Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Sign me up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

See you guys next Saturday.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Can I get in the vicinity of C6?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

This is already shaping up to be a Chamaz-ing game!

##vote merk

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh hey merk, we're neighbors!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Seeing that map makes me wonder how viable a final fantasy tactics style Mafia game would work out. Might be fun for a Soldiers game...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

merk posted:

I'm town. Let's all agree on that.

Hey merk guess what, I'm town too! Let's tag team some scum this game. :page3:

##unvote

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

Wait a second. Calling what I did a case is laughable. I made a horrible vote possibly. Let's take a look at what you are calling a case for a moment:

So, you are twisting and misrepresenting what happened here. And doing so malevolently.

##unvote
##vote Kashuno

This post makes you look worse, because your defense is "hahaha, you gave me too much credit for what was actually a lovely vote!!"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

Maybe it is semantics, but it is about what the goal of your post was.

By calling my post a case, you are giving it more weight than it should have. It may be semantics, but words have meanings.

A vote + reason for voting = a case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I got prodded too. Uhh, give me some time to get some coffee in me, and I'll give everything another look. Mostly what I've seen is a lot of overblown nothing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Okay I read over TMM and I don't really see him as scum. Having seen him as scum in the last game I played, most of his posts were completely empty word dumps with no actual content in them. His one big reads post felt pretty genuine to me and had some good stuff in it, and I like how he has defended his lurker callouts. I do think he could say twice as much in half the words if he put his mind to it, nobody wants to read eight-paragraph posts or posts with four quotes in them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I've been debating whether I want to vote Grandicap, the reason I haven't yet is because I don't think scum would have stuck around defending the semantics of "case" for so long. Points against him for backing down very self-consciously, and personally I don't like anyone for town who characterizes their own play as scummy or scummy-looking.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Honestly outside of Grandicap my suspicions fall off pretty hard. I don't see Kashuno's case on MiR and even he didn't keep the case going on for long. BottleKnight's vote on TMM was a pretty easy one to make, but was it a scummy vote?? I'm not sure. I don't find Kashuno especially scummy either. Pretty much everyone else has left little to no distinguishing impression on me.

So, might as well ##vote Grandicap while I see if I can find a better home for my vote.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

What do you think in particular of the fact that he's done lurker callouts on D1 before, to fake content as scum, and didn't have this lurkers-are-killing-our-community excuse? There's a nuance to my argument that him shouting over and over again about how bad lurkers are doesn't account for. I find the way that he defended his callouts predictable.

So do you think Grandi as scum would go for something like that out of the gate? That's the big thing I can't wrap my head around, and why I probably wouldn't vote him today again at all.

Just because he did a lurker callout as scum in a game doesn't mean he has to be scum if he does the same thing again. Townies call out lurkers all the time.

As for Grandicap, I'm not a fan of the "would have been smarter/known better as scum" line because it's WIFOM. Scum can make mistakes or bad plays. I get suspicious of players who self-describe their own play as scummy; town players should be confident enough in their play to not have that view.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

No thanks. How about you give some opinions on someone other than me.

And I will absolutely flip town.

BTW in general telling people you're town and you will flip town etc. over and over is only going to make people more suspicious of you. Here's a hint why: all of us are claiming that we are town and that we will flip town. Reminding us of that is not only insulting our intelligence (assuming we'd think you were claiming anything else), it's just plain annoying because we already know you're claiming to be town.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Honestly, I understand that but I'm also a bit of a nose tweaker and enjoy knowing that it gets under people's skin. I'm willing to take the heat from it.

Plus it's funny when I do end up flipping. :)

People aren't going to feel bad at all about lynching you, no matter how you flip, if this is your attitude.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

I've never asked anyone to feel bad about lynching me, regardless of my flip.

I needle people because it gets reactions and as the saying goes: if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

You're asking people to preemptively feel bad about your flip when you tell them you're going to flip town. What else would you be talking about with "it's funny after I flip?"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Meh I think the TMMadman lynch isn't a very good one, feels a lot like many other lynches I've seen where a townie gets caught off-balance early and never really recovers while votes slowly trickle their way over.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Hey, I'm more than willing to put my vote back on ANarc, but clearly I got resistance to it earlier. So why exactly should I be pushing it?

Come on people, think straight for once.

You should have been voting Grandicap or someone else you could convince people to vote for that wasn't you. You're -1 so it's a little too late now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Once again, how is Asiina's only two reads that I am town and Kash is scum?

