Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

???: ...

???: ...morn...ing.

???: ...good...d...

???: Goo..d...morning...

: Good morning!
: Uwaaaaahh!

: Upupu! Nice reaction! I'm glad to see you didn't disappoint!
: Wh-What...!? What are you doing here!?
: I wanted to spice things up! So instead of a school announcement, I decided to wake you up in person!
: What the hell for!?
: Because it's fun.

: And as long as I'm here, I figured I'd let you hear it right from the bear's mouth.
: Hear what?

Music cuts out.

: Are you sure you should be acting this laid back? I mean, even though something happened to one of your buddy-buddy classmates?
: What...?

: Wuhwuhwuh-what? Your face is all blue, like someone on the verge of death!
: What...what happened? What are you talking about!?
: Puhuhu! That's for me to know, and you to find out! Good luuuck! *leaves*

Something's happened to someone... Is it...? Was it--!?

: No, it can't be... There's no way someone would...

But...what if...? No, "what if"s are pointless. Especially now, when...

: ...The dining hall. I need to get to the dining hall!

: Ah, Makoto!
: Are you okay?
: Did Monokuma talk to you, too?
: Hiro, Hina, Sakura, and...

: ...
: Byakuya... You're the only ones here? Where's everyone else?
: Either they're already off trying to verify what Monokuma said...
: ...or they've fallen victim to the "something" that Monokuma mentioned.
: The...something?

: It can't be... Has it happened again? Murder...?

After hearing what Monokuma had to say, the worst possibility forced its way into my mind... It took everything I had to drive that thought away.

: S-So if something really did happen... Does that mean someone did it cuz of what happened yesterday?
: It can't be! That stuff was just a bunch of old memories!
: "Just" old memories? Don't be so sure about that. Clearly someone felt it was more important than that.
: Huh...?

: To judge someone else's values based on your own outlook... Do you realize how dangerous that is?
: Wh--? Why didn't you say something yesterday!?
: Did you already forget? This isn't a co-op game. It's every man for himself.
: What good does it do me to go out of my way to help you?

: Stop saying that already!
: There's something wrong with him, for serious. Did he get brainwashed or something?
: That's not important. What matters right now is that we find out what happened...
: She's right. Let's all split up and begin looking. Hmhm... The game is afoot.

: We're given no directions where to search, so we may as well start with the 1st floor.

: Hina can be found searching outside the dorm hallway.

: I knocked on all the doors, but nobody answered. Did they all go to see...what happened? ...Oh, then what about the 2nd floor of the school? That's the one place that's new to all of us, so it seems like the natural place for...

: If we check the Trash Room, we can find Sakura looking around.

: There doesn't appear to be anything here.
: What are you doing here, Sakura? Did you...find something?
: Oh, no. It's just that...what you said the other day must have been lurking in the back of my mind.
: Huh?
: If something has happened, the killer might try to use this to destroy evidence again. I suppose that was floating around my subconscious, and it led me here.

: Hiro's hanging out in the 1st floor hallways.

: Hey, Makoto... Honestly, what do you think?
: Huh? About what?
: About Byakuya. You think he'd being brainwashed or what?
: I-I dunno. You'd know more about that kinda thing than me, right?

: What!? What's that supposed to mean?
: Well, I mean...you're some kind of psychic, right?
: Listen, Makoto, I think you've completely misunderstood what it is I do. Okay? Listen, fortune-telling is like...

: It's totally different from brainwashing or hypnosis or any of that pseudoscientific bullcrap!
: I need you to understand that.

So you expect me to think fortune-telling *isn't* pseudoscience? Sorry, but I don't wanna get yelled at.

: Upstairs in the library, Byakuya has pretty much nothing useful to tell us.

: There's nothing here of interest, don't you agree? You should go look somewhere else.
: Thanks.

: The classrooms are all empty on both floors, as are the remainder of the 1st floor rooms. The only places left to check are the pool and locker rooms.

: Nothing immediately in the pool hallway, so let's move on to the locker room.

Huh...? The door's open. But aren't these supposed to be locked...?

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: For this investigation, I have unlocked the doors. Please look around to your heart's content!

: I-Investigation...?
: Just as I thought.

: Byakuya--!
: Judging from what he just said, there can be no doubt a murder really has taken place.
: C-Come on...!

