Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
In the fairly likely case that you're not allowed to run away, then the only logical course of action in this class trial is to pursue the lie. After all, it's not like we can possibly just trust the person who's been pointing the finger at us all this time ... is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

> Pursue the lie

: There was a lie hidden within Kyoko's statement just now...
: A lie...?
: Isn't that right, Kyoko?

: ...You said it. The burden of proof is on you.
: So let's hear it. Where's the lie, then?

Kyoko is definitely lying. And it must be because...there's some deeper truth she wants to keep hidden!

: I didn't have the key to my room...
: ...because I'd given it to Byakuya.
: There's no doubt about that, right?
: You are correct.
: So I couldn't possible have gotten into my room.
: Then...when we searched Kyoko's room...
: ...how else could the key have gotten there?
: Someone other than me must have put it there. That's the only explanation.

Kyoko says it wasn't her who left the key to the dojo locker in her room. But is that really true?

: By self-admission, Kyoko told us that Monokuma's key allows her to open any lock in the school!

> Shoot "gotten into my room" with "Kyoko's Account"

: No, Kyoko *could* have gotten into her room. You said so yourself, didn't you Kyoko?

: Actually, to be precise...not quite.
: I used Monokuma's secret tool, which can open any lock in the school.
: What...!?

: Monokuma's secret tool...?

: Kyoko stole it from the headmaster's room. It lets you get into any room in the school. Which means, she could have used it to get into her own room.

: ...

: Then I guess that's it.
: You're giving up just like that? You admit to killing--
: No, I'm simply recognizing that I lost.
: Wh-What are you talking about?
: Like I said, this was a trap. And I wasn't able to escape it. So I lost...

: That's all this means.
: ...Huh? Then...are you saying...? You really didn't...? Kyoko, you really...aren't the killer?

: Okaaay! Time's up!
: ...Huh?
: I'm sorry to say, but your time is up! All done, all finished. The class trial is allll over!

: B-But that's ridiculous! Since when is there any--?
: It's because you were late! So the trial started late, and time ran out!
: So then, it's time for voting time, okay? Everyone, please vote using the lever in front of you! But I guess we already know who the blackened is, don't we!?

: Puhuhu... Puuuhuhuhu!

: Puhuhu... Good job. You got it right!
: Ahahaha! Brilliantly right!

We got it...right? Does that mean...Kyoko really is the killer? But... Something strange is going on here... There's something wrong with this whole class trial!

: Kyoko--!

: I've prepared an extra special punishment this time! Is everyone ready? Okay then...!

: Let's give it everything we've got! It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIME!

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO :siren:

And that's how the class trial of Mukuro Ikusaba came to an end... I still had to wonder whether Kyoko was actually innocent, or...

Regardless, the truth was lost forever. Even for me... I just stopped thinking about it.

That was the end of Mukuro's class trial. And in the end, it would prove to be our last class trial. Once that case was over, there was never a single murder at Hope's Peak ever again.

We had obtained peace, in exchange for the lives of all the others...

Peace, but only inside the school... Peace, but only for us...

That was the only hope we had.

Hope. Hope...

Hope...?

This is hope?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 19, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yes, the bad end of the game is gotten by doing what you did for every other trial!

It's a weird choice!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes, the bad end of the game is gotten by doing what you did for every other trial!

It's a weird choice!

"Every other trial" doesn't have inexplicable hints of Junko being involved among the general weirdness and Kyoko making extremely telegraphed lies.

Anyway, what happened to Toko?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Given the black ribbons on her photo, it's clear she died at some point.

And yes, one of Hagakure's predictions comes true in this end.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

hopeandjoy posted:

It's a weird choice!

Nothing weird about it. Didn't you hear Kyoko say repeatedly that this was a trap? The game even gives you a couple warnings along the lines of "Are you sure?"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Robindaybird posted:

Given the black ribbons on her photo, it's clear she died at some point.

And Byakuga looks so happy.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I guess we'll see when the real murderer is revealed but it's a bit odd that the killer gets away with it and proceeds to never kill again even though they're still stuck in there.

Also everyone has a baby with Hina?

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
...what?

I'm... honestly stunned. What? What was that?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Actually if we were following the rules wouldn't Kyoko only be executed if she actually were the killer?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks for the LP FPZero, great work! Hope you're still doing SDR2 :)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Virtue posted:

Actually if we were following the rules wouldn't Kyoko only be executed if she actually were the killer?

This only works under the assumption that the mastermind is still following their own rules. I and Stabbey the Clown have already brought up the possibility that they aren't following the rules, or at least not anymore.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016

serefin99 posted:

This only works under the assumption that the mastermind is still following their own rules. I and Stabbey the Clown have already brought up the possibility that they aren't following the rules, or at least not anymore.

...if the Mastermind isn't following their own rules, then who's to say that Mukuro is actually dead? If she actually is the Mastermind, she could have planted Junko's body as her own, assuming that since Junko died first, so long ago, nobody would recognize her.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The mastermind clearly isn't following their own rules. They force an end to the trial the second the find out who had the all access key, so it's pretty clear there's another motivation at work here other than the murder itself.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video. :siren:

: No! This isn't right!

...Huh?

: Makoto, why are you staring off into space? Don't you have a rebuttal for Kyoko's claim?

Her claim...? Oh, that's right. I have to... Do I expose Kyoko's lie or not...?

: If you spend all your time trying to avoid danger, you'll never move forward. We know the danger. But if that risk means solving the mystery, we have no choice.

: Am I wrong?

She's not wrong. I have to think about this very carefully. What do I do...?

I have to decide right here and now whether or not to expose Kyoko's lie...!

> Let it go

...I've made my decision. I have to believe in Kyoko. There's no way she would kill someone! There has to be some secret here, something that has to do with the mastermind's trap that Kyoko mentioned.

: Well? Does no one have a rebuttal? Have you decided to accept her asertion as fact?
: I see. So you still refuse to accept it. I suppose we have to admit that Kyoko didn't put the locker key in her room, that it was someone else.

: But...who else could it have been?
: I mean, Byakuya had her room key, right?
: Y-You! What are you t-trying to imply!?
: But of course I have an alibi. From nighttime on, I was with you guys the entire time... I couldn't possibly have killed anyone, or put the key in Kyoko's room.
: Well *someone* had to put the key in there...

: There's only one other possibility I can think of... Someone could have had the key on them, then once they arrived at the scene, pretended to "find" it there.
: What...?
: I-It had to be Makoto...right?
: ...I don't see any other option.

: W-Wait a second! You've got it all wrong! Let's think about it one more time! There's got to be a hidden side to this case!
: Huh? A hidden side...?
: First of all, there's something off about this entire trial! You all see it, don't you?
: Mukuro, who we didn't even know existed, suddenly shows up dead, and then we're thrown into a trial...! And Kyoko even said, it's a trap the mastermind set for us! So that's why...this has to be--!

: Okaaay! Time's up!
: Time's up! Class trial's all over! Everyone can stop talking now!

