Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

hey thanks OP for the writeup and highlighting the interesting group games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Good on Canada

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

can't believe I missed a Japan - SA upset ;(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

watched the whole of the japan vs sa game, what a thriller. Glad to have started watching rugby recently

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

fallingdownjoe posted:

I was introducing a Canadian colleague to rugby yesterday: her second game ever was the South Africa/Japan game. Jealous of having that for an introduction!

Yeah that's a crazy game to get into rugby on. That said I can't whine myself, I've only seen a couple of games before seeing the Six Nations matches this year on the last matchday, and that was some absolutely crazy rugby with an insane amount of tries (esp in the France game)

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

goddammit I'm at work and don't want to go on sketchy streams ;(

e; if anyone has a stream on a webpage with plausible deniability I'd be much obliged

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Sep 23, 2015

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The Japanese have an excellent maul holy poo poo

yes I found a way to watch this

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

hell of a tackle there

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Japan making a lot of errors but looking better otherwise

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Scotland is lucky Japan has a trash tier schedule before this match.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress the three day schedule

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

you can tell the japanese were too knackered for this :(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

rejutka posted:

Bullshit, that was not a try. He lost it at the end.

e; okay he did hold onto it just barely

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Vaders Jester posted:

Scotland have a shot turn around against the USA, so I fully expect them to fist us after this.

Japan got the short end of the stick here, let's face it

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

What a scrum.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Smorgasbord posted:

NZ are going fine and the people who were predicting 140 points are idiots.

yeah nz won't be playin full gear gently caress the worst team in the tourney, just win comfortably, avoid injuring themselves, maybe let the namibians have some fun too

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

loving awesome!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I think it's cool and good that even the 'minnows' are stepping their game up. Before watching this year's six nations I heard Italy was a whipping boy but they played some okay rugby; Japan obviously, and even Namibia scores a nice try and doesn't get totally wrecked by the best team in the world.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Unimpressed posted:

Nah, that's bullshit. I'm happy about the result for sure, and I don't mind a good grinding game of Rugby where it's tough at the breakdown and it's low scoring. But this wasn't that kind of game. Just lots of penalties, bad execution, rubbish scrums. Name one aspect of the game of Rugby that was played well in this game apart from place kicking. Even the open play kicking was mediocre. Two bad teams.

this, uk rugby is shite

I couldn't watch the match right away, saw the score and thought it'd be fun. instead it was 12 penalties and a drop goal

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

are usa incapable of throwing a ball properly holy poo poo

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

fuuark rugby is maddening me today. first watched the shitpile of an england game and now the US cannot throw the ball. just kill me please

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

jesus christ

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

is nobody gonna do anything right in this loving game

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

so USA loses all lineouts and scots lose all scrums, great.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

goatface posted:

Scrums haven't become an issue this world cup because after two goes the referee flips his mental coin and awards a free kick or penalty.

As someone who only recently started watching rugby, it seems scrums are a contest to force a penalty; especially the northern hemisphere teams seem to operate like this.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ohhhh gooood they can't kick the ball either

e; the only quality thing is the american tackling.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I'm just shaking my head here

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Fair play to USA, they're poo poo but they're putting good tackles in and applying good pressure when they can

Leading by virtue of Being Slightly Less poo poo

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

:(

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Totally loving inexplicable poo poo calls against America

yea

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

As a new watcher, scrums seem really pointless unless it's a bunch of failures like the scottish pack

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Madkal posted:

Scrums are awesome when teams don't use them to try get penalties.

Northern hemisphere teams are bad about that

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Who taught Canada to pass :psyduck:

just like that they do some hella good ones

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

there's the new zealand vs georgia game though :confused:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Smorgasbord posted:

I just wanted to see us look slick v a minor nation that's not too much to ask is it? :negative:

maybe you should be able to hold the ball

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

15 handling errors wtf

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sick try

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Painkiller posted:

Have Japan made a mistake all half?

Scotland's win looking much better now.

One lineout loss I think and one maul penalty; both near Samoa's line

Goromaru is a hell of a kicker.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I think even watching the Scotland - Japan game you could tell that Japan had it for the first half and were looking good, they just got hosed by being tired 50 mins in

e; it's a shame cause I think with a proper schedule Japan would have it in the bag.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Painkiller posted:

Yeah, both SA and Japan would be on 3 wins, Scotland 2.

What if Scotland wins against SA (lol)? Wouldn't we be looking at SA with at most 2 wins, and Japan set for third against a tired USA?

South Africa getting eliminated in the groups would unironically own