Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I rushed out of the room to meet up with all the others. But there was someone waiting for me there. It was like something out of an old TV show...

*WHAM*

???: Ahh!

: Oh--! ...Sayaka? S-Sorry! Are you okay?
: I-I'm fine. I hope you're okay... Sorry about that...

She had an embarrassed smile on her face. I stood up slowly.

: Are you okay, Sayaka? Are you hurt?

: Hmhm, you make it sound worse than it is. I'm completely fine. I know how I look, but I've actually built some pretty good muscle jumping up and down on stage!
: That's good, then...
: But...are *you* okay? You know, from when Mondo hit you...

That's true... I got knocked out right there in front of everyone. I guess I revealed my lack of cool right from the beginning...

: Makoto...?
: Oh, uh, I'm fine! Nothing wrong here!
: Oh, that's good. I was kinda worried...
: Th-Thanks... By the way...what are you doing here?

: Actually...I came to get you.
: You came...to get me?

: Well, if you really are feeling better...I was hoping you could come to the dining hall.
: The dining hall...?
: After you got knocked out, everyone decided to go and do their own thing. We decided it would be more effective if we split up to investigate. So we agreed to get together later on and talk about what we'd each found out.
: So does that mean it's almost time to get back together? If that's what's going on, then of course I'll go with you!
: Good. I'll go on ahead and meet you at the dining hall, then. *leaves*

: We now have control over Makoto again and can now explore the dormitory hallways.

: Here's the map of the area. All the dorm rooms are on the right side, with a few facilities on the left. The dining hall is the room with the spoon and fork in the lower left. Before we go there, however, let's see what else is in this area.

: Dorm rooms line the hallway here and around the corner.

: There appears to be some sort of inner courtyard here, though it's nothing more than scenery.

: A trash room is in this hallway, though we can't enter it yet. There are also a few bathrooms down the hall.

: At the bottom of the map is this barred-off staircase and caution-taped door. We can't do anything with either of them yet.

: There's a laundry room and a bathhouse in the upper part of the map but right now we can't go into either of them.

: Let's enter the dining hall.

This must be the dormitory dining hall.

: It looks pretty clean, so that's good.

: ...Er, I guess that's not really important right now, with us being prisoners here and all.
: Yeah, that's true...

Nobody was waiting there for us. We don't really have much choice. I guess we should just wait here for now.

: Hmm... Okay, let's just wait here.
: Huh!? You heard that!?

: Like I said, I'm psychic.
: Come on, I'm just kidding! Seriously, I just have amazing intuition.

Is it really just intuition...?

: It's kind of sudden, I know, but here comes a tutorial! Right now I'd like to talk about reactions. You're gonna be talking to Sayaka, right?

: I'm going to cut-off the tutorial here. In theory, Reactions are basically a small mechanic in which you can change a conversation's direction by pushing Triangle to select the purple words in a sentence, then pressing X to continue the conversation. In practice however, Reactions don't affect the conversations that much because there's basically no reason not to React to every instance that they show up. In fact, sometimes you MUST React to something to progress the story.
: They are used more heavily in the beginning of the game to demonstrate the feature, but most of what is said in a Reaction conversation is stuff you could have learned even if you skip the Reaction. They're harmless enough, but I'm not a big fan of them. The writers could have accomplished what Reactions do by just writing the conversations a little better.
: I'm going to represent them in text with [bolded square brackets] as best I can, as long as it doesn't break BBCode to do so.
: Let's skip the rest of the tutorial because I've basically explained everything it was going to and get back to the game.

Um, so...what time is it right now?

: What!? 7 o'clock!? At night!?

: You were unconscious for a pretty long time...

I see... Without being able to look out a window, I've lost all sense of time. If I have to stay in this place for too long...I might just go crazy...

: By the way, Makoto...
: Huh? What is it?
: W-Well, it's just... I know this is kind of [continuing the self-introduction thing], but I [wanted to ask you something].

> continuing the self-introduction thing

: Continuing our self-introductions?

: We kinda got cut off before, but I had a question I wanted to ask you.

Sayaka wants to ask me something? I wonder what it is. Now I'm really curious...

> wanted to ask you something

: What did you want to ask me?

Music fades out.

: Makoto...did you happen to go to Blackroot Junior High? Were you maybe...in class 2?
: Y-Yeah, actually...I was.

: I knew it! I went there, too! I was in class 4, though. Do you remember me?
: Do I remember...?

Even back in middle school, she was a celebrity with all kinds of "ultimates" surrounding her. How could I forget? Almost as surprising as her question was...that she remembered me! We'd never even talked to each other, but somehow she still knew who I was.

: Hey, are you okay?
: Oh, yeah. I'm just surprised, is all. I wouldn't have thought you'd remember me.
: We went to the same school for three years, of course I remember!
: Well, that's true. But there were lots of students in our grade, right? Plus, I've never been the type of person to ever really stand out. I'm average at everything, and all my hobbies are totally normal. Even "normal" would call me boring.

: What are you talking about? You're so strange!
: S-Strange? That's--!

: Hahaha!

She started giggling even louder. That somehow mysterious smile of hers made my heart grow calmer. Her smile was the nicest smile I'd ever seen...

: Anyways, I'm really glad...that I know somebody here.
: Talking to you has made me feel a lot better about all this... You're amazing Makoto!
: N-No, I'm really not... I'm nothing at all compared to all you "ultimates."
: But *you're* the one that helped me find my courage again. Not any of those "ultimate" students.
: Thank you for saying that...

: And to thank you for helping me out, I'm going to become your Ultimate Assistant!
: Huh? My assistant?
: Yup! I'm your assistant now! I'm going to help you out as much as I can, so let's get out of here together!

When she says things like that, it... It just gets me pumped up!

: Since we examined the clock to see what time it was and viewed all the Reactions Sayaka had for us, we now get the next scene.

: I can't believe no one's here yet. But I'm sure they'll start showing up soon...

Almost like he'd timed it, Taka threw open the dining hall doors right as Sayaka said that.

: Ah, Makoto, Sayaka! So you two got here first, huh?

: Too bad... I was sure I'd beat everyone here.

: I guess that just means I don't have enough fighting spirit yet!

: Well I won't give up! Next time, I swear I'll win no matter what it takes! Justice shall always prevail!
: That's a bit much, don't you think?

And soon after that everyone else came strolling in one after another. After a few minutes everyone had gathered in the dining hall.

: Okay! It looks like everyone's here. Time to start the meeting! Let's all go around and share what we found during out respective investigations! The sooner we find out what's going on, the sooner we get out of here!

: Wait, hold on a sec!

: What's wrong!?

: What about, uh...what's her name? You know, the silver-haired girl.
: Uh...oh yeah, Kyoko!

: ...What about her?
: She's not here.

: What!?

I took another look around the dining hall. Sure enough, she was nowhere to be seen.

: I wonder where she went. Has anyone seen her?

But everyone just shook their heads.

: Wait, so *nobody's* seen her?

Why hasn't Kyoko shown up yet? Could it be because...?

: Stabbing, strangling, bludgeoning, crushing, hacking, drowning, igniting, how you do it doesn't matter. You must kill someone if you want to leave. It's as simple as that.
: The rest is up to you. Give it your all to achieve the best outcome in the worst way possible.

Is it possible? Was she really...? No, no. I'm just overthinking things.

: Darn it Kyoko! You're really going to be late like this on the first day of school!? Not only is she late, she didn't tell anyone she would be late! A most unbecoming personality trait...

: You're being a real jackass right now, you know that?

: Well what do you want me to do!? Punctuality is everything!

: Now then, I declare that the first session of the Hope's Peak Academy briefing meetings has begun!

: Makoto... Actually, first of all... I've talked enough. Maybe we should listen to what everyone else has to say.
: Okay, let's do that.
: Hmhm. You know...
: Huh? What's up?

: I feel like I really have become your personal assistant, don't you agree?
: I may not be the best assistant in the world, but I'll give it everything I've got.

No...you've already done so much as my assistant.

: It's time to see what the others were up to while we were unconscious, next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

FPzero posted:

Go ahead and put the question in a spoiler bar if you're unsure and I'll respond to it appropriately.

Update will be up in a few hours.

OK. So far, every reference we've seen has been "You must kill someone if you want to leave." The interpretation I get from that is someone, singular. Kill one person, then you "graduate" and leave. But in the OP, you write "and must kill enough other to leave" -- enough implying more than one. So is it one, or multiple? Also, does "graduation" happen immediately after you kill someone (without being caught)? Or is it like....literally you have to graduate 4 years later or whenever is normal for Japanese high schools?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Leif. posted:

OK. So far, every reference we've seen has been "You must kill someone if you want to leave." The interpretation I get from that is someone, singular. Kill one person, then you "graduate" and leave. But in the OP, you write "and must kill enough other to leave" -- enough implying more than one. So is it one, or multiple? Also, does "graduation" happen immediately after you kill someone (without being caught)? Or is it like....literally you have to graduate 4 years later or whenever is normal for Japanese high schools?

