Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Wh-What the hell is this...!?

The grotesque horror of the room struck me hard and fast. What I saw was bad enough, but what I smelled... It was sour, pungent, impossibly rank...

: It smells awful, doesn't it?
: I-It's...
: It must be at least vaguely familiar to you. After all, you've been around your fair share of corpses.
: Are you saying...?

: It's the smell of death. Their flesh and fat and blood...

There was no surprise in his voice, no shock. But he was right. I had experienced this smell more than once before... It was the smell of death and despair.

: But the smell here is strong, condensed. It's the smell of a battlefield.
: Monokuma must have--

: What, my fault AGAIN!?
: Stop trying to blame everything on me!
: I-If you hadn't done what you did, this never would have happened!
: No, no, no. It's quite the opposite!
: The opposite...?

: Yup! Let me give you an itty bitty eegie squeegie little hint. As far as this room goes, I don't know a thing! I just left it exactly how I found it.
: What...?
: How's that for a hint!? Better than those stupid "hints" you get from NPCs in those mean old RPGs!
: But it's pretty scary, huh? Blood all over the walls and junk... Of course, even in the outside world, people die bloody, gruesome deaths every day!
: So it's not really a big deal! Just keep your chin up and keep on livin', soldier! *leaves*

What's he talking about...? He just left it the way he found it? What's the meaning of all this...?

: This...was not what I expected to find in here. Well, uh, let's see if Byakuya has any other thoughts.

: Um, Byakuya? About what Monokuma just told us...
: ...

It's like I'm not even here. He must be lost in thought. Is he really thinking that hard? Or is he flat-out ignoring me...?

There's blood all over the place. I want to shut my eyes forever against such a ghastly sight...

: It appears all the bloodstains are dry. And their color has changed, as well. I think it's safe to assume these stains are considerably old.
: This is all...really blood?
: Of course. I wouldn't find it interesting otherwise.
: And it *is* interesting, I assure you. What on Earth happened in this classroom...?

He seems like he's...enjoying himself. No way can I "keep up" with someone like that...

There are white chalk outlines drawn all over the floor. How many bodies were there...? I've seen this kind of thing on detective shows and stuff like that. You always see it at the scene of a murder...

I wish I could say I don't believe it...

: Thankfully, that's all there is to see in here and we can leave.

: I guess I've seen what there is to see up here for now.

But once again...nothing I found seems to make any real sense.

: I need to head back to the dining hall and find out what the others turned up.

One after another, everyone made their way to the dining hall. And before too long...

: It would appear everyone has returned.
: But still...it's just the six of us. That's barely enough for a decent volleyball team...
: Hey! Don't be a sourpuss! We gotta think positive! Besides, even if one more person died, we can still field a basketball team!
: That's like...reverse positive thinking...
: Anyway, there's no time to be depressed. For the sake of everyone we've lost, we have to do our best.
: Can we stop all this group hug nonsense? We need to find out what everyone discovered.

: We have to talk to everyone, so let's begin with Hina.

: I checked all the windows on the 5th floor, front to back. That used to kinda be Sakura's job, but...
: Anyway, no dice. There were metal plates on all the windows, just like everywhere else.
: Which means no chance of escape on the 5th floor, either...
: But when I was looking around, I realized something about [the layout of the school]...

> the layout of the school

: What exactly did you notice about the layout of the school?

: You took a good look around the 5th floor yourself, didn't you Makoto?
: Huh? Why do you ask?
: Because if you did, you must have noticed. The 5th floor is lacking something every other floor has.

Something on all the other floors...but not on the 5th floor...?

: Are you talking about...stairs? There aren't any stairs leading up from the 5th floor. That's what you're talking about, right?

: Does that mean...the 5th floor is the end!?
: We're finally starting to get a clear picture of this school.
: All that's left now is to solve the underlying mystery.
: But that's the hardest part...
: Even if it's hard, we still gotta do it!
: Yeah, Hina's right! Everything will be okay. As long as we work together, I'm sure we'll make it out of this...!

No, not "I'm sure"... We absolutely WILL make it out, no matter what it takes!

: Well...there's a big garden up on the 5th floor. And I found more than one thing to be worried about... A [stupidly large plant], a [chicken coop], and--I know what you're gonna say, but...a [toolshed]!

> stupidly large plant

: Monokuma said that was called a...Monokuma Flower. Even touching it seems dangerous, so we have to be careful.
: It's totally a man-eating plant! I'm pretty sure it's different from the one that lives in the pipe, though. Anyway, that thing must benefit from the sprinkler system as much as anything else in there...
: Oh yeah. Apparently the sprinklers come on every morning at 7:30 on the dot.

: Yeah, remember that! You don't wanna get drenched and catch a cold!
: Well you don't have to worry. They say idiots never catch colds, ya know.
: Of course not! Cuz idiots never get wet!
: Umm...I think you're thinking of ducks.
: I'm starting to worry about you, Hiro. Can you tell me what ten plus ten is?

: Hey, come on! You don't ALWAYS have to call me dumb! I may have been held back three times, but that doesn't make me stupid! But if it'll make you happy, I'll answer your dumb question...!
: So! Um...what was the question again?
: Don't worry. You just answered it...

-----

> chicken coop

: There were a bunch of chickens in the chicken coop, right?
: That's right! Five! Five chickens!

: I love chickens! Let's raise 'em up big and fat. Then we can make fried chicken! Oh, or barbeque! Decisions, decisions...
: Oh! Oh! Or how about raw! Cuz there's nothing fresher than raw, right!?
: I'm pretty sure that'd kill you...

-----

> toolshed

: You noticed it too, huh? That pickaxe...
: Huh? What about the pickaxe?

: Well, there was a pickaxe in the toolshed. And the words Crazy Diamond had been carved into the handle. Haven't we seen that phrase somewhere before...?

: Crazy Diamond? Hmm... Yeah, that does sound kinda familiar, I think...
: I don't just think, I know. We've definitely seen that phrase before.
: Huh? Where!?
: Ah, that's it! I remember...

: It was on Mondo's uniform! On the back of his jacket... His jacket said the same thing, right? Crazy Diamond!

: You're absolutely right...
: But why would that be on the pickaxe in the garden?
: Mondo must've snuck in there and done it, right?
: But we didn't have access to the garden until today.

: Then...maybe Mondo brought it with him when he first came here, and Monokuma confiscated it?
: Whatever the reason, that's what stuck out to me in the toolshed--the pickaxe connected to Mondo.
: Well, what stuck out to *me* wasn't the pickaxe at all!
: Huh? Then...what did?

: What *I* noticed was the lawnmower! I'm thinking maybe we can use it to call for help...
: How are you gonna call for help with a lawnmower!?
: I dunno! Maybe I can use it to make crop circles or something! Yeah, that's it! I'm gonna make crop circles!
: And we can use those to call for help!

: What the heck's happened to you...? You weren't like this in the beginning, you know.
: Well, back then my personality hadn't quite solidified yet...!
: I didn't think it was possible, but I'm more disappointed in you now than I've ever been...

: My concern is with the bio lab. That was the only place on the 5th floor that we couldn't access.
: The bio lab, huh? I wonder what's in there...
: If this were like, a cliche horror game, it'd be some kind of creature. The final boss, or Tyrant, or--!
: We're...not in a horror game, though...

: Either way, we don't need to worry about it at the moment. Don't bother thinking about something that can't be understood no matter how much you think about it.
: Your tiny brains can only do so much, so focus on utilizing them efficiently.
: I don't really like *how* you said it, but *what* you said is probably right.
: No, how I said it is right, too.

: We'll pick up with the rest of the discoveries next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A friend chicken sounds nice, but not particularly tasty. :3:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Doesn't our hero usually find a photo after a new area opens up? Or does the pickaxe count?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Doesn't our hero usually find a photo after a new area opens up? Or does the pickaxe count?

We've only found two photos, although there have been other clues that our perception of reality might not be accurate like the pickaxe.
Given the way the game started and all the hints about "the accident" I'm really hoping the explanation isn't that it's all just a dream though.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: We're continuing to talk with the others about what they discovered on the 5th floor.

: By the way, did any of you find it? The other strange room on the 5th floor. Well, no..."strange" is a massive understatement.

: The smell of flesh and fat and blood... The white outlines of countless corpses... It was more dreadful than anything I've encountered here so far...

: Wh-What the hell are you talking about!?
: The smell itself was horrific. Far beyond any normal murder scene. Every body's smell, concentrated...
: God, I'm glad I didn't see it... I feel like I'm gonna barf just hearing you describe it...
: But I mean...what the hell happened in that room?

: I can only think of one thing... A large group of people died right there in that room.
: A bunch of people were...killed in there?
: Stop, seriously... I'm gonna throw up...

: Perhaps that's what was meant by the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history.
: ...Huh?
: You're thinking the same thing, then. My theory is the mass murder that took place in that room is the incident said to have happened one year ago.

: The awful scene in that room... That was "The Tragedy" that happened a year ago?

: Precisely. The Tragedy is another name for the genocide of the student body of Hope's Peak Academy. If that's true...
: ...that would explain why Hope's Peak was forced to close its doors.
: I mean, I guess that all makes sense, but...it's all just...so awful.
: Not just awful... Super awfully awful!

They're right--it's beyond awful. It's terrible, tragic...hopeless. But still... How is it not one of us ever heard about something like that happening? Does that mean they really did cover it up...?

: And lastly, we can talk to currently-mute Toko.

: Hey, Byakuya...it seems like Toko wants to say something.
: So? Why are you telling me?
: Well, cuz you told her to zip it or whatever...
: Ah. I'd forgotten about that.
: Jesus, man! I know you like torturing her, but come on!

: Well, Toko. If you want to envelop us all in your putrid breath, I won't stop you.
: Y-You honor me, Master...
: And d-don't worry... I took care of the o-odor problem...
: Hahaha, seriously!? You're just gonna take it?
: Sh-Shut up! And don't interrupt when M-Mater and me are talking!

: ...Okay, so, what did you want to tell us?
: Well, I was in a c-classroom on the 5th floor, and s-somehing caught my attention...

: It was...th-this.
: A knife!?
: Whoa, that thing is huge! It's like, Rambo size!
: It's a survival knife of some type...
: But...what was it doing in a classroom?
: How would I kn-know...?

