramoro posted:

So they've overturned Falls red card so he's free to play in the third test. That just makes it even more confusing for me, by the book its a red card so it doesn't really matter if you think the book is wrong or not overturning it seems weird.

World Rugby under Brett Gosper has a history of undermining their own officials and laws - unless it happens to involve the All Blacks on the wrong end. Compare how they threw Craig Joubert under the bus after the Australia v. Scotland quarterfinal, and how they've stayed mum on Roman Poite's penalty-not-a-penalty meltdown to decide the 3rd Lions test and series last year.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

World Rugby under Brett Gosper has a history of undermining their own officials and laws - unless it happens to involve the All Blacks on the wrong end. Compare how they threw Craig Joubert under the bus after the Australia v. Scotland quarterfinal, and how they've stayed mum on Roman Poite's penalty-not-a-penalty meltdown to decide the 3rd Lions test and series last year.

You keep whining about this but then I look as see Tanielu Tele only got 3 weeks for trying to murder a man, and only get a yellow on the pitch.

Steve Hansen said the red was over harsh on the pitch, I don't think anyone is suggesting the Fall should have been sent off. But at the same time they shouldn't be undermining the rules they wrote. The card should have stood but then changed the rules as Hansen suggested.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

On another note the U20 Championship this year was pretty good, some high scoring games as you'd expect and some really interesting prospects. I wonder how long it'll be before we see Louis Carbonel in a senior team French shirt.

Georgia also showing some ability, beating Ireland, Scotland and Japan, and lost a close game to South Africa. Scotland managed to win exactly 1 match, against Ireland, so room for improvement you might say there.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Aramoro posted:

I think it comes down to the "reasonable chance at the ball". since he wasn't jumping and the other guy was so he was deemed not in the contest by the on field ref. but he had eyes only on the ball running backwards and had no idea the jumping player was there. watching it live I believed he thought he was going to catch it till an all black slammed into his shoulder.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Red card at the moment it happened, with limited time to look at everything was probably the right decision for Gardner to make but in review the board saw that the AB 13 bumped Fall, making it impossible for him to pull out of his attempt to catch the ball so red is overturned as it was clearly unintentional and probably should have only been a yellow.

Seems pretty sensible decision to me though Ayoub as a video ref should really have brought Leinert-Brown's bump to Gardner's attention in the first place but he's been consistently shite for a while so no real surprise there.

We'll probably see a rules change on this soon to take intent into account ie: were the player's eyes on the ball at all times, etc. which is going to make refs jobs an even bigger ballache but might stop players jumping from 10ft away just to get in the air first.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Welp, Bath have a fun draw for the Champions Cup: Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse.

We'll be prioritising the league then.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

tarbrush posted:

Welp, Bath have a fun draw for the Champions Cup: Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse.

We'll be prioritising the league then.

That's a pool of death isn't it. Wonder if that's the only pool to be all European Champions?

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Full Draw:

quote:

Pool One: Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse, Bath

Pool Two: Castres, Exeter Chiefs, Munster, Gloucester

Pool Three: Saracens, Glasgow Warriors, Lyon, Cardiff Blues

Pool Four: Scarlets, Racing 92, Leicester Tigers, Ulster

Pool Five: Montpellier, Newcastle Falcons, Edinburgh, Toulon

Glasgow have a reasonable group I guess.

Heineken also restored to their rightful place as title sponsors.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I would expect Glasgow to qualify out of that group. Edinburgh are too 'wildcard' to predict in European rugby I've decided.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
None of those groups are completely obvious to predict.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aramoro posted:

I would expect Glasgow to qualify out of that group. Edinburgh are too 'wildcard' to predict in European rugby I've decided.

Agreed, Edinburgh reach their final form in European cups for some reason, then quietly poo poo the bed at domestic level.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Aramoro posted:

On another note the U20 Championship this year was pretty good, some high scoring games as you'd expect and some really interesting prospects. I wonder how long it'll be before we see Louis Carbonel in a senior team French shirt.

Georgia also showing some ability, beating Ireland, Scotland and Japan, and lost a close game to South Africa. Scotland managed to win exactly 1 match, against Ireland, so room for improvement you might say there.

While I was sad my team (New Zealand) didn't win I'm glad it was a team that hadn't before. Especially at a time where French Rugby (the national team not the top 14 competition) has been on a bit of downswing. They are on the traditional top test sides so seeing some young talent come through is always great.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Gonna take me awhile to get used to edinburgh in the champions cup...

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

While I was sad my team (New Zealand) didn't win I'm glad it was a team that hadn't before. Especially at a time where French Rugby (the national team not the top 14 competition) has been on a bit of downswing. They are on the traditional top test sides so seeing some young talent come through is always great.

France deviously broke the unwritten rule of u20 by defending properly

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aramoro posted:

You'd think, but Glasgow have the opposite where they poo poo the bed at European level, but do well domestically.

It's a mystery.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

bigfoot again posted:

Gonna take me awhile to get used to edinburgh in the champions cup...