: And the locker rooms... They're suspicious. Very suspicious, indeed. Wouldn't you agree?
: Huh? Suspicious...?
: It seems nobody's searched the locker rooms. Let's start with the girls locker room...

He was muttering, as if talking only to himself.

Without waiting for a reply, he pressed his hand against the girls locker room door and the door swung open without a sound.

Music fades out.

In that moment, time seemed to freeze.

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO :siren:

: What...?

I don't know how long it took for me to fully comprehend the reality of what I was looking at. But as soon as I did...

: UwaaaaaaAAAAAHHH!!!

A wild, almost primeval scream escaped from my mouth.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is a bloody nitpicking whine I doubt anyone will agree with but being an actual word, "bloodlust" doesn't work as a serial killer's calling card. (I think that's been discussed in-game but I can't remember for sure.)

E: only just noticed my own choice of words there :v:

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 31, 2015

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Welp, RIP Chihiro.

Knowing just how this played out, its kinda interesting seeing the scene again with knowledge of what went down.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I'm just waiting for the moment when Makoto (that's his first name, right?) screams "everything I touch dies".

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Pepto Bismol people have for blood is more distracting than anything...

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
That writing on the wall cracks me up. Someone spent a long time on each letter, tracing it exactly over the wall with a paintbrush at a difficult angle and preserving the thickness of the line along every curve. That S was painted in exactly one brush stroke, and the person doing it made sure to carefully rotate the brush as he or she went, so parts of it wouldn't wind up wider than others.

If only we had an Ultimate Calligrapher to blame for this masterpiece, and if only it wasn't all done in Chihiro's blood :cry:

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 31, 2015

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

That writing on the wall cracks me up. Someone spent a long time on each letter, tracing it exactly over the wall with a paintbrush at a difficult angle and preserving the thickness of the line along every curve. That S was painted in exactly one brush stroke, and the person doing it made sure to carefully rotate the brush as he or she went, so parts of it wouldn't wind up wider than others.
For comparison:

It might be an unfair comparison, being in Japanese and all, but this is far more obviously scrawled rather than looking like it was typed in Photoshop. I remember there was a mock-up posted in either Oren's LP or the DR2 one of how "BLOODSTAIN FEVER" would look in English but that's like 1000 pages to look through. The least NISA could have done was make the ends of the letters not look clean.

E: "not clean" is a pretty lovely description of what I mean. You know the way the ends of strokes go out to varying lengths when you use a paintbrush?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

AlphaKretin posted:

For comparison:

It might be an unfair comparison, being in Japanese and all, but this is far more obviously scrawled rather than looking like it was typed in Photoshop. I remember there was a mock-up posted in either Oren's LP or the DR2 one of how "BLOODSTAIN FEVER" would look in English but that's like 1000 pages to look through. The least NISA could have done was make the ends of the letters not look clean.

E: "not clean" is a pretty lovely description of what I mean. You know the way the ends of strokes go out to varying lengths when you use a paintbrush?

Is the word you're looking for "smear"?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is the word you're looking for "smear"?

That would be it, yeah. :downs: It's like 40°C where I live ok my brains frying. :saddowns:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't mean to be one of those guys but okay I lied I totally mean to be one of those guys and we totally did this better.

And by "we" I mean HelloWinter.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't really have a problem with how the game chose Bloodlust and the style for it but goddamn, that drawing of Bloodstain Fever is amazing. I remember when the translation was just starting and HelloWinter's was making texture posts. The english graphics were just so well done.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I tried to suppress my screaming, but it was useless. It surged out of me, like water from a spring gushing out of the ground. Byakuya, on the other hand...

: Most unusual, don't you think...?

He was totally calm. Almost like he was watching this all unfold in front of a TV screen.

: Look. Chihiro's corpse has been suspended somehow. And something's been written on the wall, in blood... "Bloodlust"?

: Such a brutal way to kill someone... No, this is beyond brutal. Wouldn't you agree?
: They killed her. How could it *not* be brutal?
: No, that's not my point. This murder is far too bizarre for any everyday amateur to have committed it. Unlike with Sayaka, this murder was not a crime of passion or necessity. It's almost as if whoever did this...did it for fun. You see what I mean, don't you?
: ...What?