: What're you gonna use that knife for...? What're you planning to do to us!?
: I'm not g-gonna do anything! I j-just picked it up! I didn't wanna leave a kn-knife just laying around...
: I'd rather have it laying around than in the hands of a serial killer!

: D-Don't compare me to...her! I'm n-nothing like her!
: Listen, more important... Now that we have the knife, what are we gonna do with it?
: We can't let Toko keep it, that's for sure. We dunno what she might do...
: I don't w-want it anyway! It's too dangerous...
: Hmm...so what to do...?

: Why don't you hang on to it, Makoto?
: Huh? Me!?
: Oh yeah, I totally trust Makoto to take care of it!
: Then that's that!
: H-Hold on! Don't I get a say!?
: It just shows how much they trust you. You should do as they ask.

Are you sure it's trust? I feel like they're just using me...

: Okay, s-so here you go, Makoto...

They're acting like I already said yes...

: F-Fine...

I guess there's nothing I can do. I'll just...keep it in my desk drawer for now.

: Anyway, th-that's all I wanted to say...

: Hey, Toko.
: Ah! D-Do I still have bad b-breath!?
: Sorry sorry sorry! I'm sorry it stinks! I'm sorry it stinks! I'm sorry--!
: You made a valuable discovery. Good job.

: Huh...? Huh...? Huh...? Did Master just...p-praise me?
: Hey, good for you!
: Ng...! NgaaAAaAhh! I-I'm dreaming... I must b-be dreaming!
: Ahh...that I would ever e-experience such a dream...

: Aha... Ahahahahaha! I feel...s-strange...! Ahaha...so strange...! R-Really strange! Oh no...! Aha...hyah...hyeehahaehea!
: Whenever I look at Toko these days, it makes me feel...sad.
: And that finishes our talks with the others.

: Well, I think that's all the new information we have for now.
: So? Now what do we do?
: Well... Starting today, you're all under my command. But before we proceed, I need to figure something out.
: Jeez, how cocky can you be!? You're gonna bust through the ceiling if your head gets any bigger!
: So...what is it you wanna figure out?

: Kyoko's identity...

: Kyoko's identity? But Kyoko is...Kyoko...right?
: Yes, but who *is* she? The rest of us have a clear, definable reason for having been selected to attend Hope's Peak Academy. Hina's the Ultimate Swimming Pro, Hiro's the Ultimate Clairvoyant... Even Makoto is the Ultimate Lucky Student.

More unlucky than lucky these days, but...

: So what about Kyoko? Can anyone tell me what *she* is?

: Now that you mention it...she's never told us.
: Well, Kyoko doesn't really like talking about herself anyway, right?
: It's not a matter of what she likes or doesn't like. This is a matter of trust. Can you trust someone who's unwilling to reveal their true identity?
: We need to avoid raising any more unnecessary suspicion. So Kyoko, it's time you told us...

: ...I can't.
: What!? Wh-Why won't you tell us!?
: I didn't say I "won't." I said I can't.
: Wh-What do you mean...?

: Because...I don't remember.
: I have no memory of what I am.
: You have no memory...? You mean...
: Amnesia...?

: If I thought you had a sense of humor, I'd say you were joking. But if this is a joke, I'm not laughing.
: Y-You can't be serious right now, c-can you?
: I knew you wouldn't believe me. That's why I didn't say anything.

: But it doesn't matter. Either way, the truth will make itself clear before we're done. So you have no intention of telling us? Then I can no longer stand by and do nothing...
: So you have no intention of telling us? Then I can no longer stand by and do nothing...
: What are you going to do? Torture me?
: Nothing so barbaric as that.
: I will simply...limit your options. I can't allow you to engage in any further suspicious activity.
: Limit my options...?
: Give me the key to your room.
: But...if she gives you her room key...!

: She can't go to sleep in her room! She'll be breaking a school regulation!
: And if she doesn't want that, she'll talk. It's easy, all she has to do is tell us about herself.
: Just hold on...! A threat like that...

: ...Fine. I understand.
: Good, you're finally in the mood for conversation.

Without saying a word, Kyoko walked right up to Byakuya, and...

...held out her room key to him.

: You drat fool... Why do you refuse to talk...!?
: Whether I want to or not, I can't. All I can do is keep telling you that.
: M-Maybe she really did lose her memory...
: If you really think about it, it doesn't sound totally impossible. This is the worst school ever, where only the worst stuff happens, right? Amnesia would fit right in.

: The worst school, where only the worst things happen? Do you really mean that?
: Huh...?
: Can you really be sure that life here has been filled with only the worst things?
: Wh-What do you mean...?
: ...Perhaps I've said too much.

Kyoko then turned her back on us, and without a word began to walk away.

: Where do you think you're going?
: Don't worry. I'm not going to do anything to harm any of you. *leaves*

Those were her last words as she left. Kyoko's last words... The dining hall was silent. The only sound was the door opening and closing as Kyoko left the room.

: Wh-What's her deal...?
: I think you went too far, taking her room key like that...
: F-For her, that wasn't far e-enough...!
: Or m-maybe she gets off on the attention. I can't believe her, e-enjoying getting yelled at...
: You're getting noisy again, Toko.

: Sorry, I can still hear you. The sound of you breathing, of your heart beating...it grates on me.
: Are you telling her to die...? I mean, I know how you feel, but...!

But what's Kyoko gonna do now...? Plus, this situation... It's just like before... It's no different from when everyone started accusing Sakura! And I...I'm no different, either. I still can't stop anyone...

Music cuts out.

: KYAAAAAAAHH!
: Uwah!
: Wh-What the hell!? Why're you yelling all of a sudden!?
: Cuz...! Cuz! Look!

: I-It's you... How long have you been standing there!?
: I'm very...very...

: AAAAANNNGGGRRRYYYYYY!!!
: Angry at what...?
: At the thief! Yes, that's right. I'm very sad to have to tell you, there's a thief in your midst!
: What!?

: Myyy PRECIOUUSSS! They stole it!
: ...Your precious?
: Your teacher had such faith in you... And this is how you repay me? With betrayal?
: Reality is filled with so much hardship, isn't it? No wonder people run away into their fantasies...
: But...what the heck is your "precious"?
: Shut up! I hope all of you get stuck in a hiring freeze and die penniless on the street! *leaves*

: And he's gone... What the heck was that all about?
: He said something about his "precious" getting stolen. Does anyone have any idea what that might mean?
: It likely has something to do with Kyoko.
: Who else other than her would be willing and able to steal something from Monokuma?

Did Kyoko really steal something from Monokuma? But if that's true, what was it? And why would she do that?

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Mm, ahem, this is a school announcement. It is now 10 p.m. As such, it is officially nighttime. Soon the doors to the dining hall will be locked, and entry at that point is strictly prohibited. Okay then...sweet dreams, everyone! Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...

: Uh-oh. We need to get out of here...
: We can talk about this more tomorrow. And about Kyoko...
: However, after what just happened with Monokuma, and Kyoko, I feel like there's...something in the air. I would suggest you take extra precautions tonight. Stay in your rooms, don't go wandering around...
: Not like we need you to tell us that...
: Well then, let's disperse. I'll see you all tomorrow.

Following his lead, each of us went back to our rooms.

: Ah, that's right. I need to put away the knife that I got from Toko...

: I think the safest place for it will be in my desk drawer.

But anyway...is Kyoko really gonna be okay? She can't get into her room. What's she gonna do...? Isn't there something I can do...? Something I can...

Music fades out.

... ... ...

*Ding dong*

: ...Nng?

As I opened my eyes, I realized I'd fallen asleep without realizing it. But more important...

: Did I hear...the doorbell...?

: K-Kyoko...?
: I'll be waiting for you in the dressing room... See you there... *leaves*

: H-Hey, wait! Kyoko!

Without acknowledging me, Kyoko disappeared into the depths of the darkened hallway. I know we're not supposed to go out during nighttime but...

: I can't just not go...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 19, 2016

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Sadly, given the amount of real life tragedies which fill the news on a daily basis, there's no way that anything which happened in that room would be more than one more "And in other news..." blip, never mind get the title of "worst most tragic thing ever in human history". It's probably not even in the top 10 worst things the Japanese have ever done in history. (Please no derailing on that subject, I was just saying, not intending to open some cans of worms.)

Also you've got Togami's "So you have no intention of telling us? Then I can no longer stand by and do nothing..." line tagged onto the end of Kyoko's above line.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Sadly, given the amount of real life tragedies which fill the news on a daily basis, there's no way that anything which happened in that room would be more than one more "And in other news..." blip, never mind get the title of "worst most tragic thing ever in human history". It's probably not even in the top 10 worst things the Japanese have ever done in history. (Please no derailing on that subject, I was just saying, not intending to open some cans of worms.)
It's probably to signify that some of the best and brightest minds of the world, who could have contibuted to humanity in countless ways, got offed in a way that would suit a Friday the 13th movie.

Either that or teens and hyperbole are very good friends, take your pick :shrug:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fun fact; in the cancelled SHSL Translation patch, I made a point of always repeating "Worst, Most Despair-inducing Incident in the History of Mankind" verbatim, every time it was mentioned in the text. NISA chickened out by abbreviating it so often.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Were you trying to make sure it was always a ridiculous sounding event in every instance?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

FPzero posted:

Were you trying to make sure it was always a ridiculous sounding event in every instance?

We absolutely were. I understand that most of the the vocabulary used in-universe by Hope's Peak Academy is like this; goofy and hyperbolic but not so much so that you can't use it in a dramatic scene every now and then. It's just like how they're really fond of the chou/super prefix and use it way too much to the point where it starts sounding silly; you get this phrase "Worst, most Despair-inducing Event in the History of Mankind" and you hear that and you're like "whoa, holy poo poo". Then you hear it several more times and it just starts sounding ridiculous. But then later we'll hear it again, delivered dramatically, and it will still work. It's quite a versatile tone!

This is something I don't think any translation other than Oren's really got right across the whole game. Nisa's just sounds kinda dull after a while (see also: ultimate) and the Zetsubou one went a bit far in the other direction (somewhere on Tindeck is a voice clip of FighterKnuckles (our other editor on the project) reading out the line (from chapter 1's trial) "He could do it... because he was a super duper high-school fireballer!!!!").

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Sorry for asking you to meet with me so late.
: It's okay. I'm used to it.
: ...Indeed.

