Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca
HP: 18/18 | Armor: 2 | Level: 3 | XP: 3/10 | Lead The Flock 2/3

quote:

"Well, he's certainly not been unfriendly so far. Or that hostile. Heck, we might have even been able to talk to him properly. Still might... agh. I really don't want to follow him. But some part of me really wants to. He seems to know things, has connections." Cog chewed her lip uncertainly. Glancing back to the still open door.

-Do you have something he desperately needs to offer? If not, I wouldn't seek him out again.

-...or if you have an idea for subduing him without anyone noticing. I suspect this whole town will fight on his behalf if he just gives the signal.

-I'm pretty sure I saw something bigger than a dogman on those streets.
Dennis adds.

quote:

"Let's burn the place down?"

-I think that would count as giving the signal. Besides, the whole town is soaking wet already.

Luca claps his hands together.

-Anyhow we've made it into Myrk, and no one even died in the process. That's step one taken care of. For a moment I was worried for our companions but apparently they're here as well.
Truth be told Luca really never was worried for them. The only one that had even made an impression on him was Willard, the hotheaded youngster from the last town. When he heard the group was headed for Myrk he just drowned everyone in his teary lifestory and begged to be taken along so he could save his kidnapped little brother.

-Step two however... I for one still intend to find The Lich. It's the only reason I'm here.
Luca looks over each person in the room.
-But I wonder, does the same really hold for you?

Desiderio might say he's here because of that fluke of a bet, but he probably came just because people said it was dangerous. Sammi wanted to know what the Monsters are up to, but Neram? Is he here just because Sammi is? Luca really wasn't sure which one was following the other.

But The Lich, from what the count said he might be even worse to deal with in person. The difference being that Luca believes he has something The Lich could be swayed with, carefully guarded on his person. The object's story began a year ago in East Haven. The local tollmen had confiscated something whose worth they didn't have a clue of. An entire crate of ground Yeirban root. The thing must have had travelled half across the world to end up there. Luca had almost bartered the spice to an empire official at the Sister's Convent, but thankfully ended up holding onto all of it. It would come useful given what Luca knew of The Lich. His info might have come from not entirely reliable sources, but more than one of them claimed that The Lich didn't like facing the world sober. It didn't take long for a plan to be born. Alcohol plus Yeirban powder equals Deathmuck, perhaps the strongest soporific in history. Of course the method for brewing it was lost a long, long time ago when the family responsible for the recipe destroyed itself through Deathmuck abuse. (Any use of Deathmuck is abuse.) It took some shenanigans but long story short, in Luca's hands is a bottle of Deathmuck. Probably the first one to exist in centuries. If The Lich really is desperate for ways to forget then this would be one of the only ones it couldn't have come across in recent history.

Only, Luca isn't really that sure if that's the case.
Spout Lore, Lich's alcoholism: 2d6+3 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Will probably update tonight but:
I messed up. I was trying to be all suspenseful and so I wasn't as detailed as I should've been. No one else was traveling with you the 'rest of your group' are just some bandits sent after you by the guy that Sammi pissed off back in Golar Han (the village you can never go back to).
We can go forward with whatever you guys want. :shobon:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Desiderio of the Antipodes!
HP: 22/22 | Armor: 2 | XP: 2/10 | Handsome

"The Count is the Lich," said Desiderio uncertainly, wiping the puke-tears from his eyes. "Isn't that what he just said?"

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick / COG
HP: 23/23 | XP 1/11 | Imagination: 2
Tags: Close, Forceful

"He is." Cog confirmed. "Which means we should be all the more wary of him. I've never felt anything like his prescience before. I don't think its even possible to 'subdue' him. How do you subdue an immortal? It just becomes a battle of trying to cut down a mountain with a spoon. It's going to take forever and you'll die before you finish. Hell, I doubt even Rory could kill him. Not that he wouldn't love to try!" She shook her head. "He knows that. So why the cat and mouse? Why the theatrics?"

Cog glances at Luca "I doubt our 'companions' will be the friendly villagers and more that angry band of mountain bandits, who's leader Sammi kicked in his... you know." Cog turned away, if only to hide the sudden heat on her cheeks. It seemed that she too was just as prone to such symptoms as Sammi when it came to the birds and the bees, or, for this matter, dicks. She coughed. "Look if we're going to find the Lich and still talking with it, we need to move now. And Luca, please, in the name of the gods, DO NOT IMPLY, INFER, STATE, OR CONFESS ANY DESIRE OR PLAN TO ATTACK, SUBDUE, CAPTURE, OR KILL the Lich. Gods only knows we've got enough god entities that want us dead. Lets not add something new to the list."

