Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

General Ironicus posted:

Please do not be rude to Stone Toads.

Yo, what?

Metroid Prime was released in 2002. The first 3D adventure for genocidal giantess Samus Aran took awhile, after the creator of all games in the series prior came down with an unfortunate case of death, but was well worth the wait, as western developer Retro Studios basically made Super Metroid, complete with the awe-inspiring, atmospheric feel of exploring a new world in complete isolation, but in 3D.

On top of that, however, they included a staggering amount of flavour text! The scan visor that basically nobody used in Super Metroid is the star of Metroid Prime, with just about every single thing in the world containing some information that can be scanned. Most things are just tidbits of information, but there are a few dozen things that, when scanned, will be added to Samus' travel journal. And that's where you come in!

Huh?

When I scan something that will be added to Samus' logbook, you will get to read the entry while I keep playing, as if her suit has onboard AI that she never figured out how to disable. There are three types of scan data:

CREATURES

Everything that Samus can (and is going to) murder in cold blood self-defence. These are like encyclopaedia entries, detailing facts about the creature's biology and, usually, weaknesses.

PIRATE DATA

Space Pirates are aggressive, tenacious, and vapid bloggers. Seriously, they just don't shut up; pirate data entries are long and usually found in groups of two or three (or eight). Most of the time they're grumbling about how things suck for them because their general approach to all situations isn't really conducive to the scientific process.

CHOZO LORE

The Chozo aren't much better than the Space Pirates: the Chozo on Tallon IV were basically at the point of transcending the physical plane, and they talk exactly the way you think…while also grumbling about how the entire planet is dying. Total downer, guys.

I want to read!

Well then sign up here and I'll let you know when you've got something! All scan data has been assigned, but thanks for the support!

Sweet, let's do it!

Part 01: Forgive and Frigate
Part 02: I'm Tallon You We're Lost
Part 03: You Chozo To Ruins This Rave
Part 04: A Flaahgra-nt Misuse Of Power
Part 05: A Song Of Phendrana And Magmoor
Part 06: You Can Always Find Me In The Drifts
Part 07: Like Looking Into A Mira
Part 07: The Rave Beam
Part 08: I Don't Like You, Aether
Part 09: The Thardus-t Thing I've Had To Do
Part 10: Wavebustin' Makes Me Feel Good
Part 11: One Step Closer To Phendrana's Edge
Part 12: The Mines Reaper
Part 13: Let's Playsma
Part 14: Jerry Theatrics
Part 15: He's Called Glowing Blue Rockman In Japan
Part 16: Ridley's Believe It Or Not
Part 17: Prime Time

Bonus: The Samus Sing-a-long
Another Bonus: Kraig, the Unmotivated Space Pirate

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Metroid Prime is probably the game I put the most time into on the GC after Smash Bros. Melee.

Good to see you're using the (for general gameplay) superior PAL version. Lots of little touches added to the game for the PAL release. Such as the intro narration, suit voice and narration for entering the final area.

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie
What an excellent game. Great work so far with the LP, loving the format.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

This game owns

The LP gimmick owns

gently caress yeah... I have no confidence in my voice so gl to anyone who signs up to read lore.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
Just the other day I was talking to a friend of mine that was thinking of LPing the metroid prime series and he wasn't really sure how to handle the big walls of text, I think your logbook readout is a pretty great way of solving that problem. I enjoy the game but I've personally never read any of them and wasn't prepared to watch some guy read them aloud, having it read out during gameplay is perfect.

You're also otherwise doing a much better job than I imagine he'd do. Screw that guy.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
This is great. I love this game, I love this take on it. :3

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Geemer posted:

Good to see you're using the (for general gameplay) superior PAL version. Lots of little touches added to the game for the PAL release. Such as the intro narration, suit voice and narration for entering the final area.

Bu-bu-bu-bu-but Speed Runs! SPEED RUNS!

I'll gladly offer my services if you need a dull monotone or my attempts at scenery chewing ham.

Hope you do this with the others. Surely we are cursed.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

Bu-bu-bu-bu-but Speed Runs! SPEED RUNS!

I agree completely, the disgusting resentment they have to sequence breakers is simply amazing. But I was talking about general gameplay.

I'd offer up my voice, but I'm mostly interested in reading my namesake, which is met so early in the game that it's probably already taken.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
This game is good as heck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
This is actually the best game in the Metroid series and I was just thinking about how I needed to replay it. Even with the LP I think I'll still replay it anyways :buddy:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I finally finished this over the summer (bought the limited release Wii Trilogy however long ago that was) after having gotten like 1/3 of the way through and man it was a blast. MP2 and 3 were a breeze in comparison, it felt

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
So how many episodes till the best pirate data?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Good idea to handle all the scans like this.

I have this game, I can definitely see it's a good game... but it's just not for me. I just keep getting lost or don't know what to do next and it's really frustrating to me, so I never got very far.

Perhaps this LP can show what I missed.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
Well this does sound interesting! I'll sign up, sure!

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

all aboard for this, looking forward to this lp! you've got such a relaxing style, your videos are always quite enjoyable.