: Well then, let me get straight to the point.
: It's something you can't talk about in front of the surveillance cameras, right? So does that mean...? Does this have something to do with whatever it is you stole from Monokuma?
: Monokuma told us earlier that someone had stolen something from him. Was it you...?
: ...That's right.
: So I was right... But what did you steal?

: I stole this...
: A...key?

But looking at it, I could tell it wasn't just any key. It was shaped like Monokuma. It was probably the only key of its kind on Earth.

: Where did you get this...?

: From the headmaster's room.
: What!? You snuck into the headmaster's room!? But...wasn't it locked?
: The lock was broken.
: It was Sakura. She did it for us...
: She did...?

: Remember what she said in her note? "I'm not going to just lay down and die. I *will* fight you..."
: So...Sakura broke into the headmaster's room for us?
: That's right. So that we could uncover whatever secrets might lay hidden within...
: She did that...for us...

She violated the school regulations to help us. She'd already decided to die, so her last act was to defy the rules of this place...

: I noticed the room was open after the class trial was over yesterday. But if I'd just strolled into the room, Monokuma would have noticed right away. Which is why...
: ...I used you as a decoy.
: So you asked me to meet you at the data center in order to...
: Correct. I wanted you to draw Monokuma's attention. I took that opportunity to sneak into the headmaster's room. And as a result, I found this key.
: Wow... Then...what you told me about yesterday--did that come from the headmaster's room, too?

: Mukuro Ikusaba... The sixteenth student, lying hidden somewhere in this school... The one they call the Ultimate Despair... Watch out for her.

: Did you find out about this Mukuro Ikusaba while you were in there?
: I did find a file in the headmaster's room that talked about her, yes. I don't know all the details yet, but...one thing I do know, is that Mukuro Ikusaba is dangerous.
: D-Dangerous...?
: She may very well be the mastermind.
: M-Mastermind!? But didn't Alter Ego say that the headmaster was probably the mastermind?
: No...the headmaster isn't the mastermind, I'm sure of that.
: I don't have proof yet, but I have no doubt I'm right.

To make such a strong statement without proof... That's not like Kyoko at all. But...if it isn't the headmaster...does that mean Mukuro Ikusaba really could be the mastermind?

: Anyway, this key is the one big opportunity we've been waiting to get our hands on. Now that we've grasped it, we can't let it go, can we?
: Sure, but I mean...what's this key even unlock?
: I don't know yet. Which is why...

: ...I need you to draw Monokuma's attention again, while I go and find out.
: Wait, so you're planning on sneaking back in again? You can't! That's way too dangerous! And you want me to draw his attention, but we don't actually know there's just one mastermind, right? If there's more than one person watching us...
: But they didn't catch on last night, right?
: Maybe we just got lucky...
: Or maybe the mastermind can't monitor us and control Monokuma at the same time.
: Like I said, we didn't get caught last night. But as you said, maybe it was pure luck.
: Which is why we're going to run the experiment one more time. And if we're successful again...
: Then what may have just been a lucky guess will be proven true.

As Kyoko talked, she was calm and collected as ever. I couldn't help but just stand there and listen.

: If it's true that the mastermind can't watch us and control Monokuma at the same time, then there would have to be a period of time where the mastermind is vulnerable. What we need to do is find out for sure it if that's actually true, and if we can exploit it.
: Maybe, but... No matter what the reward, the risk is just too high. When I think what might happen if we fail...
: I don't think you need to worry all that much. After all...

With minimal restrictions, you are free to explore Hope's Peak Academy at your discretion.

: No restrictions have been placed on our efforts to solve the mystery, am I wrong? Even when I took the key, I didn't break any rules as far as I can tell.
: But if the mastermind decides to do something, all the rules in the world won't matter. He could just kill us all without a second thought!
: I see... In that case, even if the plan fails, we'll still be able to prove or disprove that hypothesis.
: In a moment of crisis, will the mastermind break their own rules, or adhere to them no matter what?
: In other words, we gain something whether we succeed or not. Now there's no reason not to do it, right?
: B-But--!

Music cuts out.

: If you spend all your time trying to avoid danger, you'll never move forward. We know the danger. But if that risk means solving the mystery, we have no choice.
: Am I wrong?

At that moment, I finally realized...I had never seen the slightest hint of dear or despair in Kyoko's eyes. Her gaze was firmly fixed on the mystery ahead, the enemy standing before us. And with that in view...she just smiled.

: I can't change how I feel, and wouldn't if I could.

Then Kyoko took something from her coat pocket and held it out to me.

: Huh? What's this?
: Consider it a symbol of my determination. Don't open it yet. Only open it...if something ever happens to me.
: I-If something happens!?

: I'm not planning on dying. But there's always a chance of it, and a death without meaning is...unappealing.
: Please, I want you to hold on to it for me.
: Fine. I'll hold on to it, just because you asked me to. But I'm gonna give it back at some point, you can be sure of that!
: Yes...of course.
: Oh, and one more thing. You can't tell anyone else about what I've discovered.
: Sure, because then there's a chance the mastermind might find out, right?
: Well...there's that, too.
: Huh...? You mean...there's something else?
: It's nothing. Forget I said anything.

I-I can't just forget that easily...

: Okay then, shall we begin?
: I'm counting on you, Makoto.
: I just have to get Monokuma's attention, right? Well, I'll give it my best shot...
: I'm going on ahead. The rest is up to you... *leaves*

Her curt goodbye was no different from any other time. And like every other time, she moved at a brisk pace as she left. What *wasn't* like every other time was the sudden knot I felt in my stomach as I watched her walk away.

: No...everything's gonna be fine, I know it...! Because it's Kyoko...

Talking to myself helped shake off some of my anxiety...and then I got to work.

Music fades out.

Okay...! Let's do this!

: Hey, Monokuma! You can see me, right!? Get out here! I've got a bone to pick with you!

Then, a few moments later...

: Well, well, this is a surprise! You being the one to call me out...
: Hey, by the way!
: H-Huh?

: What were you and Kyoko up to? Going to the bathhouse? Just the two of you? In the middle of the night? Definitely a hot and steamy moment, wouldn't you say!? So warm and wet, so wet and warm... I bet you guys--[REMOVED TO CONFORM WITH LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL CENSORSHIP LAWS]--all over her, didn't you!?
: Not gonna talk, huh? Sure, I get it... Well, whatever. Unlike you, I have absolutely no interest in late-night bath scenes.
: Because I like to maintain a healthy life of observation, far away from X-rated X-ploits!
: Oh, so is that why there's no surveillance cameras in the bathhouse?
: Bull's-eye!
: Or is it maybe cuz the lens gets all fogged up, and you can't see anything anyway?
: Sounds like *that's* the bull's-eye to me...

: Anyway! You went to all that trouble to get me out here, now whaddya want!?
: Oh, well...umm... There's just something I wanted to confirm with you.
: Whether I'm a mademoiselle or a dudefella?
: But in the bear kingdom, there IS no male or female!
: Um...actually, there is...
: Seriously!?

: Th-Then...what am I? My entire existence...
: That's enough! I'll get stuck if I think about it too much. So what did you really wanna ask me?
: Oh, well...you told us earlier that your precious had been stolen. What's this "precious" of yours?

: Listen...I'm sure this is a silly question, no way it's possible and all, but...is that seriously what you dragged me out here to ask me?
: You gotta be kiddin' me! You gotta be 100-megaton freakin' KIDDING me! You're not gonna ask something useful, like how to get the best honey, or ursine breeding tips?
: This is just crazy... Are all pubescent teen boys as nutty as you!?

: God, you're so annoying! Fine, I'll tell you! It was a key and ******! That's it!
: What was that second thing...?
: It's a blank, stupid! A secret! Fill it in yourself! Making me trudge all the way out here for that... I'd like to see what's going on in that brain of yours!
: And the next time you summon me for something so stupid, I'll open up your skull and find out! *leaves*
: I think this is probably one of my favorite Monokuma conversations in the whole game.

Dropping more than a few swear words, Monokuma stormed off.

: Whew...

I hope I kept him distracted long enough... Now all I can do is wait and hope Kyoko makes it out okay. No, she'll be fine. It's Kyoko, after all.

I went back to my room and laid down, doing my best to settle my nerves and get back to sleep.

: Monokuma Theater, brought to you by Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.

:siren: Click here for a video? :siren:

: Hmm? This super stylish, super fashionable game was canceled during development? But it'll start back up again if Danganronpa sells well? Then you guys have to recommend it to your friends too!

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
"A KEY AND BLANK!?"

What like a chewtoy or something?

That is indeed probably the best Monokuma conversation in the game :allears:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I don't know about you guys, but I would play the poo poo out of Sakura's Revenge if it existed. Hell, we need more DR spin-offs in general. Preferably ones that include the entirety of the cast, living or dead. Maybe even a fighting game.

DialTheDude
Jan 12, 2014

PORK RICE BOWLS

Lipstick Apathy

FPzero posted:

: Hmm? This super stylish, super fashionable game was canceled during development? But it'll start back up again if Danganronpa sells well? Then you guys have to recommend it to your friends too!

I bought this game twice. Once on Vita and then on PC.

What more do you want from me to get Sakura's own game in flux, DR?!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I will be very disappointed if the ****** doesn't turn out to be a bullet minus the bullet or a block of wax for creating a duplicate key mold.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 21, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

serefin99 posted:

I don't know about you guys, but I would play the poo poo out of Sakura's Revenge if it existed. Hell, we need more DR spin-offs in general. Preferably ones that include the entirety of the cast, living or dead. Maybe even a fighting game.

Eeeeeh... lot of the spin offs we got are not good.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

School Mode Free Time Roundup #7: Kiyotaka Ishimaru

: Today, we're going to go through all of Taka's Free Time Events. He has 4 parts in total. It's going to be a bit long of an update just because I want to fit all four parts into a single update instead of splitting them up.

> Spend time together

: Sounds good! If it were anyone else, no way. But I don't mind sharing some of my valuable time with you!

Taka was nice enough to give me some of his valuable time... Taka and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Mac's Gloves: A pair of boxing gloves infused with a staggering amount of passion and effort. Wearing them makes you want to throw a thousand cross-counters.

: Wow, very impressive! I should thank you for this! So...thanks!