Cog starts walking towards the door to head deeper into the keep. She needed answers from Lich. He knew what was going on. Maybe he could answer the questions which burned inside her.

Why was I created, and what is the North Prime's plans for me?
What interest do the Gods have in me?
Are there other Primes?
How would I talk to Father, without getting captured and everyone else killed?

She just hoped she wasn't making a massive mistake and, as Lich said earlier, being the Fly welcomed to the spiders nest.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Neram Katikeram
HP: 17/17 | Armor: 1/1 | Load 2/7 | XP: 1/10 | Tick Tock

"I am not so certain that the Count and Lich are necessarily the same person - but it might well be complicated, we have not seen the 'count' visibly talk as the Lich, there could be some unseen power at work and the Count is some sort of aspect or servant or figment or... something else, or it could just be ridiculous dramatics to keep us at bay. Still, liches are practitioners of magic who have performed forbidden rituals in order to attain undeath - they are almost universally paranoid and seek to retain their eternal status no matter what, there could be several reasons why he has not tried to strike us down. If he is anywhere remotely competent then he knows things, and with that in mind he likely does not welcome our presence, given our collective capabilities there are likely many uncertainties that might worry such a being. However it might all just be a trap for Cog, since it seems that some Monstrous puissance is at work. Hmm..." remarked Neram, his voice creaking with the march of ages, his tone even, calm, and calculating - as though he sees this as another puzzle, or a riddle. His grey eyes flickered around the dim room as he considered the possibilities, and what he knew of such threats. Most spellcasters have some inkling as to the existence of liches, but beyond that such knowledge is generally forbidden - lest the desperate try to repeat such mistakes.

But surely Neram, with his aeons of knowledge collected here and there may have come across more concrete details?

Spout Lore (Int): 2d6+3 10

What does Neram know of liches (especially their weaknesses) beyond the plainly obvious?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

Luca
Spout Lore: The Count's love of drink is widely known-at least widely among the few who've even heard of him-though if he is actually the Lich, it won't have any particular effect on him.

Sammi
Whether you're going to try following the Count or walk outside, give me a Defy Danger +WIS.

Neram
For those with advanced magical knowledge, Liches aren't terribly complicated.
The main mechanism for Lichdom is via Necromancy (the magical manipulation of death and dead things). Lichdom is nothing more than an extremely advanced necromantic practice wherein they capture their own 'Death' and imprison it (Why/How this works is the part that nobody really knows unless they actually dedicate themselves to studying necromancy) in one or more objects known as Phylacteries. A Phylactery is any kind of mundane physical object important to the Lich, and they go to incredible lengths to protect them.
Liches are extremely dangerous mages that can be taken out with luck and effort, but unless you find and destroy their Phylacteries, they always come back.
See Also: notes on immortality in OOC thread.

Desi
While you were coughing up wine, and declaring your thoughts loudly into the entry hall, you notice a small object laying on the floor near your boot. You kneel down and nonchalantly pretend to adjust your boot while palming it. What have you got in your hand?

So your options are clear:
Will you leave Myrk and continue your journey?

Or will you delve deeper into Myrkeep in search of the Lich that Luca seems to have gravely embarrassed/enraged and who has promised bloody vengeance should he see any of you again.?

What do you all do?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Defy Danger +WIS: 2d6+0 11

- - -

Sammi Cubrick / COG

"Going in there would be ridiculous. Place could be a death trap. But I can send a bunch of drones in, we should be able to speak through them... well. I'll be able to speak through them anyway. At least that way we can all stay reasonably safe. Just need the time to make them."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
Neram Katikeram

"This does indeed seem to be a terrible idea. We would be at a disadvantage here. Not to mention if you're fighting a lich you'll need to find their phylactery or phylacteries, or you'll never win. Who knows what it might look like. Although I find lichdom incredibly distasteful, and think that by association of liches existing at all it reflects badly on any and all practitioners of the magical arts - however I do not recommend, nor would I prefer to fight one unless I had no reasonable alternative. Not that I am jumping to the Lich's defence, but what atrocities have they committed?" spoke Neram, his motions particularly still as he regarded the situation and the possible dangers that might involve them, his voice tinged with a trace of impatience for once - a rare event.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Waiting on Desi and or Luca to weigh in on staying or going. reminder: splitting the party is an option, but if that happens it might be a 'thing' for awhile.
If no one responds by approx. this time tomorrow, I'll move forward with what we have. And don't feel bad if you can't post, irl stuff always takes precedence, you can jump in any time, I just want to keep momentum up. :buddy:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Desiderio frowned. He didn't much care for frowining- it gave one wrinkles, and he was not the saturnine, brooding type. It went against all his rules of style.

