Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think if you saw a glowing human head in a locker in the middle of the night while sleep-deprived, thinking it's a ghost might be a reasonable reaction. Don't be so harsh on Aoi, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

Wait, when was Sakura last referred to as 'Ogre'? I feel that came up much more often in the original version.

Nah, IIRC only Hagakure consistently referred to her that way. She was Oogami-san to most people and Sakura-chan to Asahina. Syo probably had a couple of other nicknames for her too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So it's just him that's a massive jerk. What a jerk! This school is full of bullies, get me outta here!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
Hagakure is a waste of space in general, really. He's not especially funny or even that good at his chosen talent either. Granted, having an actually skilled fortune teller would probably ruin the mystery entirely, but he's oblivious to the point where he's not even good at telling the present, let alone the future.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
He's not even a good shyster, which is the sole real world application of fortune telling. He wasted all his fortune on a glass ball.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
He is probably the closest to being a Super High School Level Drop Out really. :downsrim:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hiro/Hagakure is actually not too bad in this chapter. He tries taking on Taka's leadership responsibility and leads the group a little bit. He's still a gigantic scaredy-cat though, that never changes.

A couple interesting things I noticed in the bonus scene:

First, Toko's actually in the background of the picture despite not being with the group as these events unfolded. At the start of the next update she's not with them either and no one mentions her. I'm guessing it was an inconsistency on the game's part. Now why she's flying through the air in the background is another mystery. Maybe she just slipped on the soap. The second thing I noticed is that this is one of the few places in the game you can see Celeste's hair drills are missing. I don't know where it's specifically mentioned ingame (it might only be mentioned in artbooks or maybe in the FTEs I've never done with her) but her drill hair is actually fake. Apparently they are clip-on hairpieces and she just clips them onto her head.

Related, someone out there made a version of the bonus scene but with the male characters in the bath.

I can't help but laugh that it's Byakuya flying through the air this time. Such an undignified situation for him to be in.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Nah, he's got his arms folded and is looking chill as gently caress. Fella trips over the soap in style.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

FPzero posted:

The second thing I noticed is that this is one of the few places in the game you can see Celeste's hair drills are missing. I don't know where it's specifically mentioned ingame (it might only be mentioned in artbooks or maybe in the FTEs I've never done with her) but her drill hair is actually fake. Apparently they are clip-on hairpieces and she just clips them onto her head.

I wanted to comment on that, but I figured that she'd just somehow managed to cram her hair into that towel. Might have been a weird thing to assume, but considering this game's cartoonish logic, it was entirely within the realm of reason.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
To Oren (or anyone else who knows), what term does robo-chihiro use to refer to "Master" in the original game?

Also, I feel obligated to mention this, since it's the first thing I thought of (and did) after "*groan*" when I found out what was coming.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lacedaemonius posted:

To Oren (or anyone else who knows), what term does robo-chihiro use to refer to "Master" in the original game?

ご主人タマ (goshujin-tama). Using -tama instead of -sama here makes it incredibly cutesy.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

FPzero posted:

First, Toko's actually in the background of the picture despite not being with the group as these events unfolded. At the start of the next update she's not with them either and no one mentions her. I'm guessing it was an inconsistency on the game's part. Now why she's flying through the air in the background is another mystery. Maybe she just slipped on the soap. The second thing I noticed is that this is one of the few places in the game you can see Celeste's hair drills are missing. I don't know where it's specifically mentioned ingame (it might only be mentioned in artbooks or maybe in the FTEs I've never done with her) but her drill hair is actually fake. Apparently they are clip-on hairpieces and she just clips them onto her head.

You can see the soap also flying near Toko's foot.

Now I'm imagining a FTE where exactly one of those clip-on drills falls off.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Joke Update #1

FPzero posted:

A couple interesting things I noticed in the bonus scene:

Cyouni posted:

You can see the soap also flying near Toko's foot.

Now I'm imagining a FTE where exactly one of [Celeste's] clip-on drills falls off.