: What? Time's up?
: What do you mean time's up? There's no "time's up." Since when have we--?
: It's because you were late! So we had to push back the start time!

: So then, it's time for voting time, okay? Everyone, please vote using the lever in front of you!
: Voting time...?

: Now, who will be chosen as the blackened? Will you make the right choice, or the dreadfully wrong one?
: Hey, hold on!

: What's it gonna be? What's it gonna beeee!?

: What...? You think *I'm* the killer...?

: Sorry, man...
: Yeah, s-sorry...
: It's all your f-fault...!
: Everyone...you're wrong...! You've got it all wrong! I didn't do it!

: Good job, everyone!
: G-Good job...?
: Yeah. They got it right!
: N-No, I know that's not true... None of this makes any sense... This whole trial doesn't make any sense!

: It makes perfect seeeeEEEENNNSSSSSEEE!!!
: It's the same as always! It's just like all the other class trials! And I'm gonna end it the same way!
: It's time for your heartpounding, positively thrilling punishment!
: W-Wait! Why do I--!?

: Kyoko--!
: I don't expect you to forgive me. I know this is all my fault...
: Kyoko...?

: Let's give it everything we've got! It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIME!

:siren: CLICK HERE FOR THE VIDEO :siren:

: Huh? Huuuuh!?
: What's this? What's going on!?

: Hey, was that...!?
: Ah! Yeah, it had to be!
: Alter Ego...!
: ...Alter Ego!? is this some stupid virus from that stupid guy!?

: He must have planted it when he invaded my network...! drat it all to hell! I don't believe this!
: It seems you finally made a miscalculation.
: No...you miscalculated from the very beginning.
: ...What was that?

: What I'm saying is, you shouldn't have underestimated us.
: Hmph! Why are you talking like you've already won!? I barely felt a thing! It was a pinch, an itch! The stupid virus is gone now, got it!? And so is Makoto... Maybe I didn't get to smash him flat, but you're never gonna see him again!

: To waste away in a garbage-strewn pit... In a way, that's an even BETTER special punishment!
: Puhu... Puhuhu...!
: But it's still not enough... I'm still not satisfied! I'm still gonna bring despair to the rest of you--bring despair to the entire world...!
: Puhuhu... Puhuhu... Puhuhu... Puhuhu... Puhuhu... Puhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu...! *leaves*

: Is he...gone?
: Hey, Kyoko. What's the meaning of all this? Just what the hell is going on?
: It's okay. We're not the ones being trapped this time.
: Huh...?
: Now it's the mastermind that's ensnared...
: What are you talking about...?

: You'll understand soon enough. Very soon indeed...

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 19, 2016

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
Alright, so Alter Ego wasn't as dead as we thought, which shouldn't be surprising. He's a program, so crushing the laptop he was originally on only after he had been plugged into the mainframe wouldn't have done anything. Also, the only way to progress is to be found guilty. Huh.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I love that the bad ending is all something that Makoto imagined. That means that he was totally able to figure out what kind of ironic punishment that Monokuma would use for Kyoko, and figured that even if nobody else was murdered, then Toko would end up dead someday just because.

The only thing that he wasn't able to guess was Alter Ego's intervention, but he assumed that Alter Ego was destroyed with the computer.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

rip, gg.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BofddwtPBPw

i forgot that the bad end is all in his head, since there are questions about how the mastermind would act in that outcome.

Gihyou
Feb 19, 2011

Oh God no the ball is gone.
At least now that Makoto fell into a pit, never to be seen again, he won't get a chance to say anything stupid to the others, like, "Hey, Kyoko, I imagined that I convinced everyone you were the murderer and you were killed and I quickly forgot about you and we lived happily ever after." Or, "Hey, Aoi, when I say we live happily ever after I mean me and the other guys take turns impregnating you." Or, "Hey, Toko, when I say we live happily ever after I mean you also die somehow."

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
One thing to note about the bad ending:

The only camera around the place for taking pictures is Hifumi's which it was a plot point during the third trial doesn't have a timer on it.

Meaning that for everyone to take that picture together, either Toko would have had to be the one taking it and Byakuya was holding up a portrait so that she could still be in the picture, or they somehow got Monokuma to take the picture for them.

Except Monokuma lacks thumbs.

EDIT: Rephrased to make more sense.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

No, that's definitely a Funerary picture - Black ribbons means the person is deceased, is no more, pining for the fjords.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Imagination or not, the outcomes of this trial makes me think that the mastermind was never planning to play fair. If the game had allowed you to make the wrong choice in an earlier trial, Monokuma would've executed whoever was chosen, somehow would've silenced the actual killer, and let the trials go on.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The massive high school towers over all the other buildings in this bustling urban area. It's like the school stands at the center of the entire world.

It brings in top students from every field imaginable. A government-funded school of privilege... They say that if you come here and manage to graduate, you'll be set for life. With hundreds of years of tradition, it sends the cream of the crop into the work force every year. It was built to raise hope in the nation's future. Which makes Hope's Peak a pretty fitting name.

There are two things you need to attend this school... One, you have to already be attending high school. Two, you have to be the very best at what you do. No ordinary student could enroll here. The only way in is if you're scouted by the school itself.

And standing there at the gate of the ultimate school filled with the ultimate students...

...was me.

: ............Nng?

: Wh-What...? Where am I?

I woke up with my head resting on top of a hard wooden desk. My body felt...heavy. It's pretty normal for me to zonk off in the middle of some boring class or whatever, but... What was I doing asleep here just now? This isn't a classroom I've ever been in before.

: What the heck is going on...?

: Gh...!

Finally... I could finally feel my mind and body start to come back together again. And then...I was awake. Or...was this just another dream?

A dream...inside a hopeless nightmare.

: No...this isn't a dream.

I could tell, because the stench invading my nostrils was too powerful for a dream.

: What an awful smell...

I was in a vast, dark cavern, with the barest hint of light seeping in. Trash was piled high all across the area.

: This must be some kind of...underground garbage pit.

A heck of a situation to find myself in. But that was just the beginning of my problems... Was I going to be stuck in there till I wasted away and died?

: No, I can't let that happen...! Not after what my good friend went through to save me!

I remembered all too well what had happened.

Alter Ego...saved me. And he used up the last little bit of strength to do it...

: So I can't give up now! For myself, and for my friend!

And with that, my pursuit of survival began... First up was to start looking for a way out of there.

That's...a rocket, and a tank... I'd better not think too much about what I'm seeing down here.

This is...a desk. It's probably the one that fell down with me.

Is that...an airplane? How'd something like that wind up in the school's garbage pit?

*Rattle rattle*

It's locked...

*Rattle rattle*

No matter how many times I pushed or pulled or kicked at it, it didn't budge.

: Getting out of here isn't gonna be that easy...

Well, if I'm not getting out of here anytime soon...

I decided to look around for some food.

: There's plenty of food here, but it's all rotten...

But that was pointless, too.

Next I searched for some water.

: How can I be sure which liquids I can drink, and which ones are an all-around bad idea...?

Again, pointless...