My head was swimming. I was still reeling, too confused to understand what he was trying to say. And before I could even begin to clear my head...

: Hey, I heard screaming! Did something--?

: ...AAAAAAAAHH! Chihiro!?

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: A body has been discovered! After a certain amount of time, which you may use however you like, the class trial will begin!

: ...What the hell was that?
: Ah, that's right. You were unconscious during Sayaka's, so you don't know about it. What you just heard was the body discovery announcement. Apparently, when three or more people discover a body, an announcement plays to let everyone know. I imagine it's so that the search for the culprit can proceed fairly for everyone involved.

Proceed...fairly?

: The body discovery announcement!? Then Chihiro really is...?
: Dead, yes.
: D-D-D-D--!
: Before you start screaming your head off, go round everyone up. It seems another game has begun. Another life-or-death game to uncover a killer...

Taka bolted out of the locker room. As everyone made their way to the scene, it felt as if no time at all passed. It was like my sense of time had just...taken wing and flown away. When I finally came back to myself, I say everyone had the same look of confusion, fear, and anger. We all just stood there, gathered around Chihiro's body.

: drat... I couldn't keep her safe!
: So there's another victim...
: Which means we are now in the same position once again.
: gently caress, man... What the gently caress IS this!?
: It's a dream... This is a dream! It's all just a dream! In fact, I haven't even been born yet! I don't have any memory of ever being alive! Ugyaaaah!
: Shut up.

: Let's examine Chihiro's body.

: For now, pay attention to the wall.
: Huh?
: I said it once already. There's a word written there.

On the wall...?

The word "bloodlust" is written on the wall in blood...

: I don't think it's any kind of dying message. It's just too...strange...
: But, you know...that thing about writing "bloodlust" in blood... Doesn't it sound kinda familiar?

: A murderous fiend, who kills again and again using a bizarre and brutal method... And at the scene of each crime, the word "bloodlust" is written in the victim's own blood. They're like a ghost, attacking suddenly then slipping away before the police can catch up to them. And what nickname did the Internet give to this mysterious serial killer?

: Genocide Jack!

Genocide Jack... The "murderous fiend" whose grisly attacks were famous all across the country. The Ultimate Murderous Fiend, creating a reputation of abnormal, downright cruel killings.

: Then this is...some copycat killer trying to imitate Genocide Jack's "style"? But...why would anyone do that?
: Perhaps...it's the work of the real Genocide Jack.
: The real...? Wait, are you saying Genocide Jack is here in the school!?
: Th-There's no way...!

: But going so far as to write bloodlust at the scene... I am surprised at their stupidity...
: I can't imagine a worse situation than dealing with a stupid murderer...
: Ah--!

: What is it now!?
: Toko!

Hina was pointing toward the entrance to the girls locker room.

: Ah...ahh...

Toko was the last to arrive, and now she was just standing there.

: ...? Nnnnnno... Wh-Why...? Why...? W...h...y...?

: WHYYYYYYYY!?!?

*GADUNK*

: She fainted! That did NOT sound good!
: T-Toko!

Hina rushed over to the collapsed Toko and started trying to shake her awake.

: Toko, are you okay!? Come on, wake up!

: Oh, that's right. I just remembered what she said, about how she faints anytime she sees blood.
: So she is hemophobic? I imagine she does not watch too many horror films, then.

: This isn't a violation of the rules, right? I mean, technically she passed out somewhere besides her room.
: No, I think it should be okay. The regulations prohibit "sleeping." Like, on purpose.
: Ahh, so since she didn't faint on purpose, it doesn't count? Gotcha.

: Toko, can you hear me!? Hey, you gotta wake up!

As if she'd heard her...Toko suddenly shot awake. As in, she literally jumped up from where she was laying. It was such a strange reaction, I was at a total loss for words. She leapt straight up into the air, changing her stance as she did.

In no time flat, she was just...standing up. Ignoring the physical contortions she had to go through, her motions were totally haphazard.

: Huh? What?
: Sorry about that. I was just so shocked, ya know? It happens, right? Was I the only one?
: T-Toko? Are you...okay?
: I'm fine, I'm fine! Kyehaha...! Whoa, is that a dead body!? Hey! Are you dead!? Kyeehahaha!
: She musta hit her head *real* hard when she fainted...
: The world has a front and a back, a top inning and a bottom, a sea of truth and a web of lies!