However, there was the matter of what he picked up. He looked down into his palm at where the paper was tucked, artfully folded delicately in on itself.

It was a dragon, the twin to the one in his father's book.

The difference was, this one had his name on it, written in the same silver ink that gleamed from the pages of the cryptic volume.

Surreptitiously, he unfolded it, and blanched at what he read.

What does it say?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

Cog
Neram's warning gives you pause just outside the door the Count left through, which is thankfully enough time for you to notice it. A slight flicker, the barest hint of Wyrd, and then the illusion breaks. It's only through your connection to the Wyrd that even you can see it, but these shadows, while behaving naturally, are almost pure Wyrd, woven through the dark in such a way as to hide itself. If you'd walked through this door, you'd have stepped into a patch of pure Wyrd fueled shadow, you're no push over, but this "person" very clearly has the home field advantage. And just beyond the wall of shadow, you can feel...he's standing right there!
Fly, meet Spider.

Desi
As you unfold the paper, the silvered writing glows brighter and brighter, blinding you and surrounding you in whiteness and silence.

Neram
The hour grows long. Given your...sensitivities, this can be particularly grating.
What possible opportunity are we missing by standing here being indecisive?
And how do you react to the sudden feeling of another slight whisper of time manipulation and noticing the disappearance of Desi?

What do you (except Desi) Do?

Desi - Location Unknown
Your eyes open to an infinite expanse of whiteness, so bright it's painful. Floating a ways from you in a lotus position is a man in fine silks gone torn and rotten. his head is bowed and you see a figure, skeletally emaciated, but roughly human, latched onto the man's back, with it's lower face merged seamlessly into the skin of the bowed figure, it's hate-filled eyes glare at you.

The robed man sighs, and raises his head. the beard is unkempt, the hair gone too grey and too long, but his face is unmistakable. It's your father.

"Desi..." he groans.

What do you Do?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 24, 2015

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Desiderio shielded his eyes, wincing at the light, but quickly grew accustomed to it when it became apparent that it was the least of his worries.

The Mad Warlock.

"Father!" he cried and started forward, before correcting himself. "Er, I mean, your Dread Eminence." Desiderio's father had always been a stickler for correct etiquette and title. When one dealt with (and routinely tortured, infuriated and cajoled) the denizens of the the lower depths and outer hells as much as the Mad Warlock did, these finer points became a the difference between life and horrific, terrifying death.

Desderio drew his saber, and touched it religiously to the Serpent tattoo on his arm.

"Your Dread Eminence," he repeated. "What would you have me do? Shall I cut this...whatever this is away? Tell me, what is going on? Where are we?"

Is this something that I've seen in my father's books? Spout Lore: 2d6 10

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 24, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

Desi
Spout Lore: You recognize that you're in a dream-realm, a place outside of reality, and what you're seeing are metaphors.
In this place, your father isn't literally your father, but instead represents something that you associate with your father- perhaps authority, perhaps, love, or strength (really this is all you bro).
The bald thing is obviously some kind of parasite-symbol, a drain on your father-symbol. But what could it mean? Magic is hard.

The moment you draw your saber, the emaciated Thing's mad eyes go wild. It grips tighter to your father, whipping its head to and fro like a dog savaging a toy, the lower half of it's face still melded with your father's shoulder even as skin stretches painfully. Your 'father' screams.

What do you do? What is the rest of the group doing?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Sorry dudes, kind of went on here.

Desiderio's flash of inspiration gave him pause, and not just because of its relative scarcity. Lands of high metaphor, dream realms. The knowledge that the apparition before him wasn't actually his father was both reassuring and disappointing- while his father wasn't actually being tormented by some metaphorical parasite, it also meant that he was back to square one in regards to what he actually knew about his father's whereabouts, and if he was actually still alive.

Despite this, he found the thing's thrashing unsettling, and so re-sheathed his sword, then sat (disturbingly) on nothing as it calmed down.

"You're not my father," he mused to himself, his fingers woven together in front of his face. "You're representative of something that I associate with my father though. Something relevant to this situation. You appear thus," and here he paused point with his gauntleted hand, "so that I will recognize it. Because otherwise I wouldn't understand."

