Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is one of the most annoying parts of the game. Kirigiri just used Naegi as live bait and could barely be bothered to give him much of an explanation but the moment that he feels uncomfortable about sharing something then she gets pissed off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FPzero posted:

: Nyohoho! YOU'RE fake!

The best thing about Monokuma is his habit of throwing out dumb insults.

Hunt11 posted:

This is one of the most annoying parts of the game. Kirigiri just used Naegi as live bait and could barely be bothered to give him much of an explanation but the moment that he feels uncomfortable about sharing something then she gets pissed off.

No one can handle Naegi having a spine outside of trials, I guess.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Since we're on a new page I'll restate that the PC port of this game comes out in, uh, closer to twothree and a half hours actually.

E: Wait no me maths good.

Either Steam or timeanddate lied to me, :siren:It's out!

Y'know, for the, like, two of us who haven't already played it but still care to.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 19, 2016

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

AlphaKretin posted:

Since we're on a new page I'll restate that the PC port of this game comes out in, uh, closer to twothree and a half hours actually.

E: Wait no me maths good.

Either Steam or timeanddate lied to me, :siren:It's out!

Y'know, for the, like, two of us who haven't already played it but still care to.

Since I've only experianced this vicariously through LP's I will be one of those 2 if only to show the series some support.

And get DR2 on PC hopefully

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Hunt11 posted:

Funny, I was annoyed by Makoto. There's no reason he couldn't explain the situation as he saw it, and yet he withheld information and betrayed Kyoko's trust instead. Poor form.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Lacedaemonius posted:

Funny, I was annoyed by Makoto. There's no reason he couldn't explain the situation as he saw it, and yet he withheld information and betrayed Kyoko's trust instead. Poor form.

I think that if you try to tell her, Makoto notes that he doesn't have full proof of anything and that he shouldn't claim that Sakura's the mole until he's 100% sure.

I, too, have only been able to experience this game through LPs until now, so I've been looking forward to the steam release.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also he's still (rightfully) kind of scared of her.

I can blame him for not going 'I saw something weird with Sakura and Monobear' but I can't blame him for not fingering her as the mole when he only has that to go off of. There's not enough evidence.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I don't think that one classroom was a maths classroom because if I recall the students in Japanese highschools stay put and the teachers move around.

On Kirigiri getting pissed off, I thought it was cute that she breaks her perfect composure. Actually replaying the game has made me realised just how far Kirigiri goes to be cold and unfriendly as in the introductions where she very pointedly refuses to tell what her Ultimate ability is. Also, what an arsehole for setting Makoto up like that.

e: It's a little bit of a reach for the game to say "She knew Makoto was hiding something from her because detective powers".

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 19, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"The picture is real" come on Makoto you're falling for that?

And Celeste's missing her ring, which is odd when she's otherwise in full costume.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Time to share information with the others. Let's start with Hina.

: There was a big shelf in the chem lab on the 4th floor, and it had all kinds of chemicals and stuff. And there was an all-star cast of nutrient additives and supplements! You should at least go take a peek. I highly recommend it!
: I think you and Ogre are probably the only ones interested in stuff like that...
: Oh, but...it's not all good stuff, though. There was medicine and health stuff, but on top of that...There was also, um...a bunch of different poisons.
: P-Poison!?

: They were all labeled clearly, though. So it would be hard to grab one by mistake...
: Still, we'd better make sure we're careful around there.
: And...we probably shouldn't tell Byakuya or Toko about the poison, right?
: What do you mean...?
: Well, just in case... You know what I'm trying to say.

: J-Just in case... Yeah, I think you're right.
: It's Byakuya. It won't be long before he's discovered it for himself.

But to put something as dangerous as poison right out in the open... That's absolutely the work of the mastermind.

: I found a couple rooms on the 4th floor, but they were locked! The data center and the headmaster's room!
: The headmaster's room!? That sounds like exactly the kinda place we'd find some clues!
: If we can somehow unlock the door and get inside...
: Who cares about a stupid lock!
: It should be no problem for the world's strongest missing link to knock down one measly door!

: ...What was that?
: Uwah!
: No, please. Continue.

: Did you say I've got the nicest butt on the block? The curviest hips in town? Is that what you said!?
: Hell no I didn't!
: Then what DID you say? Cuz I KNOW you weren't talking about tearing down the door to the headmaster's room.
: Ng--!
: Knocking down your headmaster's door? What kind of war on education are you trying to start here!?
: That's MY room, ya know? It is *now* anyway... And you're thinking of busting it down?