: This is...quite concerning. I mean, she sounds completely different...
: No no no, everything's fine! At least the stutter's all gone. That's a good thing, right!? Kyeehahaha!

: It's clear to me that everything is *not* fine! Your eyes seem strangely vacant!
: It might be best if we take her back to her room for the time being...

: I don't mind taking her, but...could someone help me?
: If you need help, I don't mind--
: Taka, could you help me?
: Huh? She totally ignored me!

: Very well. You take care of the girl, and the rest of us can begin the investigation right away. Can I assume nobody has a problem leaving Sakura and Mondo on guard duty again?
: H-Hold on a second. Rushing to an investigation--
: The mastermind isn't behind that. After what happened last time, surely you realize that.
: Nng...!

: There is no question that Chihiro was murdered by someone among us. Isn't that right, Monokuma?

: Right as rain! But don't take it as a bad thing. It's just a fact of life!
: Because that's how graduation works!

Then...it's happened again? Is that what you're saying? That another one of us...? Another one of us...killed...a fellow classmate?

: What, does that freak you out? You guys got no balls, you know that!? Is there just nothin' down there at all? Well, I'll let you pray to mine if you want.
: Actually, I don't have any, either! Sorry!
: Stop monologuing and give us what you came here to give us. You *did* bring it, right?

: Hehehe... I sure did, chum! Allow me to present the next Monokuma File. I know how much you must be looking forward to it! So, please do you very tippytop best on this investigation! *leaves*

: Do we really gotta do another investigation...? Examining the corpse of one of our friends... Having to suspect all our *other* friends... I hate this... I can't take it anymore!
: I hate it, too! I-I-I've had enough! I'm gettin' outta here!

: Where do you plan on going? There's nowhere to run.
: Just accept it already. After all, blood is just a liquid. A dead body is a simple object.

: You are very...enthusiastic about all of this, are you not?
: How can I not be? If we don't unmask the culprit we all die.
: Th-That's true, but...to jump into it so soon...

: What? Do you *want* to die? Fine, then go off and die somewhere. Right now, go ahead. You're a waste of space.
: A dead body is an...object?

: Chihiro wasn't an "object"! Show a little respect, or I'll beat some into ya!

: Everyone stop bickering. Listen, there's some truth to what Byakuya said.
: K-Kyoko!
: If we don't solve the mystery and find the killer, our own lives are forfeit. And if Byakuya is right that Genocide Jack is somehow the one who killed Chihiro then unless we do something, more victims could start piling up.
: Forget more victims! If we mess this up, we're all dead meat!

: Hold on, hold on. If that's your worry, you don't gotta worry any longer! In any one killing game, the guilty party may only kill a maximum of two people.
: What...? I don't remember any rule like that.
: I just came up with it. I mean, if one person went around and killed everyone, your lovely student life would be all over, right?
: The new rule has been added to the Regulations menu.

: In that case, why not limit it to *one* person?
: Well in a good mystery, you don't want to miss out on at least the *potential* of a serial killer angle! Nyoohohoho! Just one would totally murder that possibility!
: Farewell for now! I'll catch you guys at the class trial! *leaves*

: I can't say I understand his thinking, but if we can kill up to two people then one more person's life could still be in danger.
: Which is definitely not good. We need to uncover the culprit before something else happens.
: YOU need to shut the gently caress up!

: W-Well...for now, Taka and me are gonna drop Toko off at her room.
: Nice! I'm gonna get dropped off! *Taka, Hina and Toko leave*

: We have no time to stand around here. We must begin our investigation tout suite. If we do not solve the mystery of who killed Chihiro...
: ...then we will quickly follow her into the afterlife.

That's true... I hate this, but...if I want to survive... Me and everyone else... We have to do it. We don't have any other choice!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Aug 19, 2016

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If a murderer kills (or tries to kill) 3 people, do they die too from breaking the rules? And does that circumvent a trial?

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

FPzero posted:

: What, does that freak you out? You guys got no balls, you know that!? Is there just nothin' down there at all? Well, I'll let you pray to mine if you want. Actually, I don't have any, either! Sorry!

: Stop monologuing and give us what you came here to give us. You *did* bring it, right?

Monokuma, you sick rear end.

