Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Waaaaaaaaaay late to the ball on this but I missed the last few updates.

quote:

I'm sure someone in the thread will mention what it was in the original LP or original Japanese and a possibly better word.

Somehow the term "Alter" has gotten increasingly common in the term used to signify the different "People" that bodies with DiD have in their heads.

Alter also just so happens to be 5 letters long, and not have the connotation of a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT loving MENTAL CONDITION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
So Jill's thing is making weird allusions to pasta sauces, eh? I suppose that's passable as a gimmick. Though to be honest, judging by the color of the blood, I'd say that this murder was served more with Smuckers than Ragu.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

That Big Mac nickname is pretty great.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

TWIST FIST posted:

That Big Mac nickname is pretty great.

What weirds me out about it is that in order to call Naegi that, Genocide Jill had to turn to the left and lean her head really far out in order to see around Yamada's fat gut and tell Naegi that he was a Big Mac.

Then again, maybe she already has Yamada pegged as Baconator.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

In pretty sure it's supposed to be because Makoto which, uh

Sure, whatever Jack. You're insane anyway.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hifumi's more like a Triple Bypass Burger really.

Courtesy of the aptly named Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I only knew about this game by name alone, but reading through so far makes me want to go buy a Vita today, because this is a video game that I would enjoy to play. Really enjoying the LP so far!!

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FPzero posted:

Hifumi's more like a Triple Bypass Burger really.

Courtesy of the aptly named Heart Attack Grill in Las Vegas.

Either that or the Triple Triple Burger from Wayback Burger.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Why is that a thing? What reasonable individual would do that?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: What, the difference between the cases? You want me to explain it again!?
: When I want to kill, I use my very own special scissors! And I use those same scissors to arrange the body!
: But...Chihiro was suspended with... It was some kind of rope, was it not?
: That's right! It absolutely was!
: Then there must be something very fishy indeed about that rope...!
: Hey, Byakuya! Where'd you get it from, huh?
: I'd never seen that rope before in my life... Obviously somebody else must have had it hidden away somewhere.

The proof that Byakuya did it is hidden within the rope...? I guess it's possible. But first... The item she had been bound with was used *like* rope...but was it actually a rope?

: We saw this before. The "rope" actually had a plug on it! And we know where it came from too.

> Shoot "I'd never seen that rope" with "Library Desk Lamp"

: Actually, I'm pretty sure you *have* seen it before. Because you see, that rope--or should I say...

: ...that extension cord?
: What!? An extension cord!?

: Byakuya--you've used the extension cord in the library more than once, haven't you? And the same extension cord that was in the library all this time...

: ...went missing after the murder!

: And there's no way someone who uses that extension cord as much as you do wouldn't discover that fact!
: Then Byakuya must be the one who took the extension cord! I can't imagine any other possibility!
: ... That's really what you think? Then your conclusion is something like this...? I killed Chihiro in the girls locker room, then hung her up and wrote that bloody message. I intentionally made it look like Genocide Jack was behind it.
: Is that about right?

... He's doing it again... He's totally calm, totally unconcerned. As if he's not even involved. Wait...not even involved...?

: What's wrong? I asked you if you think that's what happened.
: Hell yes that's what happened! So that's it, right? Byakuya's the killer!
: I don't disagree with not disagreeing!
: He kept calling this a game, right? So he'd be totally willing to do something like this to "win"!
: ...
: Um, sorry but could we hold on just a second? I...I think we need to talk about this a little more.

: Huh? Do we really need to? We've already decided who did it.
: I know, but still... There's something that's still bothering me...
: Is that right? And what, pray tell, is still bothering you? I killed her in the girls locker room, then disguised my crime. Specifically, I dressed it up to make it look like it was the work of a homicidal psychopath. What about all that "bothers" you?

Wait... What was that just now? Something's not right... Byakuya's remarks just now... There's something in there that concerns me.

> The scene of the crime

: You say you killed Chihiro in the girls locker room, right? But are you sure about that? Isn't it possible that the murder took place somewhere else?
: How disappointing... What kind of question is that? Even in the world of disappointments, this is a true letdown.
: She was found dead in the girls locker room. There is absolutely no question about that. How could the scene of the crime have been anywhere else?
: Well...I think it's entirely possible that she was killed somewhere else, then carried there later along with the rest of the murder scene!
: The...rest of the murder scene? ...