: You seriously don't wanna piss me off. You have any idea how much bacteria lives on a single bear claw?
: N-No, I was just kiddin'! Please don't get mad!
: I'm not mad! >_<
: You're totally mad! ;_;

: I was hoping I wouldn't have to add a rule for this, but if you're gonna go around having those thoughts...
: I have no choice but to add to the school regulations!
: Seriously...?
: Breaking down a locked door is prohibited! There, that's a rule now, ya jerks! *leaves*

: I-Is he gone...?
: Whew... Man, I was scared for my life! I was sure he was gonna kill me, for serious!
: But if he would go out of his way to make up a rule like that, there's no doubt that something important must be hidden in the headmaster's room.
: But...now that it's a rule, there's nothing we can do.
: ...

: Metal sheets had been attached to all the windows on the 4th floor. None of them budged an inch...
: Just like everywhere else...
: Escape from the 4th floor seems unlikely. That was to be expected, though.

: Um...Kyoko?

She's ignoring me...

: Hey, Makoto... Does Kyoko seem upset to you?

: She is, isn't she!? She's totally mad!
: Y-Yeah, it looks like it...
: I bet it's your fault, isn't it? You must've done something to her.

Agh...this is bad...

: So...has everyone said what they need to say?
: I think so...
: But it looks like nobody found any clues at all, let alone a way out of here.
: I haven't been this depressed since my house burned to the ground! Someone, do something to cheer me up!
: Um...can I say something?
: It's cuz my dad was smoking in bed!
: That's...no... I have something I'd like to report. So...you guys all remember, right? You remember when I found that picture up on the 3rd floor the other day?

: You mean the one that showed Mondo, Chihiro, and Leon all together, right?
: Yeah, I remember. What about it?
: Well, I found another one. Another picture, almost just like that one.
: Another one...?

: But this time, the picture was of Celeste, Hifumi, and Sayaka.
: Huh...?
: And they were all smiling... And the classroom in the picture didn't have any metal covering the windows.

: So the picture of Mondo, Chihiro, and Leon wasn't the only one... Now you found one that had Celeste, Hifumi, and Sayaka?
: But...how can that...?
: Monokuma must have faked it!
: But...if the picture *is* real...

: ...then everyone who was in it...

: There would have to be some kind of hidden connection there, don't you think? Some deeper truth...that we just don't understand...

: Can't be! It's a fake!
: But Monokuma said it was real. I know we could just write that off as a lie, but...

: Then you trust Monokuma's word over the people who have died?
: That's what you're saying, isn't it?
: No, that's not it...

: I'm shocked. You told everyone how we should believe in our friends, but you refuse to do the same.
: Th-That's not--!

What's going on, Kyoko? Why are you getting emotional...? I don't understand why she's so angry...

: C'mon guys, stop fighting, or all your good luck is gonna float away! Anyway, Makoto...you're thinking about it too much. There's no way Monokuma didn't fake that picture.
: He's just trying to confuse us. You shouldn't listen to anything Monokuma has to say.
: Y-You might be right, but still...

Music cuts out.

???: Are you still so conflicted?

: It looks like you guys have stopped playing nice.
: Byakuya!
: You all have the same sunken look on your faces. You were all so ugly before. You shouldn't let them sink any lower.
: When I look at you, it makes me think of a frog sinking into a pile of manure.
: Sorry...
: Why are you apologizing!?

: Leave us alone! You're not a part of this!
: That's true enough. Your problems aren't mine. We are, and always will be, completely separate. So whatever's causing your faces to turn so ugly has absolutely nothing to do with me. And if I happen to discover a vital clue, it wouldn't concern you in the slightest.
: Did he finally just say something useful?

: ...Byakuya. What have you been up to?
: I don't mind telling you. Perhaps forcing your lazy brains to get to work might do you some good.
: I was in the bath. What else would you like to know? Today's lottery numbers?

He was...taking a bath? Is he saying he's been talking to Alter Ego? Did he tell him something...?

: Maybe we should *all* go take a bath.

: Ah...good idea.
: A mixed bath...?
: A mixed bath...!

If Alter Ego really did tell him something... I wonder what it could have been.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

OK the line I was thinking of must come way later. Oops.