Seeing Taka so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: Hey, Makoto! As long as we're talking, let's REALLY talk, whaddya say!?
: Huh? Oh, sure, that's fine...
: Excellent!
: Then let's get down to brass tacks and find out where we stand on all the big issues! So, what should we discuss? Politics? The economy? International affairs!?
: Wait, hold on. Instead of a big, serious discussion...can't we just have a normal conversation? That's the best way to learn about people, I think.
: What do you mean by a "normal conversation"?
: Umm... Well, for example... What do you like to do in your spare time?

: Study, of course! I'm a student, aren't I? A student must be a studying professional! And of course my duties as the chairperson of the morals committee keep me quite busy, as well!
: It's my duty to foster an environment in which we can all focus on our studies!
: Okay, but...what else? Like when you're at home, or you just have some time to kill?
: If I have time to kill, I study!
: I...see...

: Hahaha! This is fun! Okay, my turn. Makoto! What do you like to do in your spare time!
: Um, you know, just normal stuff. Watch TV, play video games...
: Huh? And this helps you study...how?
: N-No, it's not about studying. It's just for fun, ya know?
: But doing things "just for fun" serves no purpose! There must be more to it... You wouldn't spend your valuable time doing something useless, would you!?

He can insist all he wants, but in the end... But...maybe there *is* a good reason. Like getting into something, and talking to people about it... So maybe...

> Relating to your friends

: You know how it's useful? It helps give you something to talk about with other people!

: Something to talk about...?
: Like when you see something awesome on TV, or some awesome game, and you want to share it with someone. You find other people who feel the same way, and that's how you make friends. See?
: Wh...? Wh-Wh-Wh-Wh-Wh--!?
: I once was blind, but now I see!
: Wh-What the heck!?

: That kind of thing has plagued me for years... I've tried making friends, but whenever I would make conversation, it would die after a few minutes... And now...I've finally found the answer...
: I need to study more games! More TV shows!
: N-No, you don't need to "study" them...

: Ahh, I'm so ashamed of myself! If there was a hole somewhere around here, I'd totally go hide in it! I let it get to me, I wasted all that time... I never saw the blind spot in my studies! I'm a complete embarrassment! I'm not qualified to even be on the morals committee, let alone lead it!
: I-I don't think it's really that big of a deal...
: Thank you, Professor Makoto!
: Professor!?

: You've taught me a most valuable lesson! You've earned my respect, and the title of professor!
: Th-That's gonna make things super awkward...!
: Hahaha! There's no need to be modest, Professor! I can't wait for your next lesson! And until then, I will strive to learn as much as I can on my own!
: Well then, Professor--by your leave! *leaves*

Without waiting for a reply, Taka ran off.

: Professor...

Although, thinking about it...I didn't totally hate it. Professor Makoto...

: This event unlocks the skill Attentive Influence. It's like the Envious Influence skill we got from Byakuya, but it gives less extra HP at the cost of less SP and earlier access should you choose to do Taka's events at the start of the game.
: The second event starts in the dojo but immediately changes location to the dining hall.

: Well, I suppose we should take a break once in a while. Let's partake of some of my delicious tea!

We went to the dining hall, and Taka made us some of his delicious tea... Taka and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Red Scarf: A scarf belonging to a certain masked hero. It's tattered and worn due to the countless battles it's been through.

: Are you sure I can have such a splendid gift!?
: Thank you so very much, Makoto!

Seeing Taka so please with something I gave him makes me happy!

: I've been wanting to tell you something for a while now, Makoto...
: And now that it's just the two of us, this is the perfect time to confess...!
: H-Huh...?
: Listen, Makoto... Your hoodie is awesome!
: Th-Thanks...?
: You have really amazing fashion sense. Now, wearing a hoodie under your school uniform...

: Your public morals are ruined! Just absolutely ruined!
: S-Sorry! Did I do something wrong...? The dress code was pretty flexible at my old school...
: Well that's not the case here at Hope's Peak Academy! As long as I live, I will protect our morals! Take off that incredibly stylish hoodie this instant!
: R-Right now!?
: Of course!

Crap, Taka seems to be taking this really seriously... Well, I'd better come up with a good excuse or I might actually have to give him my hoodie...

> But it's a raincoat

: But this hoodie doubles as a raincoat! I don't wanna get caught by surprise in a thunderstorm!
: You can't fool me!
: That hoodie would only protect your head! It's hardly a raincoat if it doesn't cover the rest of your body! My suggestion is to get an umbrella!
: G-Good advice...
: So much for the sensible answer.

> But it's a makeshift hardhat

: But this is the next best thing to a hardhat!

: A hardhat...?
: Yeah! I mean, this school's really dangerous, ya know? There's no telling what might happen! So, like...just in case...ya know?
: Hrmm... You may have a point there...
: I do! I totally do!
: Well, if it's for your own safety, I suppose I can give you special permission, just this once...

: But the instant this school goes back to normal, you WILL hand over that amazingly cool hoodie!
: Y-Yeah, you got it...
: Students these days are utterly ignorant of proper dress code. It's quite a pain! And frankly, I don't understand youth fashion these days anyway!

: So this is a perfect opportunity for me to teach you all about how you should be dressing!

Getting fashion advice from Taka is--well, let's just say unexpected...

: I wear this uniform 365 days a year, rain or shine, flood or drought, wind and hail and hurricane!
: Even on your days off? Even on holidays!?
: School itself may observe holidays, but there's no such thing as vacation for a student! So as long as I live the life of a student, I will always wear my uniform!
: I see...

: Also, I have ten sets of my uniform, so I always have a clean one. There's nothing strange about that.

Um, no...I'd say wearing your uniform when you're not at school is *totally* strange... I'd better keep that to myself, though...

: Hahaha! Trust me, wearing the uniform every day helps keep you motivated. You should give it a shot!

Taka is exactly the kind of guy I thought he was...

: This event gives us SP+1.
: The third event takes place at the pool.

: You know, sometimes what students need is a meeting of the soul. Would you like to study with me?

I took some time to study with Taka... Taka and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Adorable Reactions Collection: A DVD that contains footage of people reacting to various pieces of art.

: Are you sure I can have such a splendid gift!?
: Thank you so very much, Makoto!

Seeing Taka so please with something I gave him makes me happy!

: I'm weak, Makoto... So very weak...
: What happened...?
: Haven't you realized? This school is missing something of utmost importance! Textbooks! Classes!

Oh, um...I can't say I really miss that stuff.

: I'm just gonna come right out and say it... I'm freaking out! As we speak, we're being left in the dust by other students our age!
: I'm totally freaking out! Makoto! What should I do!? If I keep involuntarily skipping class like this, I'm gonna reach dunce status in no time!
: I-It's really not that big a deal. Just calm down... You were always at the top of your class at the private school you used to go to, right? I mean, you're basically genius level. So even if you miss a few classes, it's not the same as just some ordinary kid ditching...

: ...Genius...? Don't say that...
: I'm no genius. I'm a normal person, just like anyone else. I'm from a middle-class family, you know? Actually, they're not even middle-class...
: That's why I have to push so hard! I have to knock down that wall! It's not geniuses that change the world. It's ordinary people who make every effort they can. And to prove that, I have to keep on making effort after effort after effort!

: So don't call me a genius! Don't lump me in with those lazy clods who don't put in any effort!
: S-Sorry... That's not what I was trying to do.
: ...No, *I'm* sorry. I got a little carried away...

: But I only said all that because you and me are the same. You and me, we're just normal people. We know what it means to have to make an effort.
: That's why I want you to know exactly how I feel...
: I understand...
: And that's why I'm so passionate about my work on the morals committee. I want to create an environment where everyone has the opportunity to give it everything they've got.
: That's why I put all my blood, sweat, and tears into creating that kind of environment. I want everyone else to understand that, too. In the end, you can't succeed if you don't try. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

: Effort is everything! That's the only way to fix anything in this world! And I have to prove that to all the ordinary people out there so they'll keep on trying! I have to become the ordinary man who can surpass any genius!
: Those are the feelings I carried with me when I entered Hope's Peak Academy...
: But now that I'm trapped in here, I've been robbed of the opportunity to make that effort... So now what am I supposed to do...?
: Taka...
: Sorry, Makoto. I didn't mean to make you listen to my pathetic complaining...
: No, it's not pathetic at all. I can totally understand why you'd be upset. You obviously feel really strongly about this. I really hope you don't give up hope and start to lose track of what you want to do. If you really believe that effort is what maters, then you *can't* give up, right? Because if you can't make that effort, then what do you have left?

: ...! I think until you said that just now, I'd totally forgotten what I was here for. The foundation of effort is the will to never give up.
: You're right. I have to try, no matter the situation. Even without classes, without assignments... I can just look back at what I've learned already and reinforce those basic principles!
: Yeah, good idea!

: I'm glad we had this talk, Makoto. Wow, I feel so much better getting all that off my chest! As my way to say thanks, next time I buckle down for a study session, I'll make sure to invite you!
: Let's work together as fellow ordinary people to show those geniuses who's boss!

His face filled with the unwavering confidence I was used to seeing from him.

I feel like maybe I'm starting to understand him a little better... But I still think he might be a genius. Specifically, he's a genius when it comes to effort. Still, I did notice one thing... He seems to have a lot of hostility toward the idea of someone being a genius. Is there some reason he feels that way...?

: This event unlocks the skill Steel Patience. This skill reduces the amount of damage you take if you make a mistake. I assume instead of taking a full Heart of damage you take a half-Heart instead. Seems like a useful skill for a first time playthrough but it wouldn't have served me very well in the LP proper.
: The final free time event for Taka starts off in the Physics Lab.

: Sounds good! If it were anyone else, no way. But I don't mind sharing some of my valuable time with you!

Taka was nice enough to give me some of his valuable time... Taka and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Chin Drill: A fashion accessory that allows you to equip a drill on your chin. It is said to represent the idea of "spiral energy."

: Wow, very impressive! I should thank you for this! So...thanks!

Seeing Taka so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: Would you like to study with me, Makoto? Just the two of us? Come to my room! If there's anything you don't understand, I'm a very attentive teacher!
: Um...I don't think I need you to be all that attentive. But sure, you don't mind if I stop by?
: Of course not! Okay, let's do it!

With Taka leading the way, we headed to his room.

: Welcome, Makoto! You're the first guest I've invited to my room!
: Now that we're here, let me pose to you a question.
: A question...?
: Don't worry, no studying required! This is the most basic of basic questions. Very straightforward! Hahaha! This should be no challenge for you! Very easy, I assure you!