: I feel like I'm blocked in on all sides.

But that's still not enough reason to give up. Because...!

: Because I'm still alive! As long as I'm alive, I'll never give up!

After making that proud declaration, the next thing I decided to do was...

...go to sleep.

My sleep was deep and uninterrupted. That was my only way to preserve what little strength I had left, after not being able to eat or drink. I can't be sure, but I think at least a full day had to have passed. And all I did was sleep and sleep...

It was like I was waiting for some kind of sign to come falling out of the sky. However... What fell from the sky wasn't a sign. Not exactly...

*GACRUNCH*

: What the--!?

The strange sound pierced my silent isolation, jarring me awake.

As I watched, the pile of garbage jostled and formed an odd shape...

: Did something fall down over there...?

Something fell from up above... What could it have been?

: Did a giant piece of trash just fall down here...?

I carefully stretched my hand out toward whatever it was that had tumbled down here with me...

Music fades out.

???: A giant piece of trash? Rude.

before she even emerged from the pile of garbage, I knew who it was...

: This place smells awful.
: K-Kyoko!?
: You look like you're doing better than I expected...
: Wh-What are you doing here?
: Isn't it obvious? I'm here to help you.
: I'm glad to hear that, Kyoko... Umm...you've got a bit of garbage in your hair...

She gave her head a quick, sharp shake to get rid of the trash, then faced me again...

: First, I have something for you.

: Go ahead and eat it. We can talk once you're finished.
: ...! Th-Thank you!

I snatched the bread and water that she was holding out for me. Within seconds, it was in my mouth and making its way toward my stomach.

: Whew, that really hit the spot! Now I've got all the energy I need to keep going!

: So you still haven't given up, then.
: Of course not! After all, the fact that I can keep going forward is about all I'm good at...
: Well, that's not such a bad thing to be good at.
: But Kyoko... Why'd you come to rescue me?

: To pay a debt. Or, no...to atone.
: Atone...?
: During the trial, even though you knew I was lying, you didn't say anything.
: So...you knew that I knew...
: But even though I knew, I did nothing to help you.

: I...abandoned you.
: Don't say that! You didn't abandon me!
: No, that's exactly what I did. I abandoned you in order to save my own life. You were trying to save me, and I couldn't bring myself to do the same for you.
: But listen, not that I'm trying to make excuses, but...there was a [reason that I had to survive] no matter the cost.

> reason that I had to survive

: Why did you have to survive?

: I'll tell you. I'll tell you everything... The reason I have to survive...
: ...is so that I can do what I came to this school to do.
: I made up my mind to come to Hope's Peak Academy for one [very important reason].

> very important reason

: So you have some reason for coming to Hope's Peak?

: That's right. At least, I did, once.
: Once...?
: Until recently...I'd forgotten what it was.

You forgot? But thats...!

: I have no memory of what I am.
: You have no memory...? You mean...
: Amnesia...?

: Then...is it really true? You lost your memory?
: Do you remember, Makoto? Do you remember the first thing that happened to each of us as soon as we arrive at this school?

The first thing...?

: You're talking about when we fainted, right? I fainted, and when I woke up...I was trapped here.

: I fainted, too. And when *I* woke up...I noticed a strange feeling of...separation within myself. A disconnect.
: Thinking back on it now, at that point my memory was gone. At that time...I'd forgotten. I couldn't remember why I'd come to this school, and I couldn't remember what my "ultimate" ability was.
: But...what would make you forget all that?
: Strange, isn't it? It's hard to imagine it happened by chance. It seems much too convenient.
: Are you saying you think you lost your memory because...?

: I don't think. I'm positive it was the work of the mastermind. They stole my memory...
: B-But...why would they want to do that?
: There's only one reason I can come up with. Because of my purpose, and my ability. Somehow, they would interfere with the mastermind's plans.

So the mastermind just...stole them from you?

: And it could also mean...somehow, my memories may be connected to the mystery of this school, and the mastermind. Which is why I have to get them back. That's why I've been investigating things by myself this whole time.
: But if what you say is true, why didn't you ask the rest of us to help you?
: If I did that, and we all worked as one, the mastermind would have noticed right away. Plus... There's always the chance that the mastermind is actually one of us...
: Well, don't make too big a deal of it. It's just a possibility. But since it *is* a possibility, we can't ignore it, right?

The mastermind...one of us... If she believed that, then of course she couldn't trust anyone around her. In which case, it only makes sense that she would look into her missing memory by herself.

: That being said, there was a limit to what I could do by myself. Which is why I asked you to help me.
: But...why me?
: Because among everyone, you were least likely to be the mastermind. That was just intuition, but...
: I-I see... Your intuition was right, though. There's no way an ordinary kid like me could've been the mastermind.

Music cuts out.

: I understand... I should...understand everything. My goal isn't to get out of here... It's...to stay here.

: Gh...!

It's just like the dream I had before, but... Why did that just happen...?

: Are you okay?
: O-Oh, yeah...it's nothing.

It *is* nothing, right...? ...

: Even now, I still trust you, you know? It's just... I'm not used to relying on others.
: I know I never asked you for help the right way, so I understand if you're not convinced...

Honestly, I *was* convinced. I think...that's just her personality.

: You said you had a reason for doing all that investigating on your own... So...how'd that turn out? Were you able to remember anything?
: I think there's still a lot I don't remember. But at the very least...

: ...I was finally able to recall [my purpose, and my ability].

> my purpose, and my ability

: You mentioned your ability...
: My ability--what everyone should have known me for...

: I'm the Ultimate Detective.

The Ultimate...Detective?

: And the reason I came to Hope's Peak Academy... There was [someone I had to find] here in the school.

> someone I had to find

: You had to find someone...? Who?
: Well... It was the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy.
: The headmaster!? Why did you want to find the headmaster!?

: Because he's my father.
: What!?
: I was separated from him as a child. As it turns out, he became the headmaster of Hope's Peak.

Kyoko's dad...is Hope's Peak's headmaster...!?

: Then that explains... When Alter Ego told us how he thought the headmaster was involved...

: I'll find a way...
: Huh?
: No matter what it takes...I will find the headmaster. No matter the cost...
: Kyoko? What's going on...?

: My memory hadn't come back at that point. But when he said that, I felt...strange. It makes perfect sense now, of course, since my whole purpose for coming here was to find him.
: That makes sense...
: But listen, Makoto. I want to make this perfectly clear, so there's no misunderstanding...
: I said the headmaster wasn't the mastermind, but I didn't say that to protect him. I only said what I felt based on what I'd seen when I snuck into the headmaster's room.
: Then...what did you see in there?

: The room had been ransacked. The shelves were a mess, the desk drawers dumped on the floor... The only conclusion is that someone who didn't know where anything was had been in there.
: You mean...the mastermind, right?
: That was my assumption, yes. And to confirm my suspicion...

: ...I decided to investigate the 2nd floor of the dorms using the key I'd found.
: But...why there?
: Because I also found this in the headmaster's room.
: This is...some kind of map?