That actually would be a typo on my part. I mean to type "kill each other to leave". I'll fix it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Leif. posted:

The exact process behind graduation will be explained in time.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'm re-experiencing the game myself, personally. It's like rereading a novel you like! You notice little details.

I didn't really watch the anime adaptation, but I still think the ED is worth a listen. No spoilers, picture is just of the cast and there's no lyrics. But the lyrics aren't spoilery either so.

I may just be weak to suzumu's music since I even like the Kagamine Len cover that's on the bonus CD of suzumu's On the Eighth Day Before the Rain Stops album.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Let's see what everyone has to say. We can only speak to Sayaka here.

: Okay, so since you're in the dark about all this, let me lay out what's been going on. Everyone split up to investigate different parts of the building, but...

: [Byakuya] and [Taka] each went off on their own, and so did Kyoko. It looks like [Leon, Hiro, Junko and Chihiro] all grouped up together. The same goes for [Hina, Sakura, and Mondo]. [Celeste, Toko, and Hifumi] were left over, so they joined up.

> Byakuya

: I wanted to try and find some clue as to who's responsible for imprisoning us here... But unfortunately, I made no such discoveries. That's all from me...
: Really? That's it?
: If I'd uncovered anything, naturally I would have more to say. But I didn't. So I don't.
: R-Right, understood...

> Taka

: I spent some time looking around the dormitory, and...
: There I made the discovery of the century! I found that there was exactly one room for each person!

: Well yeah, I figured that our before anything else...
: Each door already has a nameplate on it, so I guess all the rooms have been assigned already.
: And each room key was attached to a keychain with the owner's name precision-etched onto it.

Which confirms that the room I was in earlier is, in fact, my room.

: And Chihiro and I found out that all the rooms are totally soundproof.

: Your next-door neighbor could scream their lungs out, and you wouldn't hear a thing...
: Well, each room also had a private bathroom, which could also lock.
: But it looked like there were only locks on the bathrooms in the girls' dorms.

Huh? But when I checked my bathroom door before, it definitely seemed like it was locked... That's weird... I should double-check that later.

: Okay, so they got a bunch of rooms ready for us. They're assuming we're gonna be here a while...
: Well, better to have than have not! At least we don't have to worry about surviving like wild animals.
: Th-That can't be all you have to r-report, can it Mr. Honor S-Student?
: ...

: That's all for my report! Let's move on to whoever's next!

> Leon, Hiro, Junko and Chihiro

: We went all up and down the school, double-checking the windows in all the hallways and classes. We wanted to see if we could get any of those metal plates to come off. And what happened was...

: Nothing. Not a drat thing. We couldn't get a single one to budge even a little bit.
: There wasn't any hope of escape anywhere... The school really has been totally cut off.
: This sucks...

: It *really* sucks! It sucks sucks sucks sucks SUCKS! What the hell are we gonna do!?
: Goddamn, calm down! You're starting to make me nervous!

> Hina, Sakura, and Mondo

: We thought maybe we could find a way to communicate with the outside, so we went looking all over!
: But...we didn't find a thing. Sorry...

: I went back to the main hall, thinking maybe we could do something about that giant hunk of metal.
: But even with Sakura and me both, it wouldn't budge. We hit it with desks and chairs, and nothin'...
: It was hard as, like...metal.

: Well yes, it *is* metal...
: Anyway, if we're gonna get outta here, it's not gonna be through there.
: I feel like I could just cry... But no, I have to hold it in! I have to manage my hydration...!

: I shall tell you what happened next... It has nothing to do with communicating with the outside world, but it's still worth worrying about. In both the school and dorm areas, there was a set of stairs leading up to another floor.
: But there were gates there, and we couldn't find any way to open them, so we couldn't check it out.
: In other words, at this point we are only able to search the 1st floor.

: We can further assume that there is potentially something above the 2nd floor, as well. And if that's the case, there is at least a chance it may lead to a way out.

> Celeste, Toko, and Hifumi

: If I am being honest, I can't quite say we acted as one. Rather, we did *nothing* as one. We spent the entire time in the gym.

: Honestly, we are not exactly the types to go running around a school like a gaggle of junior detectives.
: What the hell were you thinking, just sitting around the gym the whole time?

: W-Well it's not like any of you i-invited me along! Nobody said hey, c-come with us! I blame y-you for leaving me out! I-It's your fault!
: If you wanted to go with someone, you should've just said something!
: Hmph. F-Forget it. Like I'd w-want to go anywhere with a dirty s-slut like you...
: Slut...?
: Your mind is as th-thin as your body. You m-make me sick to my s-stomach...

: I...I don't even know how to react. How can you say something so awful to someone you just met?

: Alright guys, everybody just calm down, okay? All this stress is bad for your skin, y'know?
: Yeah! It sounds like you two are so close now you're fighting like sisters!

I...don't think that's what going on, Sayaka...

: So that's what they have to say, huh? Then I guess I'm the only one left...

: I went and had a look around the dining hall... I found a fridge in the back of the kitchen, and it was overflowing with all kinds of stuff.
: I guess we don't have to worry about food at least.
: Sure, for now. But even with all that, there are fifteen of us. How long can the food last...?
: Y-You can just eat sesame s-seeds or something...

: Huh? What am I, a parakeet?
: I don't think we have to worry about it. All the food gets restocked automatically each day.
: At least, that's what Monokuma said...
: You saw him!?
: Yeah, he came out of nowhere while I was checking the fridge, told me that, then disappeared again. He was so fast, I can't believe someone could have been moving him around with a remote control...

: A weaponized toy that can just appear from nowhere... I can't tell if we're supposed to be afraid or not.
: But was everything okay? He didn't try to like, eat you or anything?
: E-Eat her...?

: Um, what do you mean by that? I mean, when you say "eat," what kind of eating are we talking about?
: C-Come on, man!

: What the hell, fatty!? You're acting like some kind of sleazy drunk dude.
: Not like there's a good kind of drunk dude...

: Hey! Stop screwing around, all of you! Are you still asleep or something? We're prisoners here! We could all just die any second!
: She's right. We can't be makin' stupid jokes right now. We gotta do something, or--!

A voice cut through the noise, interrupting Mondo.

Music fades out.

???: You're all spending an awful lot of time yelling and carrying on.

: Do you really think you can afford to do so? Have none of you accepted the reality of the situation?

: Kyoko! Where the heck have you been!? We already started the meeting without you!

She didn't say a word. Instead, she just dropped a piece of paper on the table.

: Huh? What's this...?
: It appears to be a map of Hope's Peak Academy.
: A map...?
: Wh-What the...? Where did you find this?

: It doesn't matter where I found it.
: It DOES matter! You're really freaking us out right now!
: Never mind that. What's it mean?

: Just look at it. The building we're in right now is laid out in precisely the same way as Hope's Peak Academy.
: So what you're saying is...this really is Hope's Peak Academy?
: Well, in terms of its construction, yes. But it looks like it's had a number of strange...renovations done to it.
: Renovations...?
: I don't know all the details yet. All I found was details about the 1st floor.

: But then...this really is Hope's Peak. We didn't get kidnapped and taken to some other place...
: So stupid it's not even possible. *This* is where the country's future elite are supposed to come and learn?

: But if this really is Hope's Peak, where are all the other students?
: Hey, come on, guys. Let's just stop talking about all this...you know, negative stuff...
: But aren't you worried? Things don't look good...
: Worried? What's there to be worried about? I mean, this was all planned out, right? The people in charge of Hope's Peak put this all together, right?

: Man, if I got stressed every time something like this happened, I'd have ectoplasm shooting out my mouth!
: Good things come to those who wait, right? So we just gotta chill and everything'll work itself out!

: Hahaha!
: Wh-Why are you laughing? What's so funny!?
: I am just happy, that is all. It seems splitting up to investigate was a good idea, after all.

: Haven't you b-been listening!? Looking around was a t-total waste of t-time! We d-didn't find a way out, didn't f-find who's behind this. We still have no idea what's g-going on!

: Huh? Is it not crystal clear to you what is going on?

: It is perfectly obvious that we have been imprisoned in some secret location, with no way out.

None of us had any response to that. We didn't want to accept that reality--but it was staring us right in the face.

: You didn't h-have to go and s-say that. I w-was trying not to th-think about it... N-No way out... We're t-trapped in here. What are w-we supposed to d-do...?