Stop saying how easy it's gonna be. That just puts even more pressure on me...

: Okay, here we go. What country first established "zero" as a numerical concept?

Hmm... Zero as a number, right? I'm pretty sure that came from an Asian country...

: So, I thought the concept of Zero was an Arabic discovery (though I may have been mixing it up with Algebra when I recorded this). Since I didn't see it in the list, I just decided to guess based on what Makoto was thinking, even though I was pretty sure my first guess would be wrong.

> Japan

: Is it...Japan?
: Wrong!
: S-Sorry!
: No, you don't have to apologize.

The way he reacted, I couldn't really help myself...

: But anyway, you're on the right track. It was an Asian nation, I can tell you that much.

: I had a lapse of judgment in my first guess and forgot that India is in fact part of Asia. It's just that when I typically think of Asia I end up thinking of China, Japan, Korea, and other countries like that. But no, India is totally an Asian nation, poor geography memory aside.

> India

: It was...India, wasn't it?
: Correct! Good job, Makoto! I had faith in you, and you came through for me!

: Seeing you get excited is getting *me* excited! Let's stack our effort one on top of the other and show those self-centered genius jerks what for!
: Hey, um...Taka?
: Yeah?
: Well, I've just noticed...you seem to really hate the idea of geniuses.

: Hmm...I guess I feel like they're just...my sworn enemy, you know?
: But you hit the nail on the head. You're pretty sharp!
: But..why?

: There's someone... Someone I respect, someone I hate. Someone I have to surpass... Because he was a genius.
: Toranosuke Ishimaru. Do you recognize that name? ...He was my grandfather. He was once...Prime Minister of Japan.
: He was your grandpa!?
: He went from Minister of Foreign Affairs to Chief Cabinet Secretary, and finally...Prime Minister. And all without any support network, and only a high school degree...! He was, simply, a genius. Everything he did, he did without any effort.
: He sounds like an amazing person. And he was your grandfather?

: He was a genius. He'd never known failure. His success was unimaginable to a normal person. But because of that...
: ...he allowed himself to be controlled by naive emotions, and got roped into a corruption scandal. He had no idea what the world of geniuses was really like. At least, that's how I see it.
: At that point, he fell just as fast as he had risen. And it wasn't just in politics. The business world had no use for him anymore, and he plummeted. The debt he left behind torments my family to this day. He dies a few years ago. By the end, he wasn't speaking to anyone. Despite his fame, his legacy...the only people who came to his funeral were family members.
: That's hard to imagine.
: Some consider genius fate's blessing. But I see it as a tragedy more than anything. The tragedy of finding success without understanding the important of effort. There's nothing worse than a genius who trips and falls. Just like my grandfather...
: And that's why you hate the word "genius"?

: My grandfather serves as an important lesson why you must never be deceived by words like "genius." Relying on my own effort, I will reach greater accomplishments than anything my grandfather ever did!
: So we have to work hard to build a society where those who put in the most effort are properly rewarded!
: I-I see...

I can agree with him, but Taka and I aren't the same. I can't reach for those kinds of big dreams...

: But you know, Makoto...I'm really happy!
: I figured this school would be full of geniuses. I mean, I thought everyone would be my enemy. I never imagined I'd meet someone here who I could share my story with...
: I'm so lucky to have met you here! This kind of thing only happens once in a lifetime! I hope we can stay close, and combine our efforts to shape things the way we want!
: Yeah, definitely...
: Okay, we have to keep on studying!

I feel like I've come to understand Taka a lot better... I think we've finally become friends in the truest sense of the word.

After lots of studying, I went back to my room.

: This final event gives us SP+1. Finishing Taka's FTE chain also unlocks a bronze Playstation Trophy titled The Devil Wears a High School Uniform.

Kiyotaka Ishimaru's Character Art

Kiyondo's Character Art

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 19, 2016

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: Even on your days odd? Even on holidays!?
Although I'm sure Ishimaru's days would be odd to most people, I'm guessing that's supposed to be "off".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Yes it was. Thanks. I've recently been going through the Chapter 1 updates and editing in the larger portraits I've been using for updates since midway through Chapter 2 and I keep catching little typos like that. I blame typing up most of these late at night.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Taka's FTEs are the reason why he is my favorite character. He has a reason why he is such a hardass - so that he won't falling into the same trap that his grandfather made. He takes it too far, but it's clear that he was close to his grandfather, and was hurt by how few people attended his funeral.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
What's the word on Kiyotaka's character art say? The giant..energy-slashy thing.

Also what's the deal with Mukuro as a name? It seems like any character with that name is always associated with being an outcast, or dark or deformed or something.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Buried alive posted:

Also what's the deal with Mukuro as a name? It seems like any character with that name is always associated with being an outcast, or dark or deformed or something.

Mukuro is a real name, but it's very rare (I've never met anyone in the real world named that), and while one of the word's meanings is approximately "health", another one is "corpse". It also sounds dark because "kuro" means "black".

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'd be interested to know if the other characters' names have defining attributes like that. I mean, I'm sure they do, but I'm curious what they are not knowing anything about Japanese vocabulary and naming (other than Sakura, that one's pretty well known).

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!

My body feels so heavy this morning... It must be because I was up so late last night.

: Anyway, I need to get to the dining hall...

: You're one minute late, Makoto. How do you explain this?
: S-Sorry. I'm not feeling so great today.
: You r-really think a tired excuse like that i-is gonna work?
: Huh? Are you allowed to talk again?
: I don't recall giving you permission...
: Huh...? I-I just thought... I mean, since a d-day had passed, it had maybe r-reset...

: S-S-S-S-Sorry! Please don't hate me! Whatever my p-punishment is, I'll accept it! I'll hang a s-sign from my neck that says "Bad Girl"! I'll clean your bathroom w-with my toothbrush...!
: If you stop making disgusting comments like that, *maybe* I can forgive you.
: Th-Thank you! I won't make any more d-disgusting comments, I promise...! If I do, you can stuff m-my mouth full of trash...
: As long as i-it's you and no one else, I d-don't mind...!
: It's no use. She's disgusting to the bone...

: Anyway, where's Kyoko? I haven't seen her this morning...
: Not cool! This is worse than being late for lunch, for a date, for your wedding, for anything!
: Maybe she's mad about what happened yesterday, and she's not gonna show up anymore...

I can't tell the others why Kyoko might not be here... The best thing to do right now is just keep quiet.

: Whatever her reason, I'm curious to know what she *is* doing. I know she's not in her room, so...
: Oh yeah, you still have her key, right?

: Ah, are you looking for Miss Kirigiri?
: Wgah! What do you want now!?
: I'm right, right? You're wondering where Miss Kirigiri is, right?
: D-Do you know where she is...?
: Hmm... Well, it's hard to say...

: Huh? You don't know, either!?
: It's because he doesn't know. That's why he's here--to try and prod us for information.
: Hey, don'tcha hate it when you ask someone what their favorite movie is, and they name some indie bullcrap?
: I feel like I'm g-getting whiplash, the way he changed s-subjects like that...

Thank goodness. It looks like Monokuma really didn't notice... So I guess our plan went off just fine last night. Which could mean...

: Maybe the mastermind can't monitor us and control Monokuma at the same time.

Could she have been right about that?

: So? Was I right? You're looking for Miss Kirigiri! Any idea where she might have gone...?
: ...We have no idea.
: And even if we did know, we wouldn't tell *you*!
: For serious!
: Hmm... I see...
: Well, fine. Whatever! I don't even care anymore! Sayonara, suckers! *leaves*

As soon as he was gone, we all glanced around at each other.

: So...what was that just now? Does that mean Monokuma doesn't know where she is, either?
: It would seem that way...
: Where the heck could she have gone...?
: Don't you think we should all go look for her?

: And how would you suggest we approach that task? Even Monokuma can't seem to locate her...
: Yeah...how can he not know where she is?
: So strange...

Kyoko must have used that key to sneak into some unknown part of the school... But somewhere even Monokuma wouldn't notice? Where could it be...?

We spent the rest of breakfast talking about where Kyoko could have gone. Afterwards, we returned to out rooms.

: Whew...

Breakfast didn't help me feel any more upbeat, that's for sure. I feel like this is more than just me staying up late last night...

: It's time for more Free Time. We're going to continue with Hiro because he's the only person alive right now whose FTE chain we've begun. He's also usually good for a laugh, something that's in short supply with how few people are still alive.

: Monokuma seems, like...super advanced, right? I think maybe we've been caught in the middle of something terrible...
: A global revolution by the ancient civilization that we've ruined! Their alien technology will destroy us! Or maybe not, I dunno.

Hmm... Should I talk to Hiro while he's acting like this...?

> Spend some time with Hiro

: Huh? You wanna hang out with me?
: Well then, have I got a story for you! My research revealed a surprising connection between Tokyo Tower and the lost Lemurian civilization!

Hiro spent a lot of time talking about stuff that didn't make any sense to me... Hiro and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Sacred Tree Sprig: The branch from a sakaki tree, commonly used in Shinto rituals. It serves as a connection between humans and the gods.

: Guwaaah! Such mysterious power... This is a true-blue OOPart!
: Makoto! The dawn of a new era draws near!

Seeing Hiro so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: Hey, Makoto! Are you familiar with Kamata? It's a tiny little suburb in Tokyo, right!?
: Yeah, I've heard of it. What about it?
: Well, don't tell anyone I told you this, but...they appear there.
: Huh? What does...?
: UMAs!

UMAs are...I think...

: Well crap, I legit had no idea when I recorded this. Time for guessing!

> Spaceships

: You mean spaceships?

: Ugh, no! Those are UFOs, ya dingus! A UMA is basically an animal version of that. I shouldn't have to tell you any more than that, right!?
: Strike one. I know what it is now, but I couldn't resist:

> :thurman:

: ...Thurman?

: Dumb jokes don't work for you, man! I'M supposed to be the stupid one around here!

What!? Why would you say that about yourself!?

: Third time's the charm. Maybe I should've failed other multiple choice questions on purpose; that was thoroughly entertaining.

> Cryptids

: You're talking about cryptids, right? "Unidentified mysterious animals"...