: That was awfully specific. Please tell me you have a reason for saying all of that.
: I believe I do...

Hey, Byakuya...did you just...? Did I just take you off-guard? When the story suddenly moved to the crime scene, Byakuya, who'd been so confident up till now... Maybe Byakuya never even realized that the actual scene of the crime could have been somewhere else.

: Hey, don't just move on without permission! What do you mean she was killed somewhere else!?
: Come on, Makoto! If there's any chance the murder took place somewhere else, let's see the proof!

Evidence that shows the murder took place somewhere else... I need to just focus on those things that got switched!

: Didn't it seem odd that the posters in each locker room seemed to match what you'd expect to find in the other locker room?

> Present "Two Locker Room Posters"

: The proof that she was killed somewhere else is...the poster that's hanging in each locker room.
: Your proof...is some posters?

: The poster in the girls locker room was a picture of a big-boobed supermodel. But don't you think that's kind of strange? Why would the girls locker room have a poster like that?
: I bet those massive jugs of hers were totally fake! Kyeehahaha!

: Meanwhile, the boys locker room had a poster of the super popular boy band Tornado. Again, that doesn't really seem to belong in a boys locker room.
: So you're saying that maybe the posters were switched?
: And there's one other thing I noticed about the locker rooms... You know what I'm talking about, right Sakura?

: You're referring to my protein coffee, aren't you?
: ...Protein coffee?
: While I was in the girls locker room earlier, I spilled some protein coffee on the carpet. But I noticed that after the murder, the stain had been totally scrubbed away.

No. It's not that the stain was scrubbed away... It was moved...

: We found a brown stained carpet in the boys locker room.

> Present "Boys Locker Room Carpet"

: The stain on the girls locker room carpet wasn't scrubbed away. In fact, I found it on the boys locker room carpet.
: That's...definitely the stain from my protein coffee!
: Then...does that mean that the carpets were switched, too? But...why would anyone do that?
: To move the murder scene from one locker room to the other. It's certainly plausible, don't you think?
: What!?
: In other words, in order to completely swap the scene of the crime the bloodstained poster and carpet were moved along with the dead body.
: By doing this, the killer was able to change the entire room where the murder took place.

: I can certainly follow your reasoning, but...why would the culprit bother doing that?
: Huh?

: Why would they go through all that trouble of switching the scene of the crime? Actually, an even bigger question... If the murder did take place in the boys locker room then how did Chihiro get in the boys locker room in the first place?
: Ah--!
: To get into the locker rooms, you have to swipe you e-Handbook across the card reader device. But Chihiro's handbook should have only allowed her access to the girls locker room.
: She had no way to get into the boys locker room to begin with.
: No, she DID have a way! And I can tell you what it was!
: I highly doubt that.

: Shut up! I'm telling you, I know how she could have done it!

Is he right...? Could Chihiro really have gotten into the boys locker room somehow?

: Is it really possible? Could Chihiro really have gotten into the boys locker room somehow?
: Ah! I've got it!
: She must have hacked her e-Handbook! She was the Ultimate Programmer, after all. I'm sure that would've been no problem for her!
: No, I don't think that's it... She used the thing that was in the main hall!
: Huh? What thing?
: I'm talkin' about Leon's handbook, of course! If she had that, she could get into the boys locker room no problem!

Theoretically, if Chihiro was able to use Leon's handbook, she could get into the boys locker room. But that's *if* she was able to use it.

: We checked the handbooks and we couldn't get Leon's to turn on. Sayaka's and Junko's were working though.

> Shoot "Leon's handbook" with "Broken e-Handbook"

: No, I don't think Chihiro used Leon's handbook.
: Why not!?
: Because Leon's handbook was broken.
: Oh! Well then yeah, I guess that'd be pretty impossible, huh?
: I am struck silent by how quickly you gave up...
: Plus, isn't there a regulation against using someone else's handbook?

: Actually, the rule states that loaning your handbook is prohibited. It says nothing about borrowing one. In other words, you could borrow a dead person's handbook all you want, and you'd be safe.
: Yup yup yup! Hit the nail square on the noggin!
: Of course, if it were broken, that wouldn't make any sense anyway...
: So then, she must have hacker hers like I said! She used her Ultimate Programmer skills and--!