: It's a layout of the entirety of Hope's Peak Academy. I found it in the headmaster's room, along with Mukuro's profile and that key. The map showed that the 2nd floor was home to a number of rooms meant for faculty use. Some of the staff must have had to stay overnight from time to time. And I figured the headmaster would have some kind of private room there... I assumed that if that were true, that room would likely hold more clues. So I went to check...
: And that's when I finally remembered. I remembered that my purpose was to find the owner of that room.
: So you went there to see if the headmaster really did have a private room there...

: But once I got there, I noticed that the [2nd floor of the dorms] didn't have any cameras or monitors.

> 2nd floor of the dorms

: So...what was it like? That part of the school, I mean...

: It's hard to describe. All I can say is...
: The moment I saw it, I realized...whatever's going on in this school is more horrific than we ever imagined.
: Wh-What do you mean...?
: I can't explain it. You need to see it for yourself. And I'm sure you'll get your chance soon enough...

It sounds like it must be important. And really ominous...

: Of course, once I got to the 2nd floor of the dorms, there were no cameras, and no monitors. Which is why I had no idea [what was going on] in the rest of the building.

> what was going on

: It has to do with Mukuro Ikusaba, doesn't it?
: Just to be perfectly clear, I didn't kill her. And I know it wasn't you, either.
: I know you're right. But that just means... Everyone but you and me had an alibi. So then who *did* kill her...?
: What I can say for sure is that the mastermind is directly involved. To begin with, the point of the class trial of Mukuro Ikusaba... was to get me killed.
: Get you killed...?

: I stole that key and disappeared, and disappeared, and in retaliation they wanted to draw me out and eliminate me.
: That was the point of the class trial.
: It was...?
: The mastermind knew they couldn't interfere directly.
: You mean...because of the school regulations?
: Exactly.

: The mastermind is adamant about following the rules, and with that rule in place, they couldn't step in. Since they couldn't kill me themselves, they tried to use the class trial to do it.

The mastermind could't step in because of the rules? That makes it sound like...the mastermind themselves is somehow bound by the school regulations.

: There's one other thing I'd like to point out about the murder of Mukuro Ikusaba...
: What's that...?
: There was a point where Mukuro may not have become the victim...

: It could have been [you], Makoto...!

> you

: I could have become the victim...?
: You know what I'm talking about, right?
: Do you mean...?

During the night...?

: I can hear them, you know. The footsteps of the god of death.
: I can hear the god of death as he moves. That ability naturally draws me into cases, just like this.
: Which is exactly what happened with you. I was in the dorms, and I had a sudden sense of dread. I looked down the stairwell...and I saw a white shadow cross the corridor. I gave chase right away. As I followed it, I saw the shadow go into your room...

: I ran into your room, and I saw what was happening. I intervened immediately, of course.
: That wasn't the end of things, of course. I stopped them, but that led to...

: Whoever the masked assailant was, they ended up dead. And their murder was disguised, and the dojo key wound up in my room...

: It all has to be [the work of the mastermind], in an attempt to use the class trial to eliminate me...

> the work of the mastermind

: So all this would mean that whoever killed Mukuro is also the mastermind, right?
: I don't have conclusive evidence, but that's what I think. But that's really bad if true. It means the mastermind can kill whoever they want if they feel like it.
: Wait, but doesn't that create another contradiction? The mastermind wanted to use the class trial to try and kill you cuz they couldn't interfere, right?
: You're right. That *is* a contradiction. And it's not just Mukuro... They needed the class trial to kill me, but seemed ready to kill you in your room... Everything they did is a contradiction.
: So...what does it all mean?

: It means that the mastermind is the one who's been cornered.
: Just a little more... A little more, and I should be able to figure out the mastermind's identity.

: The identity of...the other Ultimate Despair.
: The *other* Ultimate Despair...?
: There's no doubt that Mukuro was the Ultimate Despair, and that she's dead. But I don't think the Ultimate Despair is just one person.
: It's not...?

: If you think about it, "the Ultimate Despair" seems to implicate whoever caused that event.
: You're talking about...
: ...what happened a year ago--the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history.

The Tragedy... Whoever's responsible for that... They're the Ultimate Despair?

: That despicable group whose only purpose and motivation comes from despair...
: Then they're...
: Make no mistake...

Music cuts out.

: They're the root of all the evil that has forced us to go through this.

: *That* is the Ultimate Despair. And that is our real enemy.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 19, 2016

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

And this is why they dropped the Re:Action thing in the second game. That was way too stupid to keep.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

School Mode Free Time Roundup #9: Celestia Ludenburg

: Before we start the game's final chapter, let's go ahead and finish off the last available Free Time Roundup. Today, we'll be going through Celeste's events. She has 6 events but for whatever reason they are all very short.

> Spend time together

: I truly frighten myself. To captivate even insignificant little creatures like yourself...

I spent some time with Celeste... Celeste and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Antique Doll: A porcelain dool. Due to the exquisite craftsmanship of the doll and its clothing, many people still collect and prize them to this very day.

: Interesting! The gods heard my prayer, and my wish has been granted! Hmhmhm. This is all because of my daily sympathy and compassion, is it not?

Seeing Celeste so please with something I gave her makes me happy!

: Makoto, I would like to share something with you.
: Huh? What is it...?
: My perfect gambling strategy.
: Is there really such a thing!?

: Of course there is. Are you ready? Please pay attention. Whatever the game, you must have a mind for strategy. This will allow you to increase your odds of winning. However, the exciting part about gambling is that there is a power which can overwhelm any strategy.
: There is...
: That power is...luck.
: Luck...

: There are only two types of luck--good and bad. There is no in-between. And that luck is built into every human at the moment of conception. Like a computer program.
: Some call it fate. The bottom line is, luck is life.
: Do you see what I am saying?
: You mean...that's your "perfect strategy"?

: Correct. You see, I was programmed to have good luck when it comes to gambling. This is why I have never lost.
: So that's all there is to it...?
: You are the Ultimate Lucky Student, yes? Does this perhaps exceed my own luck...? One day, I hope to put that to the test.
: Hmhm. Well then, have a nice day. *leaves*

Without another word, Celeste quietly disappeared.

I'd say my life's been more back luck than good luck lately. Gambling's probably not a great idea for me...

: This event gives us SP+1.
: The second event takes place in the dojo.

: Oh, you wish to stay close to me?
: Heh-heh. I am not surprised.

I spent some time with Celeste. Celeste and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Scarab Brooch: The scarab was considered to be sacred by many ancient societies. It's better known today as...the dung beetle.

: Ah, are you paying tribute to me? How delightful...

I get the impression that she liked it. That's good...

: Say, Makoto...do you like mahjong?
: Ummm...I've never actually played.
: Is that so? A pity. I was hoping we might play together.
: Are you good at it?
: Good? No, I am not merely good. I once payed a game of Russian roulette mahjong and won.
: Russian roulette...?