: You got it! And it just so happens they've been appearing in little ol' Kamata!
: ...What...kind of cryptids?
: The terrifying skyfish! In the West, they're usually just called rods. They can fly, and they have a thin body and a big wide fin! They can move their fins in a wave pattern, which lets 'em move faster than the naked eye can see!
: You ever heard of the anomalocaris? Some people think that's what the skyfish evolved from! And some OTHERS think they're an artificial life form, a genetically engineered military superweapon!

: Isn't that scary as hell!?
: But...what would they be doing in Tokyo? And in Kamata, no less?
: Nobody knows. But I think they're dangerous. You know how close Kamata is to Haneda Airport, right? I don't wanna wait till it's too late. I've been thinking I should call all the airlines!
: They need to know there's a way to get rid of those drat skyfish. And I know what it is! As long as they can pay my fee, I can keep things safe for them. That's what I'm gonna tell 'em!
: I wouldn't do that if I were you. I see a lot of jail time in your future if you do...

Plus, isn't that like, super occult? I just don't understand...

: We receive SP+1 for this event.

Once we were all done, I headed back to my room for a little while...

: Nnn... I feel even worse than I did this morning... My body feels like lead, and...now I'm getting chills.

This is bad. I think I might be getting sick...

: Next time, we do another Free Time Event.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 19, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I dug out some notes from what was kinda sorta going to be the style guide for SHSL Translation. Most of it isn't very interesting in and of itself, but apparently someone had this idea that Hagakure would overuse - to the point of cheapening - yellow highlighted text when he talked about occult/conspiracy nonsense, like he's putting on an air of constantly dropping huge plot reveals but actually talking bullshit and making you sick of him.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

FPzero posted:

I'd be interested to know if the other characters' names have defining attributes like that. I mean, I'm sure they do, but I'm curious what they are not knowing anything about Japanese vocabulary and naming (other than Sakura, that one's pretty well known).

I recall that 'Makoto' means 'truth'. Which is why Ishimaru is so approving of his name at the start of the game.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

FPzero posted:

A shining new era is tiptoeing nearer.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: One more Free Time, one more conversation with Hiro.

: A certain organization is behind all of this, I'm finally sure of it...! But I can't say their name, cuz as soon as you do, they come and...get rid of you. Kurt Cobain said their name. John Lennon said their name!
: They're bad...so bad...really really bad!

Hmm... Should I spend time with Hiro while he's in this kind of mood?

> Spend some time with Hiro

: Well then, why don't we have a heated discussion about cosmogony!

I learned all about Hiro's theories on the origin of the universe... Hiro and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Meteorite Arrowhead: An arrowhead discovered in some ancient ruins. Fashioned from a meteorite, they say that getting pierced by it will give you the power to see demons.

: Guwaaah! Such mysterious power... This is a true-blue OOPart!

Seeing Hiro so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: I'm surprised how well you and me get along, Makoto! Seems like we hang out all the time these days.
: Is...that a bad thing?
: Oh, no, not at all! And since we're such good friends, can I ask you something...?

: Wait! I totally realized something just now, completely out of nowhere!

I feel like I'm about to see the performance of a lifetime...

: Say, Makoto... Have you been feeling down in the dumps? No energy, no spark?
: Huh? You think so...?
: Oh, you don't have to hide it from me. I know what it's like, I've been there! And you know what I'd recommend?

: This!
: What is it...?
: A crystal ball!
: Okay...and?
: Just hold on to it for a second! Here, here!

Completely against my will, Hiro shoved the crystal ball into my hands.

: Whaddya think? Nice and cool to the touch. Feels good, doesn't it?
: A-Actually...yeah.
: You can feel it's power, can't you?
: Hmm...*do* I feel it...?

: It's the ancient power of our timeless Mother Earth!
: You see, that crystal ball has quite the history... It was found in the ruins of Atlantis! It is literally a priceless one-of-a-kind artifact! This precious item grants enormous power to whoever holds it, bringing prosperity and peace of mind! This very ball has known the touch of Napoleon, George Washington, even Genghis Khan!

I think that's probably the single most unbelievably unbelievable thing I've ever heard...

: Well, I'd like to give it to you as a present! In return, I'd like you to come with me to a little seminar when we get out of here. And don't worry! I'll see about getting a discount on your entry fee. Cuz that's what friends so!
: Th-That's really nice of you and all, but I'm not sure I'm really interested...
: Sorry! The crystal ball has already acknowledged you as its proper owner! It wants to stay with you. It NEEDS to stay with you! It has given itself to you! So now you gotta keep your promise! You don't wanna know what that thing does to oath breakers...
: Okay, I'm countin' on ya, pal! *leaves*

Refusing to take back the crystal ball, Hiro hurried away... But I could hear him mumbling to himself, and caught something about "finally made my quota"...

: I really hope I heard him wrong...
: This unlocks the skill Crystal Prediction.

I decided to go back to my room for a while...

-----

: Before we continue, I need to bring something up. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but the following scene is pretty weird and I don't believe there's a good way for me to get it across with pictures alone. Because of that, I'm going to provide a video of the scene up to but not including the Monokuma Theater. That's not the end of the update so please come back to read the rest of it when you finish watching.
: A quick apology though, this footage is from my recording raws and as such contains all my screenshot gathering. This means you'll see the text and HUD turn off multiple times through it since those are the cues I give myself to take screenshots later. If you don't mind that and are curious to see what the scene looks like ingame, please give it a watch because this is gonna get strange.

:siren: Click here for the video :siren:

: Grh...I'm getting the chills...

I feel kinda...dizzy...

: ...I can't help it... I need sleep...

Nighttime wasn't for a while, but...I felt like my body had reached its limit... As I dropped onto my bed, I felt like I was falling into a bottomless pit.

I was unconscious before my head hit the pillow. Well, that's not quite true. I didn't pass out completely. It was more like...my consciousness went dim. I weaved back and forth between sleep and wakefulness. Which is all to say...

...I was restless.

: Gh...nn... Nnngg...

At some point, I found myself wandering through a strange dream.

And within the dream, a voice echoed across the walls of my mind.

???: ...

???: I under...

???: Understand...

That voice... It's so familiar... Ah--! It's...!

???: I...understand...

It's...me...

: I...understand... I should...understand everything. My goal isn't to get out of here... It's...to stay here.

...Huh? What am I trying to say...?

: Hope... This is all...for hope. And that's why... I have to stay... I have...to stay here.

Music cuts out.

: Ah--grh! My dream just now... What...? So strange... ...Huh?

: ...! Gh--! Gwaaaaaaahh!

*whish*

*smash*

*footsteps running away*

*Pant...*

*Pant...pant...*

*Pant...pant...pant...*

: Nn...? Kyoko...?
: ... ... ...
: What the...? What did you...?
: What did you...say?
: ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
: ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

: Every day is peaceful. Every day is joyful. Happy days from the time you take up to the time you go to sleep. Wishing only for those unchanging, unending happy days, day of boredom repeating forever and ever. No abnormalities as far as the eye can see. Life without the tiniest speck of abnormality... If the world were like that, I'd consider *that* pretty drat abnormal.

*Ding dong, bing bong*

: Good morning, everyone! It is now 7 a.m. and nighttime is officially over! Time to rise and shine! Get ready to greet another beee-yutiful day!

: ... ...Grn...

It took longer than usual for me to open my eyes.

: ... Haa...

I let out a deep sigh to bring myself up the rest of the way. The chills, the aches, the unfathomable lethargy--they had all disappeared in the night. All that was left was me, drenched in sweat... It wasn't just because of whatever bug I'd caught, either. It was also...

: ...the dream I'd had.

What the hell was that...? I mean...was it ever really a dream? I was desperate to recall it. I scrambled to grab onto fragments of the dream and reel them up from the depths of my memory. That's right. I remember last night...

...I came down with a fever, and couldn't quite get to sleep.

And I...I heard a voice... I didn't really understand... And then...

All of a sudden, I was awake.

And there was a strange person standing next to my bed, wearing a...mask. And...they were holding a knife.

I want to say I fought them off, but...I don't actually remember. I felt like my mind had been detached from my body, burning up with fever. I was somewhere far away, watching my body move on its own. And because of that...I don't remember what really happened. But still... I feel like I resisted them desperately, feverishly.... After that, things go black again. The next thing I remember...

...Kyoko was there. But...what would she have been doing in my room?

: What a strange dream.

No... Was it really a dream? How can I possibly find out either way...?

: That knife looked familiar...

I opened the desk drawer, and...

It's empty. There's nothing inside...

: Wait, nothing inside? That's...strange.

Because it definitely wasn't before. I'm positive I put the knife I got from Toko in here.

: Wait, that means...

The knife they told me to keep safe...!

I knew it... I just had a feeling... It wasn't a dream, after all! But if that's true, this all makes even less sense... Why would someone have wanted to attack me? And who was that behind the mask? And why was Kyoko...?

: What the hell is going on...? ...

Well, I don't think I'm gonna figure it out on my own.

: I should head to the dining hall. Then I can talk to everyone else about it...

: See you next time.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 19, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like how Naegi sleeps with a fever in his awesome hoodie.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
My popcorn is prepared.

I bet that Naegi isn't going to get a chance to say "hey you know that knife I was guarding...?"

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Totally unrelated and this only affects me but I finally found an archive of hi-res full body portraits for all the characters from the Steam release. This means I actually have access to Makoto's full body portraits and can finally have more than two portraits for him. I'm not going to go back and edit in new portraits for every single instance of him speaking, mostly because there's no way to tell what portrait would be best during the Daily and Deadly Life parts of the Chapter, but also because Makoto doesn't really have a full set of emotions in his portraits. Since they only show up during the trials, all his portraits are essentially some variations of serious, nervous, or surprised (other than the singular smiling portrait I've already been using). What I can and probably will do is go back and add them to the Trial updates both past and future. It has always bothered me that the most important character by virtue of being the player character hasn't had proper portraits thanks to nobody seeming to have sprite rips for his various faces up until now.

It's really not a big deal, but I'm happy because I really like putting in the highest quality I can for this LP. I like it to look good for everyone.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 24, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

My popcorn is prepared.

I bet that Naegi isn't going to get a chance to say "hey you know that knife I was guarding...?"

"...The Hotline Miami guy stole it."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"...The Hotline Miami guy stole it."

"Hahahaha that's a good one everyone knows Richard doesn't exist and is only a figment of your imagination."
"How did you know his name was Richard?"
".... Oh crap."