Content, though: Guys, it's a loving chemistry lab. Of course it has poisons in it, not much you'd find there wouldn't gently caress you up if you drank it. If anything the protein supplements are far more out of place.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub
I can see it now, everything's going to go to hell and it's all Makoto's fault. I hope it turns into Lord Of the Flies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

If anything the protein supplements are far more out of place.

Yeah, why aren't those in the nurse's office?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edit: Yay, double post.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, why aren't those in the nurse's office?
What Nurse's Office?

That's why they're there.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd like to point out that while Kyoko is being dumb and petty about this whole situation, Makoto is denser than a sack of bricks in his reactions to her anger. "I don't know why she's mad at me for withholding information she knows I have????questionmark???"

I mean geez, this is the same kid who can figure out the trial stuff.

Andou
Jun 12, 2014

FPzero posted:

I mean geez, this is the same kid who can figure out the trial stuff.

Except he can't? Most of the important revelations are spoon-fed to him by the other students. As players, we may know, but that doesn't transfer to Makoto. I hope DR2 is better about this.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

What Nurse's Office?

That's why they're there.

Wasn't there an infirmary or something on the first floor where Yamada was passed out when he faked death?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't there an infirmary or something on the first floor where Yamada was passed out when he faked death?

Yup. I think Sakura and Hina specifically mourned the lack of protein too. So if anything that's the mastermind's doing, not a chem lab having poison. :downs:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Andou posted:

I hope DR2 is better about this.

Don't worry, it is. DR2 is an improvement in a lot of ways, and that's one of the most noticeable.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Kirigiri comes over as a total arsehole at times but on a second run I think I'm starting to understand that what we're supposed to take away is that she has very intense emotional responses but is very good at hiding them behind an iron wall. She believes that showing emotion gives leverage to others. Also I think the game is very wary of letting the survivors settle down and trust each other unconditionally. They have to keep the division between good guys and bad guys and allies and enemies a little bit uncertain.

Lacedaemonius
Jan 18, 2015

Rub a dub dub

Prurient Squid posted:

Also I think the game is very wary of letting the survivors settle down and trust each other unconditionally. They have to keep the division between good guys and bad guys and allies and enemies a little bit uncertain.
A story where everyone comes to reasonable settlements, comes to trust each other, and work together to build a better world doesn't make for compelling fiction.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

When I got to the dressing room...

Toko was sitting alone on the bench, the laptop in front of her.

: ...Toko. Did you decide to come hear what Alter Ego has, too?
: I-I already heard it...with M-Master...
: With Master!

: You don't have to keep saying it... Anyway, so what are you doing right now?
: Shut up. Stop b-bothering me.
: Get out of the way. We have to talk to Alter Ego.

: N-No. I made Master a p-promise.
: A promise?
: Master told me to w-wait here, so that's what I'm d-doing.
: What are you, his dog!?
: If it's wh-what Master wants, I'd do anything h-he asks.
: You just love being mistreated...
: W-Well fine, if you really want me gone, by a-all means...

: Hachoo!

: Hey guys! What's goin' on!?
: Um...we'd like you to move.
: Sure thing! Just kneel before me and beg!
: First a mega masochist, now a super sadist!
: Um, Toko...? Seriously, I'm asking you nicely to let us use the laptop.
: Hm? HmmMMmMmmMmMMMmmMm~~?

: Didn't you hear what I said!? I told you to kneel and beg!
: Come on, Makoto! Give her the ol' one-two combo! One--drop to your knees! Two--beseech!
: Why are you acting like you're not part of this...?

I was as desperate as I felt. Finally, I did kneel down in front of her, and I said...

: Please, I'm begging you... Will you please let us use the laptop?
: Kyeeehahahaha!

: Such an ultra miraculous feeling of happiness! All my pent-up anger at Master for abusing me is evaporating!
: So even *you* realize it's abuse...
: That should be enough, right? Hurry up and let us talk to Alter Ego.
: O-kaaaaaaay!

: Everyone, come closer! I already told Byakuya, but... I was finally able to crack open all the files that were on this laptop! Sorry to have kept you all waiting!
: Just what I thought...
: Finally...the time has come...
: Nng...I'm starting to get kinda nervous...

I felt the same way. Resting on the keyboard, my hands had started to shake.

: Move.