: It was a truly fierce contest, put on by a half-insane billionaire in the basement of his mansion. My opponents were a fierce old man and a silver-haired boy who was said to have the devil's own luck. We played with a modified rule set. I remember well the glass tiles we used...
: And you won...?
: I defeated them both at once. I will never forget the angry, twisted looks on their faces. The crowd that had been invited to watch became positively riotous. Nobody could believe I had won. Hmhmhm. That is one of my fonder memories...

I'm really glad I didn't agree to play mahjong with her... Unable to comprehend Celeste's fearsome past, I went back to my room.

: The third event takes place in the art room.

> Yes, definitely

Everlasting Bracelet: A handcrafted item made with needle and thread. They say that once you put it on, it will never come off again.

: ...Do you understand the sense of gratitude I am trying to convey to you?

I get the impression that she liked it. That's good...

: Celestia Ludenburg. Celestia...Ludenburg...
: What are you doing...?
: No matter how many times I hear it, I never tire of hearing my own name. Isn't it so splendidly charming?
: Oh yeah, I've been wondering about that. Why *that* name?

: ...Why?
: I mean, is it from something? Why'd you pick it?
: I did not *pick* it. My name was given to me by my mother and father...
: Come on, that can't be your real name, can it?

: It is, indeed, my real name. Make no mistake about that.
: Okay, so your parents gave you that name?
: That's right. My father is French nobility, and my mother is pary of a German family of musicians.

There's no way that's true...

: But okay, so were you born in France or Germany?

: Tochigi.

Now we're getting somewhere...

: I was born in the capital of Tochigi, which is known for its delicious gyoza. Do you know of which city I speak?

So it's the capital of Tochigi, and it's famous for its gyoza...

: Hell if I knew, I had to look this one up.

> Utsunomiya

: It's Utsunomiya, right?

: That is correct. You have proven you are roughly as intelligent as an elementary school student.
: Or a high schooler, maybe...?
: You may be surprised to learn that I absolutely adore gyoza. I love its stench, its base vulgarity.
: So as you can imagine, I'm quite disappointed that I will never taste my hometown's gyoza again.
: Never say never, you know...? Once we get out of here--

Music cuts out.

: We will never get out of here. How long will you continue with this ridiculousness? You should give up.
: If you don't, it can only lead to murder... *leaves*

Celeste's eerie words stuck with me long after she'd left. The more I talk to her, the more I just don't understand her...

: This event unlocks the skill Raise. This isn't a trial skill. Instead, it gives you additional Monocoins when you find them out in the school and acts passively, meaning it doesn't take SP.
: The fourth event takes place at the pool.

> Yes, definitely

Pagan Dancer: A mature game designed for the Funplane, which allows you to become a massive god handing out divine punishment to puny mortals. Good luck finding a copy...

: This gives us a "good" response.

: Hello, Makoto. I must say, I am quite troubled...
: Huh? How come?
: I'd like you to teach me something.

: I want you to teach me how to play shogi.
: Oh, uh... Sorry, I don't know how to play, either.
: I see... You really are useless, aren't you?
: Uh, okay... But I'm surprised you don't know how to play. Is it because there's no, like, shogi gambling circuit?
: Oh, there most certainly is.
: What, really?

: But it is all underground. It is rather shady, all things considered. I have tried my own hand at it, naturally.
: Wait, even though you don't know how to play?
: That is why I wish to learn now. I placed my pieces without even thinking. What on Earth was I doing...?
: And you still tried to win an underground shogi tournament?
: Tried? Oh, no. I did win.
: You won!?

: I didn't really understand, but apparently my final opponent was infamously powerful. She was...rather odd. She was a voluptuous woman who dressed as an exotic French maid.
: But...how did you win?
: Beginner's luck, perhaps?
: I don't think beginner's luck works in shogi...
: Hmhmhm. Is that so?

Yup. The more I learn about Celeste, the less I understand her... Reeling from Celeste's fearsome past, I went back to my room.

: The fifth event takes place in the physics lab.

: Well then, shall we have a bit of conversation?
: Ah, but don't misunderstand. I have no affection for you on a personal level.

I spent some time with Celeste... Celeste and I grew a little closer today.

> Yes, definitely

Blueberry Perfume: Very popular with men these days. But to be honest, although it does attract the ladies, most guys hate the smell...

: This gets us a "good" response.

: Hmhmhm. Look how closely we have become close friends, Makoto.

Have we...?

: So let me share with you something... I will tell you about the biggest crisis I ever faced in my gambling life.

Biggest...? You had a gambling crisis? What happened...?

: A shadowy organization was hosting a mysterious tournament... The game in which I participated was called King of Liars.
: King of Liars...?
: It was quite a severe game. When you enter, they strip you of all your assets. Money, property, everything. You must use your wisdom, cunning, and luck to battle through challenge after challenge. For the final match, I had to face off with an odd duo... They called themselves the Honest Woman and the Liar Genius.
: Wow, they sound pretty scary...

: Oh, that part is not important. But during a break, I was careless and spilled some tea on my clothes. I was terrified that the stain would never come out. That was a very difficult time in my life.
: I was forced to win more quickly than I wanted, so that I could rush to the cleaners. I was able to get the stain out, but it was perilously close...
: If I had waited even another hour, I would have been forced to throw out my favorite dress.

That was her "crisis"? The biggest crisis she ever faced...? I just...don't know what to say. Positively dizzy from Celeste's fearsome past, I went back to my room.

: This event gives us the skill Menacing Focus. It increases your Focus Gauge by 5 Stars. Useful if you use Focus a lot, but only if you're willing to spend 5 Free Times with Celeste before the end of Chapter 3.
: The sixth and final event starts off in the Laundry Room.

> Yes, definitely

Love Status Ring: Wear it on your right hand, you're looking for love. On your left, you've found it. On both...well, that's just asking for catastrophe.

: This gives us a "great" response.

: Umm...Mr. Makoto Naegi...?
: Wh-What's with the formality?
: Well...you see...I was hoping we could talk. Just the two of us. Could you come to my room, please?
: Y-Your room!?
: ...I will be waiting. *leaves*

Wh-What am I supposed to make of this? Inviting me to her room all of a sudden... And she seemed almost...shy.

: No, I must have just imagined it...

I did what Celeste asked and headed to her room right away.

: I'm glad you came, Makoto...

So this is Celeste's room...

: Anyway, what's going on? Why'd you ask me to come here?
: I received the results...
: Results...?

: The child growing in my belly... It's yours.
: Wait, sorry. Wrong results.

You can't just say stuff like that!

: Congratulations! You have moved up a rank! You are now C-rank!
: Huh? C-rank...?
: Oh, I have a habit of ranking those around me.
: What kind of habit is that...?

: The most common is D-rank. I have no interest in D-rank. Most everyone at this school fits into that category. The worst is F-rank. If you're F-rank...I pay a special organization to have you killed. Your very existence is unforgivable.

I hope she's joking... She doesn't *sound* like she's joking, but I hope she's joking...

: Conversely, the very best is A-rank. But among everyone I have met, across all countries, I have never even found a B-rank, let alone A-rank.
: So you being promoted to C-rank is a very great honor.
: I-I see...