Bonus Free Time Event: Celestia Ludenburg

: ...
: This FTE gives you zero Skill Points.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 19, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

FPzero posted:

Bonus Free Time Event: Celestia Ludenburg

:five:

Virtue fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 7, 2015

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

School Mode Free Time Roundup #4: Junko Enoshima

: Today we'll be doing Junko's FTE chain. Her chain is three parts long and so far we haven't begun any of it so this update will include all three parts.

> Spend time together

: Oooh... Are you asking me out on a DATE!?
: Ahaha! You're such a little cutie!

I guess I went on a date with Junko... Junko and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Golden Airplane: A golden sculpture said to represent a place of spaceship. It was found in ruins in Colombia dated to around 1,000 CE, indicating to some that this represents an "OOPArt."

: Admit it, Makoto. You didn't just give me this to be nice, did you...?
: Well, whatever! Works for me!

Seeing Junko so pleased with something I gave her makes me happy!

: Listen, I just wanna make this clear right up front. Don't get the wrong idea about any of this, okay?
: Huh? What do you mean?
: I *mean* I hope you're not expecting anything from me. Gotta keep my virtue safe, ya know?
: ...Huh? Wait, you mean...? N-No, I'm not expecting anything like that.

: I figured. You're not that kinda guy, right? Looking at you, I get a total "omega male" vibe.
: But still, they say even the tamest guy can turn into a wild animal. So I figured I'd say it anyway.

A wild animal...?

: Don't ask me why, but I seem to attract guys like that.

It's probably because she's so, um...flashy...

: They call me up super late at night all like, "Hey, let's hang!" Like I don't know what that means!

"Let's hang." It sounds so simple... But why super late at night? And why's Junko seem annoyed at it...?

> Hang out

: Oh! You just meant hanging out.
: Huh? Did you just come to a decision or something?
: Oh, uh...no, forget it.

: Anyway, so we all get together, but the whole group's full of dumbasses! Keeping creepos like that away is like a full-time job, ya know?
: Yeah, it must be tough. I mean, you're a model and all, so you must be really popular.
: Wow, Makoto. You...actually get it.

: You *do* get it, right? You totally get me!
: I...do?
: Listen, maybe I can introduce you to some of my friends sometime! So, what's your type? You're super passive, right? So you need an aggressive girl!
: Yeah, I think that'd be good for you! Someone who'll go after you and not give up!
: N-No, I don't really...
: I'll find the perfect girl for you as soon as we get outta here! Ehehe! I hope you're as excited as I am! *leaves*

Junko seemed really excited as she walked away... I don't really get it, but...I guess she likes hanging out with me?

: This conversation gives us Skill Points +1.

: The next part takes place in the physics lab. I've skipped some text here because it was the same up to when I give her a present.

> Yes, definitely

Overflowing Lunch Box: A lunch box stuffed with rice, ginger, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, and more. It's meat-free, so you vegetarians out there are covered, too.

: This is just for me!?
: Heh-heh! Lemme give you a little peck on the cheek to say thanks!

I get the impression that she liked it. That's good...

: God, I am seriously freaking bored...! I'm gonna die... I'm gonna die from being so bored!
: I'm infected! I've got terminal boredom disease!
: I-Is it really that bad...?

: I just hate being bored. Hate it! I never noticed how much I hate it. But once we got trapped in here, it finally hit me!

That's...pretty recent.

: I'd rather be living homeless on the street than stuck in here!
: Homeless...?

: Yeah, you know! Like, the hobo life! I've done it before, ya know.
: You have!?
: Yeah. It's...a long story.
: And now you're a model!?
: Well...that's a long story, too.

How many "long stories" do you have...?

: Seriously, if I had to choose between staying here and being homeless again, gimme the street!
: I...guess I can understand that. I mean, you're probably in more danger here than there...

: Oh, hell no! Homelessness is totally dangerous! You never know when a pack of wild animals might show up.
: Wild animals...?