: Bzzt! You can't fix an e-Handbook. The instant you open one up, a security buzzer starts blaring!
: So if she didn't use Leon's handbook, and she didn't modify her own handbook...
: ...Maybe Mr. Naegi's initial assumptionis just...wrong?
: It seems like there's no way she coulda got into the boys locker room, so I guess so...
: Okay then, I vote for Byakuya!

Is that it, then? Chihiro was killed in the girls locker room, and Byakuya's the one who did it? Really? But still...I don't know what else I can do...

: ...Hold on a second. I agree with you, though. I think you're on the right track.
: What the--? You finally decide to open your mouth, and *that's* what you've got to say? There's no way she could get in the boys locker room, right!? So--!
: Why are you so sure she couldn't get in? There still one other way she could have gained access.
: ...What!?
: What are you talking about!? What other way is there!?
: Well, to explain that, why don't we take a little break from the trial? I'd like you all to come see something.

: Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait! Just what do you think you're doing!?
: Don't worry. This'll make the whole trial more exciting. I'm sure that thought must please you?
: Huh? It'll make things more exciting?
: Well alright then! I declare an official class trial recess!
: Huh? For real?
: Now then, what is it you wanna show us? It better not be boring, or I'll be VERY unhappy...!

: Oh, I have no doubt it'll meet your lofty expectations. So, shall we go?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 19, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, boy. This is going to get depressing, isn't it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

And, of course, Kyouko knew this the whole time. :what: I'm with Mondo:

FPzero posted:

: What the--? You finally decide to open your mouth, and *that's* what you've got to say?

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 13, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Actually I'm pretty sure we know this one too, it just hasn't come up in the trial yet and a picture/scene is worth 1,000/10,000 words!

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
I do like how our Protagonist occasionally adopts the "You know what I'm talking about, don't you <person>?".

I really can't figure out Byakuya's angle on this. If he is the killer and they vote on him, he dies. If he's not the killer and they vote on him he (and everyone else) dies. Maybe he's going for some sort of crazy-rear end gambit where he convinces Monokuma to kill him last, then pull a "by convincing everyone to vote for me and be wrong I got them killed (by you) and now no one's left to catch me so I didn't get caught either. I'm free to go now, right?"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's also possible Byakuya feels so entitled/important that the possibility of them actually voting for him if he isn't the culprit is nill in his mind so why care at all. He seems to dislike Toko's affections so I suspect he would've revealed that secret regardless of how the next killing occurred just to drive her off. He seems more like an uncaring jerk more than some convoluted genius to me is what I'm saying.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Buried alive posted:

I do like how our Protagonist occasionally adopts the "You know what I'm talking about, don't you <person>?".

I really can't figure out Byakuya's angle on this. If he is the killer and they vote on him, he dies. If he's not the killer and they vote on him he (and everyone else) dies. Maybe he's going for some sort of crazy-rear end gambit where he convinces Monokuma to kill him last, then pull a "by convincing everyone to vote for me and be wrong I got them killed (by you) and now no one's left to catch me so I didn't get caught either. I'm free to go now, right?"

Or he's trying to get someone to reveal that they're smart enough to see through everything and pick them as the next target. Kyoko's been keeping her cards close to her chest, prefering to prompt others into finding stuff out that she already knew. Now that Byakuya's got himself in the firing line she's having to be a little less subtle about how much she knows about the situation. Either its a risky shot to get something out of Kyoko or

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's also possible Byakuya feels so entitled/important that the possibility of them actually voting for him if he isn't the culprit is nill in his mind so why care at all. He seems to dislike Toko's affections so I suspect he would've revealed that secret regardless of how the next killing occurred just to drive her off. He seems more like an uncaring jerk more than some convoluted genius to me is what I'm saying.
He's being an idiot. He's still a teenager.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Buried alive posted:

You could easily explain it away as hubris, but given this game's flair for the dramatic I've got a feeling that he made some secret backroom deal with Monokuma where one of the stipulations is that he get pegged for the murder.