: Also, when you become C-rank, you gain the right to become my official servant--a knight.
: Wow, I had no idea...
: I have knights all across the world. They are all quite obedient. I recommend you take me up on this offer. If you do your very best as a knight, becoming the first B-rank may well be within your grasp.

: Perhaps even...A-rank... I can't be sure, but I feel like you may have the potential...

I can never tell how much of what she says is a lie, and how much is the truth... But after talking with her so much, I feel like maybe we understand each other a little better...

: Hmhm. So, as a knight, please be prepared to give your life for me.
: Er, I haven't actually decided yet...
: Tch!

Definitely can't let my guard down around her... I guess I can call her my friend, but this is one friend I need to be careful with... And I don't see that changing anytime soon. I left Celeste's room exhausted and dragged myself back to my own room.

: This final event gives us SP+1.
: It also gives us Star on our Report Card and a bronze Playstation trophy titled The French Disconnection.

Celestia Ludenburg's Character Art.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 19, 2016

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Ok, the mahjong kid is Akagi. What are the other references supposed to be?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

The underground Shogi competition and its maid are from 81diver.

The "King of Liar" competition is actually the titular Liar Game. The live action TV adaptation is pretty fun, if you can find it.
Edit: There is a sort of mistranslation here, if you know the source material -- the "genius liar" is "a genius conman" in Japanese, which is exactly what the equivalent character in Liar Game is. I guess it boils down to the same thing, but it makes the reference a little more explicit.

Also, Tochigi is funny because, with the exception for Nikko which is one of the most beautiful places in Japan as well as a prime tourist location, it is one of the prefectures that's considered too boring and backwards to live in.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 10, 2016

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

SardonicTyrant posted:

Ok, the mahjong kid is Akagi. What are the other references supposed to be?

The 'King of Liars' one is most likely Liar Game. I've never read it before, but I looked it up and the general plots match from what I remember.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Celeste proves to be just as terrible after you get to know her. I suppose that's intentional because she was not very nice or sympathetic and the game didn't want to accidentally make her seem even a little likeable. 5 free times and only one skill, too.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Ultimate Despair... A group of people who caused The Tragedy one year ago... Those same people put together this killing game and began broadcasting it around the world. The most desperately awful group of people ever... *That* is the mastermind's true identity. Our enemy has finally been revealed... But right now...

: Right now we have to get out of this horrible place. Figuring out the rest of the story can come after.
: Yeah, you're right... Kyoko, do you still have that one thing? Monokuma's "secret tool" that you got from the headmaster's room?
: Of course I do.

: It's an absolutely vital part of ensnaring the mastermind. I would never part with it.
: And it can open any door in the school, right?
: That's right.

Then we should be able to use it on that door, right?

: Hey, Kyoko. We can use that key of yours to open this door, right?
: Let's find out.

Kyoko took out the key with the Monokuma design on it and slid it into the keyhole. And then...

*Click*

: Yes! It opened!
: And now we can get out of here. Let's go.
: Sounds good.

We quickly opened the door and made our escape from the garbage pit.

Finally... We were finally free. But there wasn't even time to take a breath of relief. Because the real fight had just begun...

After leaving the garbage pit, we found ourselves in a tunnel extending straight up, like a chimney. There was a metal ladder leading up into the tunnel. We started climbing the ladder, intent on reaching the surface.

The ladder was impossibly long; I couldn't even see where it ended. We climbed into the darkness... The passage was so dark and cramped, I couldn't even see my own feet beneath me.

: I had no idea we were so far down...
: Don't lose your footing. If you slip, I won't be able to catch you...
: Y-Yeah, I'll be careful...

But now that you said that, I'm getting kind of nervous...

Maybe talking will help keep my mind off it...

: Um, so Kyoko...there's something I wanted to ask you. You said you're the Ultimate Detective, right? So how long have you been doing detective work?
: How long...? Ever since I can remember. I come from a long line of detectives. Detective work is in my blood. There was a time when being a detective was considered a sacred duty. My family's always seen it that way.
: Then...is your family famous?
: Quite the opposite, actually. Even among actual detectives, many people haven't heard of us.
: Huh? But...how come? It's like your family tradition, right? So...
: Because we take pride in it.

Pride...?

: A detective is neither light nor shadow. We represent neither justice nor evil. That is how we can uncover the absolute truth. We stand neutral in all things. And to do that, we have to stand separate from the rest of society. Which is why we've made a conscious effort to conceal our existence.
: A conscious effort...?
: It's kind of old-fashioned, and I can't say it's entirely rational... But it's our family creed, and we do what we must to protect it. Because, like I said, it's our source of pride.

Pride... So that explains...

Before I came here, when I was looking up info about the school online, I never saw anything about her. Because she hid herself on purpose, to protect the pride of her family...

: And yet... I...gave up some of that pride.
: In order to enter Hope's Peak, I had to reveal myself to the school. I did it knowing it was something a true Kirigiri detective would never do.

But the reason you gave up that pride... The reason you would go so far to enter Hope's Peak...

: It was because that's how much you wanted to reconnect with your dad, right? There's no shame in that.
: ...Reconnect...? I had absolutely no desire to reconnect with my father.
: Huh...? B-But...you'd be reuniting after all those years, right? You would've had so much to talk about...
: There's nothing I want to talk to my father about. There is something I want to *say* to him, though.
: No matter what it takes, I have to find him and tell him, face to face...
: Wh-What is it...?

: I want to sever all ties with him.

Sever...?

: The last time I saw him...I was still very young. So I don't remember myself, but apparently he was extremely intelligent. He was in line to become the next head of the Kirigiri family. He was talented, he had a promising future. But he had no interest in detective work. So he cut himself off from the family. Not long after that, my mother died, and he simply...ran away. He went to my grandfather, and they had a huge argument. And young as I was...he left me behind.
: I-I'm sure there was a reason for that. I'm sure your dad wanted to take you with him.
: If that's true, then I need to thank him. Thank him for leaving me... Because unlike him, I take pride in the work I do. I take pride in my family name. So every last part of me is happy he didn't take me with him. If I'd gone with him, I never would have had the chance to become a detective.

I was above Kyoko on the ladder, so I wasn't able to see her expression. So I couldn't tell... I couldn't see how she looked when she said that, what she might have been feeling. All I could tell was that compared to her usual self...she was more talkative. And more emotional.

: I don't blame him, you know. He had his own life to live. That's what anyone in my position might say, right? But it's not true... There's one thing... One thing I can never forgive.

: Really...?
: The way everyone else looked at me. I was never sad about being left behind. Like I said, I think it was a good thing. But when the rest of my family looked at me, they saw something different. They only saw me as the little girl that was abandoned by her father. That's how they see me even to this day. His shadow has been following me my entire life. I'm sick of it. I need him out of my life. I need to step out of his shadow. That's why I have to find him, and tell him we're no longer family. In order to settle the past... In order to remove him from my life forever. I have no doubt he forgot about me years ago.
: B-But...you're family. To just cut him out like that...
: Our only connection is through blood, nothing more. Are we connected by heart and soul? No. Is blood really enough to call someone family?