: Oh, I don't mean literally. I mean people who attack the weak, who want to hurt you. The world's full of animals like that, ya know?
: But I think having to live like that made me way stronger.

Hearing someone with actual experience talk like that really has a lot of weight to it...

: Sorry, that kinda got weird, huh? All I was trying to say is when the hell are we gonna get out of here!?

: Hey, whatever dumb bastard trapped us in here, are you listening!? When are you gonna let us OUT!? Just tell us what we gotta do to get out of here! Hell, you can even just tell me! I know how to keep a secret!
: Nothin', huh? Pisses me off...
: Well, I mean...there's no way they'd make it that easy.
: But listen...you're not thinking of doing anything...drastic, are you?
: Drastic? Oh, you mean the whole "kill someone" thing?

: Haha! Don't worry, I could never kill someone!
: What, do I look like I would? Do I seriously look like a killer!?
: N-No, that's not what I meant. Really, you don't...
: Right? I don't, right!? But anyway, are you saying you were worried about me? Gotta say, Makoto...that's kinda cute. You almost killed me with cuteness there!
: ...Huh?
: C'mon, I'm just screwing with you! You didn't take it serious, did you!? But ya know...there's something about you. I don't get sick of talking to you, like I do most people. Let's hang out again sometime, 'kay? Ehehe! *leaves*

There was something playful about the way Junko walked away.

: I...still don't get her.

Am I getting played somehow...?

: This unlocks the skill Trance. Apparently it makes it easier to get up to a higher tempo in Bullet Time Battles by reducing how large a combo you need to speed up. I have no clue how useful it actually is because I've never used it before but it doesn't sound particularly helpful.
: For the third part, School Mode put the conversation into a room we haven't seen yet so I'm just going to reuse the pictures from the physics lab.

: I don't mind hanging out. But you better keep me entertained!

I spent some time with Junko. Junko and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Rose In Vitro: A small rose stored inside a test tube. It's good for both hellos and farewells. In the language of flowers, a red rose means passionate love.

: Admit it, Makoto. You didn't just give me this to be nice, did you...?
: Well, whatever! Works for me!

Seeing Junko so pleased with something I gave her makes me happy!

: Hey, Makoto? Can I tell you something? I mean, you and you alone...
: Just me? What is it...?
: My true intentions.
: Huh...?
: To be honest, I'm kinda fed up with all this. We're all ultimates, right? So we get carried away and rush face-first into stuff... Even I have to wonder if it's okay to live like that...
: Are you thinking of quitting modeling or something?

: ...Dreams are meant to change as you grow up, right? Depending on where you're at--kindergarden, elementary school, junior high, high school...
: But I've had the same dream since I was a little kid, and I've been rushing toward it ever since. So I've never really had to think all that hard about my dreams.
: But what's wrong with that? It just means you still feel the same way about it, right?
: That's what I used to think. But if it doesn't change, your possibilities can't grow, right? That's how new opportunities are born.
: And up until now, I never did that. I never let my dreams grow... All I saw was that one dream. I put everything I had into that one narrow little world... I feel like there's so much more I could be doing that I'm not, and I don't like that feeling... So I think I'm going to start looking for it... Is it childish of me to think like that? Am I just being a baby?
: No, not at all... I'm the same way. I'm still trying to figure out what it is I want to do. And sometimes I feel like I'll never find it... I feel like maybe I'll spend the rest of my life looking for it... But I'm not sure it's even about finding it or not finding it. Maybe the important thing is that you're *looking* for it.

: Makoto, you... You actually sounded kinda cool just now!
: N-No, that's not what I was trying to--
: But you could be right.
: Getting lost can be a good thing! As long as you're looking for it, maybe that's enough to be happy...

: Yeah. I'm gonna remember what you said. Thanks, Makoto...
: S-Sure...

: In return, I promise that if I do decide to kill someone, it won't be you!
: D-Don't say scary stuff like that!
: Ehehe!