: It's very simple. If you want to leave, you just have to kill--
: Don't even joke about that!
: Everyone just calm down, please! We need to stop and think about what to do from here.
: There's gotta be *something* we can do...

: All we can do is adapt. Adapt to living out lives here from now on.

: Live here...? Are you saying we should just accept it?
: A lack of adaptability...is a lack of survivability. Survival is not based on who is the strongest or the smartest. It comes down to who can adapt.
: As someone who has come out on top more than once, I have a suggestion.
: Huh? What do you mean?

: We all understand that we are trapped here. Which means we will be spending the night. However... You all remember the rule regarding nighttime, right?

: So regarding this "nighttime," I think we need to add a rule of out own.
: What do you mean?

: Going out at nighttime should be prohibited altogether. The school regulations do not actually tell us not to go out at night. I would like to make it official.
: B-But why...?
: The way things are now, every time night comes we will all start to get worried and anxious.
: We will be afraid someone might try and come kill us.

: What!?
: If we have to worry about that night after night for who knows how long, it will wear us down in no time.

: So you're suggesting we limit our activity at night as a kind of preventative measure.
: However, unlike the other rules, nobody can be forced to comply. We all have to agree to follow it.
: I see what you mean. But...I think I can agree to that. It's just like the little goth lolita said. Without something like that, we're just gonna self-destruct.
: On behalf of all the men here, I agree to comply!

: Hey, you can't just decide to speak for us!

: So everyone is in agreement?
: Good. Then, if you will excuse me...
: Huh? Wait, where are you going?

: It is almost nighttime. I want to take a shower before it arrives.
: So...goodbye. *leaves*

Moving with pure elegance, Celeste left the dining hall. Hey behavior seemed so natural, I couldn't imagine anyone even trying to stop her.

: S-So I guess it's pretty obvious where we go from here. We'll be spending the night, it looks like.
: Adaptability...
: So, Mr. Chairman...what next? One person already left.
: U-Umm... Well then, what say we call an end to today's meeting!?

: Like she said, it's almost nighttime anyway. We can reconvene first thing tomorrow morning!
: Do we really have to stay the night here...?
: We don't have a choice. We can't go for long without getting some sleep.

: So we have to just give up...
: That's all f-fine and good for t-today, but what to we d-do tomorrow?

: Our only option is to split up and look around again, and let everyone know if we find anything.
: Yeah, okay. Let's do that...!
: Then we're done for today? Good, I'm exhausted... *leaves*

With heavy movements, everyone headed off to their private rooms.

: Makoto... Are you ready to call it a day?
: Yeah, let's go.
: The dining hall fades out and we return to our room by ourselves.

... Is this really where I'll be staying for the foreseeable future? Oh, that's right. I should check the bathroom one more time before I go to bed. Only the girls' bathrooms should have locks on them, right?

Alright, let's open it up...

*Rattle rattle*

: It's no use. It really is locked.

: Bzzt! Wrong! Not locked!
: Holy crap!
: Jeez, talk about an overreaction. It's like you just saw a ghost or somethin'!
: Like...some kind of...robot bear...ghost.
: Wh-What are you doing here!?

: Makoto Naegi, this is super duper majorly bad! So bad it's almost magical! Ultra magical awful awful attack!
: In point of fact, I acknowledge that the bathroom in your room as a problem with the doorframe!
: Wait, so the reason it won't open isn't because it's locked? The door just...doesn't fit?
: Didn't you see the notice? What, can't you read? The bathrooms in the boys' rooms don't have locks!
: I mean, a lock on a boy's bathroom is kinda pointless, don't you think?

: Well, it's not that it's pointless I guess. But I'm no expert on the birds and the bees and all that.

: Anyway, there's a little trick to opening this particular ill-fitting door. And that's what I'm here to teach you! Okay, ready? So you just gotta turn the doorknob, then lift up while you pull!
: Go ahead, give it a try!
: Turn the knob, and lift the door up while I pull...

When I did that, the door opened without a problem.

: Puhuhu... See? It opened right up! Isn't that crazy, though? Your door's the only one that doesn't fit quite right!
: You're supposed to be the Ultimate Lucky Student, right? But look like you're not lucky at all!
: Anyways, I suddenly don't feel like being here anymore. Bye! *leaves*

: H-Hey! Wait!

... Dammit...

Music cuts out.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Mm, ahem, this is a school announcement. It is now 10 p.m. As such, it is officially nighttime. Soon the doors to the dining hall will be locked, and entry at that point is strictly prohibited. Okay then...sweet dreams, everyone! Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...

Looks like it's nighttime. We all promised we wouldn't leave our rooms now.

: All I can do now is try and get some sleep...

While still mumbling to myself, I collapsed into bed. My eyes closed almost immediately. It's not that I was ready for bed, exactly. I was just utterly exhausted. It was as if I'd spent an entire day staring at a TV watching movies. Or like some kind of illusion where I'd been tossed into a made-up fantastical world.

: Yeah, that feels about right... There's no easy way to just accept the situation we've suddenly been dropped into.

So this is how the curtain closed on my first day at Hope's Peak Academy. Soon enough, I was asleep. Would it be too much to hope that when I woke up, I'd realize it was all a dream? It's kind of lame as far as endings go, but I'd be fine with that. Actually, that'd be the best...

: In any normal school, Mr. Monokuma would be a kind teacher. But when I think about what's coming up... I'm just so full of pride and joy. Our ceremony earlier today was absolutely splendid. Thank you all very much. Remember that you're all students of Hope's Peak Academy, and strive to refine your ideals. I swear to you, I will send you all off into a new tomorrow!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 19, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Oh hey, another DR thread.

I kinda wish they'd gotten Jim Cummings to do Monokuma's voice. Evil Winnie the Pooh or something.

And it's kind of odd Aoi goes by "'Hina" rather than her first name. But oh well.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And it's kind of odd Aoi goes by "'Hina" rather than her first name. But oh well.

Well, we've seen what happens when she tries to use that. :v:

Actually to be honest after the last thread was mostly last names I'm having a little trouble adjusting. That'll probably fix itself in time though.

On another note, is that "Ding dong, bing bong" supposed to be the Westminster chimes? I assume so because they're all over Japanese schools but I don't know for sure.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

AlphaKretin posted:

Well, we've seen what happens when she tries to use that. :v:

Actually to be honest after the last thread was mostly last names I'm having a little trouble adjusting. That'll probably fix itself in time though.

On another note, is that "Ding dong, bing bong" supposed to be the Westminster chimes? I assume so because they're all over Japanese schools but I don't know for sure.

I'm also much more used to Maizono instead of Sayaka, Naegi instead of Makoto, Togami instead of Byakuya, etc. :v: Oh well, hopefully it'll adjust soon enough.

Also, yeah, I'm pretty sure those are the Westminster chimes.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

No, in the last thread it was 'whichever of their names is easiest to remember'.

When you say Naegi I immediately know it's our protag. When you say Makoto, it's a typical Japanese consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel-consonant-vowel thing and as far as I'm concerned that could be any of the guys or girls.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Doesn't Celestia go for Name Surname a lot of the time? We could go with that.

Glad to see this game LPd again, I lurked around during the first run and drat that sparked a lot of things.

Speaking of the translation, man Ishimaru's title (the hall monitor/moral compass) is a bitch and an half. Is there any figure in American schools that evokes similar images to an hall monitor?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I found myself getting used to the name changes very quickly when I first played. It just comes with time.

As for Taka's title, in elementary school we had bus patrol, which were some students that ride the buses and basically kept us in order but that was only up until 6th grade for me. In middle and high school, the closest I can think of is class president or similar.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I remember hall monitors in grade school but they were paid adult staff, not other students.

I was aware that some schools used students for that, but I'm not sure where I got that from.

Have to agree that seeing them use first names instead of last is jarring after the first LP, but I'm sure we'll get used to it. Kyoko instead of Kirigiri confused me for a minute, and Taka, Hiro, Toko, and Hifumi all kind of blur together for me and I need to use context to figure out who they are talking about. On the other hand Byakuya, Leon, Junko, Chihiro, Sakura, Mondo, and Celeste were instantly recognizable for me, so I guess YMMV.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, I'd always referred to Byakuya and Kiyotaka by their surnames before. Especially since the former always reminded me of Seto Kaiba.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh hey, another DR thread.

I kinda wish they'd gotten Jim Cummings to do Monokuma's voice. Evil Winnie the Pooh or something.

Like I get why they would do a nickname for Hagakure, both his names are kinda long, but Aoi is SHORTER THAN HINA. That's not a good nickname!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!