Only connected by blood, not by heart or soul... I was so shocked to hear her say something like that, I didn't know how to respond. So instead...I said nothing.

I just kept climbing the ladder in complete silence. And after I don't know how long...we finally reached the top.

: Looks like this is it.
: On the other side of this door...Hope's Peak is waiting for us.
: We're...back.
: Remember that hatch on the ground near the trash room? I'm fairly certain that's where we'll come out. I unlocked it earlier, so it should open without much trouble.
: Well, here goes nothin'...

I reached my right hand up and pushed against the hatch.

*Creak*

The hatch opened with ease. And so...

: Looks like we're back...
: But I can't believe how long that ladder was. I'm exhausted...

I can't exactly say we're safe and sound, but...at least we're out of there. Now we're back in Hope's Peak Academy...

: Kyoko...thank you. I never would've gotten out of there without you.

: No thanks necessary. I was just returning the favor.
: So...now what do we do? I'm glad I didn't die, of course, but if the mastermind finds out... And I'm worried about you, too. You helped me, so they might...
: You're worried?
: Y-Yeah, of course.
: Then let's just get a concrete answer.

: Let's ask Monokuma if there's a problem with you escaping.
: W-Wait, that's--!
: If we try to hide, it's only a matter of time till we're found out. And it's not like we can run away.

As she said that, she pointed at the nearby surveillance camera.

: So you're saying rather than stressing out over getting caught, we should just give up now?

: Don't worry. What you think is going to happen, isn't.
: Because the mastermind is the one that's ensnared.

The mastermind is ensnared...

: You said something like that before. What does it mean...?
: The mastermind stood exposed during the investigation into Mukuro's death. There was a moment where the mastermind let their guard down.
: There was...?

: If we can talk to Monokuma, we can confirm it. And it'll be better for us if we go to him directly before he tracks us down. That should help with out negotiations...

...I'm still a little--no, super uneasy about this.

: But...we don't really have a choice, do we?
: Monokuma should be in the gym. Let's get going.

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2016

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The ultimate detective reveal wasn't much of a shocker. Can't remember if it was spoiled earlier or if it is just obvious enough from the story thus far

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Virtue posted:

The ultimate detective reveal wasn't much of a shocker. Can't remember if it was spoiled earlier or if it is just obvious enough from the story thus far

It was so obvious that in Orenronen's thread, some people thought before this reveal that she had to be something else, because being a detective was too obvious.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

BlazeEmblem posted:

It was so obvious that in Orenronen's thread, some people thought before this reveal that she had to be something else, because being a detective was too obvious.

Yeah, I was really surprised for that reason. At least they didn't go all out and have her be affiliated with law enforcement while monokuma repeatedly laughed about the lack of a police response.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Here goes nothing...

: Hey hey hey hey hey hey HEY!

: Kyoko I don't mind so much.
: But Makoto's supposed to be dead! What's HE doing here!?

That's exactly how I thought he'd react... Are we really gonna be okay...?

: You were supposed to be punished! Did Kyoko help you!?
: So what if I did? What will you do?

: If the guilty party is exposed during the class trial, they alone will be executed. It's unfortunate, but that *is* the rule...
: So now I gotta punish you again! And this time I won't leave anything to chance!
: K-Kyoko...!
: Do whatever you feel you have to.
: What!?

: But before you do, let me just say one thing.
: If you execute Makoto, that means you lose. Not that that matters to you, right?
: Huh? I...lose?
: You! Explain yourself! What do you mean by that!?

: Well you set up this latest class trial yourself, right? I was getting in your way, so you wanted an excuse to kill me.
: I was supposed to be chosen as the blackened and then executed, right?
: H-Hey, what are you talking about?
: But when Makoto chose to overlook my lie, your plan came crashing down. The results of the trial weren't at all what you were expecting. Because you never imagined that in that position, one person would protect another like that.
: And in response to that unexpected development...

: ...you reacted by proclaiming *Makoto* the blackened and trying to execute *him*. You made that choice out of desperation. No, more than that... You must have realized that Makoto, who refused to be manipulated, was a threat to you, as well.
: But then there was *another* unexpected development waiting for you. An entity that would throw a wrench, so to speak, in your precious execution machinery.
: Alter Ego...
: You never imagined the possibility of a being that could come to our aid even after you'd "killed" it.

: Now, here's the absolute truth. Makoto didn't kill Mukuro. You did.
: So executing Makoto for it would surely be a violation of your rules, which I know you love so much. If the blackened is exposed, they alone will be executed. That's what you told us, right?

: Hmph. And that means I lose? You talk a big game. You're saying the blackened is me and not Makoto?
: And you can prove this, right?
: No, I can't.

Don't just say it like that!

: What is this, a comedy routine? To make such bold claims without a shred of evidence...
: I don't have any right now, but with a little more time I guarantee I'll find some.
: Because no matter how deeply you try to bury it, there is only ever one absolute truth.
: And now you're trying to talk like some kind of famous detective type?

: If Makoto really was the killer, he never would have come to you willingly like this. He would have feared for his life, feared another execution. He would have tried to run and hide. He would have been gripped by the despair you so love to inspire.
: But here we are--confronting you with nothing but hope in our hearts.
: And that's supposed to be enough to convince me in the absence of evidence?
: It's not you I'm trying to convince.

: If you were to execute Makoto now, everyone out there watching this would be extremely displeased.
: Imagine what everyone out there would think if you killed Makoto... They would assume that you killed him because what we said is exactly right.

: Despair can never kill hope.
: Grh--!
: Of course, you can say we're just making this all up. You're welcome to prove us wrong. No, you have no choice *but* to prove it. Because if you kill Makoto without proving your own innocence, you'll be accepting your own defeat.
: Gh-grg-grah!
: If you want to earn our despair "fair and square", then I suggest you take my advice.

: ...So? What is this "advice" of yours?
: To do Mukuro's trial over again. Only this time, you follow the school regulations to ensure a fair trial.

: It's time for one last showdown--one final battle between hope...and despair!
: Well? That would make for a proper climax, wouldn't you say?

A fair trial...one last showdown... In other words... This would be out chance to expose the true identity of Mukuro's killer--of the mastermind themselves! But...what reason would the mastermind have to accept the challenge? They'll probably just execute me without another word...

Music fades out.

: ... ...

: Kehehe... Interesting.
: Beary interesting indeed!
: ...Beary?

: Oh, I was getting bored, so I decided to change things up a little. So, time for bear jokes! Now, what you've suggested might be pawsible. It would certainly make for one honey of a climax!
: Does that mean you accept?
: If we do things your way, that'll be enough to convince you *and* the viewers, right? And it would cause you unbearable despair, right? Then I'm prebeared to agree to your terms!
: Will your hope win out? Or will my desbear claim victory...?

: Let's have one final grizzly showdown!