I love Togami's attitude throughout all this, too. Ishimaru and the others all melt down as soon as they discover Chihiro's body; Togami is just "Hmm. Look here, Naegi. This is all very unusual. We'd better investigate it immediately."

It reminds me of Miles Edgeworth in one of the Ace Attorney sidegames. Chill as gently caress.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

If a murderer kills (or tries to kill) 3 people, do they die too from breaking the rules? And does that circumvent a trial?

We saw when Mondo and Junko attacked Monokuma, and from Monokuma's threats about sleeping outside dorms or going into the wrong locker room or whatever, that rulebreaking is generally met with murder, yes. I think that would hold if someone killed more than 2 people, given that Monokuma would see it as interfering with his game - he'd probably either kill the rule-breaker openly and crack jokes about it to the students or do it covertly and make the survivors do a trial anyway to determine how the murders and subsequent punishment went down.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, people were talking about wasted characters? I kinda feel like Chihiro was one. There's this whole character arc of self-loathing and wanting to improve and you think that's going to go somewhere. And then Chihiro's dead.

I mean, I guess the stuff with Alter-Ego makes up for it, but still. Would've been nice if Chihiro lasted a little longer, if not to the end.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
Hey Mondo, you feeling alright? You look a little...flat.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lacedaemonius posted:

That's the game's art style, it's just not very obvious in this format.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Lacedaemonius posted:

If you rotate a room view, all the characters turn out to be cardboard cutouts. It's weird.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
They did this whole thing where they took an engine limitation and turned it into an art style. More or less everything in any given room is just sprites; only the basic room geometry is modelled. But because everything is sprites, they can be animated very cheaply. Have we seen the animations you see when you enter a room in this thread yet? If not we should; they are awesome and pretty much justify the sprite usage.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'll try and make a few room transition gifs because they are super cool. My gif-making skills are very lacking but I guess this would be as good a time as any to try and improve them.

Unrelated, you'll notice something different in the next update's presentation...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

First of all, I'd better check the Monokuma File to see exactly what's going on.

"The victim was Chihiro Fujisaki. The time of death is estimated to be around 2:00 a.m. The body was discovered in the girls locker room, on the 2nd floor of the school. The cause of death was a blow to the head with a blunt object. She was killed instantly."

That's...all it says. Well...it's not like there's any point in complaining about it. No matter what, I gotta do what I gotta do...

: Hey, Makoto. Do you have a second?
: Huh? Did you...need something from me?
: Of course. Life without purpose is quite dull, you know?
: Um, so...what did you need?

: I'm going to let you cooperate with me during my investigation.
: ...Huh?
: I'm purchasing your talent. The same talent which allowed you to solve Sayaka's case.
: S-Solve...? No, I just...
: You seem to have some limited use. Which is why I've chosen you. You have the honor of contributing to my investigation.

So...you're inviting me to come with you? You're doing it in the most arrogant way possible, though...

: Now then, shall we get started?
: B-But...
: We need to get moving. There's no time to be standing around.

I don't really know what just happened but it looks like I'll be working with Byakuya one this one.

: Let's have a look at Chihiro's body to start.

I could feel the life draining out of my own body. It's a dead body... *Chihiro's* dead body...

: But the more I look, the more strange it all seems. This must be Genocide Jack's handiwork.
: Well, but...
: But we're still not sure he did it. Is that what you want to say?
: I wonder about that... Hmhmhm...

The poster's got some blood on it. It must have happened during the murder.

There's a dumbbell on the floor. And this is a bloodstain! There's a bloodstain on the dumbbell!

: The Monokuma File said "a blow to the head with a blunt object" is what killed her.
: Does that mean this dumbbell was actually the murder weapon...?
: I don't imagine it could have been anything else.

There's a fresh bloodstain on the carpet. It must've been splattered with blood during the murder...

: I use this locker room all the time. Now...it's become the site of Chihiro's death.
: But...why was she killed in the locker room? Actually, if you think about it, she could have been killed somewhere else, then carried here.
: She was very light, that is true. It wouldn't be hard for someone to carry her. But still... I still think she came here on her own, by choice.
: What makes you say that?
: She'd been talking a lot lately about how she wanted to get stronger.
: So you're saying she came here to exercise? But according to the Monokuma File, apparently she was killed around two in the morning. Would she really have been exercising that late?

