Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
gently caress that was brilliant.

But as usual, the 2nd and 3rd tier nations get hosed by the scheduling. How are Japan meant to recover by Wednesday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

After the Tier 2 and 3 sides got hosed by scheduling 4 years ago, the Tier 1 sides volunteered to take on the same scheduling to make the playing field a little more level.

Ah fair enough, I saw Japan's schedule and just assumed it was still the same.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

I wonder how long the Argentinian pack can last at this pace. They're doing an awful lot in both attack and defence.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Aramoro posted:

I thought the break down had been pretty well reffed so far, they're really hammering the neck crank but they should be. The only really bad one has been Joubert not really knowing the rules of a maul so far.

Yeah the breakdown reffing has been good, particularly the focus on players going off their feet. I'm not happy about mauls from lineouts though. How often do you see the ball passed to the back of the maul instead of players forming in front of the ball carrier, both at the start and as the maul progresses? It's such bullshit and it never gets called. There's nothing inherently wrong with mauls, but they need to clamp down on the attacking side so that we can separate the great packs from the mediocre.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Excellent party pooping performance by Scotland.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

I thought the throw to front of the lineout suggested England didn't really have a clue what to do. The All Blacks have a few set plays for these situations (remember Tony Woodcock against France?), Japan had a nice one against Scotland, but England went for a bog standard maul. Surely this is the situation you pull out your trick play?

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Sneaky Cudmore

http://zippy.gfycat.com/TiredIncomparableBeardedcollie.webm

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Have Japan made a mistake all half?

Scotland's win looking much better now.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

butros posted:

Does anyone have a pool B permutation worked out? Is it if Scotland lose their next two, and Japan and SA win their next two then it's SA and JApan through?

Yeah, both SA and Japan would be on 3 wins, Scotland 2.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

I've only just noticed that Japan don't offload. Ever. No wonder the clear outs are so good if the supporting players don't have to look for the offload. It makes sense though, establishing new offside lines repeatedly will catch a lot of teams out. Samoa certainly haven't been able to cope, they've had 4 or 5 offside penalties.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Even when South Africa gently caress up it ends up hurting Scotland.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Cheerio England.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

When it rains it pours....

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/story/_...efeat-australia

quote:

World Rugby is investigating England's coaching staff for a breach of rules during Saturday's defeat to Australia.

It is understood the pair spoke to match officials in the tunnel at Twickenham as the teams left the field for the half-time break, with England trailing 17-3 in a match they would go on to lose 33-13, ensuring an early exit from the World Cup.

Rugby's governing body say they are looking into an "alleged breach of the match-day communications protocol between match officials and team members or union officials during the Rugby World Cup 2015 Pool A match between England and Australia at Twickenham on 3 October".

The statement added: "The protocol prohibits certain conduct on match days including coaches approaching match officials during a match or at halftime during a match."

It is believed there is CCTV footage available of the position in the tunnel where the alleged incident took place and this may be used as part of any investigation. Approaching match officials in such circumstances is strictly outlawed.

lol

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

The Clit Avoider posted:

Cipriani???! Haskell?? :lol::lol::lol: I remember him recently bumbling around super rugby like some twerp fresh out a gym who didn't have a clue where to put his head in, what/where/when the breakdown was, and was genuinely afraid of taking a hit. Let's not even talk about his supposed ball skills. The man's a conditioning coach, not a rugby player

Nothing makes a player world class like non selection.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

Both Grey and Ford have been given a three week ban. Four weeks plus an extra week to "discourage this kind of foul play" and then a two week reduction for remorse and good records.

Not a surprise and probably the right call but the disparity in lengths of ban is a loving joke.

The whole citing/ban system is bullshit. Players can be cited under different laws for similar actions, and then different panels give out different ban lengths for the same citations.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

It's cool dude, I imagine a lot of people are angry/disappointed with the way their teams are playing just now (Ospreys, Leinster and Glasgow especially) due to the World Cup. I'm just hoping that Edinburgh are able to keep some kind of form when the Scotland guys get back and they're not just living off weakened teams just now.

The positive thing for Edinburgh is that there is so much quality in the forwards now. A lot of good players were missing last night but they still put out a pack with 2 Super Rugby finalists in it.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

that triangle formation they do the haka in now sucks.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

thanks for coming france

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Worse than the offside decision was Joubert not seeing Drew Mitchell's late hit on Hogg a minute before that. That would have been a penalty for Scotland where the ball landed in the Australian half. Can't believe he didn't see it or that the TMO, so vocal in the first half was suddenly tongue tied. I can't believe Joubert ran off the pitch at the whistle. At least have the guts to shake the player's hands and look them in the eye.

Vamos Los Pumas!

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 18, 2015

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Blue 20 knocks-on. Blue 18 plays the ball, preventing Yellow from gaining advantage.When a player knocks-on and an offside team-mate next plays the ball, the offside player is liable to sanction if playing the ball prevented an opponent from gaining an advantage. The sanction is a penalty kick.

11.3 Being put onside by opponents
In general play, there are three ways by which an offside player can be put onside by an action of the opposing team. These three ways do not apply to a player who is offside under the 10-Metre Law.
(a) Runs 5 metres with ball. When an opponent carrying the ball runs 5 metres, the offside player is put onside.
(b) Kicks or passes. When an opponent kicks or passes the ball, the offside player is put onside.
(c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside.