Apparently, it's morning... But thanks to the total lack of windows, there's no way to know for sure. Anyway...what should I do now? ... Maybe I should go find Sayaka, and we can figure out where to go to from here together. She did say she's my assistant now.

: Okay, it's decided! I'm gonna head to her room!

With a newfound determination, I left my room.

: Sayaka's room is just to the left of our room, but a few other students are already out and about this morning. We can go talk to them before meeting Sayaka. As you can see, Taka is out and about in the hall.

: Good morning, Makoto!
: G-Good morning...

: Yes, morning greetings are quite a delight! Such an energizing way to start the day!
: Now then, let's make sure we both do our very best throughout the day!
: S-Sure...

I wonder if he's always like this...

: Hiro is in the laundry room, so let's pop in and see what he's up to.

: Hey, man...
: Good morning. What are you up to?
: I'm...doing my laundry. This *is* the laundry room, right?
: Are you feeling okay, Hiro? You look totally beat...
: Nah, I'm fine. Just tired... I spent all last night trying to contact the spirit world to find out why this is all happening to me...
: It took all the mental juice I had, too. But turns out, I failed.

Sounds like something the Ultimate Clairvoyant would get into. ...Actually, is that really fortune-telling?

: Over in the dining hall, some others are having breakfast.

: Good morning, Kyoko.
: ...Morning.

This doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

: Umm...

: Did you need something?
: Oh, uh...no, nothing in particular.
: Well then... *leaves*

She left. Kyoko seems kind of...how should I put it? Taciturn? Or maybe she just plays things cool.

: Oh, good morning Makoto...
: Good morning, Chihiro.

: You know... we're standing here exchanging morning greetings, but... We can't even look out the window to see if it really is morning...
: Y-Yeah, true...

: S-Sorry if that was kinda weird...!
: You don't have to apologize...
: Sorry...

She looks really sad. I feel like I did something wrong...

: Good morning, Byakuya. ...

Huh? Did he not hear me?

: Hey Byakuya! Good morning!

: Once is enough...
: Huh...?
: I'm only here to get breakfast. I have neither need nor desire to talk to you. Now withdraw.

So he *did* hear me. He just didn't respond.

: That's everyone we can see before talking to Sayaka, so let's go talk to her.

There's a doorbell next to the door. I guess I should use that.

*Ding dong*

: Hello...?
: Good morning, Sayaka.

: Oh, Makoto! Perfect timing!

: Listen, I have a [favor] to ask...

>favor

: A favor...?
: I was just getting ready to head out. If it's okay, would you like to come with me? Maybe we could talk...
: Yeah, sure. Where are you headed?
: Oh...umm... I've been thinking that...there might be something around here I could use for self-defense.
: Self-defense...?

: Well, I mean...whoever's keeping us here could show up and attack us at any time. You never know...

Whoever trapped us here... Whoever presented us with rules for murdering each other... Whoever put us in this insane position... She's right--we never know when they might attack.

: So I just...want to be able to protect myself no matter what happens.

A weapon to protect herself... Well now that I think about it, that display case in the gym entryway had a bunch of stuff. Maybe...

: Oh, the gym? Okay, let's go!
: A-Again...?
: Like I said, I'm psychic.
: Come on, I'm just kidding! Seriously, I just have amazing intuition.

Am I really so easy to predict? Anyway, we should head to the gym.

: For anyone who just haaates walking around the school, we've got some good news! You can now teleport using the "Map" section of the Handbook Menu. It's as simple as opening the Map Menu and choosing where you want to go! However, you can only teleport to hallways and marked waypoints. Plus, you can't teleport to places you haven't been, or places that are blocked off. And depending on certain story moments, there will be times when you won't be able to teleport at all. Finally, try not to teleport inside any walls. There's a chance you could get lost. Forever. Well then...good luck, and have fun!
: So, teleporting is super-useful. There's basically no downside to using teleports when playing unless you really feel like walking it or there's someone along the way you want to talk to. Speaking of teleports though, our Map is finally available to look at.

: The map just shows a general layout of the area you're in. Its most important feature is telling you where people are at most times.

: Character portraits will appear when someone is in an area, letting you know exactly where the person you're looking for is. You can view other areas and teleport through here as explained previously. So right now, we could teleport directly to the gym but if we do so we would miss out on a bunch of conversations with the other students. For example, Hifumi and Celeste are in the Dormitory halls.

: Hrrrm...!

: Mr. Naegi, Miss Maizono...! Wh-Where are the two of you off to!? A man and woman...growing closer...
: H-Hey! What are you trying to say!?
: Like when two people are stuck in a hostage situation and over the course of the story they fall in love...! There's really no other way to express it but to say...

: How very poetic!
: Makoto... Do you have any idea what he's talking about?
: Nope. I don't have a clue...

: Well. Hello. I hope the two of you are having a nice day.
: Good morning, Celeste.
: Exchanging such common greetings is somehow...strange.

: Given the circumstances and everything...

You know, sometimes...you scare me a little.

: Hmhmhm. Well, I'm off. *leaves*

: Should we get going?
: Yeah...

: In the 1st floor hallways, we can find the odd combination of Sakura, Hina and Toko waiting around together.

: Well look who is it! 'Sup guys?
: What are you up to?
: We're picking up where we left off yesterday. I'm really hopin' we find something today! If we do, I'll be sure to let everyone know ASAP!

: We have to find some way out of here, no matter what.
: And that's why you went with Hina and Toko?
: Well, Hina's the one that invited Toko. I have trouble talking to people directly...

Ah, understandable.

Toko together with those other two... Quite a combination.

: What do you w-want? You l-look like you have s-something to say...
: Oh, no. I was just thinking that you three make a pretty unique team.
: L-Let me make this perfectly c-clear! Me hanging out w-with two people who have muscles where th-their brains should be is not by ch-choice!
: Wow, that was super mean!

: Yesterday you were complaining how nobody invited you! That's the only reason I asked you to come with us!
: I never a-asked you to d-do that! S-Stop trying to drag me farther into y-your meat dimension! *leaves*

: Jeez, I can't believe she just ran off! You think we should go after her?
: We shouldn't pressure her any further.
: Oh yeah, good point...

They're like water and oil anyway. It'd be weird if they *did* get along.

: We can also go into the entrance hall to find Leon and Mondo hanging around.

: Man, what the hell is with this metal hatch thing? It's really on there, that's for drat sure. Anyways, there's nothing to do around here. Gonna friggin' die of boredom...
: And being stuck in here is keeping me from racing toward my dream, too.
: Your dream...?

: Yeah! To become a musician! You can sense my aura, right? The strongest vocals of the century right here!
: God, I feel so cool getting to say that in front of a national celebrity...

: ...Dreams...
: Did you say something?
: Oh, sorry. It's nothing. Come on, let's go.

: Mondo...? What are you doing?
: Trying to find a way out. I figured I'd give it another shot.
: There's gotta be a way to bust this thing open!

: But I suck at thinkin' stuff up, so I guess I'll let you guys figure it out.
: Once it's time to act, though, you just lemme know. I'll show you what a real man can do!
: Wow, sounds like we can really count on you.

: According to the map, Junko is in the School Store, so let's visit there. We haven't been in here before.

Yup, this is definitely the school store. But it has a kind of a Japanese/Western blend. It seems more like a cluttered antique store...

: Hey there, Ma~ko~to~! Ohh, is it just the two of you right now? Are you on a da~~te?
: Wh-What!?
: drat, Makoto! I never woulda guessed, but you're a total player, huh?

: No, no, it's nothing like that. I'm his assistant!

To be dismissed just like that is somehow...

: Huh? His assistant? What is that, like some new kinda roleplay thing?
: Well, whatever. What you're into is your business. I don't judge! Anyway, if you don't mind! *leaves*
: ...L-Let's just head to the gym already!

: Yeah, let's go.

: Next time, the gym.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 19, 2016

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I completely forgot the school store existed. Like, at all. Also I was kinda hoping Monokuma would berate the students in the morning greeting, like the "you bastards" from the previous LP. I understand why they didn't but it was still nice to have that sinister hint every time a new day started. Got things off on the right foot, so to speak.

Waffleman_ posted:

Like I get why they would do a nickname for Hagakure, both his names are kinda long, but Aoi is SHORTER THAN HINA. That's not a good nickname!

In Japanese, that isn't the case! Spelling out Aoi in kana is three characters, and Hina is two. But the nickname is translation only so that doesn't matter. Hina is still shorter to say when spoken though so that counts for something. Try to say Aoi too fast and you get, um, 'owie' :v:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Alright, I've made up my mind about the spoiler policy.

I will allow spoiler bar discussion of spoilers in the game. Just Danganronpa 1 though, I don't want any spoiler discussion of the sequels, light novels, comics or animation in here.