: Hina or myself are usually in the locker room during the day. So she was probably avoiding it then.
: Avoiding it...?
: Although we invited her to join us more than once, she never showed up. So I can only assume she was trying to avoid us.
: And instead, she came to exercise in the middle of the night?

: Perhaps. But it's difficult for me to imagine she would have come alone. She did want to start exercising, but she specifically mentioned she couldn't do it be herself. She needed support from others.
: So you're saying she could have come here in the middle of the night to train in secret but that she also would have come with someone else.
: It's a possibility, I think.

She took her time examining Chihiro's corpse. She poked and prodded, going over every inch of the lifeless body.

: You're a very strange woman, you know, being able to touch a dead body with absolutely no trouble.

She seems to be concentrating pretty hard. It's like she can't even hear us.

: Dude had a real complex about being weak. You heard Chihiro talk about it, right? All "I need to get stronger!"
: Yeah, I do remember she said that more than once...
: Sure did. Which...I guess explains the trip down here...
: But...did she really need to get stronger that badly? You already mentioned it, but...she *was* a girl, after all. Most girls aren't all that strong.

: I dunno, man. Haven't really thought about that stuff.

The cause of Chihiro's complex... I can't help wondering what it might be.

: Now I believe it's about time for us to move on.
: Huh? Already?
: New clues won't magically appear by standing around here. We need to check every aspect of this case.
: Th-That's true, but...
: If you're satisfied, let's hurry up and proceed. *leaves*

He's so...pushy. I got caught up with the wrong person this time...

: So, this is our next location.
: Huh? This place is related to the investigation?
: Figure it out for yourself. It's no fun if you don't right?

: Byakuya's no help to us but the thing he wants us to examine is the card reader outside the girls locker room.

: If I remember right, this card reader is meant to work with our handbook, right?
: Do you have an issue with it? If so, you should take it up with Monokuma.

He said that, then quickly and sharply clapped his hands together.

: You called for me!?

Has he been domesticated...?

: It seems that Makoto has a question for you.

: Sure, what's up?
: Umm...well, it's just about this card reader.
: Yes, the card readers have all been designed to interface with each of your e-Handbooks! You can only enter the locker room corresponding to the gender listed in your individual handbook.

: And it's impossible for two people in a row to go through while the door is unlocked, correct?
: If there were some sort of erotic terrorist on the prowl...

: The ceiling-mounted Gatling gun would initiate a Swiss cheese slaughter!
: And the school regulations prohibit anyone from lending someone else their handbook, correct?

: Correctly correct!

So then.. That means only girls can go in the girls locker room, and only boys can go in the boys locker room. In other words, Chihiro's body being found in the girls locker room means...

: Hey, Makoto. I can see right through you.
: See right...through me?
: Allow me to tell you what you're thinking... Since Chihiro was found in the girls locker room, the killer must have been able to get in there. As such, the killer must be one of the girls. Did I get it right? Good lord you're simple.
: But am I wrong?
: You should pay closer attention to the regulations. The answer has been in front of you the entire time. "Loaning your e-Handbook to another student is strictly prohibited." Only the act of *loaning* a handbook is prohibited. Borrowing someone else's is perfectly fine.

: Nyohohoho! I would expect nothing less from the prodigal son of the noble Togami family! So you managed to sniff out the loophole in the regulations!
: Knowing you, I would bet you created it on purpose, didn't you? To add a little more excitement to things.

: Kyaaah! You're treating me like a puny little appetizer instead of the main course that I am! Now then, since the dead can't actually talk, they're not people anymore--they're things! Get it? Got it? Good.
: Wait, hold on... You're saying that's a loophole, but... In order to borrow something from someone, then...that means someone would have to loan it, so...uh...
: So sleepy... Just listening to you makes me wanna pass out! Be more like Byakuya and get your poop together!

: Or else I'll charge you with criminal negligence! No more questions! Figure out the rest your own drat self! *leaves*

: Well, I know you are unfortunately lacking in mental faculties, so I'll fill you in myself. Let's head to the main hall.
: The main hall?
: That'll help you understand what's going on.

We came to...the main hall.

: So...what are we looking for here?

Does that mean I have to figure it out for myself?