I'm glad I was able to talk to Junko like this. I think I understand her a lot better now... I feel like maybe we've finally become friends in the truest sense of the word.

: But before I can do what you said, I gotta get out of here first! So I'm definitely gonna find out how to get out...!

Maybe if she stopped yelling at nobody about how to get out, she'd find a way... Well, I guess it's okay. She can do things however she wants. After such a nice conversation with Junko, I went back to my room.

: This unlocks the skill Charisma. If you've taken damage during a trial, this skill will replenish more of your Influence Gauge than you usually get back from answering questions correctly. It's a useful skill if you're playing through the first time, except that to get it you basically have to know Junko has it from the start. You have to devote all three of the Free Times in Chapter 1 to her, which I doubt most newcomers would do. Good skill, badly hidden.
: Finishing Junko's FTEs gives you a star on her Report Card and a Playstation bronze trophy titled Memoirs of a Fashionista.

Junko Enoshima's Character Art

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I know I've nitpicked the translation every single update but in this case I mean it as more of a curiosity; is there no western equivalent to the whole "carnivore" thing, or did the translators find it objectionable in this game about teenagers brutally murdering each other?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

orenronen posted:

ご主人タマ (goshujin-tama). Using -tama instead of -sama here makes it incredibly cutesy.

Doesn't that imply a romantic relationship though? I have trouble imagining that even from Hifumi, nevermind Chihiro.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

I know I've nitpicked the translation every single update but in this case I mean it as more of a curiosity; is there no western equivalent to the whole "carnivore" thing, or did the translators find it objectionable in this game about teenagers brutally murdering each other?

I don't think there's a good equivalent encapsulated in a single word. Although 'passive' and 'agressive' seem a bit bland (it also kind of makes it tie in oddly with Monobear's completely unrelated use of the words, as if it were somehow thematic).

It is funny to see how much Junko flirts with Makoto.

One noticeable thing about the next trial: At this point, all the people who were a bit more likely to kill someone in the heat of the moment appear to be gone. Leon, Mondo, and even Junko were impetuous enough that driving them to murder would not have taken much. So now if a murder occurs, it's almost certainly premeditated, and a consequence of Monobear's plot. I suppose Syo/Jill really is very unstable, but having been revealed she's almost too obvious a killer.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Lacedaemonius posted:

Doesn't that imply a romantic relationship though? I have trouble imagining that even from Hifumi, nevermind Chihiro.

Not at all. Nowadays, goshujin-sama is mostly identified with Victorian maids and Akihabara maid cafes - this is what the waitresses call male customers in them (female customers usually get ojou-sama, which is kind of the female equivalent). It's mostly used in master-servant situations and, as I said, turning -sama into -tama makes it cutesy.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

Are you referring to the description of the meal? What's the nitpick vs. the Japanese version? Keep in mind I know zero Japanese so this is coming from an ignorant person's perspective.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Buried alive posted:

Are you referring to the description of the meal? What's the nitpick vs. the Japanese version? Keep in mind I know zero Japanese so this is coming from an ignorant person's perspective.

In the original, at least by Oren's translation, Junko offers to introduce Makoto to a "carnivore" friend of hers, that being a Japanese term for certain type of woman. Said translation of these scenes, with Oren's notes on the term, here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What would people mean by "Let's hang"?

OH RIGHT, HANGAR.

Naegi is not a bright boy.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Buried alive posted:

They're referring to how Junko describes Makoto as "passive" - she calls him Herbivore in Japanese, a guy who is indifferent to the idea of having a relationship or don't actively chase girls, while a "carnivore" woman is one who actively pursues relationships and makes the first move.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Junko free time events are my favourite of them all.
She's refusing to let the situation get her down, she's finding time to shamelessly flirt with Makoto and set him up with an alpha female "friend" (she's totally the friend).