"And you," said Desiderio, flicking that same finger up at the parasite creature, which glared at him with the eyes that stood out from the first apparition's back, "are something that is feeding upon the first. A corruption. A cancer. So the question is," he said, more to himself than to the things in front of him, "what is it do you represent?"

"My father was- is many things," Desiderio mused, catching himself speaking in the past tense and correcting for it. "He is driven. He is fearless. He is wise and powerful and righteous. While he never took up the sword like my mother and I, metaphorically it was the sword that guided his action with others. He always struck from a position of fear and power, something he understood from dealing with devils and unclean spirits. To show kindness to that kind was to show weakness."

"I wonder," he said, looking this representation of his father, "if you're meant to represent the Count's nobler instincts, before he gave himself over to corruption? It wouldn't surprise me if he was similar to the Mad Warlock. Did what's left of you leave that paper dragon for me, if that was even what it was? I wonder what the others would have seen if they had looked at it."

"And you then," said Desiderio, looking up at the parasite, "are what causes the Count to be as he is now. As the Lich."

Desiderio stood, his mind made up.

"You reacted the sword as the imps my father conjured up reacted to the unfettered power of his will. He was kind to me as a child, in his way, but kindness is not what he knew best," he said, thinking aloud, slipping back into the past tense unconsciously.

"So if you are prepared for the sword, how prepared are you for the open hand? The hand offered in kindness?" Desiderio pulled off his glove, then showed his palm to the creature.

"You don't have to live in hate."

He placed his palm on the emaciated parasite's head.

tl;dr-When you use the power of friendship, roll +...?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram

"Hmm. This place is strange." murmured Neram anxiously, his voice creaking as always. "We shouldn't split up, if we get separated the Lich's control of his domain will likely be maximised. He can do some kind of temporal manipulation, logically he probably can also do-" began Neram before Desiderio vanished "...spatial manipulation. Since I think the erstwhile 'hero' was doing something before he vanished... I hope that was his efforts and not the Lich's" continued Neram, his grey eyes flickering. "Regardless, our continued remaining here leaves us vulnerable, we should either proceed, leave, or find some other way around this strange place, but whatever it is that we do - we should do it."

"If the Lich is so busy, I doubt he is just being coy. I imagine he has some ritual in motion, likely malign in nature. I say we disrupt it, if only to spite someone who is getting on my nerves so." said Neram, his voice full of purpose for once.

Sighing, Neram moved off to one side, near a sconce attached to a wall - still carrying a blazing torch before he reached out and played with the sconce causing it to click as he twisted it a half-motion before pulling it down - causing a louder click before he released it and it snapped back to its original position. What followed was a rumbling sound as the wall around the sconce opened, disturbing a tapestry that hung above it.

"As I thought, this secret passageway is still here. At least this secret remains unchanged" remarked the old man in armour before gesturing at the others to follow. "If we are to make our way we may as well take the unexpected route."

Edit: Whoops, forgot to answer a question! Done it now, also my post makes more sense now anyway.

Infinite Oregano fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 25, 2015

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick / COG

Cog glared at the shadows beyond the door. Not letting the shiver that ran up her spine show. She pulled out a drone and placed it at her feet. It grew little stubby legs and tottered off to sit in front of the door and stare at the spot the 'spider' sat.

Satisfied with this, Cog stuck out her tongue and blew a raspberry at the lurking Lich, before following Neram over to his newly discovered hidden passage.

"Watch yourself, he's in control of the shadows, the ones over by the doors are big living traps. Just, watch where you're stepping, please?" She whispered, she had meant to talk louder, but even so, she couldn't help but feeling like she was about to feel a hand on her sholder. It made her feel twitchy, spooked.

-"Y-You're scared?"- Sammi's thoughts came tentitively.

-No!! I'm not!! But if I was I would totally be allowed to be because this poo poo IS scary! Cog replied huffily, and a little too quickly to be entirely truthful.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

Desi - Unknown Location
Your metaphorical father begins a dry chuckle, a very familiar one. You "jump" back in surprise. The Lich!
"Excellent reasoning, boy. Though your assumptions are flawed. You sit even now within one of my Phylacteries, a piece of my life. What you see here is no parasite as you understand the term. It is my death, starved and nearly stripped from me. It gnaws and gnashes at me, causing a pain of the spirit, though I yield it nothing!"

For the first time your 'father' looks up at you, his eyes burn with mad glee.
"I find it interesting that you've found your way here, but no matter, I've got a fresh soul to feed to my death and ease my pain." The Lich cackles in earnest as the image of your father stands, dragging the wretch on his shoulder, and reaching out a hand towards you.

