Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I can't wait to froth over rugby for month and a bit. World Cup years are seriously the best years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Oh and let's all remember no team has ever won the 3N (now Rugby Championship) and RWC the same year. Well done Wobs.

It is a true honour that the wallabies are the ones to pop this particular cherry then

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Whoever was the leader in 1973 imo

http://youtu.be/emJyEa4z2Ec

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

slothrop posted:

What is the deal with every pundit raving about Folau. I get it, he's good, and he's good without being a oval office. But is he actually the "MOST EXCITING PLAYER / BACK IN RUGBY"? Surely there are more promising contenders? I for one am excited to see Mulder-Scully get more time in a black jersey, the touches he showed in both Bledisloe games outshone whatever Folau had on offer, intercept or not. Nadolo has a huge chance to shine in the group of death AND HE KICK GOALS. Jesse Kriel is surely knocking on the door of a great career, nevermind if Pollard decides that this is his time to shine. There must be plenty of others too, I know I'm ignorant to more of the non RC teams. I know Folau is good, and I even like him (weird), I just can't believe that he is THE MOST EXCITING BACK IN RUGBY RIGHT NOW.

It's because he does the jump thing to catch the ball and usually sticks it. People seem to froth over a player who can do that.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

LordPants posted:

The guardian's article on the hilarious self destruction of the Wallabies is a great read

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/sep/16/a-history-of-the-wallabies-at-the-rugby-world-cup-part-iii

Every mention of the 2003 World Cup is like a dagger to my heart. Child me refuses to believe the year even existed.

Basically we should have won :nsamad:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Rugby World Cup baby!!!

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I'm digging Fiji at the moment.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
That's was a pretty stellar run there

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

rejutka posted:

LEARN TO PASS FIJI JESUS

x1000

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
:japan:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Hngg

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
:japan:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Couldn't get any Tv coverage so I had to listen in the radio but holy shitttttttt

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Bharatrocity posted:

This was a really fine introduction to your weird little sport

e: can someone explain to me in terms of cricket how big an upset this was?

Imagine The Netherlands clean sweeping Australia or England in a test series

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
2 reviews on the same try shouldn't be a thing. Look at grounding and other potential issues the first time and not just when the ref notices it on the big screen

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Italy has conceded 8 penalties already :psyduck:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
This is definitely a northern hemisphere game...

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I have a feeling that like the England Fiji match this score line will be incredibly flattering

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Aramoro posted:

It doesn't help this is one of the worst reffed matches so far.

Penalties galore atm

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Great passage of play by Argentina there!

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Omg Argentina you're doing things to me atm

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Argentina are giving them a run for their money at the moment. Hopefully they can keep the energy up past the 60th minute

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
RICHIE MCCAW YELLOW CARDED OMFG

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
New Zealand :wtf:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Argentina's passing has been atrocious so far

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

bigfoot again posted:

Also Argentina have beento a world cup semifinal people

Yeah but currently they're the Mighty Ducks to New Zealand's Iceland.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
New Zealand :cmon:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

slothrop posted:

I've been reading a bit of reaction to the AB's - Argentina game and it all seems a little off to me. The Pommie press is banging on about how it was very nearly an upset of Japan - South Africa levels but I think that's being very unkind to the Argies. Coming into their match, Japan were ranked 13th, South Africa 3rd. Japan had not won a RWC match since 1991 and then against Zimbabwe. That's 24 years without a win and then they topple the 3rd ranked team, who coming into the event were tipped as a good chance to be finalists (and still could yet).

Meanwhile Argentina are ranked 8th and have beaten the Bokke at home this year, no mean feat that. Never mind they've regularly made the Quarter Finals, and even the Semis, have one of the best front rows in the world and plenty of other outstanding players. I'm not denying it would have been an upset if they had beaten the AB's, seeing as they have never done so in the past, but to put it in the same league as the Japan upset I think is a little spurious. I can really see Argentina going on to do well in this Cup, they have great defense and look like they have the ability to score points too.

Beating the all blacks at any point is always something of an achievement. It certainly wouldn't have been another Japan but it would have made the tournament a whole lot more better. Or at least continued the trend of upsets where you don't expect them.

Anyway it's all academic since no-one can play 80 minutes of full intensity like the all blacks. Must be something in the water

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Finally got around to watching the Wallabies-Fiji match. I was generally happy with the performance. Set pieces off the line out were good. Line outs were good until they weren't . Scrums were fine. Pocock and hooper were a power duo.

Genia getting a start over Phipps was infuriating though

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
That throw in at the line out was about as straight as the stonewall inn

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Australia to cruise to pool A victory

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Who taught Canada to pass :psyduck:

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

goatface posted:

Canada petering out while France remember they're theoretically good is a bit sad.

Theoretically good in the academic sense only

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Georgia will score a try. I can feel it

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
The wallabies look like they can win the World Cup at this point

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Woden posted:

Idk, beating minnows like England doesn't really show if they're any good. Need to see how the Wales game goes to get a real idea. ;)

Next up: find out which ways Wales will poo poo the bed and lose. An injury list longer than a military hospital in 1916? A tip tackle red card? Who knows!

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

tarbrush posted:

So, now that I've recovered from England's humiliation (I've had practice), who should I be supporting for the rest of the tournament?

Go back in your family tree and find the first connection to Wales/Ireland/Scotland/whatever and claim that you always supported them from the start

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
Not World Cup related but James O'Connor has been released from his Queensland Reds contract early on personal welfare grounds and is returning to Europe to play. Guess he must be finding better over there. He hasn't got much of a fanbase in Australia

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
If there's any reason Australia will lose it's going to be their play style clashing with Craig Joubert's interpretation of the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
From what I recall Craig Joubert hands penalties out like candy. May just be the teams he refs though. I still would have preferred someone else