Let's try and keep it reasonable. There's no reason to turn the thread into a CIA level confidential document.

The updates will continue to be written without any mention of spoilers, of course. I'm going to go update the OP with this change.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 21, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I think we can make a gentleman's agreement here not to spoil the biggest twist, while still feeling free to discuss other, lesser spoilers, yes? I feel the reaction is worth it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I guess I'm along for this one, although since I saw the first game I really am waiting on the DR 2 translation LP, which left off at an inconvenient place. It's harder to get used to the names, although I'll cope, it took a while to remember who was who in the first LP as well.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Here we go. I might be able to find something here to protect myself with...
: Yeah, I'm sure I'll find something in the display case I can use.

: Self-defense, huh? That sword seems like the most useful thing available.

Is this...a sword? Oh, no, I think it's just a replica. Still, it's pretty impressive. It's completely covered in a gold coating. But...

: Jeez! I barely touched it and I got that gold stuff all over my hands.

: Wow, you're right. Your hands are totally gold! Even just for self-defense, I think it's a little...
: Well, it's still better than nothing, I guess.

: You should take it with you! It might help liven up your room a little.
: You think so?

: But I guess you'd better be careful taking it back. You should wrap it in newspaper or something.

And just like that, it's been decided...

: I don't see anything I could really use for self-defense...
: H-Hey, don't worry about it! It's not like you need it right away, right? Plus, if anything *were* to happen... When the time comes...I'll protect you.

: You'll...protect me?

: Thank you for saying that... If I've got you on my side, I guess I don't need a weapon after all!

Sayaka giggled as she said that. That mysterious smile... I can tell it comes from the heart. It makes me feel at ease... When I look at her, I honestly feel like I can do anything.

: Okay, we can stop looking for a weapon, then. But as long as we're here, let's hang out a bit more.

: Umm......
: I know I said I wanted to talk to you, but now that we're here...I don't really know what to talk about.

: And I was the one who invited you to come with me, too. Sorry...
: It's okay. I mean, if there's nothing to talk about, then we can just not talk, right?
: Huh?
: You don't have to force yourself to talk. We can just, I dunno...stare off into space or whatever.

: Stare off into space...?
: Oh, but you're probably super bored! Just standing around doing nothing...
: No, it's not that it's boring. It's just...

: I've never really done it before. I don't have a lot of time to just...do nothing.
: I-I guess that makes sense. You're not a normal high school student like me. You've got tons of stuff to do every day.
: ...Hey, um...this is kinda out of nowhere, but... Makoto, do you have a [dream]?

> dream

: Well...what about you, Sayaka? What's your dream? I'd love to hear...

: I... My dream is... I've always wanted to be a star, as long as I can remember. I grew up without a mother, you know... And my dad worked really late every night. I was always home alone... I was just a kid, ya know? So I was really lonely. But that all changed when I saw a pop star on TV for the first time. She was so pretty, like a princess. And she could sing, and dance... But more than anything else, there was her smile. Looking at her smile, I could feel my loneliness melting away. I decided that's what I wanted to be someday. I wanted to give that kind of encouragement to others.

: Eventually, that became my dream.
: That's so amazing, though. You were able to actually fulfill your lifelong dream. Honestly, it's really incredible.

: ...I did whatever it took to reach that dream. I mean it. Even some things that...weren't so pleasant.

: I honestly believed that as long as you kept chasing your dreams, someday they had to come true. But to do that, you can't take your eyes off of your dream, not even for a second. Even if sometimes it's a bad dream... Whether you're awake, whether you're asleep... To make your dream a reality, you have to keep your gaze fixed on it no matter what.
: In that world, if you lose focus for even a split second, you get left behind. You have to keep on swimming against the current, without even taking time to breathe... That's the kind of world my dream lives in.
: I-Is it really that tough? Is it not fun at all?

: Oh no, don't get the wrong idea. It's super fun!
: But...that's exactly what scares me.

: I enjoy every single day I wake up and get to do what I do. Everyone in our group is amazing. We're rivals in a way, but they all mean so much to me. We've been performing together since we were young, so they're all like family to me. Without them, I would have given up on my dream a long time ago. To work together, and fulfill our dreams together, has brought me so much happiness...
: But that's the thing that scares me the most. If the world gets tired of us, then what happens? What happens to us? Then the dream dies, those wonderful days come to an end, and everyone goes their separate ways...

S-Sayaka... She's trembling... She must be terrified. She worked so hard, sacrificed so much, to get where she is. She must be terrified of losing it.

: So that's the reason I decided to come to Hope's Peak.
: Huh? What do you mean?
: Well...they say that if you graduate from here, success is basically guaranteed. Which means I could keep on performing with my best friends, for ever and ever. At least, that's what I thought. I really did believe that, but...now we're trapped here, with no way out. They're probably waiting for me...

: While I'm in here, the world out there is forgetting about me. Minute by minute, we're all disappearing. But still...
: Sayaka...?

: I can't afford to be stuck in here!

That was the first time I heard her cry out from deep within herself. She sounds...desperate. But I can understand why she'd feel that way. Trapped here this way, the dream she put so much effort into is on the verge of disappearing forever. And that isn't something that can be fixed with a few kind words. The weight she's carrying... I can't even imagine it.

: Ah--I'm sorry, I didn't mean to complain..
: I kinda killed the mood, huh?
: No, not at all.
: I'm really sorry...
: ... Um, Sayaka...Actually, are you hungry? Before we head back, why don't we go to the dining hall and get some food?
: ...So...

: You want me to make us something to eat? I might not look like it, but I'm actually a pretty good cook!
: Wow, really? What's your specialty?

: Chili oil.
: You mean the condiment!?

: Hahaha. Just kidding!

She burst out laughing. Her earlier mood disappeared, replaced by the bright smile I'd quickly grown used to. But how'd it happen so fast? It was almost like a mask, like some kind of neutral expression.

Anyways, we headed to the dining hall to get something to eat before returning to our rooms.

The only thing in my room is...a fake sword covered in gold. All it does is make me feel that much more uncomfortable. Anyway, there's still plenty of time left in the day. I really don't feel like just sitting here. Maybe I'll take a look around...

: You're about to have your first experience with Free Time. As you live out your school life here, you will be given free time at certain points. During your free time, you can spend time with your fellow classmates to deepen your friendships. You can also give them presents, which can potentially give them an even better impression of you! You can get these presents from the MonoMono Machine in the school store. Come by early and often!
: At certain points, you'll witness intimate events, and new info will be added to each person's report card. These events can also open up new skills, which will prove useful as everything plays out. We strongly encourage you to develop and deepen as many friendships as you can! Also keep in mind that when you talk with a classmate time will pass... When you're finished, you will automatically return to your room.
: After a certain amount of time passes, your free time will come to an end and the story will progress. If you'd prefer not to engage in free time, you can always choose to simply go to sleep to skip it. We wouldn't recommend this approach, but if you absolutely MUST press forward with the story, then...
: Anyways, why don't you try it out by spending some time with Miss Sayaka Maizono? She's the ideal partner to begin with, don't you think?

: So Free Time is where we get to spend some time with the other students and see what they have to say about the situation and their lives. We are forced to meet with Sayaka for the first one as tutorial, but after that we are free to hang out with anyone we want. Additionally, some people will be unavailable to spend time with on occasion.
: My plan with free time is to choose who to spend time with on my own. As was mentioned, skills can be earned from free times and are very useful to have for a the trial portions. I'd like to get myself some early skills that will help throughout the LP but to do so I need to choose who to spend time with myself. Additionally, it allows me to create a backlog of updates and work ahead since I don't have to stop for impromptu voting.
: So then, next time, we'll spend some Free Time with the others.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't know if it's just me, but the whole paper cutout artstyle seems a whole lot less pronounced here than in the PSP version. Maybe it's just because we're mostly seeing cutscenes. :shrug:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I think it's more that the increased resolution for the backgrounds makes the characters not seem so out of place as in the original.

In motion it's probably still really obvious.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 23, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

quote:

: I can't afford to be stuck in here!

Looks an awful lot like despair has already hit. Our boy Makoto (Naegi?) doesn't seem to get that whole faking a smile thing just yet.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Will you be showing off all the free time events?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I will try to. The Vita version introduces a postgame mode called School Mode that allows you to see the rest of the free time events that you missed without having to replay chapters. DR1 also has fewer free times than DR2 does due to each character having varying numbers of events in this game, so it shouldn't be an unreasonable amount of events to view after the game is over.

Also, the cardboard effect is still very noticeable in motion, it just doesn't show up well in conversations.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

FPzero posted:

As for a general plot, without getting into spoilers too much, some people have described the game as a mix between Battle Royale and Phoenix Wright.