Like lightning, a bolt of clarity hits your brain and you get a strong impression of your paper dragon, almost like a memory.
Of pricking a finger, placing a drop of blood on the dragon's snout and voice whispering a name. Vyffrdingthmz
As fast as it comes, you snap out of the vision. The Lich is still dragging itself towards you.

Ok, crisis time, and you only have time to choose one response:
If you choose to try doing whatever that was that just popped into your head, roll +INT, on a 7+ something happens...
Or you choose to try dealing with the Lich in some other fashion.

What do you do?

Neram and Luca
Your unveiling of the secret passage piques Luca's curiosity. He and the Ark move to follow you.
The space beyond the tapestry is a cramped hollow that appears to follow the curve of the wall. You can fit, but it will be a bit cramped and awkward for you, should you choose to enter. You can see, reflected from the stone walls, a dim light around the bend. The faint screaming you heard coming from outside earlier, can now be heard faintly coming up this passage.

What do you do?

Cog
The feed from your little drone is active, but now it's reporting multiple hits in every alcove and doorway this hall has. Your heart races, as Neram suggests going even deeper into Super Creepy McDark Castle.
This can't be happening.
The Count's (Lich's) words keep ringing through your ears. Was he just messing with you? There's no way to know. And-oh-god-Neram-and-Luca-are-looking-at-you! Desi is missing!

You feel your clockwork heart begin to heat up with the sheer effort of pumping. Cog hasn't felt like this in forever. But Sammi, well, she knows a panic attack when she sees one.

Gonna need you to roll to overcome your Urge or Cog is gonna have a bad time. :v:
What do you do?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"Serpent, what an rear end in a top hat," said Desiderio to himself, shaking his head as he skipped back out of the Lich's reach. His mind reeled from his vision (within a vision!), and, seeing how his previous attempt at thinking things through went, he just shrugged and went with the impulse instead.

In a flash, the folded dragon was between the two fingers of one hand, while the other had drawn his off-hand dagger. He jabbed his thumb with the blade, and held the wounded digit over the snout of the dragon.

"I suspect that this will go very poorly for one of us," he said as a scarlet bead grew on his thumb and then dripped onto the dragon's snout. "Not to sound like an ingrate, but I rather hope it's you."

"Vyffrdingthmz."

The blood of the courageous is the wages of heroism: 2d6 8

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Control your fear: 2d6+0 8

Uh oh, looks like things are getting to Cog :v:

Sammi Cubrick / COG
Urge: Fear - Partly resisted

Cog gulped, and moved closer to Neram, holding onto his arm. Her usual confidence wavered.

"W-Where's Desi gone...?"

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram

Neram peered at the passageway, cramped conditions were not ideal. For one if fighting were to begin there we would more than likely be forced to do so in single file - and none of those that were following Neram at the moment would likely be willing to lead the way - Desiderio chose the best moments to disappear, but then again that was his forté.

Still, because without forewarning such actions could lead to disaster - especially without knowing the full scale and capabilities of the Lich's manipulation over his own domain, Neram extended both his mystical and mundane senses in order to ascertain what dangers might lie ahead, and what might be done to avoid them.

Discern Realities (Wis): 2d6+1 13

Options:
* What should I be on the lookout for?
* What here is not what it appears to be?
* What is about to happen?

Neram's keenly attuned senses, combined with the Lich's meddlesome nature provided some interesting clues...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Full post tonight, but for now...
Neram: the miasma of magical confluences and twists in local Time-space serve to grant you a moment of true clarity.
Ask another question, and it doesn't have to be one from the Discern Realities list.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca

To reiterate, I somehow missed the count being the Lich so my previous post doesn't make much sense. Let's not think much about it ok?

Luca turns the nasty bottle in his hand. Doesn't seem like it'll do any good here. Doesn't matter, there are other ways. He hands it over to Dennis, who mumbles "I thought the Lich was a boorish drunk." "That's because you believe in rumors Dennis. Do try to sharpen up, we can't afford to get distracted." "...Yes. Not that he seems to care. The Antibodyan. Looks like he fleed already." Luca turns over to look. Desiderio is gone. Taken. Its not like him to make a quiet entrance, nor exit. That's.. bad. Luca had counted on him being here, not only for being good with a sword but also for his personality. Having someone so bombastic on his side made it easier for him to believe his own bluff.

Then Neram uncovers the hidden passage. A way deeper in, certainly not safe but probably not the one the Count expected the group to take.