: Once again, Byakuya won't help us. It's not hard to find what he wants us to see though.

There's a mailbox here. Could there be something inside...?

It's...an e-Handbook!? No, wait...there's *three* of them! But what are they doing here?

: So, you finally found them.
: Huh? Did you know these were here, Byakuya?
: I happened to find them by chance myself the other day. It seems there's a system in place where the handbooks of dead students get "delivered" to this mailbox.
: So then, these three handbooks belong to Junko, Leon, and Sayaka?
: You can go ahead and confirm it yourself.

I immediately turned on one of the handbooks. And when I did...

: You're right! This is Sayaka's handbook!

: Now do you understand? This is the key to the loophole that I revealed earlier.
: Yeah, I feel like I'm starting to get it...

: You should pay closer attention to the regulations. The answer has been in front of you the entire time. "Loaning your e-Handbook to another student is strictly prohibited." Only the act of *loaning* a handbook is prohibited. Borrowing someone else's is perfectly fine.

I see...yeah, now I understand.

: Hm? Hold on a second...
: What's wrong?
: That's strange. One of the handbooks won't turn on.
: Is it broken? Whose is it?
: The other handbook showed Junko's name when I started it up.
: Then the one that won't turn on must be...Leon's, right?

: It would make sense, yes. After all, he did get pummeled with dozens and dozens of baseballs.

Pummeled with baseballs...

The memory of it came flooding back. That cruel punishment, which led to Leon's death... The execution that the mastermind concocted... A cruel, heartless death...

: You're right. It wouldn't be surprising for the handbook to break during that kind of assault.

: Hey, hey!
: Hey hey hey hey hey!
: HEEEY!
: Wh-What...?
: That e-Handbook is essential to student life here! Crucial, integral, instrumental, a super big deal! There's no way it would break that easily!
: But it did...
: If I say it wouldn't break, it wouldn't freakin' break! It can withstand up to ten tons of pressure, and it's waterproof up to a hundred meters, okay!? I don't care how many baseballs you hit it with, it wouldn't do crap!

: Oh, but uh...even my amazing handbook does have one single weak point.
: It does?

: But it's a secret! I wouldn't want you to go breaking any more handbooks!
: Then Leon must have broken it somehow without realizing what its weakness was, right?
: Hmm...hard to say! You know what I think? I think his handbook isn't actually broken!

: But, you might ask, how could that be!? *leaves*

Leaving the question hanging in the air, Monokuma disappeared.

: What just happened? Monokuma said it's not broken. But it's an undeniable fact that it's not turning on.
: Well, I don't see any connection to the case, so it doesn't matter for now.

You think so? Either way, something about it still bothers me...

: Okay then, this should be enough to get things rolling. Let's begin out investigation in earnest and track down the true culprit.
: Yeah. We need to find out who killed Chihiro!
: To be exact...not quite.

Huh? Not...quite?

: What do you mean by that, Byakuya? "To be exact...not quite."
: Certainly I want to reveal Chihiro's killer, but more precisely...

: I want to discover the true identity of Genocide Jack.

: Then...you really think...? You truly believe Genocide Jack is the one that killed Chihiro?

: Absolutely. I have no doubt that [Genocide Jack] is the culprit in this case. And I have a [basis] to believe that. I assure you, Genocide Jack is one of us.

> Genocide Jack

: That murderous fiend is...Genocide Jack, right?
: There's nobody else it could be.

: A murderous fiend, who kills again and again using a bizarre and brutal method... They're like a ghost, attacking suddenly then slipping away before the police can catch up to them. And what nickname did the Internet give to this mysterious serial killer?
: Genocide Jack... They say he's killed thousands of people. But that's gotta be an urban legend... Still, could one of us really be a demented, psychotic killer like that?
: You're not wrong to wonder. But words mean little right now. I have something that will prove it. And I can show you.

> basis

: Is there really proof...?

: There's somewhere I'd like to take you. This will provide all the evidence you need. Evidence that Genocide Jack is the one that killed Chihiro!

Evidence... Does something like that really...?

???: Ah! Hey you two!