I keep thinking of this game as the anime game adaptation of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FPzero posted:

I will try to. The Vita version introduces a postgame mode called School Mode that allows you to see the rest of the free time events that you missed without having to replay chapters. DR1 also has fewer free times than DR2 does due to each character having varying numbers of events in this game, so it shouldn't be an unreasonable amount of events to view after the game is over.

If you've got a completed game file sitting around somewhere it might be better to spread out the missed events throughout the LP so it's not as big a dump at the end.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
From what's been said, is it impossible to get all the free time events within the story? Having read the old LP, I know that some of the characters have very limited time frames when they can be done.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

mkwong98 posted:

I keep thinking of this game as the anime game adaptation of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)

Japan had a little Mafia (in its werewolf-themed variant) craze a few years back, and you can still find a lot of stuff based on that game around. In particular, there's an actual DR licensed mafia-like card game out there.

There's also another murder-game PSP adventure where the murder game is much more directly influenced by Mafia/Werewolf: Tsugi no Giseisha wo Oshirase Shimasu (Now Announcing the Next Victim). It's in three parts and I played a little bit of it. It seems somewhat interesting but a whole lot more generic than DR.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's not possible to see all the Free Times in one playthrough. You are only given a limited amount of Free Time throughout the game. I'm thinking I might be able to use the School Mode to show the Free Times for characters who are dead but it depends on if the School Mode touches upon spoilers or not. I haven't actually done the School Mode in this game before, only its equivalent in DR2. I'll see if there's a good way to incorporate the Free Times as we go instead of dumping them at the end but don't expect me to work on them for at least a little while.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

You should be okay for the spoilers. There is one, but it is fairly minor

During the introduction Monokuma mentions that some of the Monokumas were destroyed, referring to the one in the introduction and the one later on.

Nothing else said in the mode is a spoiler, I believe.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Before we begin Free Time, we need to get some things. Remember this machine from a previous update? Well the time has finally come to talk about presents.
: Presents are used in conjunction with Free Time. Each person has presents that they like, love and hate. There are something around 100 presents that you can give out and a few more that are related to progression through the game's chapters and postgame stuff. There isn't really a good way to figure out what presents someone will or won't like because while you can make some good educated guesses based on each present's description and what you know of everyone's characters, occasionally there will be a few things you think they might love/hate that they actually think the opposite of. If you give a present they love, you only need to give them that one present. If it's just something they find acceptable, you may need to give them a second one.
: The presents themselves come from this machine in the school store called the MonoMono Machine. This is also where the Monocoins we've been picking up are used.

: So here's how the machine works. You put in at least one coin and push X to get a present.

: It's very simple. However, as you get more presents, the Repeat % number will go up, telling you the chance of getting a repeat present. You can make this number go down by using more coins but I've found it to not usually be worth it to use too many. As long as you have a wide enough variety of presents, you're sure to have something that a person will love. Not only that, but you receive lots of coins at the end of each chapter, meaning that the next time you come here you could have an easy 50+ spins. You can also give someone the same present twice and there's no downside. It's really not hard to have presents the people you want to spend Free Time with will love.

: Also, you will randomly get a free bonus spin. This spin does take into account the Repeat %.

: I spent all the coins I had since having a variety of presents in Chapter 1 is difficult due to the low number of coins available at this point in the game. You can see that our presents list is beginning to fill up.

: Now that we have presents, we can begin Free Time in earnest.

: As mentioned, the game requires you to visit with Sayaka for the first Free Time, so let's see how she's doing.

I guess I should press the doorbell...

*Ding dong*

: You know, Makoto... I'm so anxious. I really am afraid...

> Spend some time with Sayaka

: Are you going to...try and cheer me up?
: Sorry for making you take time out of your day like this...

I did my best to comfort Sayaka. Sayaka and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Cherry Blossom Bouquet: A collection of branches from a sakura tree. In the language of flowers, cherry blossoms represent "a woman of superior beauty."

: To receive something so wonderful makes me happy, but...

: ...to get it from you, Makoto... I can't begin to describe the feeling...!

Seeing Sayaka so pleased with something I gave her makes me happy!

: Umm, Makoto? Do you think you could make time for the two of us to talk?
: Wh-What's wrong? Why are you being so formal?

: W-Well, it's just... I guess that was kind of formal, but... it's just because I know I can count on you.
: ...Huh?

: Having you by my side really makes me feel a lot better.
: If you weren't here with me, I just don't know what I'd do. I'd be lost...
: I hate that we had to meet again under such awful conditions, but...I'm relieved you're with me.
: Sayaka...

Standing here face to face and hearing her say that... It's nice, but...kind of embarrassing at the same time.

: I...know how you feel. You being here is what saved me...
: R-Really? Ehehe. Thank you for the flattery.

That smile... That mysterious smile that softens my heart... I really wasn't flattering her. That smile saved me.

: But it's kind of strange, you know? I never thought I'd get a chance to really talk to you like this. All through middle school, you never talked to me. In fact, you never even looked at me.
: It's because you were like a celebrity. I couldn't just go around staring at you... Wait, how do you know I never looked at you?

: Because I looked at you all the time...
: ...Huh?
: I was always looking for an opportunity to talk to you.
: You...wanted to talk to me?

: But since I always had so many people around me, we ended up graduating without saying a word. That was one of my biggest regrets.
: But why me?

: Do you remember during our first year of junior high, that huge bird wandered into the school pond?

Actually, now that I think about it...I do sorta remember something like that...

: It was like something out of a fairy tale. The turtle one every million years, that bird once every thousand...

A huge bird wandered into the school pond during our first year of junior high... I think it might have been...

> Crane

: It was a crane! It just walked right into the pond.

: That's right! That's what it was. It was so big, the teacher had no idea what to do.
: But you led it into the forest behind the school. You helped it find its way out.

Well, only cuz I was already in charge of taking care of the animals at school. They made me do it...

: I should have said thank you then, but...is it okay if I do it now?
: Thank me...?
: I'm that crane, you see. I've come to return the favor. Here, let me make you a cloak...
: The closest reference I could find to cranes and cloaks were legends of Swan Maidens that come from various cultures, including Japan. They typically have to do with a man stealing a cloak of feathers from a swan maiden so she cannot fly away, then marries her. She bears his children, then at some point gets her cloak back and flies away.

: Ehehe. Just kidding!
: Y-Yeah, I kinda figured...
: Honestly though, I was so impressed... That's why I always wanted to talk to you, even just once.
: I never imagined this would be how I got my chance...

Yeah. If we'd met again at a train station somewhere downtown, that'd make for a nice dramatic reunion. But instead it's this weird school.

: Maybe, but still... I'm sure you'll help me find my way out, just like that crane. You'll save me.
: It's just intuition, I know, but I still believe it.

I'm going to save her...?

: I'll do my best, I promise that. I'll make sure it's more than intuition. If there's anything I can do, I'm going to do it...!
: I believe in you. Besides, my intuition always turns out to be right.
: Cuz I'm psychic.

: Ehehe. Kidding, kidding!

She laughed out loud as she said it. The closer we get, the stronger that smile of hers makes me. ...I was glad to feel that way.

: Sayaka's Report Card has been updated based on your experience with her. You just unlocked the skill Melodious Voice! Give yourself a pat on the back. You've earned it!

Once we were all done, I headed back to my room for a little while...

No Music.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Mm, ahem, this is a school announcement. It is now 10 p.m. As such, it is officially nighttime. Soon the doors to the dining hall will be locked, and entry at that point is strictly prohibited. Okay then...sweet dreams, everyone! Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...

Today's already come to an end. But I swear...tomorrow I'm going to find some kind of clue! I swear!

As my eyelids began to slide closed...the conversation I'd had with Sayaka that morning began to replay. In a way, it's almost frustrating... Even if I understand where her desperation is coming from, I can't share in it. The pressure she's under is way different from anything a normal high school like me goes through. She didn't just stumble into this school the way I did. So I can't say I feel things the way she does. Compared to her...no, compared to everyone else here...there's no doubt I just don't match up. I guess that might explain my own frustration...

: Ahem, so...I'm sure that you've noticed the killing game has begun, but... there's still room for a little laughter. It seems our newest students, already so filled with despair, still have some hope of escape! Puhuhu... So when will it begin? When will their hope begin to die? Is it time yet? Is it time!? Heartpounding excitement!

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!

Morning has come. What should I do today?

: We have another 2 Free Times today. Because we only have a few presents, our choice for who to visit with is a little more limited than it will be in future chapters, but I decided to visit with Leon and Byakuya. We have gifts they both love and they also have skills that will help us more than Sayaka's skill will right now. Convenient!