Arashiofordo3 posted:

"W-Where's Desi gone...?"

"Taken by the Count most likely. But still alive." Hopefully. "Magic or no he won't go down quietly. If we hurry we can probably take him back." Luca takes a step into the dark corridor. "I think we owe him that much. And wasn't taking things from the count the reason we came here?" He spins around dramatically to look Sammi/Cog in the eye. "The reason you aren't hiding anymore? To finally know what the Monsters want of you? It will be dangerous, yes, but I say we press on. If we leave we won't get another chance to just walk into the Lich's manor to wring answers out of him."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

Desi
The smear of blood on the dragon's nose disappears, like it was absorbed, suddenly the paper folds begin to shift, and expand, filling out into a full sized giant dragon, still made of paper, which focuses its eyes on you intently.
The Dragon animates and grows instantly to a gigantic size. The dragon will (choose one):
  • teach you 3 secrets of magic
  • answer any 3 questions about anything
  • grant 3 favors (GM decides what counts as a favor)
Once those 3 are used, the dragon will disappear and you will never be able to use it again.

What do you do?

Cog
Your drone is still dutifully reporting that "oh no we're all going to die horribly, everything you've ever done has brought nothing but ruin and heartbreak to everyone around you, kill yourself." The Wyrd-shadows still lurk, they don't blind your senses entirely to the "-why even try. you're a failure, you've always been a failure, kill yourself, what would Icarus say if he could see y-" but they definitely help obscure signs of the Lich.

As you ask your question you look up at Neram's face, instead of the wizened old man you expect, you see someone much more...familiar.
"HellllooooOOO PppPreccioUuuSsssssss" Rags says, the illusion of his human face broken by teeth made of twisted scraps of cloth, the pits where eyes should be a writhing mass of woven tendrils...

Luca glares at you, his eyes fiery with hatred, until he finally speaks; "You stupid cow, you finally attain the power to make something of your pathetic waste of a life, and you flinch! Bah, your power is wasted upon you, should we meet the Prime perhaps I'll ask if he can empower me instead...At least I have the will to wrest what I want from life."
The Ark glares at you as well, mechanical and dispassionate eyes, like a cat deciding whether or not to pounce on a rat.

What do you do?

Neram
DR: Past a certain point, it's difficult for any mage to truly separate their own inborn intuition, with whatever input their magical senses grant them. But whichever sense is acting most keenly right now, it is screaming DANGER. Though, you're no fool, you've been mindful of the danger since the first Grimwulf stepped from the trees earlier today. No, this danger is something much more subtle. Though you've plenty of proof it exists, you're unable to percieve this 'Wyrd' that everyone speaks of, though Cog has mentioned it is quite present here and now, but you do perceive a subtle web of influence, layer upon layer, like ancient spider webs, lay upon you all, you see they grow thickest as they go deeper into the passage, but they also lay thickly upon Cog, wrapping her and covering her in wisps of influence, tugging at her fear, amplifying it. Without intercession, things could get really ugly, fast.

You still get that one free question, I just wanted to keep things going.
What do you do?

Luca
Sometimes it really sucks being the only non-magic practitioner in the room. By their expressions everyone is obviously reacting to something you can't see or hear. No matter, you just know the secret lay within these stone walls, the secret of monster-dom, the key to immortality. After all this was your entire reason for seeking the Deinophim in the first place, yes? To conquer death?

Why not try and stay on as the Lich's apprentice, learn necromancy and gain your undying wish in that fashion?

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram

Neram considered all of existence as he could, and although he had many desires still upon him - one was paramount beyond all things, not this petty lich nor his petty indiscretions - attempts to avoid death so strong that they are pitiful, nor the amulet that he sought most recently - for it was a means to an end. No, Neram had only one thing that he would want to know if all of eternity lay ahead for him to inquire upon. The clock. Neram desired to know where the clock is, or was, or will be. Whichever case will get him to it by his own power (or powers). That is, how to get to the clock.

His senses focused on the here and now once more as he awaited an akashic response - such things are not instantly understandable at the best of times. Cog/Sammi appeared to be in some distress, the ripples of echoes of energies that are otherwise invisible to Neram were likely the culprit, but to calm another down is a rather foreign concept to Neram. Still, perhaps he could try something more direct. But the question would be 'how'.

Perhaps of all the things Neram has seen and heard something could address this situation?

Spout Lore (Int): 2d6+3 8

As his looked at the frightened girl (or the being inhabiting her body in the present) the old man spoke, his voice eternally ancient as always "Are you alright... Cog? Is something amiss? At least more so than being in this infernal place."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"Hahaha!" cried Desiderio in delight. Now this, this was the kind of thing he liked!