I'm really disappointed in the trials in this game so far, it seems like the trials are all linear and it's impossible to pick the wrong person, which in the wide world of whodunit!? is pretty much the cardinal sin.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Lacedaemonius posted:

I'm really disappointed in the trials in this game so far, it seems like the trials are all linear and it's impossible to pick the wrong person, which in the wide world of whodunit!? is pretty much the cardinal sin.

talkin jack about phoenix wright are you

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

So before I even knew what was happening, the class trial had been put on hold... We headed off, with Kyoko in the lead. And where she took us was...

: ...The girls locker room?
: We've already searched this place top to bottom! What are you trying to pull, missy!?
: I'd like you to examine the victim's body, one more time.

You want to check it again...?

: Be sure to examine the entire body very carefully. Take your time.
: Examine her...carefully? Like, using our hands?
: Nowaynowaynowaynoway!
: It's...probably best if I don't run my hands all over a girl's dead body...
: I-It's not that I'm creeped out or anything. It's just...based on religious grounds, ya know...?

: ...Very well. I'll do it.
: B-But you're a girl. You shouldn't have to touch a dead body. Just let one of the boys do it...
: No, it's okay. I think Chihiro would rather have a girl examine her. So just leave this to me...
: S-Sakura...

: What is this, some kind of secret girl-on-girl action!? Is that what you two are about!?
: That's not it at all! Stop screwin' around!

: Okay, here I go... I'm sorry, Chihiro. Please excuse the intrusion...

Putting her hands together in a brief prayer, Sakura then began to quietly examine her body.

: Be sure to check her entire body, and I believe we will solve this particular mystery.
: Her entire body...? I know you say that, but...

Music fades out.

: What--? This is... What does this m--?

: Huaaaaaaahhh!
: What is it!?

: Not possible... It's not possible!

Sakura's eyes were staring wildly at Chihiro's lifeless form. Her massive frame trembled.

: This...this girl is...!
: Is what!?

: ...is a boy!
: Ah, I see. So "she" was actually a he. Interesting. Thank you for confirming this fact.
: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?
: ...You're joking, right?
: I wouldn't joke about this!
: Th-Th-Then... Then it's really true!?

: Chihiro was...a guy?
: Hmm? Oh what, you guys didn't know? Heck, I knew that right off the bat!
: Chihiro Fujisaki was totally a guy!
: Th-Then...he was a cross-dresser!? Now I'm REALLY on fire! I wish I HAD killed him!

: So that's what Kyoko wanted to show everyone, huh? Interesting...
: Puhuhu. Yes, that certainly does make things much more exciting!
: Now let's ride this wave of excitement back to the courtroom and get back to the trial!

: Ahem! I do apologize for keeping you waiting. Now then, let's resume the class trial! We've all just learned of the shocking revelation that Chihiro was actually a boy! Let's pick up from there!
: Yes, well...I don't know his reason for hiding it, but the fact is, Chihiro was not a girl, but a boy.

To think that Chihiro...was actually a guy. The thought had never even crossed my mind...

: And because the victim was male, he would have had no problem gaining access to the boys locker room.

: Assuming his handbook did, in fact, list his gender as male...then yes, that would be true.
: Of course his handbook said he was a boy! He dressed like a girl, but he was a boy through and through!
: So then, there should be no issue with Makoto's initial assertion... The victim was killed in the boys locker room, and was then later moved to the girls locker room. And the killer could have easily used Sayaka or Junko's handbook to get into the girls locker room.
: So Chihiro really was killed in the boys locker room!?

: I still don't understand the motive for moving the body, but...yes, that does seem plausible.
: Well...I must admit, I did find it rather odd... I knew he felt a little...off. There was a certain incongruity to his "female" body.
: This is a most titillating situation!
: So now everything has been connected. All the mysteries have finally become clear.

: Okay, well, connected or clear or whatever... We still think *you're* the killer, remember?
: Hmhm. Very interesting. This has become very interesting indeed...
: Ahh, he's off in his own little world...
: What about you, Makoto? After everything we've learned, do you still think Byakuya's the killer?
: Well, without a doubt Byakuya's the one that made Chihiro's death look like Genocide Jack did it.