Does nobody really want to explore that?

Not with the deadline in two hours.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Right now, I think the worst votes on me are BK who is basing it on a single meta point and then excused himself from the game.

And then SSV is probably the next worst right now. He is playing the same type of game as his Pearl game, but he isn't getting called out as scum by BK.

Not too sure about LJ or PoP. They are accusing me of moving from lurker to someone I think is scum but just look at how much resistance I got trying to lynch a lurking ANarc, so how am I supposed to keep pushing it even with her last three posts? Especially when I've stated that I am still more than willing to vote ANarc.

You come off as super defensive in every post, even in this one replying to me saying I don't think you are a good lynch.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TMMadman posted:

Sorry, I'm just trying to put my thoughts out there in case I get lynched and knew I was at -1, so I didn't have time for tone editing.

You're playing like scum: overworried about what people are thinking of you. Even in this post. "Tone editing" isn't something townies should be worried about, the whole point of playing town is that you can post honestly and take comfort in that knowledge.

I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt this game but it's super hard when you make posts like this which indicate to me your priorities and concerns are more about how you can avoid looking suspicious than about how you can get a scum flip.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

TNL did you ever play in a game with Arkane? I forget if you were in Harry Potter 4. TMM reminds me a lot of Arkane.

##unvote
##vote Grandi

I don't think I have ever played with Arkane.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Keeping my vote on Grandicap, tracker claim doesn't do anything for me and is a reasonably common scum role anyway.

Case on Grandicap:
- awkward early vote on Pinterest Mom that he tries to characterize as a "joke" when he gets heat for it (no discernable joke in his vote)
- calls his vote terrible and his plays scummy-looking, suggesting a guilty conscience
- tried to spin suspicion back against the person who voted him with the argument of "you thought my early suspicion wasn't terrible!"

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ljtrigirl posted:

Yes, it is. His response read like he felt awkward for engaging early. Like he jumped in in a way that people didn't like and didn't know how to fit in.

Being awkward in joke phase isn't a town tell...

Also calling yourself terrible/scummy isn't a town tell either.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

ljtrigirl posted:

But he was trying to jump in. It's not like he was awkward while trying to just chill. He was trying to dive in.

Yeah, no poo poo. You're saying this as if scum don't do this...?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap is not a new player.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Votefinder has Grandicap at 159 games played on this site.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

I agree it isn't a town tell. But is it a scum tell? I don't think it is.

Which one are you asking me about?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

The selfawareness moreso than the awkwardness in my opinion.

This one is super easy. Townies win on lynching scum, not on getting lynched. Scum win on not getting lynched. Their game is inherently about image control; if scum have a bad image, they get lynched. Self-awareness indicates you are concerned about how people view your play to the point that you're letting it influence your play, which is a universal scum trait.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##unvote ##vote Asiina vote consolidation, I think the case is ok if a bit of a shot in the dark.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah wow I don't know what happened with that lynch. Last minute swing based on no real case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Gee guys, lynching some guy last-minute because of ??? has really helped our discussion pick up!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Grandicap posted:

I feel like the case on Asiina is the absence of something rather than the presence of something. I am not a fan of cases like that. You need more than a day of sample size to draw conclusions from the absence of meaningful content.

I am a fan of the MiR vote. I will switch there because Kash seems to be not an option because apparently everyone is dumb.

##unvote
##vote MiR

Reasonless vote, never mentioned MiR before this post.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

##vote mir

Going to bed so hope there's no last minute changes

Reasonless vote, avoids voting Asiina because "the votes look bad."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm assuming nobody else has been posting because you're all loving embarrassed about making that awful lynch happen.

##vote Grandicap

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

TNL I didn't not vote asiina because "the votes on her looked bad" but because I didn't see the case on her and a ton of people had jumped on the bandwagon without any real thought
As opposed to MiR who had a great case on him?

How was a vote on him better than a vote on Asiina?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##unvote ##vote Anonymous Narcotics

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

The thing that makes me reluctant to vote for Asiina is the fact that she fought against the TMM lynch when joining in would have contributed to a lynch that could have easily been defended because of how TMM tends to get under people's skin.

WIFOM, could easily have been apprehensive about dropping a bandwagon vote on the #1 guy, especially if you know in advance he's going to flip town.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

merk posted:

TNL, what do you think of Asiina?

Probably scum and it would explain the MiR flip. What do you think of ANarc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##unvote ##vote Asiina

• Locked thread