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Ah, Makoto! Yup, that's Makoto, sure as the sky's blue!
: Hey, Hina...
: You really had me worried, ya know? What happened to you last night?
: Worried...?
: Yeah, right after nighttime hit, we all went to get you. We were hammering away at your doorbell, but you never answered. We thought maybe you'd been...you know...

: I mean, not that that'd actually happen! I mean, nobody here would wanna--you know! So anyway...what were you doing?
: I didn't feel good, so I went right to bed. I had no idea you guys even showed up... But why did you come to get me? Did something happen?
: Umm...well, lots of stuff, actually. I'm not sure I can really explain...
: Let's go meet up with [everyone else], then they can tell you all about it!

> everyone else

: So...is everyone waiting somewhere else or something?

: Oh, yeah! We all stayed up the whole night!
: The whole night...!?
: I lost at rock-paper-scissors so I had to come get breakfast for everyone...
: So you got here just in time! C'mon, help me carry it.
: O-Okay, sure...
: Everyone's in the gym. Hurry up, I'll meet you there!

The gym...? Why's everyone in the gym?

: And...the entire night?

: Ah, there he is!
: This is worse than being late for your wedding, the birth of your son, and your own funeral, all at once!
: Jeez. To show up now, like it's no big deal...
: You made us s-stay up all night, while you slept like a b-baby in your bed...?

Just like Hina said, everyone was there. Besides Kyoko... And then I noticed... They'd formed a circle around...something. As soon as I saw what that "something" was...

: What the--!?

Before I could catch myself, I'd cried out.

Spread out in front of them...were the remains of Monokuma.

: Wh-What are you doing?
: What does it look like? We're dismantling it to see what makes it tick.
: Dismantling!? But I mean...that's Monokuma you're messing with, right!?
: Yeah, that's right.
: She's not even fazed...!

: Relax. There's no danger.
: You say that, but...

What is this!? What are you guys doing!?

: Seriously, what are you thinking!? How can you say tearing apart something like that isn't dangerous?
: It isn't! What do you want us to say?

: Well, I guess I'll handle this. I'll explain what's goin' on, Makoto. Cuz that's how much I like ya!
: Byakuya found this li'l fella layin' around, then we tore it apart!
: That doesn't explain anything...

: Just before we went to bed last night, I came to the gym to try and talk to Monokuma. I wanted to see if he had any new information about Kyoko's disappearance. And I found him here, just like normal. However...when I found him, he was no more than a regular toy. He didn't react, didn't say a word.
: You're saying...he wasn't moving at all?
: I waited there until nighttime officially began, but still Monokuma laid there motionless. I gathered everyone up as quickly as possible so they could take a look. Even then, he still didn't make a move. So I immediately initiated the disassembly process.
: It was Master's s-stroke of genius. A chance to find out what m-made Monokuma tick...
: One thing we discovered is that he's quite a sophisticated machine. It's leagues beyond any normal remote-control toy. Who has enough free time to invest in something like that, anyway...?
: B-But besides that, what I'm wondering is...why did he stop moving all of a sudden?

: I thought maybe he'd malfunctioned, but we didn't find any cause as we were taking him apart.
: So if he didn't break down...
: Then maybe something happened to his puppeteer, the mastermind. Something unexpected. I can't imagine any other possibility.
: Something...unexpected?

: They were probably so s-scared of Master, they ran away in t-terror...
: Or maybe they got sick or something?
: But Monokuma made his announcement this morning, right? Who was that, if not the mastermind?
: Oh, I'm sure that's a recording. It's set to a timer, and plays as necessary.
: That's true. He says the exact same thing every day, right?
: Hey, guys? I don't think now's a good time for light conversation...

Music cuts out.

: I just found something. What is it...?
: I-It's...!
: It's what?
: A bomb. There's some installed in every Monokuma robot, I'm sure.

: A b-b-b-bomb!?
: That's super bad! We need to get rid of it!
: Roger that!
: It appears the bomb has a motion sensor. Any sudden movements, it's sure to go off.
: M-Motion sensor!? For serious!? Agh...I'm starting to get all shaky...!
: Hey! Get it together! You're a man, aren't ya!?
: I-I'm fine! I'm totally fine! Ah, ah, ah!
: You're so NOT fine! You're all "ah ah ah"!

Music fades out.

: Oh, I probably should have mentioned. The motion sensor is off right now.
: Ha-ha-ha-ha! Jeez, don't scare me like that!

: God, you're like the world's most spineless worm of the century!
: Hey, come on! The century's just getting started! Don't call the race already...
: Whatever... Just h-hurry up and put the bomb down. Hanging onto it's not g-gonna do anyone any good...
: Oh yeah, good call.

*thunk*

: Okay, it's down! Everything's all good!

Hiro put the bomb down, but that wasn't my main concern at that point.

My eyes were glued to Monokuma's remains... He'd just stopped moving all of a sudden. Was it really because something had happened to the mastermind that they weren't expecting...? But what could that have been? When I thought about it...

...I couldn't help but think back to the night before. Being attacked by that masked figure...

: Hey, uh...Makoto?
: Huh?
: Don't "huh" us! Did you hear a thing we just said!?

: So that's a n-no. What are you, some k-king of brain-dead farm animal...?
: S-Sorry...
: We were just saying, since we're done dismantling Monokuma, what should we do now?

: And we've decided to continue our offensive assault.
: To try and uncover the mastermind's true identity, we're going to break into the headmaster's room.
: R-Really...?
: Since the mastermind appears to have stopped all activity, now's our chance. Wouldn't you agree?
: B-But...if the mastermind comes back while we're in there...

: If you're scared, you're welcome to stay here by yourself.
: Or go l-live in the chicken coop, with all the other chickens. You can be chicken number s-six...
: This is a battle, a fight to the death between us and the mastermind. We don't have time to deliberate.
: Yeah. I mean, I don't wanna hafta kill each other, or anyone else. But we have a chance now...

: So? What are you going to do? Are you going to run away, or are you going to fight?
: ...You're right. I'll go with you.
: Okay then. We're going to break into the headmaster's room. Everything comes down to this moment. Anything can happen, so prepare yourselves.
: I'll follow you a-anywhere, Master! To all the ends of the E-Earth!
: Sakura...if you can hear me, lend me your strength...
: I can do this... I'm a man, and I can do this! I've got the will of the entire universe on my side!

We each found determination in our own ways, and when we were ready, we left the gym. Our target was the headmaster's room, on the 4th floor of the school.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 19, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

School Mode Free Time Roundup #8: Hifumi Yamada

: I know I'm interrupting a climatic moment but if I don't put this in now, I won't get a chance until much later! Today, we're going to go through Hifumi's Free Time Events. Hifumi's FTE Chain is 5 events long. Like Taka's update, this one will probably be a little long due to wanting to put his remaining four events into one update.
: Hifumi's first event can be found in Chapter 3, Part 8.

> Spend time together

: Cosplayers these days are totally ignorant of the origin, the history, the significance of their hobby! And if you don't know your history, you can never have a complete cosplay experience!
: So, Mr. Naegi, prepare for a gloriously detailed history of the cosplay world. Now, in 1955...

I listened to Hifumi's half-obsessed ranting for way too long... Hifumi and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Potato Chips: A staple snack food made by frying thin potato slices in oil. Beware its dangerously high calorie count.

: Er, I mean, I guess it's okay!
: Anyway, if you wanted to hang out for a while...!

Seeing Hifumi so pleased with something I gave him makes me happy!

: Now then! This time, would you like to learn about one of my many legends?
: Your legends...?
: Naturally! You don't become the Ultimate Fanfic Creator without a few legends sprouting up around you! One legend is how, in middle school, I was able to convince the school to create a fanfic club!
: And from that day, I exposed myself and my fanfic to the world at large! By the way, do you happen to know what all my work is based on?
: Sorry, no idea...
: Well, surely you've heard of the highly acclaimed anime Demon Angel☆Pretty Pudgy Princess!

: Now, you might think that that sounds totally cliche, but you would be WRONG! I didn't simply copy the "pretty girl" Princess Piggles style. I took a total meta sci-fi approach! My perspective was seen as quite odd, of course, but if you really look at what I was doing, my version of Princess Piggles was the total antithesis of the new-wave sci-fi movement. In fact, it was my response to J.G. Ballard's speculative fiction stylings!
: Buwheh! Ahh, my geekdom is leaking out again. I apologize!
: Anyway, unlike most fans, I never saw Princess Piggles as your typical moe anime.
: Yeah, I definitely got that impression... But I can't believe you were able to single-handedly persuade the school to let you make a club...

: Oh, that's because I bribed them with a cut of my profits.

Profits...?

: And I've only gotten better at it! I'm blowin' up! Now then, up till now, I've always focused on taking part in Princess Piggles single-setting events.
: Single-setting...?
: It's when a circle gets together to come up with a project or event focused on only one show or series. So a Princess Piggles single-setting event would only allow works involving Princess Piggles, see? On the flipside, if there's no restriction on the number of properties, do you know what that's called?

A single-setting event only allows material from one show or series... And the opposite of that is when anything is allowed from any property...

> Free-for-all

: The opposite of the single-setting event... Is it just called a free-for-all?
: That's absolutely right! There are actually plenty of free-for-all events every year, and yet...

: More and more slackers are showing up with no idea what fanfic really means! It's so ANNOYING! So in order to crush these peons with all my might, I'm going to start taking part in more free-for-alls!
: Crush them...? That doesn't sound very friendly...
: I don't participate in these events to make friends! And I cannot forgive those lazy bastards! And don't tell me to ignore them! If you let some little wimp survive, you'll regret it later! Play any RPG where the villain spares the hero when he's level 1, and what happens? Boom! Dead!

I...kinda get it. But I kinda don't...

: It's a dog-eat-dog industry, where only the most brutal survive. Oh, but don't worry. I'm gonna start you off easy by getting you involved in some simple cosplay action!
: Huh? I'm gonna get involved? ...Wait, did you say cosplay!?

: You're a pretty good-looking guy. If your costume was decent enough, I might even let you work my booth!
: Bwehehe... I bet you could even net yourself a magical girl harem!
: So with that in mind, let's change the world of fanfic together!
: ...What does that even mean?
: This second event gives us SP+1.
: The third event takes place in the dojo.