"My friend! It is fortunate you are here! If it's secrets of magic that you deal in, then my request is this- provide me with the ability to destroy this creature!" he said, pointing at the Lich, who himself appeared somewhat nonplussed.

"Unless...unless the power was inside of me all along?" he added uncertainly.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick / COG

Cog gritted her teeth, partly against the whispers of the drone, but also against Sammi's screaming. She clung to Neram's arm harder. Illusions, god this guy was an arsehole.

"Master, Litch is blanketing my senses with illusions. I can't make out anything. You've all become horrible. I... I need you to guide me."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Just to be sure Desi, you're choosing the 3 secrets of magic option?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Yeppers!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

Neram
Spout Lore: Don't you find it strange that there's this much magic being slung around so casually, when even an archmagister would be hard pressed to keep up this many castings, this powerfully, for more than a few minutes before passing out under the strain? Clearly the Lich is very talented magically, he has demonstrated a working knowledge of time, mind, and death based magics. Nothing that another wizard couldn't do, the only really mystifying bit is how he has the strength and focus to do it all like this. In comparison your fine control of time based effects is very strong, likely the strongest in the world, but your focus is extremely narrow.
At this point, honesty demands I inform you that you already know everything you can know about this situation at this point.

Desi
The dragon regards you for a moment.
"There is no single ability that will allow you to destroy a lich, but I will tell you this, your friends already possess the knowledge to end the threat. I grant you instead, three gifts of small magic."
See the OOC thread

With that, the dragon catches fire, burning away to nothing within a few seconds, never to be seen again. but you realize, the Phylactery that brought you here was a Paper Dragon as well, it was simply written on with silver sigils (which one could reasonably suspect are the Liches doing). Some element of the Dragon's presence in this place seems to have disrupted things, the Lich screams at a volume fit to shatter your head, as everything goes white once more.

Everyone: What y'alls doing?

GM NOTE TO EVERYONE WHO ISN'T DESI: MINOR TIME RETCON - DESI NEVER DISAPPEARED HE HAS ALWAYS BEEN STANDING RIGHT HERE WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE WAS GONE NO HE WASN'T. :getin:
Also, OOC: the Lich isn't dead, or even really weakened, but he does know that somehow one of his Phylacteries just got gibbed, which means he is now n% more killable than he was before. So, yeah, beware of that.

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 1, 2015

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca

quote:

Why not try and stay on as the Lich's apprentice, learn necromancy and gain your undying wish in that fashion?

The issue is leverage. Learning from the Lich was always the plan, but right now Luca has nothing to offer in return. The count would have all the power in any relationship he could have with him. That doesn't mean staying in Myrk is off the table, only that for it to happen an equalizer must be found. Some way to make sure the count can't just use Luca as he pleases. Rummaging through his house seems like a good way as any to find such leverage, and now that Desiderio has disappeared Luca has a perfectly good excuse for barging in and-

"-so either way I intend to get my answers. If the corridor the count left through is trapped then let's take this one." Luca points to the hidden passage. "Dennis, you go first."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"Well, that's one down," said Desiderio, pleased with himself. He looked around at his companions, then frowned as it appeared that they hadn't even noticed him missing. "I just destroyed one of the Lich's phylacteries," he said helpfully. "You're welcome," he added after a pause.

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram

"The Lich's puissance is most... annoying. His skills seem extraordinarily broad and deep and everpresent. I postulate that he must have some method or methods of deferring or avoiding such a toll that magic would ordinarily extract. But what precisely I cannot say... yet." said Neram before turning to look at Desiderio with a look akin to annoyance. "I wish you would warn me before you do something like that, skipping time lines is not comfortable and this place already puts me on edge. But, good job nonetheless, any blow we can strike against this fiend is good." spoke the time mage, his voice hoarse and rough, perhaps he is unused to talking so much.

The old man turned back to Cog, his gaze focused on the frightened creature. "Illusions and enchantments are forced deviations from your perceptions of reality, in one way or another. The key to defeating them is focusing on what is real, consider the clock, or moreover: Time itself. Although petty manipulations can exert some control they so so within limits and try to avoid fighting against the flow. Focus your breathing, resonate it with each moment, each tick and tock. Focus your energies through this lens and grasp true reality." quietly stated the old man, the sagacity of his words and the moment in which he chose them resonating: after all with such a confusing turn of events, including Neram's acknowledging of things that never happened, Cog's defences would be down.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Sorry for the pause, things got hectic, and are still hectic.Will try to update tomorrow, but if not, expect one wednesday.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick / COG

Cog shook her head. "Sorry, if you were saying something useful, I can't hear you over the sound of an illusion of Rags threatening me with unspeakable torments. Just lead me for now. I'll work on a bypass."

