Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
France were extremely poor today, didn't turn up at all... Hard to judge Ireland on that one, will have to wait until next week to see what they are made of.

ABs will never lose to this French team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
This is just disgraceful stuff from the French

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

DickEmery posted:

I'm slightly glad Wales lost after seeing this NZ display.

You can't compare Wales and their performance today to this pathetic French effort

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

bigfoot again posted:

Joubert robbed the Scots but he also let WP Nel cheat his way through the game so swings and roundabouts

This is true, the scrum calls went Scotland's way all day long.

I can't believe people are complaining about Barnes, he was fine. Garces is a terrible ref.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

I think it was Joubert's arrogance in not asking the TMO that was the worst part, as if he had super robot ref eyes and saw it all flawlessly in real time.

The TMO can be used only in the following circumstances:

-Determining the grounding of the ball in-goal for a try or touchdown and/or whether players were in touch or touch in goal before grounding
-Determining whether a kick at goal has been successful
-Confirm if an infringement has occurred in the build-up to a try or prevention of a try (infringement must be within two phases of the try or touchdown)
-Considering acts of possible foul play

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Here are the official rules: http://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/TMO_Protocol_Aug_14_EN.pdf

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

DickEmery posted:

Laws.

6. (a) The ball shall be put into the scrum from the Referee’s side by holding it in a horizontal position with a point in each hand and rolling it along the ground into the tunnel formed by the opposing front row forwards.

Edit : so as not to be obtuse. The Laws of the game are routinely ignored by referees in order to make it a fair contest. If Joubert had gone to the TMO to check the game-deciding decision there is not a person in the game who would have criticised him. In not going to the TMO he allowed an incorrect decision to decide the outcome of a game which is scandalous in my view.

I actually agree with you there to some extent. I think the protocols in this case resulted in an incorrect decision to remain standing. This needs to somehow be corrected without the game being further reliant on the TMO, which has been something of an issue...

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

There's a certain level of subjectivity to officiating rugby, it's so complex and offences occur all the time it's ridiculously hard to get 100% of the calls tight 100% of the time.

We all know there are things that don't get called when they happen for the sake of the game (feeding the scrums, a poo poo load of ruck offenses and things like truck and trailer go unpunished regularly enough so games aren't stopping all the time or because WR has decided they aren't big enough offenses for whatever reason) but I can see how an outcome altering missed call in the last 45 seconds of a QF is a lot harder to dismiss for the people involved.

WR probably felt like they had to comment considering the whole stadium saw the slo mo replay of Phipps touching the ball and Joubert panicked and ran off at the end but they would've been better staying quiet and letting the whole thing die down a bit. I mean Matt Dawson tweeted that Joubert should never officiate again right after the game, I doubt he'd say that today.

I think the TMO was used really well after the group stages and welcome it's use, we really need to think of ways of making the referee's time easier and that starts with giving them the confidence and ability to take a second look when needed. Joubert knows the laws, he just didn't know what he saw. When the stakes are as high as they were on Sunday there's going to be a reaction, I just hope WR can use it to make meaningful changes instead of a witch hunt of a perfectly acceptable official.

Yea good post this... Spot on

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Scapegoat posted:

Surprised at all the Wallaby hate, we aren't spoilt like the All Blacks, dirty like the Boks or dull like the English team.

The Boks haven't been dirty for a number of years now

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

emjayo posted:

That jaapie midfield is going to be something special in the next few years.

Yes they looked very dangerous in the first quarter of the game... It's a shame they aren't given more chance to attack.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
The ref was a non-issue in this game... Pass wasn't forward and none of the penalty calls were scandalous.

The Springboks are clearly a decent team but they need to develop their attack if they want to start winning with greater consistency. Also their uncharacteristically shaky line-out and kicking out of hand put themselves under pressure. Credit must be given for putting in a admirable World Cup effort after that shocking start.

All Blacks's applied all the pressure in this game and were full credit for the win. It was not as flashy as last week's but they controlled large sections of the game well and lived in the SA half of the field. Solid victory really.

The sportsmanship shown by SBW on Jessie Kriel was amazing to see too.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Owens missing a few key calls there leading up to the try, not his best game.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Regardless it was inevitable that the all blacks would get through. I can only hope the wallabies can eek in a performance and make it interesting in the second half.

Can't argue with that... Australia haven't been at their best and ABs deserve to be ahead.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
We can all agree there is some give and take that teams experience with the refs, but incredbily bad calls like the Farrell “tackle” today need to be properly addressed by World Rugby... Frustrating for any rugby fan to see

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Some good humour from the Boks here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAuXB7h2Ps

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Lawes looked offside for the charge down, not sure what these English commentators are on about

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Vaders Jester posted:

What should be coming to them is a penalty, possibly a yellow card but the refs are shite at spotting it, what's not acceptable is someone getting headbutted and World Rugby saying "nah, that's totally fine mate, play on." Get hosed with that.

This is largely how the issued used to be resolved on field in the past, so it’s not exactly the greatest crime the game has ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
Well its good for the tournament that both the Boks and Wallabies are finding some form... Competition looking rather open at the moment, or at least more open than usual.