: I know I look like I'm all about the cutting edge, but I have a profound love for retro games, too! Let's begin my four-part history of electronic games. Part 1: Ancient Babylonia...

I listened to Hifumi's half-obsessed ranting for longer than I would've liked... Hifumi and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Black Croissant: A baked good made from black ingredients. It looks burnt, but it's actually pretty good.

: Keh-heh. So you thought this would please me, huh? You thought this... This would...!
: Guhwaaaaahh!

I get the impression that he liked it. That's good...

: I don't get how this is a "Like" response but I'll take it?

: Makoto...
: Wh-What's wrong, Hifumi?
: It...hurts...!
: What hurts! Are you okay!?
: Gh--! Gh-gah-grh-guh!
: Y-You're really...uh, sweaty. I'll go get you some medicine! Er, wait! What kind of medicine do you need!?
: ...Coke...
: Huh?

: Coke! Diet Coke! Bring me some Diet Coke right nooooooowww!

Whoa! He just pulled a total 180!

: But...I don't think I've seen any Diet Coke here in the school.
: I-I know... I've looked all over...
: And now I'm going through Diet Coke withdrawal!

Withdrawal...?

: Kh--! If only I'd mastered the hypno-eye technique... Then I'd take over Monokuma's brain and use him to go get me some Diet Coke! But I never did learn that one... You got lucky this time, bear... So, uh...
: I can't take it anymore! I would literally murder everyone in here for a can of Diet Coke!
: D-Don't say stuff like that! You gotta get through this, man!
: You can say that cuz you don't understand the glory and splendor of Diet Coke!

: Diet Coke is...a friend to all mankind... A single sip and your body melts like butter! It's the kind of high nothing can match. It clears my mind, and even the most boring conversation sounds like a cinematic masterpiece!
: Kh...! I knew I was going through withdrawal...! Am I hallucinating now!?
: Kyaaaaahhh! Away, vile spirits! I cast thee out!
: Hifumi, calm down!
: Nng... Here come the auditory hallucinations. That voice...!

: Ah! Princess Piggles! It's you!
: S-Snap out of it, man!
: The princess told me to snap out of it...!
: You can't let Diet Coke beat you!
: You're right, I won't lose... I'm a strong boy! I can endure this! For you, my princess!
: Now let's play tag! Hooray! Hooray! Tag, you're it! *leaves*

Squealing like a little girl, Hifumi ran off to who knows where...

: Umm... He's gonna be okay...right?

Yeah. He'll be fine. For sure.

: This event gives us SP+1.
: The fourth event takes place at the pool.

: So you want to be around me, eh? That means you must have realized that I have certain...powers.
: Yes, that's right! My greatest power is my ability to negate the powers of others! I've never actually used it in a fight yet, but I'm not worried. Cuz whatever abilities they have...all I need is my power of negation!

Hifumi cornered me and made me take part in his delusion... Hifumi and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Tips & Tips: A thick book that has hints and codes for every game ever released. A must-have for any true gaming fanatic.

: Er, I mean, I guess it's okay!
: Anyway, if you wanted to hang out for a while...!

: Hey, Mr. Naegi?
: Yeah? What's up?
: I feel like you're worthy of my trust, you know? You're the only one...I can confess to.

: I've reached my limit. I need to get out of here. Right now.
: H-Hey, come on. Don't talk like that when you've got that creepy grin on your face...
: I need to see her. I need to get to a TV. I need to see the real Princess Piggles.

What's he mean, "real"? She's a cartoon cahracter. But now might be a bad time to bring that up...

: L-Listen, don't get so upset. I'm sure you'll see her again really soon! You'll see your...uh, what was it? Something angel pretty pudgy princess?

: "Something" angel...? SOMETHING angel!?
: How dare you insult the princess like that!? Say her name right, swine!

Her official name... Uh...what was it again? I know it was definitely "something" angel...

> Demon

: Oh! Now I remember! The full title is Demon Angel Pretty Pudgy Princess, right!?
: It's actually Demon Angel☆Pretty Pudgy Princess, to be precise. You left out the star. But I suppose I'll let that slide.
: Th-Thanks... But jeez, Hifumi... You really love that anime, huh?
: Of course. She's my guiding angel. She opened my eyes to life.

: Before her, I didn't have a single friend. I was just a mild-mannered boy who liked to draw. I hurt everything I touched. I was a model young lad who fell to the Dark Side... For example! Sometimes a nicey-nice type girl would come try to talk to me, right?
: You know, be nice to the weird, dorky kid. And I'd scream at her, "You're such a hypocrite!"
: I'd just yell right in her face and make her cry. Man I loved doing that...

That's awful... He probably traumatized that poor girl!

: But by total chance, I happened to catch an episode of Demon Angel☆Pretty Pudgy Princess one day. At first, I felt nothing but contempt for it. I thought it was just another magical girl anime.

: However...after that, she came to me in my dreams.
: Your dreams...?
: I dreamed that I went on date after lovely date with Princess Piggles. It was...so much fun. When I woke up and realized it was a dream, I got depressed. But I also realized...I was in love. I wanted to experience that sensation again, so I started buying all the Princess Piggles stuff I could.
: Unfortunately, in the show itself, the princess never falls in love... So as much as I wanted to, I never got to see her face filled with love, the way I did in my dream.
: The face she made when she was in love was the cutest thing I've ever seen...

: So, filled to the brim with my overflowing affection for the princess, I decided to draw that face myself! I was consumed with passion, and I finished one Princess Piggles project after another. I was so happy with the reults, I decided to put it up on my personal website, just to see what happened.
: And it was an instant success! That was the moment I was reborn as a true fanfic creator!
: So that's why, huh?
: I was so happy... I had no idea there were other people on the planet who'd felt the same things I had. I can't thank her, I know that! So instead...
: I'll ball up all my love and affection, and use it to do incredibly embarrassing things to her!

I think he missed the mark...by a mile. But...maybe I'm better off for hearing what he had to say. I think I understand him a little better now...

: She's still developing as a woman, you know! And I can keep developing her in all sorts of ways!

...And maybe understanding him just a *little* better is good enough.

: This event unlocks the skill Delusion. It takes 5 SP. It's actually a really helpful skill if you know you're likely to take damage during a trial because it will slowly restore your HP gauge while you're Focusing. It combos well with other Focus Gauge-related skills and is overall a solid choice. The major downside again is that it's locked behind Hifumi's FTEs so you'd need to know of its existence on the first playthrough or get really lucky and choose to do his events before he dies. The other downside is that it uses a lot of SP, meaning you have less opportunity to use other skills. It's one of only three skills to use 5 SP.
: The fifth and final event starts in the laundry room.

: You wanna hear what I have to say, huh? Well, what would you like to talk about? Comics? Video games? Anime? Collectible figures? Take your pick!

I listened to Hifumi's half-obsessed ranting for longer than I would've liked... Hifumi and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Demon Angel Princess Figure: A collectible figure of Princess Piggles, the popular heroine from "Demon Angel Pretty Pudgy Princess."

: I was once a ruthless ubermensch, but Mr. Naegi has awakened my heart through the power of friendship! May I call you...my master? What is thy bidding, my master?

: Hi there, Mr. Naegi. It's kind of embarrassing, but there was something I was hoping to talk to you about...
: I'll be waiting in my room...! Come as soon as you can! *leaves*

Without another word, Hifumi ran off.

: I wonder what's going on...

To go our of his way to invite me to his room... What could he want to talk to me about?

I did what Hifumi asked and headed straight for his room.

: Gwehehe... Welcome, Mr. Naegi, to my secret flower garden...!
: So, what did you want to talk about? Is it about Princess Piggles again?
: Piggles...?
: No! Who cares about her!?
: What do you mean, who cares? I thought *you* cared! Like, a lot!

: Oh, well, maybe I misspoke. It's just that I don't have room to think about her right now. See, I was kinda starting to think about...just maybe...creating something original.
: Original...?
: It's actually been in the back of my mind the whole time I've been doing fanfic. Fanfic is amazing, don't get me wrong. It's a way to connect people to a shared dream, so to speak.
: But I think I have more to offer. I'm ready for the challenge of creating that dream myself! I was thinking...if I could create something that might save someone, the way the princess saved me...

: I want to create a masterpiece that will astound a mainstream audience! I only watch anime on the weekend, and I only really know the most popular comics... I want to try and make something that has the same reach as stuff like that! I guess what I really want to do, is create something that other people will want to make fanfic of...
: Of course, I'll still keep making fanfic myself! That's my life's work, after all! But if that can coexist alongside original work, that's like the best of both worlds!
: So that's your dream?
: Uwah! A dream...!? When you put it like that...! Ahh, stop! You're embarrassing me!
: But...having a dream to work toward is really nice. I'll be cheering you on...in private.

: No, Mr. Naegi! In private is unacceptable!
: I want you to become my assistant. That's right, a legendary assistant-slash-historian!

: Oh man, how cool is that!? You'll be like my own personal narrator!
: Long ago, there was a man named Hifumi Yamada. He was an incredibly famous fanfic creator...
: His grandpa went up the mountain to cut and cut and cut...and cut...gwehehe... His grandma spent her days washing clothes. Washing pants. Washing...all kinds of stuff... Here comes a rare giant peach down the river... Grab it! Sell it to the highest bidder!
: ...Hifumi?

: Oh, sorry. I just got a little carried away in my latest plot.

That's what that was...?

: Anyway, I'll be counting on you to give the world a play-by-play as I ascend into godhood. Um, I mean...if I'm successful...
: I'll be counting on your unique perspective...as my friend.

I'm glad I got to learn about Hifumi's dreams... I feel like I've come to understand Hifumi a lot better... I think we've finally become friends in the truest sense of the word.

: This final event gives us SP+1. It also gives us a star on his report card and unlocks a bronze Playstation trophy titled Lost in Scanslation.

Hifumi Yamada's Character Art

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 19, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You forgot the star. :allears:

oh and i guess monokumas dead but whatever :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I knew Yamada was messed up but drat :stare:

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
His legs look too small for his body in that character artwork. He looks like he has little chicken legs.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I disliked Hifumi already but I think this is the only time the free time events has made me like a character less instead of more. You get to know him and find out he is self absorbed, absent-mindedly cruel and shallow all the way to the bone. I really hate Hifumi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Please, anything but being an Assistant Slash Historian...

• Locked thread