The single word was like a sharpened blade. Wounded, I moved to let her take over.

: Here we go...

Kyoko began typing, the words appearing as fast as I could read them.

> "Can you tell us what you found out?"

: Sure. I analyzed the files and extracted all the useful information I could find. And one particularly important fact I discovered was that a certain plan had been put into effect here.

> "To isolate the students of Hope's Peak Academy and create a communal life for them."

: That was the stated goal of the plan... But it was meant to be more than just a normal school life. The students were intended to live out the rest of their lives here.
: Th-That's...!

: It's...exactly the situation we've found ourselves in.
: It's quite unthinkable, isn't it? And what's more, the one who came up with the plan was non other than the administrators of Hope's Peak themselves.
: What!? Wait, hold on! Then the reason we've been imprisoned here... It wasn't the work of some psycho freak or criminal organization or whatever...
: It was...the school itself?

: That doesn't make any sense! Why would they do that!?
: I don't think Alter Ego is finished. Perhaps we should hear the rest...
: It seems that the reason they devised this plan was because of what happened one year ago. This is how they described that event... They said it was the "biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history."
: What does that mean...?
: Yeah, what kind of name is that for something!?

: Otherwise known as The Tragedy, it was apparently some sort of devastating occurrence. Because of The Tragedy, Hope's Peak Academy was forced to discontinue its role as a school and close down.
: I see. Things are finally starting to make sense... What this means is, one year ago, this thing--this tragedy--took place. And whatever it was, it forced Hope's Peak to shut down. From there, they decided to use the school as a kind of staging ground...
: They planned to sequester the students here, where they would live out the rest of their lives.

: But...why would the Hope's Peak administrators want to shut everyone in like that?
: And what could this "tragic event" have possibly been?

In a flash, Kyoko had typed their questions into the computer. And the answer we got was...

: Sorry...I don't know. If that information was ever on this computer, it's gone now... I'm totally useless... I'm sorry.

And that's all he said.

: Then...is this really the end? We get halfway through the answer, and that's it?
: It would appear so. Disappointing...
: Oh, wait! There's one other thing I forgot to mention. I think it might be important. I believe it has to do with the mastermind...
: The mastermind!?

Kyoko's fingers moved even faster than they had so far...

> "Did you figure out the mastermind's identity?"

: No...that I still don't know. But I *did* find a clue, I think. The one leading the Hope's Peak staff, the one who finalized the plan to isolate you was the Hope's Peak headmaster. So that same person may very well be the mastermind who planned all this out. And according to the files, the headmaster is a man in his late thirties. It seems possible, even likely, that he's somewhere in this school right now.

: The headmaster...is here in the school!?
: Then that's gotta be the mastermind! I mean, Monokuma's been calling himself the headmaster, right?
: Which makes the real headmaster that much more suspicious...
: But if we break down the door to his room, we're dead, right? So what are we supposed to do?

: I'll find a way...
: Huh?
: No matter what it takes...I will find the headmaster. No matter the cost...
: Kyoko? What's going on...?
: ...I can't explain why. I just...know that I have to find him.

She "has" to? Kyoko...what's going on with you? When she heard about the headmaster, her reaction was almost...violent.

: ...We should see if Alter Ego has any more information.

That seemed to be an attempt to regain her composure, and she started typing again.

> "Did you learn anything else?"

: I'm sorry... That's everything I found. All the information on this laptop seems to be pretty old, so that's all I can do from here. I'm really sorry...
: Then...it really is all over.
: Wait. Alter Ego seems to have more to say.

: Um, well... It's kind of a different topic, but...I was wondering about something.
: I haven't seen Celeste, Hifumi, or Taka since yesterday...

A heavy silence fell across the room. The only sound was the flat, precise clicking of keys as Kyoko typed.

> "They're all dead."

: ...What!?
: I see... Certainly I knew that was a possibility, but...
: ...it really happened. ...
: Oh, sorry... There's no point in me getting depressed over things I can't do anything about...

: Well then, I guess that's it.

"That's it." A simple phrase that held so much meaning... She began typing again...

> "You've done your job. Thank you."

: I'm done? I guess I am, huh?
: Then...maybe I'll take a little rest. I'm kinda tired... Goodbye, everyone. See you later...

With that, the laptop entered sleep mode...