One time semi-finalists before the new qualification rules came in. ;)

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

So Townsend is really loving about with experimentation this week. Fraser Brown (other than briefly against the US last week and at the 2015 RWC) hasn't played 7 for a long time, having converted to hooker while at Glasgow. Stuart McInally returns to hooker, where he has been excellent for the last 12 months as well as captaining Scotland for the first time.

Centre partnership was rough last week against the US too though the forwards have a bit more bulk and tackling strength this week. I think the experimentation will make this test a loss but at least Gregor will know a lot more about the players at his disposal for the RWC run.

1. Allan Dell (Edinburgh)
2. Stuart McInally CAPTAIN (Edinburgh)
3. Simon Berghan (Edinburgh)
4. Tim Swinson (Glasgow Warriors)
5. Grant Gilchrist VICE CAPTAIN (Edinburgh)
6. Magnus Bradbury (Edinburgh)
7. Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors)
8. David Denton (Leicester Tigers)
9. George Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
10. Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors)
11. Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh)
12. Pete Horne (Glasgow Warriors)
13. Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors)
14. Dougie Fife (Edinburgh)
15. Stuart Hogg VICE CAPTAIN

16. George Turner (Glasgow Warriors)
17. Jamie Bhatti (Glasgow Warriors)
18. Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors)
19. Ben Toolis (Edinburgh)
20. Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh)
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (Scarlets)
22. James Lang (Harlequins)
23. Chris Harris (Newcastle Falcons)

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/danny-cipriani-to-make-first-england-start-in-a-decade/

Cippers!

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Good to see someone finally realise that George Ford isn't worth a place in an international squad.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

here's the Bok squad for what's expected to be the last ever test at Newlands, with a few changes to be "experimental" and the return of a very bad haircut:
15. Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Bulls, 4 caps, 5 pts – 1t)
14. S'Busiso Nkosi (Cell C Sharks, 2, 10 – 2t)
13. Jesse Kriel (Vodacom Bulls, 31, 40 – 8 t)
12. Andre Esterhuizen (Cell C Sharks, 1, 0)
11. Aphiwe Dyantyi (Emirates Lions, 2, 5 – 1t)
10. Elton Jantjies (Emirates Lions, 25, 210 – 2t, 40c 40p)
9. Faf de Klerk (Sale Sharks, England, 13, 5 – 1t)
8. Duane Vermeulen (Unattached, 41, 15 – 3t)
7. Pieter-Steph du Toit (DHL Stormers, 35, 20 – 4t)
6. Siya Kolisi (captain, DHL Stormers, 30, 20 – 4t)
5. Franco Mostert (Emirates Lions, 20, 5 – 1t)
4. RG Snyman (Vodacom Bulls, 2, 0)
3. Frans Malherbe (DHL Stormers, 18, 0)
2. Chiliboy Ralepelle (Cell C Sharks, 24, 5 – 1t)
1. Tendai Mtawarira (Cell C Sharks, 100, 10 – 2t)
Replacements:
16. Schalk Brits (Saracens, England, 10, 5 – 1t)
17. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Stormers, 26, 5 – 1t)
18. Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks, 3, 0)
19. Jean-Luc du Preez (Cell C Sharks, 12, 10 – 2t)
20. Sikhumbuzo Notshe (DHL Stormers, 3, 0)
21. Embrose Papier (Vodacom Bulls, 1, 0)
22. Handrι Pollard (Vodacom Bulls, 28, 246 – 3t, 42c, 46p, 3d)
23. Willie le Roux (Wasps, England, 43, 55 – 11t)

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Jantjies does suffer from a chronic lack of big match temperament, but pairing him up with his old Lions halfback partner might help him. It's really frustrating to watch Jantjies, since there's stacks of talent there which he struggles to tap into because he always freezes up in the spotlight.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

Jantjies does suffer from a chronic lack of big match temperament, but pairing him up with his old Lions halfback partner might help him. It's really frustrating to watch Jantjies, since there's stacks of talent there which he struggles to tap into because he always freezes up in the spotlight.

He has Quade syndrome, but it isn't as funny with him as he isn't a grade-A oval office.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

That was loving insane to not reset the scrum.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Lacy has hosed that right up.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Another loving howler.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

A real shame too as this has been a fantastic match apart from that (and the million forward passes from both sides that haven't been called).

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Unless a player throws the ball like a quarterback, lacy will never call it.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Pretty sure Aaron Smith shoved Lacy out of the way at that last scrum near the line to avoid a reverse repeat incident.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro
Also, the French playing well, All Blacks not as convincing.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

DMac is not bad.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro

The Rabbi T. White posted:

DMac is not bad.

No doubt about that one.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

reac posted:

Also, the French playing well, All Blacks not as convincing.

hmm

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Those short pop passes by mackenzie look forward every time.

reac
Jul 15, 2000

nada corre como un zorro

Happy to eat my words.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
This new thing of blowing it a try then a minute later looking at replays is so amateurish.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Smorgasbord posted:

This new thing of blowing it a try then a minute later looking at replays is so amateurish.

Yeah it's ridiculous.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Vaders Jester posted:

Those short pop passes by mackenzie look forward every time.

Just playing to the ref I guess. Both teams are doing it and he just isn't calling them at all.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

The John Lacy Experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

France are Francing pretty hard just now