: We can find Leon in the halls of the Dormitory.

: What're you doing, Makoto!? We gotta hurry up and find a way outta here!

> Spend some time with Leon

: Y-You're not trying to get me alone so you can kill me, are you...?
: My fans will all go psycho on you if you do! I'm as popular as any international superstar!

: But if you're NOT gonna murder me, then let's hang out. I don't really wanna be alone, anyway...

I spent some time with Leon... Leon and I grew a little closer today.

Project Zombie: A mature game designed for the Funplane, where a former runway model takes zombies as slaves in a post-apocalyptic world. It's been out of print for a while...

: Are you making GBS threads me? I can have this!?
: This is cool. Super cool! I feel like maybe I do't even hafta get outta here anymore!
: Hah! Yeah, right! I still totally hafta get outta here.

Seeing Leon so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: I'm not even afraid anymore. Now I'm just pissed off...
: Why!? Why is this happening to me!? This isn't fair, man! I mean, am I wrong?
: Oh, um... Yeah, it really isn't.

: Right!? Totally unfair. Ultra unfair! Just like having to shave my head right before every baseball game!
: Well, I mean...you chose to do that, right?

: C'mon, man! Are *you* against me now, too!? I didn't even wanna play! But the coach and all the teachers begged me, so I did it! And then they made me shave my head, just cuz it's "tradition." How's that fair!?
: You really hate baseball that much, huh...?
: drat straight I do! Who has fun running around on a dusty field for three hours!?

But...for baseball players, the field is like sacred ground, isn't it?

: But it's so not cool! Spending all that time at practice, getting covered in sweat and dirt...
: It's just baseball, right? It's easy! Who needs practice!?

I think the gods picked the wrong person to bless with that much talent...

: Still...I gotta admit, baseball wasn't all bad. It did have a few things going for it...
: Yeah, right? Like the feeling of camaraderie between you and your teammates!
: Nah, nothin' like that! I can't stand being around a bunch of sweaty guys. So totally uncool!
: Then...what did you like about it?

: Well, I hate studying, right? But I still got into this super fancy school on a sports scholarship. As long as I kept playing, I never had to study! And besides that...
: It made me super popular with the ladies! Booya! Ya jealous? I got to third base in more ways than one, if ya know what I'm sayin'! ...Just kidding!
: Heh-heh. I got plenty more where that came from! I'll tell ya more about it next time. Anyway, let's hang out again sometime! Talking to you helps me keep my mind off this place... *leaves*

With a smile on his face and a spring in his step, Leon strolled away. I'm not really sure why, but I guess Leon likes hanging out with me...

: Leon's Report Card has been updated based on your experience with him. You just unlocked the skill Robot Jock! Give yourself a pat on the back. You've earned it!

Once we were all done, I headed back to my room for a little while...

There's still lots of time left in the day. I really don't feel like just sitting here. Maybe I'll take a look around...

: For the next Free Time, we can find Byakuya in the dining hall.

: So the only way to get out of here is to kill someone. Interesting...

> Spend some time with Byakuya

I spent some time with Byakuya in silence... Byakuya and I grew a little closer today.

Prince Shotoku's Globe: A spherical representation of Earth, about the size of a softball. Some believe it to be an "OOPArt" since it depicts a round Earth, despite being many centuries old.

: Now this is a rare moment. Coming from a noble family, I've never been exposed to such vulgarity. Interesting. I think I'll keep it.

Seeing Byakuya so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: ...I have a question for you.
: Huh? You do?

: Something's been bothering me for a while now, and I can't take it anymore. So to answer my question...
: I need you to explain to me what exactly your "Ultimate Lucky Student" title means.
: Oh, well... I don't totally get it myself, but...what I do know is that I was picked at random from a pool of normal students.
: So you just got into Hope's Peak by blind luck.
: I see. Well that answers my question.
: What was the question...?
: How a commoner like you, with absolutely no unique talents or abilities, could get into this school.

: Oh, I forgot to mention boring. How a boring, untalented, utterly generic commoner got in...

Boring? Generic?

: D-Did you really have to list all that off?
: But it's the truth.
: Maybe compared to you, the Ultimate Affluent Progeny and all... But even I--!

: You seem to think it's merely an issue of title. But make no mistake... My lineage, intelligence, figure, athletic ability--they are all ultimate.

: Which is to say, I am the Ultimate Perfection. Feel free to begin calling me that, in fact.

He's really taking this to the extreme...

: You, who have nothing. I, who have everything. We are living proof that all men are *not* created equal. You have my pity, Makoto. Life can be very cruel indeed.
: And because I pity you so much, perhaps someday I'll allow you to hear my tale of glory. Consider it a blessing, a gift from me to you, to allow you to bask in my glory. *leaves*

Having finished his mean-spirited lecture, Byakuya left me standing there in silence.

: I learned one thing about Byakuya today... Anytime I talk to him, I need to be prepared for extreme psychological trauma.

: Byakuya's Report Card has been updated based on your experience with him. You just unlocked the skill Cool and Composed! Give yourself a pat on the back. You've earned it!

I did my best to keep my spirit from shattering like glass, and went back to my room.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

The third day here has already come to an end. When will I--no, we... When are we gonna get out of here? I laid on my bed and stared blankly at the ceiling. And before I knew it, I'd fallen into an uneasy sleep.

: I need an immediate, fast-acting pick-me-up! If it doesn't act now, it's the same as giving in to regret. What do you think guides the world? Speed, of course! That's why Formula One drivers are so popular! Any idiot can accomplish something if they take it slow. Even a human piece of excrement could create a masterpiece if they spent their entire life on it! Someone who does things in a timely fashion is both wise and admirable. Straight is better than a curve or an angle. Freestyle is better than the backstroke or breaststroke! Drive-thru is better than sit-down! A Sunday comic artist is smarter than a graphic novelist! What I'm saying is, speed is the gold standard of the standard world. Which is why I said I need that pick-me-up! (Meanwhile, 0.000002 seconds later...)

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 19, 2016

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Ah, I'm glad someone's LPing the localisation! I mean, I played through it and the sequel already, but since I missed the original LP it'll be fun to discuss it real-time, as it were. The Moral Compass thing still bothers me; my school had a close analogue to Ishimaru, I mean, Taka's role in the form of prefects, but I guess that's equally as foreign to an American audience.

Also, regarding the Free Time/School Mode issue, some of the dialogue before the actual scene references things you'd know if you'd already played through the game. It wouldn't be hard to skip it, but it also gives some extra characterisation and flavour. Some of my favourite dialogue in School Mode is from a particular walking spoiler. It'd be a pity to deprive people who know the twist from seeing it, but then how do you include it without spoiling others?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong, bing bong*

I woke up to the irritating sound of Monokuma's voice; I slowly pulled myself out of bed.

: Gh... Another night of restless sleep. Day after day, I can feel the fatigue piling up...

As soon as the thought had cross my mind...

*Ding dong*

The sound of the doorbell forced its way into my room.

: A fantastic morning, isn't it!?
: T-Taka?
: Now then, if you'll pardon the interruption!

Without waiting for a reply, Taka barged into my room.

: ...What's up, Taka?
: No matter how intensely the stormy seas may batter me, I will not fall as long as my feet are firmly planted! ...You agree, right?
: U-Um, I'm not sure I understand...
: And if you can't do it alone, just find someone to support you, and you can support them back!

: That's how you can overcome any storm!
: I was thinking about it last night, and...I decided we all need to really come together. And that was when I realized... Every morning from now on, after the morning announcement, everyone should have breakfast together!

: And now is the beginning of that fateful day! Please head to the dining hall at your earliest convenience!
: That's all for now! I have to go let everyone else know the good news! *leaves*

Taka didn't even wait for a reply. He turned and left, before I could say a thing.

: Well...I guess I'd better head to the dining hall.

: As usual, we can find a few people out in the hallway before we go to the dining hall.

: Makoto! Can't any of you guys get a freakin' clue!?
: Huh?
: My mascara's totally clumpy! I don't want anyone to see me this way, but Taka came and woke me up. What a dick!
: You look just the same as yesterday to me...
: As if! It's like night and day!
: S-Sorry...

: Ugh! I seriously need to reapply, but there's nothing I can do about it now... Maybe I'll go see if Celeste can hook me up... *leaves*
: ...And that's that.

We've been imprisoned here, and that's what she's worried about right now...

: Ugh, so freakin' tired...
: The hell's wrong with that guy...? Did he wake you up, too?
: Yeah, he sure did. I guess he's going around waking up everyone.
: It's seriously annoying.

: I'm goin' back to bed. If anyone needs me, I'll be in my room.
: I don't think it'll do any good. I'm sure he'll just come bug you again.
: Yeah, prolly. Dammit... I guess we'd better just go, then. *leaves*
: ...And that's that.