: So Alter Ego did everything he could...
: We won't have to talk to him all that much anymore.
: But...I feel kinda sorry for him.
: You feel sorry...? But "he's" just a computer program, right?
: I know, but still...he did everything he could for us, ya know?

: I mean, yeah, it did. But that's what a computer program is *designed* to do. You don't tell a computer "good job" every time you shut it down, do you?
: Well, no... But when we talked to Alter Ego, I guess I just...didn't see it that way.
: I know what you mean. I feel the same way.
: Hey, come on! It's just a program! You *can* tell the difference between a program and a friend, right?
: But you know...what's the difference between us and that program, really?
: I started thinking about how you would differentiate a person and an AI. Alter Ego isn't human, I know that. It's just a program running on a computer. But at the same time, I couldn't help but think of him as our friend.

: Yeah! He's no different from us! He's still our friend!
: I think...maybe I understand where you're coming from...
: Then there's no problem calling him a friend! After all, the more friends the merrier, right!?
: Check this out! Friendship has no survival value. Instead, it gives value to survival.

: So anyway...
: Don't "so anyway" that! It's a totally smart and cool thing that I quoted from I don't remember where!
: Anyway, there's nothing more Alter Ego can do to help us. As such, his role in this is over. Am I wrong about that?
: No, but...

Music cuts out.

: And frankly, I question the ease with which you decide who is and isn't your friend.

Do you really mean that...?

: The story's gotten off track. We should go over what Alter Ego said one more time.
: Yeah, good idea! What was the Hope's Peak staff thinking...?
: Why are they making us kill each other!?
: Alter Ego said that what happened one year ago is what started everything.

: Yeah, he said it was the biggest, most awful, most hopeless event in human history, right?
: It must have been a huge incident, whatever it was... But did something like that really happen a year ago?
: I don't remember anything happening that you could describe that way. What about you guys?
: I don't really watch the news, so...
: Sorry, nothing comes to mind.

: That event led to the closing of Hope's Peak. If nothing else, it must have had some kind of connection to this school.
: Maybe all the students here were killed or something!
: That kind of catastrophe would have been all over the news. At least one of us would remember that...
: Then...maybe they covered it up! That would explain why none of us knew that the school had been shut down!
: Totally covering up something like that... I suppose it's not totally impossible.

: What's wrong with our government!? Our taxes pay their salaries, they should be handling stuff like that!
: Maybe. But right now there's only one path open to us... We have to find the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. We have to find him, and make him tell us everything.
: As long as we can get our hands on him, I think...

Kyoko... When she said "headmaster" I got that feeling again...

: But even that is a problem not so easily solved.
: Yeah...you're right...
: Well, our business is done here, so for now we should get out of here.
: Oh yeah, good idea.
: Then I...
: Ah...achoo!

: Is it really that dusty...? Wait, I mean...!
: O-Oh no! I'm not w-waiting anymore!

: I'm n-not guarding it... Byakuya's gonna b-be so mad at me...!
: Let's avoid getting involved any further.
: Good call...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Don't kvetch about the translation don't kvetch about the translationDammit. They go with "blackened" to awkwardly adhere to a superficial monochromatic theme but despite translating the name of the event two different ways, they manage to miss "despair" both times? :bang:

On a more constructive not, having finally played some of this for myself, it's way more active and animated than I could have imagined from the screenshots. I'm a real fan, though I find it a bit odd that the screen flashes white more often than when Cloud is having a breakdown in FF7.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 23, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
^^ The screen flashing and shaking is pretty common, yeah. I'm pretty used to that, though, because the Ace Attorney games were also like that.

I'm glad I bought this on Steam despite having read both this LP and the previous one. It's been fun exploring Hope's Peak at my own pace, and doing the Free Time events I want to instead of only seeing what the thread votes for. The LPs don't really express how small the students' initial living space is before the first trial. Conversely, it's rather irritating to track down a specific person when there's four floors to look through.

I really hope the sales are good enough to justify putting the sequel on Steam. I've still never been spoiled on any of it beyond what orenronen covered in his unfinished LP.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
So Monokuma dropped a reference to "The Tragedy" back when we first found the physics room and I thought it was weird that Makoto didn't comment on it or anything since it made me wonder what he was talking about right away. Having a protagonist be alternately dense and clever is really irritating sometimes.