And then Gungnir :smith:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

So.... a carnivore would in this case be sort of along the lines of the old term Maneater?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Carnivore women and herbivore men are terms that were in vogue in Japan 5 years ago, when the game was first published. There were dozens of "the problem with modern society" articles about it in newspapers and clickbait websites at the time.

So, yeah - carnivore women are women who speak their mind loudly, actively go out and seek men and make the first move. Herbivore men, which was the more problematic of the two as far as the stereotypical Japanese society was concerned, are men who are meek and shy and not aggressive.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I want to say the "Hang out/Hang glide/Hangar" is the analogue to some stupid pun about surfing in the original that gave Oren some trouble? I don't think we ever got around to this free time in the patch but I'd like to think I would have eventually gone from "surfing" to "hang ten" and then arrived at basically the same place as NISA, but with that instead of "Hangar".

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Fedule posted:

I want to say the "Hang out/Hang glide/Hangar" is the analogue to some stupid pun about surfing in the original that gave Oren some trouble? I don't think we ever got around to this free time in the patch but I'd like to think I would have eventually gone from "surfing" to "hang ten" and then arrived at basically the same place as NISA, but with that instead of "Hangar".
From the LP Archive:
I'm phone posting so no portraits and cobbled together formatting

orenronen posted:

Junko:They say, "Let's go sing together all night"... I know what they really want!

She means...

Late night public bath / Late night karaoke / Playing in the sea

TN:I failed miserably (it's a theme today) translating the wordplay here like I did in previous updates. Enoshima told Naegi what guys asked her in heavy colloquial speech. The "all-night" part was referred to as "Ooru", which comes from the English word "All". Incidentally, this is also how you pronounce "Oar" in Japanese. The Karaoke part also used a made-up verb. A guy like Naegi is very likely not to have any idea what she's talking about.

Doesn't really leave room for a translation that doesn't make the question comparatively simple, does it?

On another note I'm really enjoying all the discussion of the patch, I was really looking forward to it when I was reading through the archived thread and trying to deny how close I was getting to the end of the thread before the end of the game. :)

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 8, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The question should've been phrased in heavy slang. Cockney rhyming slang maybe?

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Carbon dioxide posted:

The question should've been phrased in heavy slang. Cockney rhyming slang maybe?

Hell, just do the whole game in it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Waffleman_ posted:

What would people mean by "Let's hang"?

OH RIGHT, HANGAR.

Naegi is not a bright boy.

I've noticed a trend of the multiple choice questions in this game usually being pretty obvious about what answer you're supposed to pick. I don't remember if that was always that case in the original Japanese or oren's translation though. The one about why Jill couldn't have killed Chihiro sticks out in my head since the answer probably relies on the Japanese player easily being able to tell that the names of her victims are all male. In NISA's translation though, they can't expect the player to necessarily be able to recognize that fact. I don't know if I could have without prior knowledge. So then they went ahead and did this:

She obviously wasn't the lover and Toko isn't friendly so there's only one choice left. What was probably a decent bit of putting two and two together in the original Japanese is reduced down to one very obvious answer here. Of course, the Japanese answers might be just as easy; I don't remember oren's translation.

If it's any consolation, I recall the second game's multiple-choice answers being more challenging and less obvious.

e: vvv Welp I guess everyone's at fault then. Either way this example stuck out as the most egregious one to me.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 8, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I just checked and Oren's translation is the same as the localized version (girl/lover/friend) so I guess the onus isn't on NISA for this one.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I guess sometimes the choices aren't meant to be hard, but to instead give Makoto the opportunity to faceplant and be an idiot.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Meanwhile, we heard the buzzing of busy voices growing louder. The girls had finished their baths, and joined us in the dining hall.

: Ahhh, man what a nice bath!
: Getting a chance to stretch out and relax after all this time was a true pleasure.
: Indeed.
: Normally, after a long bath I like to make myself a nice protein coffee, but...

: Sorry, no time for that!
: That's what I figured...
: We were just saying in the bath how it was about time for you to get up to something.
: After seeing how happy we were, an evil little monster like you would never let that last for long.