: But...but I... I think he might not actually be the killer after all.
: What? But aren't you the one who accused him in the first place?
: He just seems to be too...easygoing about all this. Like he's enjoying us solving the mystery. The way he's acting, it makes it seem like it doesn't have anything to do with him.
: And you think that might be because it *doesn't* have anything to do with him?
: Plus, the evidence he left behind was a little too...how can I put it? Overt. He consciously chose to use the extension cord, knowing it could connect him to the murder. At least, that's how I see it...
: And Byakuya, when you found out the murder took place in the boys locker room, it seemed to rattle you. And then again when you found out Chihiro was actually a guy... If you really were the killer, that stuff wouldn't have had any effect on you.

: So that's your thinking, huh? Well, it bothers me that you don't have more concrete reasons, but...
: It's fine. I guess I'll mark it as correct, for the time being.
: Mark it as...correct?
: He's right. I am not the culprit. I just happened to come across the corpse in the girls locker room, and decided to alter it.

: Are you loving with us right now...?
: No, I am not...effing with you right now. I'm telling you the truth.
: Well I find it very hard to believe!
: Go ahead, find it very hard to believe. You're free to be executed along with the rest of us.
: If you're really telling the truth, then...why? Why'd you do that to his body?
: My reasons hardly matter right now. Uncovering the culprit is much more important, wouldn't you say?
: Now then...if it wasn't me, who was it?
: W-Well...I don't think I can say for sure without talking about it a little more.

: We're seriously gonna keep going? We're all good, aren't we? I thought it was clear Byakuya did it!
: No, I'm with Makoto. If there's any doubt whatsoever, we need to explore every possibility. Because if we're wrong, we all die here.
: ...That's true. Very well then, I'm with you, too.
: drat straight! Count me in!
: Do you not have a mind of your own!?
: Of course I do! What am I, an ant or something'?

: Anyway, let's discuss this all as a group one more time. We still have to make our decision.
: That's very true...
: Our lives are all on the line...
: Excellent! Then shall we resume our game of hide and seek?

But if Byakuya didn't do it then who's the real killer? Who murdered Chihiro? There's one thing we can be sure that we know about the killer...

> The killer is a guy

Since the crime scene was the boys locker room, you would need a boy's handbook to get in... Since Leon's handbook is apparently broken, the killer would have had to use their own. In other words...it had to have been a guy. But that's still not enough... I need to find some more clues.

: Isn't there a single clue that might lead us to who did it?
: Well, clues are one thing, but...
: Did nobody get a look at the killer!?
: I'm sure is someone saw the killer, they woulda said something by now...
: Perhaps someone saw the victim at some point. Even that might be enough for now...
: Yeah, all we need right now is any kinda new info.
: It's over... It's all over...! You wanna know who saw the victim? The killer! And only the killer... And it's not like they're just gonna turn themselves in... Game over, man! Game over!
: Hyaaaah! No! Not game over!

Not only do we have no info on the killer, but nobody even saw the victim before he died... But...is that actually true?

: We spoke with someone during the investigation that said they had seen Chihiro last night!

> Shoot "And only the killer" with "Celeste's Account"

: I shot the weak spot with the Silencer in the video before firing the Truth Bullet, making me lose 10 seconds. This was entirely demonstrative and not at all an accident.

: I believe someone else did see the victim before he was murdered. What do you think, Celeste?
: Now that you mention it, yes. I did see him.
: Huh? Really?
: Oh, but I suppose only Makoto knows about this.
: The rest of you had no idea, did you? That is why you're all making such ugly noises.
: Whatever, just hurry up and tell us!
: It was last night, right before nighttime. I saw Chihiro...in the dormitory warehouse.

: I saw him stuffing a track jacket into a duffel bag. And then, I assume, he headed off to exercise.

: A track jacket and a duffel bag? But we didn't find anything like that at the murder scene!
: It seems likely that the culprit destroyed them to get rid of any evidence...
: And that's when he said something that struck me as rather odd...

: Well...I'd better get going. I'm kind of in a hurry.

: Chihiro told me he was "in a hurry." But why would he be in a hurry? Only if someone were waiting for him, I should think.
: So Mr. Fujisaki was on his way to meet with someone, and then they were going to work out together...?
: But Hina and I had invited him to exercise with us plenty of times, and he always declined...