Blue 20 plays the ball, Yellow 21 intentionally touches the ball, therefore Blue 18 is onside again.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Mr Chips posted:

It didn't help that a few years back refs were pinging the second man in for 'not coming through the gate', despite there being no ruck formed. I got my only legit yellow card ever from arguing about that with the ref

That's the interpretation now. At a tackle, there's no offside line for the tackler, and there's no offside line to prevent outside defenders from moving up, but any non-tacklers trying to pick up the ball or start a ruck have to come through the gate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLqjLbnUXk4

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Regan King and his son played for the Scarlets today. That's pretty cool.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

If the rumours about the RFU's involvement in Bath bringing Burgess over from League are true then this could be the start of a real shitshow.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

stavros880 posted:

Gareth Davies, Rhys patchell, Scott Williams, Johnathon Davies, George north, Liam Williams and Leigh halfpenny. Can't see that back line doing much :aaa:

With DTH Van der Merwe and Regan King (even at 35 he's still incredible) kicking around too.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Jones had like 3 months with Japan before the RWC to whip them into shape, and that allowed Japan to play within a very structured yet high tempo style. He said he liked Japanese players because they were robots. He's going to have none of that with England.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

The TMO shouldn't be allowed to overturn tries it they're sufficiently awesome. https://streamable.com/kjsg

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

Edinburgh beat Glasgow today while playing some pretty nice rugby at times. I expect them to play some more nice, expansive rugby next week in the second leg of the 1872 cup and then return to being loving terrible in the attack for the rest of the season.

Our defence is pretty good these days too. Tom Brown's gonna have to find a new tailor so he can fit Taqele Naiyaravoro in his pocket.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

Taqele has been alright so far, sometimes goes missing but he dominated the Euro game against Scarlets. Against Edinburgh he wasn't given any space at all (Edinburgh's defence is really good this season).

Glasgow don't seem to know quite what to do with him or how best to get him into the game. He only dominated against the Scarlets because they kept kicking down his throat. It's weird since Townsend is usually good at using unique players (e.g. Nakarawa), but Glasgow just treat him as an orthodox winger.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

The 2nd Glasgow vs Edinburgh game this weekend is being moved to Murrayfield because Scoutston looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6FiX7uC-eo

If the rain keeps coming Glasgow are going to struggle to fit in all their fixtures. They've already missed one due to rain and one due to the Paris attacks.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Tyma posted:

It looks promising on paper, but there's a lot of inexperience there, and when it comes to closing out games or keeping discipline under pressure, I don't think Finn Russell and Greig Laidlaw are the calm and experienced leaders those young forwards need to look upto. Laidlaw is usually the first to lose the plot :{

I think it's going to be another year of neutrals trying to get behind them, for that classic rugby moment of "OH poo poo SCOTLAND ARE FINALLY GOING TO BEAT THIS TEAM I HAT.. oh" :{

I can't say I've ever thought of Laidlaw as a hot head. If anything he's too cool and methodical in his play. Sometimes you want a bit more chaos from a 9.

Russell can be a good leader for Scotland because he's uniquely self-confident among the squad. He actually believes he is good, even when he makes mistakes or the team is losing. It's very un-Scottish.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Aaron Donald at loosehead prop would be pretty sweet I reckon.

sweek0 posted:

Ello! I am new to your sport, having grown up in a country that doesn't play this game and mostly being a football fan. I'm now dating someone who's REALLY into rugby and a Quins season ticket holder, and she's going to take me along to a game or two. I really like rugby, I just didn't grow up with it. I watched a 1 hour video on the rules and I've watched 2 live matches so far. Is there an amazing game that I should absolutely watch on Youtube or anything?

I think I'm actually more interested in league versus international games, because I tend to prefer the fact that it's smaller and more local, and I'm actually to go to these games on a semi regular basis for much less money.

This isn't a British fixture but it was probably the best game of 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LuUzH1EY8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCT696FcswQ

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Scotland U-20's had never beaten England U-20's...until tonight. 24-6. Utterly thrashed them. England had a massively dominant scrum but Scotland were so much better around the park.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Aramoro posted:

To be fair his alternative was Harmonia

Yeah there's nobody in the Italian team who you'd back to drop the goal. Might as well let Parisse have a go. France didn't seem to be charging him down.

Such a shame Canna went off.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 6, 2016

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Frustrating from Scotland, lacked composure in attack and England tackled much better than us.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 6, 2016

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Sexton had another head knock today. I hope he retires before his brain ends up like Swiss cheese.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Vaders Jester posted:

The only upside for Scotland at the moment is that they probably can't put in a worse performance than Saturday though saying that, they may just take it as a challenge to do just that.

There's been plenty worse performances from Scotland.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/countries/scotland/six-nations-analysis-three-key-areas-from-england-15-9-scotland-53954

Interesting article on England's tactics from the guy who did analysis on Scotland for Eddie Jones. That video of all the poorly fielded high kicks is depressing viewing.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 9, 2016

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

RIP Hurricanes you had one amazing season where you had some all time great players playing together tearing apart the league but you couldn't win the final and now you're bad.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

Cheetahs vs Jaguares game has been nuts. The pace and ambition of Super Rugby is unbelievable sometimes.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

On the first day of Super Rugby 3 games had more than 60 points scored and these loving assholes serve up this shitfest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Dunno, but it is rather endearing.

And holy poo poo that poor Crusaders player twitching on the ground. :cripes:

Yeah...that wasn't good.