: Y-You're all so terrible to me...
: *Sniffle sniffle* Everyone's so cold and mean! Even after I got presents for you all!
: ...Presents!?
: Hmmm? Oh, have I got your attention? Puhuhu. Then let's head to the gym, where your presents await!
: No questions, no dilly-dallying! Get a move on, and everything will become clear! *leaves*

: Wh-What is it...? What are you scheming this time!?
: He's probably going to repeat the same thing again. Providing us with a motive to get things moving...
: ...Again?

: I don't want to... I don't want to do this anymore...
: Me either. I'm, like, totally traumatized...
: It's okay. We have Alter Ego. I'm sure he'll find something that'll help us. So for now...
: ...we just have to endure it, come what may.

With heavy feet, we made our way to the gym. But when we arrived, there was already someone waiting for us.

: To be kept waiting by the likes of you. Rest assured, if we had access to firearms, you'd all be dead.
: Byakuya...? Did you get here early?
: Did you forget how to walk? Is that why you're late? It's simple--right foot, left foot. Right foot...
: Hmhmhm. The same as always, I see. Her, on the other hand...

: Oh, she's back to her Debbie Downer self, huh?
: I heard what sounded like a sneeze, and she was back to her old self.
: So now she does from manic to depressive whenever she sneezes? Seems kinda late to add that into the mix...
: Why does e-everyone keep making fun of me...? I hope you all win the l-lottery and get hit by a b-bus...
: So when you wanna say something mean, *then* you can talk, huh?

: Anyway. It looks like everyone's here.
: Which means...

: It looks like everyone's here! So then, let's get started!
: Come on, out with it. What kind of motive have you prepared for us this time?
: Whatever you subject us to, we will not break.
: Yeah, that's right! We're not gonna lose to you ever again!
: Puhuhu... You don't have to get so defensive. Calm down! I've decided to change things up a bit this time. Up till now, I've been using the WOOSH of the North Wind to get you all moving.
: But sometimes you gotta use the Sun to light a fire under someone's butt! Ahh-hahaha!

: So without further ado, I give you...THIS!

: Ten million dollars! I've prepared this graduation present for whichever lucky student makes it out of here alive! Whaddya think? It's ten million bucks! Ten million smackaroos! It's like totally wowie wow wow, am I right!?

So that's the motive you've prepared, is it?

: Ten million dollars is...
: It's not nearly enough.

: When it comes to motives, money certainly is the gold standard, so to speak. Whether it's in a mystery novel, or the real world...
: B-But... There's no way we'd kill each other for money!
: She's right. You can't simply purchase a person's life.
: You can say ten million or however much, I don't give a crap! For serious!
: Yeah...they're all right... Whether it's ten million, or any other amount of money... No, not even just money. From now on, no matter what you do, we won't kill our friends!

: C'mon, stop trying to act tough.
: The most important thing is to live a pure and moral communal life! *leaves*

Monokuma disappeared, leaving his words onstage along with the massive sum of money...

: Th-There's nothing to worry about, right? Nobody would kill a friend...for money, right?
: Have you so quickly forgotten the lesson from last time? You can't judge others by your own standard.
: Y-Yeah, there might be someone here who's having m-money problems!
: Personally, I've earned over one million dollars from my gambling efforts. My life is...comfortable.
: H-Hifumi? What about y-you!?
: I'm a super popular content creator! I don't have any problem making enough to buy my comics and DVDs!
: Th-Th-Then...!

: Just stop. Pressing others about their personal finances is...ugly.
: U-U-U-Ugly!?
: Don't worry. Either way, whatever's going to happen will happen without warning. That is the nature of this game.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Mm, ahem, this is a school announcement. It is now 10 p.m. As such, it is officially nighttime. Soon the doors to the dining hall will be locked, and entry at that point is strictly prohibited. Okay then...sweet dreams, everyone! Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...