: Um, Toko?

: Wh-What...?
: Oh, I was just wondering what you were doing here. You should probably head to the dining hall, right?
: I-I-I know! I just need to p-prepare myself mentally...

Prepare herself? What is she talking about...?

: Ahh, I'm so n-nervous. *leaves*

...What's she so nervous about?

: Everyone has gathered in the dining hall now. We must talk to Taka to proceed.

: Okay, looks like everyone's here. So then, let's begin our very first "breakfast meeting"!

: Everyone, thank you for making time in your busy schedules to come together.
: I didn't make time for poo poo. You dragged me here...
: I know I already mentioned this earlier, but... In order to get out of here, it is essential that we all cooperate with each other. And the first step is this breakfast meeting, to allow us to become friends and build trust! So from now on, let's all meet here in the dining hall every morning after the morning announcement! Now then, let's eat!

: You w-want me to eat breakfast with other p-people? I've never done that b-before. I'm not s-sure...
: Yeah, it's been a while for me, too.

: Well anyway...did anyone happen to come up with any clues?

Silence echoed throughout the dining hall.

: Seriously? Nothing at all!?
: Anything, it can be about how to get out, or who's doing this, nobody has anything!?

Music cuts out.

: ...You are going to die.
: If you can't stop yourself from showing weakness in front of others...you will die.
: Wh-What the hell? Don't even freaking joke about that!

: I am not joking. Adaptability is survivability. Did I not say so? So you'd better hurry up and adapt to your new life here.
: Have you gone completely insane? Adapt to my new life here? Do you have any idea what you're saying?
: Yeah, sounds like the girl wants to live here. And hell, more power to her. But poo poo...

: No way in hell am I living here! I'm gettin' outta here, I don't give a poo poo!
: Hmhm. Sure, feel free.
: Okay, so...nobody has any clues?

: One thing I can tell you is who's behind all this. Something who's totally weird and messed up. Why else would we be trapped in here in the first place?
: Well, sure, it could be something like that. But for right now, actual clues are...

: U-Umm...
: Huh? What's up?
: If you think in terms of people who are really abnormal or bizarre... Do you think maybe the person responsible for all this could be a [certain murderous fiend]...?

> certain murderous fiend

: A murderous fiend... Chihiro, do you have some idea who might be behind all this?
: Well...maybe. I mean, I can't really be certain, but...
: Certainty is not a concern right now! I'll allow whatever remarks you may have!

: O-Okay, well... Have you guys heard of Genocide Jack?
: You mean that serial killer that's been in the news and all over the Internet?
: The monstrous villain who's murdered scores of victims in brutally bizarre fashion... The word "bloodlust" was left at each murder scene, written in the victim's own blood. Whoever is is, he's like a ghost. He strikes without warning, and disappears without a trace. And on the Internet, they started calling him...

: Genocide Jack. That about covers it, I think.
: They say he's claimed over a thousand victims...
: That's just an urban legend though, right? I mean even like, ten people would be totally insane.
: Anyway, whoever Genocide Jack really is, he's obviously some kind of super crazy killer.

: And if he really is this "ultimate" psycho, I wouldn't be surprised if he put together something like this.
: But like I said, I can't be certain. I don't have any evidence or anything. It's just a thought...
: But if they're the killer, isn't that like a killer of a problem for us!?

: It's okay! Everything's absolutely, positively, one hundred percent without a doubt gonna be okay! Cuz help's gonna be here soon, I'm sure of it!
: Huh...? H-Help?
: We've been stuck in here a few days already, right? Nobody's been able to contact us, so I'm sure they're getting worried. I bet they called the police already!

???: AHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

: The police? You're putting your faith in the police!?
: What are you doing here!?
: You guys, seriously... Do you understand what role the police exist to fill? All they're good for is being a foil, playing against a villain or anti-hero or evil organization. The bad guys come along and destroy them, and that shows just how badass they really are.
: Are you sure you wanna rely on such an unreliable group of losers?
: I mean come on! If you really, REALLY wanna get out of here, all you gotta do is kill!

: Hahahaha!
: Why the hell are you laughing?
: I'm just impressed at the total commitment to this whole act.
: ...You're still going on about that?
: So, mister serial killer psycho freak bastard...what the hell do you want!?

: Mr. Serialkillerpsychofreakbastard, huh? That's a pretty long name! German, maybe?
: We know who you really are!

: Maybe if I ignore him, he'll just go away...
: Hey! Don't ignore me, rear end in a top hat!
: Okay, okay, let's get back to business. Your life here has already begun and a couple of days have gone by, and nobody's killing anybody!

: I thought all you kids were lazy and selfish, and here you are working together. But I'm totally bored!
: There's nothing you can say that'll make us start killing each other...
: Wait, I think--yes! Ding ding ding! I figured it out!
: All the mystery ingredients are here--right people, right place. So why hasn't anyone killed anyone yet? That's what I couldn't understand. But I just realized there was one very important piece missing!
: Wh-What are you...?

: If you wanna know, I'll tell ya! It's motive! Puhuhu!
: It's so simple! I just have to give everyone a motive!
: Motive? What the gently caress are you talking about!?
: Oh, by the way! There's something I wanna show you guys!
: Stop changing the goddamn subject!
: I have a little video I'd like you all to see.

: Oh, but don't worry. It's not some pervy "adult" video or anything. Seriously, it's nothing like that! It's a special video for each of you showing what's going on outside the school.
: Outside the school...? What are you talking about?
: Heh-heh! Ooh, Master's so impatient today! Why don't you just watch it and find out?
: Here in the school, there's a specific place you can go that has everything you need to watch the video.

: Good, then we can go watch the video right now. But before we do that, I'd like to know...

: What are you? Why would you do something like this? What do you want from us?
: What do I want from you...? Well, if you must know...

: Despair. That's all.

: If you want to know more than that, you'll have to figure it out for yourselves. Do whatever you need to to uncover the mystery hidden within this school. I won't try and stop you.

: Cuz to be honest, it's entertaining as heck watching you guys search so desperately for answer!
: So I guess I want amusement from you, too. *leaves*

: He's gone... And once again, he left before we could find out anything useful.
: Really? I think we learned something *very* useful. He has no intention of standing in the way of our pursuit of the truth. Interesting...

: Perhaps, but what about the video he mentioned? I'm very curious to see what's on it.
: Same here! Okay, so...!

Mondo started glancing around the dining hall...but when he gaze landed on me, he stopped.

: Hey Makoto! Check this out for us, would ya?
: Huh? Why me!?
: Cuz you're the closest to the door! That's the rule, right?
: R-Rule...?

: Hey, hey... Hey hey hey hey hey!
: HEEEEEY!!!

: You see how passionately I'm begging you!? What's the big deal? Just check it out real quick!
: ... O-Okay...I guess I'll get going, then.
: Awesome, thanks! I owe ya one!

: ...If Makoto's going, I'm going with him. It's not safe to walk around this place alone.
: Yeah, sure thing. Then we're countin' on both of ya! If anything happens, just yell and I'll come runnin'!

: I can't decide if Mondo is totally dependable or completely terrible...
: Yeah, I'd have to say he's kind of both.

He's not exactly a bad person... But I definitely can't say he's a good person, either.

: So then, where's this "specific place" Monokuma mentioned? It must be somewhere you can watch DVDs, but...

If it's a place set up to watch DVDs, then...

: We haven't had need to visit it until now but in the 1st floor hallways, there is an Audio/Video room! That's the specific place Monokuma mentioned.

: Next time, we'll check out the video he so desperately wants us to see.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 19, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I still love this BMG a lot.

...Genocide Jack is a name that will take some getting used to. Why didn't they translate it as Genocide Sho?

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

I still love this BMG a lot.

...Genocide Jack is a name that will take some getting used to. Why didn't they translate it as Genocide Sho?

Probably as a way to translate a serial killer more well known in the west. Jack most likely being a reference to Jack the Ripper, which I think was used in the fantranslation game.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

In my opinion it sounds good because of the hard G/J sounds that make up the start of both words. Additionally there's a later reference that gets made with the name. I have a complaint about it that I'll bring up when it's appropriate but otherwise.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

Genocider Jack is one translation I like a lot (as opposed to most other "localization"-style choices made here) - it pretty much nails the original nickname, and would even sound good back-translated into Japanese. I really really don't like what they do with the name later on, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Got a Mondo portrait at the end there instead of Makoto.

Maybe it's because I've known a few Jacks but I can't take the name Genocide Jack seriously. I know it's referencing Jack the Ripper but I can't help but find it like Genocide John or Genocide Bob.

• Locked thread