: Probably cuz he was afraid you'd find out the secret he was hiding, right?
: Which means that conversely, he must have trusted whoever he was meeting with very much. Enough so that he was willing to risk his secret being revealed...
: Uhuhu! What a marvelous friendship!
: The point is, whoever he met up with is the culprit, right? So we just gotta figure out who it was!
: But knowing what we know, I can't even guess...

: ...No, you already have what you need to make the connection.
: Huh...?
: You know who the killer is.
: S-Seriously!?
: Wh-Who is it!? Who's the killer!?
: Think back to the track jacket and duffel bag the killer disposed of. Focus on the details of these items, and it should become obvious who was waiting for him.
: ...Are you sure about that?

: You really think we can figure out who did it based on two pieces of evidence that we don't have?

: What, you wanna track down some fingerprints or something?
: Even if we had the equipment for that, we wouldn't know how to use it!
: As was noted, the evidence is already gone. There's nothing to get fingerprints *from*.
: Maybe, but we *can* make certain inferences, if we just take the time to talk it out.

: Easy for you to say... But fine--Celeste, did you notice anything special about the bag or jacket?
: The bag was...just a normal duffel bag from the warehouse.
: All the bags in there are the same, so I can't imagine what would make that one special...
: Well, if I remember right, there was a decent variety of tracksuits to choose from... Do you think there might be some connection between the culprit and Chihiro's jacket?
: Perhaps. Let's explore that, and talk a bit more about the jacket he took.

Does Chihiro's track jacket really hold some clue about the killer? Somehow...it's really hard to believe...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Aug 19, 2016

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

alcharagia posted:

talkin jack about phoenix wright are you

Phoenix Wright cases are rarely focus on the "Whodunnit" stage, it's usually pretty obvious quite early. The hard part is connecting the dots.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The reveal that started a million pointless arguments.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
chihiro is probably my second-favorite character and the fact that he dies so fast made me unhappy

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't think this is a change that the translation made, but I find it a bit odd that everyone instantly and perfectly adapts to Chihiro's true gender* and never accidentally uses the wrong pronoun, even a quick "she- er, he...". Hell I already knew this twist and I keep almost accidentally writing "she".

*I'm pretty sure Chihiro was just cross-dressing and not transgender so the terms are roughly interchangeable here, at least I think.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Phoenix Wright cases are rarely focus on the "Whodunnit" stage, it's usually pretty obvious quite early. The hard part is connecting the dots.

The Edgeworth Investigations focus more on that and it's the lesser reason why I think those games are the most compelling out of the Pheonix Wright stuff (the primary reasons being that they're actually game-ey and you're not shackled to Pheonix's contractual dim-wittedness.)

That said, Byakuya is an rear end but in it's own way this serves as a neat lesson for everyone: that they were able to arrive at the truth despite his meddling (which means further meddling is going to have to be even better than what he did.)

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Byakuya's a nerd. Give that dork a wedgie.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
" Th-Then...he was a cross-dresser!? Now I'm REALLY on fire! I wish I HAD killed him!"

This line would be loving terrifying if it weren't for the particular serial killer predilections of Jack, which make it merely disturbing.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Byakuya's a nerd. Give that dork a wedgie.

Byakuya strikes me as the kind of guy who'd spin around and snap someone's neck the moment they got into reach, and he'd know exactly which places on their head to grab them, where he had to position his elbows to secure their shoulders, and how far he had to twist. For that matter, the Togami Family probably had him practice on training dummies or live servants.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Ignoring the the ones where they literally give it away, the only ones I could say are really obvious early on are 2-2, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-4 and 5-3. That's about 5 cases, give or take a few I'm missing, most others either have the murderer not show up until a good deal into the trial, or make it a big twist. And I'm really, really tempted to take 4-4 out of those because goddamn is the opening unsubtle.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Quoting myself because I managed to call something correctly.

Buried alive posted:

Never played or seen anything about this before and I've been marathoning the thread. Now that I'm caught up and with various hints at a twist being dropped, time for speculation! No spoiler tags because hell if I know what's going on.