: It's that time already, huh...?
: Before we separate, let me remind you... Starting tonight, I'll be leaving my room door open to make sure nothing happens to Alter Ego. But just because my door is open, don't assume that will make me an easy target.
: Or the predator may suddenly find itself the prey...

Her voice was calm and composed, but it was clear she meant what she said.

: Okay, okay, let's everyone just head back to our rooms! And don't think about that whole money thing! Got it? Good! Then let's break!
: ...How was that? Pretty good, right Taka?
: ...Right.

As soon as I was back in my room, I crawled into bed. Money... There's no way that's gonna get anyone to kill anyone else... I told myself that, but deep in my heart, I was still troubled. After all, I thought the same thing last time, about having our secrets revealed... Even if the reason for it seems completely nonsensical, a murder can still happen. That's the lesson we learned. But this time... This time, it's different. I'm sure of it... Because of the program Chihiro left behind--Alter Ego... We finally have some small hope to grasp onto. As long as we have that, then I'm sure...

: Little kids have it so easy... Cuz they can put Li'l in front of their name, and right off the bat everyone thinks they're cute! Well fine then! I want everyone to start calling me Li'l Monokuma! See? Just by adding that, my cuteness goes up by at least like, 10%. Right? Yeah, the world doesn't have nearly enough "Li'l's"! More "Li'l's" would lead to the salvation of the world! Just imagine... "Li'l Arsonist," "Li'l War Criminal," "Li'l Destruction of the Environment"...! "Li'l Hit and Run," "Li'l Death Tax," "Li'l Great Depression"! Even the darkest subjects can suddenly become brighter! Our dreams are expanding-ding-ding!

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!

Well then...I guess I should head to the dining hall.

: There are a few people out in the halls this morning.

: Good morning, Sakura.
: Did you just wake up?
: Yeah...
: Waking up for our breakfast meeting is fine, of course. But getting up a little early is better... You can exercise in your room till nighttime ends. A big meal after working up a sweat is...divine.

: Hey! Mornin', Makoto!
: Good morning. You're...kinda sweaty. Have you been exercising?
: Yup! Me and Sakura were doing our morning workout! Oh, but I didn't break our nighttime promise! I just ran around my room till it ended... Why don't you come with us next time?
: I don't think I could keep up with you and Sakura...

: Ahh, seriously? Okay, then we can do something in the rec room! I'm not good at much, but I do know how to play Othello!
: I'm not very good at that either, though. I don't like to think when I'm playing, so...

: Ah, good morning!
: Morning...
: Actually, it's a GREAT morning! A morning that has blessed my entire future!
: Really? It feels like any other morning to me...
: Fwehehe! Maybe you can't tell, but my soul is positively overflowing with strawberries today!
: Well, I'm off! *leaves*

That was...bizarre. I mean, even for him...

: So, the people here today are the same as yesterday. Just us seven.
: Byakuya and Toko are a lost cause, but...
: It looks like Mr. Ishimaru's decided to stop coming for good, too...
: It's like he's just...given up.
: For people wound as tight as he is, when you snap, you snap hard.
: I wish there was some way to make him better...

: On another topic... Kyoko, did everything go alright last night?
: Yeah, I didn't have any problems.
: I went and checked on the laptop a little while ago, and there weren't any problems there, either. But...

Kyoko seemed to hesitate, but...

: It's related to this case, so I suppose I should be blunt.

: I have to make a new rule. Using Alter Ego without permission is prohibited. Someone going in and out of the dressing room would draw unwanted attention from the mastermind.
: I would have thought that would be obvious. Why do we need to make a rule about it?
: That's a good question. Do you have any thoughts on that, Hifumi?

: N-No... It's just like you said. We all need to be...very careful... *Pant pant*
: Whatever, let's just hurry up and eat! We don't have time to stand around flappin' our lips!
: Jeez! Why're you talkin' like a pissed-off drill sergeant all of a sudden!?