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
I never was good at FPSes, even the ones like this that had an auto lock feature and stuff. My reflexes are pretty dull and eventually there were too many monsters for me to keep up, even with me exploring for extra health and stuff. To be fair I never actually beat a Metroid game in my life, so I guess not being Prime either wasn't that bad.

My recording items are pretty lovely so I doubt I can sound good, but I would love to offer a voice if you ever find yourself running out of people or something.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Gonna show all you nerds how a real man talks words!

If I get picked to do some entries :ohdear:

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I am just giddy to hear my recording. This is a great idea.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

JossiRossi posted:

If I get picked to do some entries :ohdear:

Currently you're a shoe-in, and pretty much everyone has had usable, if not good, submissions so far. I have 60 people signed up to read, however some have been unresponsive since they signed up a couple of months ago, and there are 115 unique logbook entries. So currently almost everyone can get two entries. You'll only be in danger if another 60 people sign up in the next couple of weeks; I'll figure something out if that happens.

This might also be a good time to mention that there's a good chance that updates on this will take awhile.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

speaking of which, will you be contacting us as our logs come up in the recording schedule or earlier?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Sounds like an interesting way to show off this game. I would like to sign up, but I don't think I would be too helpful. I mean, I think I would be trying to read the entry in some sort of funny or weird way like this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I think I forgot to sign up initially, so I did it now. It sounds like great fun and this is a great game! Best of success with making the videos, I'm sure it's not easy to assemble everything properly.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Signed up for this. I'm assuming SA PM's are a valid contact method?

Regardless, I absolutely LOVE the Prime series. The original was just so mind blowing, in terms of gameplay and exploration in a 3-D environment. It really gave me the feel of playing the old school Metroids in a 3-D environment.

Not to mention, the chill, chill sounds of Phendrana.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The main theme is also absolutely amazing.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
This is a really good game, and the gimmick you've chosen has great potential! It's gonna be strange but cool hearing all of these different voices "helping" Samus along her journey.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The main theme is also absolutely amazing.

Not to mention the title screen and file select screen.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

I'll sign up for reading some entry somewhere, probably in Phenandra Drifts because it's the chillest (pun intended) level.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
This episode is fairly scan-heavy; this will probably be the case with the first video in each new area (doubly so since we go to two areas in this video). Things should calm down in the next couple of videos.

Part 02: I'm Tallon You We're Lost

I'll be out of town this weekend, but after I get back I'll be doing my best to get the next few videos worth of entries sorted and assigned. Thanks again to everyone who's signed up; if I survive this and do Echoes, this will be a great learning experience for how to handle everything.

Geemer posted:

Good to see you're using the (for general gameplay) superior PAL version.

Well, yes and no. Unfortunately we won't be hearing the narrator when we go to the impact crater, unless I power through the game on GC and snag the audio. I might do that, actually. The narrator is why I did the GC version to start with, in fact; I had forgotten that Trilogy included the narrator.

Aces High posted:

speaking of which, will you be contacting us as our logs come up in the recording schedule or earlier?

I'll be assigning lines as soon as I can; I could take each reader and put them on an entry, but I'd rather know which entries are upcoming and assign readers as we go along, since more people will be signing up over time.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 27, 2015

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

the log entry in spanish made my day.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Oh hey, we can do this in languages other than English? I'm suddenly quite tempted.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Aumanor posted:

Oh hey, we can do this in languages other than English? I'm suddenly quite tempted.

Loco sent me that more as a joke than anything, but I ended up using it because it was better than the ones he sent me in English and I thought it would be a funny fakeout. I'm not sure how well an abundance of entries that people are required to read would be received; since you're the only other person who's expressed interest so far in doing a non-English recording, I think it would be okay to give it a try, sure.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

I'm all for other languages being used.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
I'm actually against the different languages. It was cute the first time, but I feel like it defeats the purpose of the gimmick if I just end up reading the text anyway.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

But it's not paused screen text. It's literally just subtitles. Plus other languages own. :allears:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

This is getting crazy, I need a drink. Make it a Tallon.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Spudd posted:

But it's not paused screen text. It's literally just subtitles. Plus other languages own. :allears:

As long as I can read this in the language of Trump then I'm all for other languages. :allears:

"We have a problem in this galaxy, it's called Space Pirates. How do you intend to get rid of them?"

"We're going to be looking at a lot of different things, including morphball tech. I mean, it wasn't exactly the X Parasites that blew up Ceres."

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I am simultaneously happy that I'm apparently a trendsetter and a little sad that I've derailed the conversation so much with my joke entry. I'm also a little surprised that my voice clip didn't get put through a static-y radio filter.

I did 6 different takes in English alongside the Spanish one and tossed a Dropbox folder at frozentreasure for his perusal. Fun fact: I could have probably said something completely unrelated in Spanish instead of actually bothering to transliterate the Lore entry since he took me on my word that it was a translation.

Not that I can think of any jokes I could've pulled that wouldn't have been immediately caught.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Loving the LP so far! I PM'd you links to a few takes for my submission.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Got my assignment, I may have a few links pm'd to you tonight, we'll see how things go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Assignment completed, PM sent! Looking forward to seeing more - I had Metroid Prime when it came out, and as my first Metroid game it left a hell of an impression. Venturing back to Tallon IV is a great nostalgia trip.

• Locked thread