On a similar note, I'm having trouble telling if all the hints being dropped that we're at least a year in the future from when everyone showed up at Hope's Peak are intentionally super obvious and therefore a likely red herring or if the writers think they're being subtle. This is exacerbated by the fact that not even Kyoko or Byakura have speculated in it at all despite being the only competent ones. Maybe we'll find out they were just hiding their thoughts on the matter, but that feels a little unsatisfying

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

blackmongoose posted:

So Monokuma dropped a reference to "The Tragedy" back when we first found the physics room and I thought it was weird that Makoto didn't comment on it or anything since it made me wonder what he was talking about right away. Having a protagonist be alternately dense and clever is really irritating sometimes.

It could be worse: Naegi could be Ethan Kairos levels of unobservant.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It could be worse: Naegi could be Ethan Kairos levels of unobservant.

There was an LP of Time Hollow a few years back. It was interesting until it petered out.

That seems to be the story with a lot of these weird DS adventure games, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That sucks. That game really picks up steam once the beginning of the game passes.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: I apologize in advance for the shortness of this update. It really should have been part of last update but I thought that one had gone on long enough. Unfortunately, this update is also too disconnected from the events of the next one so it just exists as a tiny update between two larger ones. Chapter 4 has not been very friendly in terms of choosing where to split updates.

As we left the dressing room, someone was there waiting for us...

: My heart is pound-pound-pounding away...
: It's pounding...with anger!
: Y-You're not still mad about that whole "breaking into the headmaster's room" thing, are you...?
: Oh, that little matter doesn't matter even a little. And I'm a little jealous of you guys enjoying an indecent mixed bath, but that doesn't matter, either.
: It's building... I feel it building...

: My head's about to boil over with rage!
: D-Don't get so angry. Here, let me help center your chakra...
: Etch this on the walls of your brain, okay? When you do something to me, I do it right back...
: An eye for an eye, a fang for a fang... *leaves*

: Fang for a...fang?
: B-Be careful! He just chanted the incantation of devastation!
: No... It's just a saying.
: Oh, I see...
: But what's he talking about?

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Mm, ahem, this is a school announcement. It is now 10 p.m. As such, it is officially nighttime. Soon the doors to the dining hall will be locked, and entry at that point is strictly prohibited. Okay then...sweet dreams, everyone! Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...

: So, it's nighttime. What does everyone want to do? Celeste was the one who suggested our nighttime rule, but she's gone now...
: I think we should still avoid being out at nighttime. I know it'll make me feel better that way...
: I agree.
: Very well then. In that case, time for bed.

Music fades out.

So everyone headed back to their rooms. Monokuma's parting words left me feeling anxious the rest of the night.

Once I was back in my room, I got lost in thought. What we'd learned from Alter Ego kept on spinning around and around in my mind. The administrators of Hope's Peak had planned all of this... They did it because of "The Tragedy" which had happened a year before. And apparently the headmaster is the one behind it all--the mastermind. All these mysteries make me worried. But I still have to try and unravel them, bit by bit. I'm sure the road will be long, and tough, but I don't have any other choice.

: Let's talk a bit about where I was at before I became a bear. At first, I was at a total loss. I just had no idea what I should become! A lady in our tech support department suggested I try being a shrimp. She was like, "Oh, the company's been trying to push for this forever! It's a really incredible offer!" But as she laid out all the details, it turned out it wasn't a tiger prawn like I'd hoped, but a little popcorn shrimp! That's totally tiny! I would've been the world's smallest mascot! I like EATING shrimp, I didn't wanna be one myself! Plus someone might come along and step on me... So then the lady totally started laughing at me! She was like, "You think we can do a tiger prawn on *our* budget?" So ultimately, I decided to become a bear instead. And that's the secret origin story of Monokuma...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 19, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
It was always going to be hard keeping Monobear from getting suspicious, even if the students hadn't name-dropped Alter Ego in the dining hall and several times in the trial. I think he's cottoned on to something now. But at least it happened after getting all the useful info from the laptop.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The we learn about the mastermind the more disgusting the mental image becomes. All the instruments and screens in the evil Monokuma Control Chamber must be smeared with grease from frozen microwave pizza bagels and frozen microwave deep-fried popcorn shrimp.

Does the mastermind ever take a break to shower? Like, at all?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The we learn about the mastermind the more disgusting the mental image becomes. All the instruments and screens in the evil Monokuma Control Chamber must be smeared with grease from frozen microwave pizza bagels and frozen microwave deep-fried popcorn shrimp.