We ate breakfast in a rush, then headed back to our rooms...

What should I do today...?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Aug 19, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

FPzero posted:

I've noticed a trend of the multiple choice questions in this game usually being pretty obvious about what answer you're supposed to pick. I don't remember if that was always that case in the original Japanese or oren's translation though. The one about why Jill couldn't have killed Chihiro sticks out in my head since the answer probably relies on the Japanese player easily being able to tell that the names of her victims are all male. In NISA's translation though, they can't expect the player to necessarily be able to recognize that fact. I don't know if I could have without prior knowledge. So then they went ahead and did this:

A good translation would point out all her victims are male without being to conspicuous about it. When Naegi first reads the file, they could have pretty easily inserted an offhand comment about it.

The difficult part, of course, is that the translator has to be aware what their audience might not know. It's an easy trap to fall into when you're very familiar with the source language and culture, and is why having at least one editor who isn't is valuable.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Every company that localizes Japanese games should have one employee who is not allowed anywhere near anime.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

: Little kids have it so easy... Cuz they can put Li'l in front of their name, and right off the bat everyone thinks they're cute! Well fine then! I want everyone to start calling me Li'l Monokuma! See? Just by adding that, my cuteness goes up by at least like, 10%. Right? Yeah, the world doesn't have nearly enough "Li'l's"! More "Li'l's" would lead to the salvation of the world! Just imagine... "Li'l Arsonist," "Li'l War Criminal," "Li'l Destruction of the Environment"...! "Li'l Hit and RUn," "Li'l Death Tax," "Li'l Great Depression"! Even the darkest subjects can suddenly become brighter! Our dreams are expanding-ding-ding!

Well this one kinda falls a bit flat in English, doesn't it? Originally this was about "chan". War-chan, Death-chan, etc etc. The literal translation just... lacks the same impact. The words just do not go together like that.

I don't remember ever having a very good localization idea for this. Right now, I'd almost say I'd've just done the chan bit, as written, in English - lord knows the target market aren't unlikely to get it - but it seems like a bit of a cop-out. Maybe if instead of "little kids", he talks about Japanese kids? It'd be some barefaced cheek, but it's not like there's no precedent for this (see: 999's "Any of you chumps know Japanese?"). But maaaaaaaan, it still seems bad.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 9, 2015

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Maybe it's supposed to be a reference to Lil' Slugger from Paranoia Agent?
That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the words Lil.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Fedule posted:

Well this one kinda falls a bit flat in English, doesn't it? Originally this was about "chan". War-chan, Death-chan, etc etc. The literal translation just... lacks the same impact. The words just do not go together like that.

I don't remember ever having a very good localization idea for this. Right now, I'd almost say I'd've just done the chan bit, as written, in English - lord knows the target market aren't unlikely to get it - but it seems like a bit of a cop-out. Maybe if instead of "little kids", he talks about Japanese kids? It'd be some barefaced cheek, but it's not like there's no precedent for this (see: 999's "Any of you chumps know Japanese?"). But maaaaaaaan, it still seems bad.

This actually makes me wonder about how a translation was handled in Another Episode but I'll take that question to the general thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Blastinus posted:

Hagakure is a waste of space in general, really. He's not especially funny or even that good at his chosen talent either. Granted, having an actually skilled fortune teller would probably ruin the mystery entirely, but he's oblivious to the point where he's not even good at telling the present, let alone the future.

In a game where you've got flat characters like Leon whose whole character is "I'm a baseball player that wants to be a musician, but nah I actually like baseball" or weird characters like Yamada and his whole 2D thing, Hagakure stands out as being really worthless and annoying for the reasons you stated above.

Leon is at least believable as a person, and Yamada is mildly-entertaining on occasion. Hagakure's whole thing is just being really weird. And in a game like Danganronpa where everyone is already pretty weird, that's not really enough of a character trait.

For me, at least. Maybe someone could write up a character analysis of why he's the best character ever. :shrug:

• Locked thread