Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Interesting design decision here. It certainly saves on spritework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, right, security by imputed suicide.

I hope this is the first year of this experiment, otherwise these people should have learned right now there is nothing so suicidal a teenager won't try it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, so it's kind of like the pilot for the Twilight Zone. Except they didn't leave around nearly enough talking mannequins.

Still, though, it doesn't seem that you lose a lot if you just skip it entirely.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I do like that we've got kind of a mix of teachers not wanting us and us not wanting them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also unlike good slice-of-life games (Legend of Mana) they keep going over the same things. Ant still gets in over his head, Lena still loves food, Ellie is the only one with any sense and Senia is still pretty new (but is turning out to be more like Lena than Ellie.)

The only new thing here is introducing Layla.

So what you're saying is we need a crooked merchant and a giant talking teapot?

I mean, even if that's not what you're saying, it's what I'm saying.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, all the arts have gone... magical? Why even bother going to a magic school, then?

I suppose the part where they've also all gone out of control is a good enough reason.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, I see, it was evil. Evil got into the art and turned it to nefarious ends.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope we've actually met a serious game-long threat in the Vile Tribe and not just a one-man Team Rocket operation. He doesn't seem to have got blasted off again yet, which is encouraging.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game actually does have equipment, right? So you're also down whatever money you spent on this incidental character.

I mean, she's off chasing her dreams, so more power to her, but it sure puts us in a heck of a spot.

Trying to think of other RPGs where this has happened, and, I mean, Dragon Quest IV had guest party members but you couldn't mess with their inventory at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Man, college really changed Temmie.

Seriously, though, it seems a bit late in the game to get a traditional mentor character, though the stretch of game he's present for is still nice and small.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So it seems like the problem here is that the game isn't strong enough on its own to make a dungeon crawl interesting, which puts the plot in position to do all the heavy lifting.

...which is kind of a lot to ask from those bitty little text boxes.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Camel Pimp posted:

Most people think time is like a river that flows swift and sure in one direction. But I have seen the face of time, and I can tell you: they are wrong. Time is an ocean in a storm.

Wait, that's not how it happened.

Given how aggressively they're foreshadowing stupid time bullshit, I can only imagine it's not actually going to be relevant at all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, I'll be. That was pretty good combat-linked storytelling for a portable game.

Of course, it was also good when FFL2 did it on the Gameboy, but you can't have all that and originality too, I suppose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So let me guess, the Demon Castle is impregnable to all means short of just walking through the drat doors?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose when all you've got is that battle engine you can't really have much of an impressive final boss.

If that is what just happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Honestly after the credits is the best place for that Professor Glen scene.. If they drop that on you in the middle of the game you'll feel like you just got bullshitted. Afterwards, when it doesn't matter to you anymore because you're not in control of anybody involved, it's much lower-impact.

• Locked thread