Remember that the cafeteria is closed during nighttime. I think the idea is that the mastermind gets food from there at that time.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Remember that the cafeteria is closed during nighttime. I think the idea is that the mastermind gets food from there at that time.

Granted I think that's more so the students don't see how it's restocked and possibly deduced a means of escape.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Monokuma Theater is the best and I kind of wish they had put a Monoebi in the picture somewhere for this last one.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

The cameras must have a recording function, which lets the mastermind take breaks to sleep or whatever, then watch the videos on fast-forward to catch up. There's no other way that the mastermind could guarantee a fair trial without recordings so they could see for themselves who the killer is.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

There's no way Junko would go with a shower. Sleep, maybe, if the despair was palatable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

There's no way Junko would go with a shower. Sleep, maybe, if the despair was palatable.

Fashion victim.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!

: First things first, I need to head to the dining hall...

: Like most mornings, there are a few people outside in the halls. Hiro is down near the storage room.

: Whoa! Makoto!
: H-Huh? Why do you sound so surprised?
: S-Sorry about that. It's just... If you'd gotten here even a minute earlier, it would've cost me a few more minutes off my life!
: What? Why?

: Cuz Kyoko, like, JUST left!
: Kyoko?
: Ya know, Makoto... When a guy and girl go at it, it shortens the lives of the people who have to watch it happen, too.

: And since it's me saying it, you know it's true!
: So like, hurry up and make it better. Anyway, see ya at breakfast! *leaves*

That's easy for him to say. But what am I supposed to do?

: Byakuya's near the exit to the 1st floor halls.

: ...What do you want?
: Um, well...the breakfast meeting...
: You honestly expect me to go?

Right... Oh, as long as I'm here, I should ask Byakuya what he made of the stuff Alter Ego told us. Actually no, I'd better not. The surveillance camera would catch us, for sure.

: ...So?
: Oh, um...well...
: Hmph... *leaves*

He's gone...

: Lastly, Hina's near the dining hall entrance.

: Good morning, Hina.
: Mornin'!
: Hey, so...yesterday...you were kinda cool!
: Huh? What do you mean?
: You know, when you said Alter Ego was your friend!

: I was thinking the same thing. But when stuff like that happens, I never know how to say what I'm thinking...
: So I'm really glad you said it for me! So...thanks! Ehehe...
: Y-You're welcome...
: You're usually like, totally normal. But when the time comes, BAM! You bust out your special power.

: I mean, even before yesterday, when stuff comes up, it's like...you always do something about it.

Even before yesterday...? Are you talking about the class trials and stuff?

: I mean, that stuff is just...it just kinda took care of itself, ya know?
: It totally didn't!
: With your power, and Sakura's, and everyone else...I'm sure we'll get outta here...
: Yeah, I think you're right.

: I am, right!? Alright! Now that we've got that fighting spirit, let's go eat some grub! *leaves*

She's right... Even if the road is long... If we don't keep on moving forward, we'll never reach our goal!

As I entered the dining hall, the first thing I saw was...her.

: What are you s-staring at...?
: Oh, Toko...?
: What, you think y-your eyes will rot just by l-looking at me?
: Fine, then DON'T l-look at me!

: I think he's just surprised to see you at the breakfast meeting, is all...
: Indeed. It's been quite a while since you joined us.
: Yeah, what made you change your mind?

: Byakuya said he...l-likes girls to have some meat o-on her bones, so...
: I'm g-gonna start eating! I'm gonna force it d-down into my stomach! I'm gonna eat till I d-drop!
: I refuse to l-lose!
: I wouldn't do that if I were you...
: Well, other than that...it looks like Kyoko isn't here.

: Oh, she said she'd come by later.
: Later...?
: Yeah. After you leave.

She's not even trying to hide it anymore...

: I know I said she wanted you to show some backbone, but you didn't need to show her THAT much!
: (Can I just pop in real fast to say that this next conversation is really weird coming from Hina after she was so nice to us in the hallway? It's really weirdly juxtaposed. It's like the devs forgot the two conversations were placed next to one another.)

: You're dirty, Makoto! Dirty! President Dirty of Dirtlandia!
: You don't understand...!
: You're the type who takes the stairs of love three steps at a time, aren't you!?
: I'm telling you, it's not like that!