: Big trouble! Need your help!
: We're busy. Leave us alone!
: But it's an emergency...! Emergency! C'mon, please! You gotta help me!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Appreciating the new presentation. Looking forward to see how much faster it loads come next page. :)

E: Also if you don't feel Monokuma would tell someone to get his poo poo together, maybe don't write him a line where he tells someone to get his poo poo together? "Get your poop together" is beyond infantile.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 3, 2015

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I love Togami's attitude through this whole thing.

"You. You did some cool detective stuff last time there was a murder. You're mine. Do cool detective stuff for me, you little poo poo. Okay? Okay. Now get a move on. Good boy."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"You. You did some cool detective stuff last time there was a murder. You're mine. Do cool detective stuff for me, you little poo poo. Okay? Okay. Now get a move on. Good boy."

Yeah, this guy has clearly mastered the art of entitlement. Not as smart as he thinks he is, but it's beneath him to admit otherwise.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Anyway, just gonna mention real quick that I'll be going back and editing the new portraits into previous updates over time. It will probably take some time to do them all because I obviously need to keep moving the thread forward but once done, the LP will be better off visually and that's what counts to me.

I'm getting a bit low on updates right now, the next few will probably be spaced out a bit to give myself enough time to finish writing the trial updates.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

AlphaKretin posted:

Appreciating the new presentation. Looking forward to see how much faster it loads come next page. :)

E: Also if you don't feel Monokuma would tell someone to get his poo poo together, maybe don't write him a line where he tells someone to get his poo poo together? "Get your poop together" is beyond infantile.

I love the difference between the two Monokumas (Monokumae? Monokumodes? Monokumi? Monokuma?) because it fits perfectly with their respective voices. Japanese Monokuma is your evil grandma and makes wacky grandma jokes like the whole dating sim flag joke earlier, English Monokuma is basically 12 years old and says things like "get your poop together."

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

It pisses me off what a drat pushover Makoto is. I would have given just about anything to hear him say "no, go to hell" when Byakuya solicited him.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Speedball posted:

Yeah, this guy has clearly mastered the art of entitlement. Not as smart as he thinks he is, but it's beneath him to admit otherwise.

This sequence with Togami is quite funny. He believes he's Sherlock and we're Watson; maybe Poirot and cpt. Hastings is the better comparison, Sherlock never was this lovely.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Omobono posted:

This sequence with Togami is quite funny. He believes he's Sherlock and we're Watson; maybe Poirot and cpt. Hastings is the better comparison, Sherlock never was this lovely.

Togami to Poirot is a ludicrous comparison, but Naegi to Hastings is loving spot on. "Good lord!"

Everyone should watch the ITV Poirot adaptations. I will never stop plugging then when mystery series come up in SA threads.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Fedule posted:

Togami to Poirot is a ludicrous comparison, but Naegi to Hastings is loving spot on. "Good lord!"

Everyone should watch the ITV Poirot adaptations. I will never stop plugging then when mystery series come up in SA threads.

This, absolutely this. I miss the days when fanfiction meant writing an episode where Poirot plays Monopoly with Hastings and gets really loving angry at it.

We were so innocent back then :unsmith:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is it bad if I have no idea what the difference in presentation is supposed to be?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Fedule posted:

Hastings is the platonic average Brit, Naegi is the platonic average anime high school student.
Goddammit, I didn't even think about it, I was just thinking how badly Togami was treating Naegi.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Is it bad if I have no idea what the difference in presentation is supposed to be?

The character portraits now show their actual expressions instead of just being a generic face-forward shot. It saves a lot on FP having to show new poses in screenshot form.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, cool. Thanks for clarifying that.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Fedule posted:

Yeah, Kirigiri's closer to Poirot because she never tells anybody anything because she's the best. I'm gonna say that Togami is the Nero Wolfe to Makoto's Archie Goodman.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ah, cool. Thanks for clarifying that.

Additionally, less noticeable, I increased the size of all the portraits from 48x48 to 64x64 to give them better detail.

I looked up Poirot, it sounds interesting. I might have to see if it's available to watch online since I think ITV on demand is unavailable outside the UK. I know I tried to watch the Thunderbirds reboot on it but had no success.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
It's on Netflix.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

alcharagia posted:

(Monokumae? Monokumodes? Monokumi? Monokuma?)

This is pretty late and incredibly :goonsay:, but since you seem to be curious, Monokuma would be it's own plural, being a Japanese word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Monokuminites?

• Locked thread