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

So based on the OOC chat, we're all going forward into the secret passage?

The way is narrow and dark, as you move single file deeper into the Lich's keep. light and sound behave oddly, you hear screams that sound as though they come from just around the corner, once there was sobbing directly behind the group, and as ever, there's a dim glow just around the corner as there has been just around every corner you've taken so far.

After some time, your descent opens up into a landing. Before you are 3 doors.

What do you do?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"How thrilling!" said Desiderio as they were faced with the three doors. "What a classic set up! Now let's see, what do these doors have to offer..."

Discern Realities: 2d6-1 9

Holy poo poo, I actually made a +WIS roll! What here is useful or valuable to me? re: the doors.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Sammi Cubrick / COG

Before Cog lay three snarling maws, each more mind boggling that the last. None of them looked plesent. It was ether the maw of grasping tenticles on the far left. The convulsing maw of dripping fangs in the centre, or the maw of outstreached hands and smiling faces, trying to welcome her into their deathly embrace.

Yep, today was going to suck.

"Any ideas? All I can see is hell mouths of unending torment. So, y-you know. Not really liking our options here..."

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

Neram Katikeram
HP: 17/17 | Armor: 1/1 | Load 2/7 | XP: 2/10 | Tick Tock

The old man sighed at the young girl. She had much to learn, and to suffer such... inconvenience at such a pressing time was most irritating. The nature of this place might mean that trickery is afoot, but it could merely be... side-effects caused by the Lich's power or the progress of this ritual.

Regardless, many opportunities or choices are described figuratively as doors that lead to separate paths - it was uncommon to actually come upon literal sets of parallel doors that lead down different paths. Such a choice was almost refreshing to the ancient one.

With this in mind such divisions of choice are plainly clear (or are they?), and make perceiving the parallel currents relatively easy, assuming anything is easy in such a place as this. Neram's grey old eyes gazed simultaneously both here and the wefts and ripples of timelines long go and yet-to-be that lay ahead. Or... perhaps there was a better way. Taking the direct route is what the Lich might expect.

"Desiderio. Do watch out for anything that might crop up in such a place as this. The Lich is a master of trickery and providing false choices. Time might be of the essence too, but I am sure you can appreciate situations where that is the case. Nevertheless..." began Neram as he stepped forward, approaching Desiderio closer "try concentrating from moment-to-moment, let your heart and mind clear so you can see the truth." advised the old man, timing his advice just as Desiderio began to concentrate on the doors, but before the adventurous young'n had made his mind up about any pertinent details.

Perfect Timing posted:

[...]
When you Aid Another at just the right moment, you may roll +INT instead of +Bonds.

Aid (Perfect Timing) (Desiderio of the Antipodes): 2d6+3 6

Or maybe not. Timing advice right is just so much more complicated than performing a simple action at the right time, because people are incredibly more complicated than they need to be, and they can change their minds in a single moment.

Marking XP. (Unless someone wants to Aid my Aid????)

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Luca

"Another scream. Are we approaching the torture chamber?"

Hard to say. There isn't much to go on unless Desiderio notices something.

On the aid roll, I'd say that If a bunch of characters are idle together they can chain aids together. However in this case I'm not sure how to describe assisting someone in the process of advising a third person. Fiction first and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
GM
Basic Moves | Orokos

In the dim, but steady, light. You each study the three doors.
The first is massive, appearing to be a thick slab of carved stone, and older than anything else you've seen so far.
The second is banded iron, adorned in spikes and awash in stains, no one really wants to get close enough to see if it's blood or rust, or both.
The third and final door is made of sturdy wood, polished and if you'd seen it anywhere else, it would look downright homey and pleasant.

Desi
The wooden door is the one the screams are coming from. It also looks the easiest to open.

Cog
You have a choice! you can keep up the full hallucinations in fiction, or calm down a little and take the confused debility (-1 WIS)

Neram
You suddenly have a really REALLY strong conviction that the stone door, with its obvious ancient quality, is the correct course to take. Like seriously these idiots can't see the obvious.

Luca
The thick dust on the passage floor tells you that wherever these doors may lead, nobody has come through from this direction in a LONG time.

What do you all do?

• Locked thread