Is the twist here that Chihiro (that's the murder victim, yes?) is actually a super-feminine guy? I'm guessing that was their secret, someone found out about it due to the locker room segregation and one or both parties flipped their poo poo and now Chihiro is dead. I'm actually inclined to pin the blame on Taka or Mondo (Breaking gender norms is a huge offense/No way would I be attracted to a dude) and Mondo really fits with the supposed murder weapon, but that doesn't explain all this Genocide Jack stuff. Still, that twist explains basically everything about Chihiro's behavior leading up to their demise.

I'm less sure about the murderer. Psychic-guy is my prime choice at the moment because he's acting a little strange (in a no-I-totally-didn't-commit-murder sort of way) and he knew about the E-handbooks. You'd need one of the girls' handbooks to get into the girl's locker room to move the body. If I'm remembering right, Psychic-guy and rear end in a top hat (I'm going to refer to Byakuya as that from now on, because seriously, gently caress that guy) are the only two who we can confirm knew about the dead people's handbooks being in the main hall, and we know it wasn't rear end in a top hat, so...Psychic-guy. Of course that also means I have no clue where this tracksuit shenanigans is coming from or where it's going, but..meh, what can you do? :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Now that the twist for this case is out there, people that actually know Japanese- is "Chihiro" a gender-neutral name the same way that something like "Jamie" is in English? I was always curious about that, it would have been a neat little detail to fit with the rest of his character.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

C-Euro posted:

Now that the twist for this case is out there, people that actually know Japanese- is "Chihiro" a gender-neutral name the same way that something like "Jamie" is in English? I was always curious about that, it would have been a neat little detail to fit with the rest of his character.

From what I understand, it's usually feminine, but can be used for males. For an English equivalent I'd probably say something like Taylor or Shannon. Technically unisex, but you tend to see it in one more than the other.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
Boy, I remember the back and forth from the first thread before this twist. It's hilarious in retrospect, but at the time, the debate about Chihiro's gender was pretty intense. Almost stupidly so.

Then the reveal happened. Good times.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
If I didn't know who the endgame antagonist was before the LP started I'd be suspecting Kyoko at this point. I bet she spends all her free time manipulating ant colonies and pulling the legs off spiders.

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Byakuya strikes me as the kind of guy who'd spin around and snap someone's neck the moment they got into reach, and he'd know exactly which places on their head to grab them, where he had to position his elbows to secure their shoulders, and how far he had to twist. For that matter, the Togami Family probably had him practice on training dummies or live servants.

This but he panics because all of his knowledge is academic and he has no idea how things actually work in the real world.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Blastinus posted:

Boy, I remember the back and forth from the first thread before this twist. It's hilarious in retrospect, but at the time, the debate about Chihiro's gender was pretty intense. Almost stupidly so.

Then the reveal happened. Good times.

I thought the debate was whether Togami or *spoilers* was the culprit and after this point half the thread got mad about how stupid Togami was. The only argument about Chihiro's gender I remember was when posters started discussing the killer's motive. Am I misremembering?

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

whitehelm posted:

I thought the debate was whether Togami or *spoilers* was the culprit and after this point half the thread got mad about how stupid Togami was. The only argument about Chihiro's gender I remember was when posters started discussing the killer's motive. Am I misremembering?

The debate specifically was over the ID card gymnastics necessary to get Chihiro into the boys' locker room if he was a girl. Since Leon's ID was broken or missing, and the culprit wasn't allowed to share his or her own, this one guy came up with the theory of Chihiro's gender while a number of other people countered with ways it could work.

I mostly remember that because I was one of those dudes on the other end.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hey so I'll put up the next update tomorrow. Like many Games subforum posters, Fallout 4 has grabbed me and won't let go.

alcharagia posted:

chihiro is probably my second-favorite character and the fact that he dies so fast made me unhappy

You and me both. :(

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How did Chihiro refer to him/herself in Japanese?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

How did Chihiro refer to him/herself in Japanese?

His first person pronoun of choice was "boku", which I guess is kind of a hint although there are plenty of other female Anime characters of the same personality trope who also use it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Also, could we have explored Chihiro's room and find the tool kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Also, could we have explored Chihiro's room and find the tool kit?

The dorm rooms are locked and with the occasional plot exception like Sayaka you only enter other characters' rooms as the backdrop for their final free time event.

• Locked thread