: J-Just shut up already, Hina...! You've been running your f-filthy mouth like that all m-morning...
: Filthy? ME!?
: Don't m-make me repeat m-myself...

: I'm not filthy!
: It's n-no use denying it. We can all s-see how disgusting you are...
: Sh-Shut up...!

: You and that lusty body of yours... Night after n-night, you go out for your illicit c-club meetings...
: H-Hey, knock it off. I can't deal with dirty stuff like that...
: Your m-midnight sextracurricular activities only put us in e-even more danger...!
: S-Stop it...
: You'd like me to s-stop, wouldn't you? Your sweaty h-hands gripping the big, fat chalk t-tight...

: Going for all that e-extra credit... Your screams are like the s-screech of a violated blackboard! And...! And! Ah! It's a-amazing! Indecent ideas are c-coming to me one after another!

: So, would you rather have your black eye on the left or the right?
: Hyeeeh! S-Sorry sorry sorry!
: Let's leave Toko alone. She's gone a little...funny from all her pent-up frustration.

: Anyway, you and Kyoko need to make up already, ya know?

I mean, of course I want things to get better as soon as possible. But with everything that's been going on, I haven't had a chance to talk to her about what I saw... Before anything, I need to talk to Sakura about it.

: Now, I usually skip the non-essential character lines in these situations where you have to talk to one specific character to continue but there were some funny ones that happen right now I didn't want to pass up. Talking to Sakura will continue the story but let's talk to Hiro and Toko first...

: Cheer up, man! It's not a big deal if a girl doesn't like ya!
: It's better than having one sue ya! ...Like I did.

Jeez, Hiro. You've lived a pretty brutal life...

: Sorry sorry sorry sorry! Don't hit me don't hit me don't hit me don't hit me!
: If you w-wanna hit someone, hit Master. Please h-hit him. Oh, please *please* let me w-watch you hit him!

I think it's best if I stay far, *far* away from her...

: My indulgences finished, let's talk to Sakura.

: U-Um...Sakura?
: What is it?
: Can you make some time later? I was hoping I could talk to you.
: Ah! Now that Kyoko's dumped him, Makoto's trying to win Sakura's heart!
: Are you in h-heat, Makoto? Don't care who they a-are as long as they've g-got the right equipment?
: Watch out, Sakura! Makoto's transformed into a wild beast! Prime Minister Wild Beast of Beastopia!
: Why is this happening to me...?

: Can our talk wait till tomorrow? I'd like to get some rest today...
: For some reason, I've been feeling worn down these last few days.
: Huh? Are you sick? Did you get hurt?
: No, nothing serious. I've just had some minor aches and pains...

Huh? Is that...?

It must be because of that battle...

: But it must be pretty bad if you have to go rest. Are you sure you're okay?
: I'm sure a protein shake and some sleep will get me back on my feet.
: That's true, protein is good for all kinds of stuff!
: You guys, like, worship protein. It's like your god or something...

: Makoto! I dunno what it is you wanna talk to Sakura about, but save it till tomorrow! She's in pain!
: Y-Yeah, I got it...
: Sorry...

: Well...for now, let's eat!
: E-Eat? I'm kinda n-nervous...
: Huh? How come?
: Cuz...I don't usually...e-eat in front of other p-people.

: Ever since I w-was a kid, I'd...eat b-by myself.
: What about your family?
: Oh, well-y-yeah. I used to live with my d-dad, my mom, and my m-mom.
: You had...two moms?
: What? That's just how th-things were...
: That's, like, a serious issue!

: Just let it go. You're asking for trouble getting involved with her more than you have to.
: How d-dare you speak to me with that d-disgusting mouth of yours...
: S-Stop saying stuff like that!
: A-Anyway...I'm gonna go ahead and eat. If I don't, Kyoko will never show up.

: Pretty miserable situation, man.
: H-Hehe...

I scarfed down breakfast as fast as I could and immediately headed back to my room.

I'll have to wait till tomorrow to confront Sakura about what I saw. But in a way...I'm kinda relieved. It takes a lot of courage to stand face-to-face with Sakura and accuse her of something...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't tell if Toko has a hard time speaking in public or she's just generally lacking in confidence. Either way, these seem like character traits that would make it hard for you to make sexual accusations to someone like that.

Also, I forgot how incredibly childish Kyouko became over this.

• Locked thread