He agreed...! Then we still have a shot at this...!

: But this is the long-awaited climax, right? Just guessing the killer is bearly a fitting end. So for this final face-off, you'll have to unearth all the mysteries that have been bearied here!
: All the mysteries...?
: That's right. Every last mystery that's pawing around the school. If you can do that...
: ...then that'll be enough to koalafy as a victory for you!

: That's what we've been trying to do all along...
: Okay, well, good! Then let's bear it all! If you can claw your way to the truth of Mukuro's death, AND solve the mysteries of this school...
: ...then you win!
: But if you *can't* do all of that...
: We'll all face execution. Right?
: Kehehe... I can bearly contain my excitement... When you learn the whole truth...what kind of despair will you show me?
: We're as excited as you are, I'm sure.
: When we've uncovered every last truth, how will the Ultimate Despair reveal their own despair...?

I honestly can't believe how this has all turned out...

Music fades out.

: But before we get started, I want to clarify one more thing. Do you remember the rule? When one student kills another, that's when a class trial is held.
: I remember that, fur sure. So what?
: I just want to confirm, that *is* what you said, right? And it's a true statement?

: Kehehe. You don't have to be so suspicious. I've said it before, but it bears repeating... Everything is based on the school regulations. And having a trial for Mukuro is no exception to that.

Mukuro's trial is no exception? Then...it's part of the regulations? Which would have to mean that whoever killed Mukuro...

: Kehehe... It's a very polarizing approach, I know, but--okay, enough puns. Anyway, here's a hint... I'm sure I told you this already, but...this killing game began with sixteen participants, all of them high school students. And the only people to take a single step in Hope's Peak since the killing game began...are those sixteen students.

: Are you telling the truth?
: ... ...
: Why'd he go quiet all of a sudden...?
: ...Puhu... Puhuhu...

: I'm done talking! I got nothin' left to say to you! So get lost, would ya!?
: Why so mad!?
: He seems...emotionally unstable.
: Leave me alone! Get outta here!
: O-Okay, I'm going. I just... You're really gonna let me go?

: Hmph. I don't even care anymore. You're all gonna get your punishment later anyway. I need to start getting it ready. A super duper extra special punishment, overflowing with despair...
: Puhu... Puhuhu... Puhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu...
: Come on, Makoto. Let's go.
: Okay...
: Puhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu...

Monokuma's unstable laughter seemed to cling to us as we walked away. And just like that, we were out of the gym.

...I could hardly believe it, but...somehow I ended up not getting executed. I still had my life, and we still had a chance... Overall, things turned out way better than expected.

Once again, I was in Kyoko's debt.

: Kyoko...thank you. Everything I have right now is because of you.
: Don't thank me just yet. The real battle is still ahead of us.
: Yeah, true...

: But still, I'm glad it worked out. I wasn't sure it the enemy would accept my proposal.
: B-But honestly, why would the mastermind agree to that? I mean, they don't stand to gain anything from a final showdown, do they?
: They had no choice but to accept.
: It's all because of that one moment that the mastermind [let down their guard], like I said.

> let down their guard

: So when was it that the mastermind let their guard down...?

: I wasn't there to hear it myself, but do you remember what the mastermind said? They said they had hijacked the airwaves to broadcast our school life to the outside world, right?
: Y-Yeah, they definitely said that...
: And what did you think when you heard that? Pretty hard to believe, right?
: Well...I mean, the idea of actually taking over the airwaves seems so...unbelievable.
: You don't exactly read about something like that happening very often, so it's hard to imagine. In other words, that kind of thing is extremely difficult to pull off.
: And yet somehow...the mastermind was able to do it.

: But think of it another way--there must have been some reason they *had* to do something that difficult.
: A reason...?
: They had to show the world something, no matter the cost--us killing each other.
: They wanted to show the world...?

: The mastermind has been very adamant about not killing us directly, but forcing us to kill each other. And all their rules and regulation were designed to encourage that.
: Yeah, that makes sense. If those stupid regulations didn't exist, nobody would've killed anybody...
: So the mastermind's ultimate goal was to make us kill each other, and show that off to the world.
: But...why?

: To prove a point, most likely.
: Prove...a point?
: The outside world has a name for the students of Hope's Peak, right? A certain concept...
: You're talking about "hope," right?
: And for those of us who represent hope to kill each other and sink into despair...

: The mastermind wants the world to see that, to try and prove that despair is better than hope. That's their goal, as the Ultimate Despair.
: ...What?

They want to prove that despair...is better than hope?

: But that...that's ridiculous!
: You're right. It *is* ridiculous, completely irrational. It's the kind of thing that nobody but those who call themselves the Ultimate Despair would devise. That group whose only purpose and motivation comes from despair...
: B-But--! Is that really their only reason for making the rest of us suffer!?

: I know how angry it must make you. And yet...that same motivation is what led to the mastermind revealing their weakness.
: Because their goal is to broadcast this killing game to the world...the mastermind has had to be more particular than is reasonable about their own regulations. If the mastermind simply ignored their rules, this wouldn't have been a "game," but a one-sided slaughter.
: At least, that's how those who are watching this would have seen it.
: And that's why the mastermind couldn't kill any of us themselves?
: That is precisely the reason. No matter how much they may hate what I'm doing, I haven't violated a single one of their regulations.

: Junko broke the rules, so she was punished. But in my case, they couldn't lay a finger on me. So instead, they tried to use the class trial, following all their proper rules, to get me killed. They began a trial that didn't have a right answer, then made me out to be the killer.
: But even that didn't work...

: Yes, thanks to you. And due to that failure, the mastermind took yet another risk.
: And when that fact was exposed on live TV to the entire outside world...the mastermind had to accept your suggestion?
: To prove to the world that despair is better than hope, they have to defeat us in perfect form...
: It would only do the mastermind harm to have it shown that they'd violated their own regulations.
: But all of that was a hunch, right? And you were still able to get the mastermind to accept your challenge...
: Well, it's only thanks to you that we got that chance. Because you believed in me, another path opened up.
: Still, I can't believe how much of the mastermind's thoughts and plans you were able to figure out. I didn't have the slightest clue...

: In the end, though, I couldn't prove any of it. It was just my reasoning. Essentially, I was making a bet.
: But it looks like I got it right. This time, at least, I won the bet.

She let out a quick sigh. I took it as a small sign of relief.

: To be honest, I haven't been that nervous in a long time.
: I totally couldn't tell you were nervous at all... You seemed totally confident from the moment we decided to go talk to him.

: Well, presenting a strong demeanor is a fundamental part of negotiation and persuasion, wouldn't you say? Plus, if I'd showed my uneasiness, that would have just made you that much more uneasy.

Yeah, you're probably right. How pathetic...

: Anyway, we can't relax just yet. All we've done is earn another chance to fight. We have to win this time.
: Or everything we've gone through will have been for nothing...
: You're right...

If we can't defeat the mastermind, it'll cost us our lives...! There is no option except to win!

: But before we begin the final battle, we have to tell the others what's going on.
: True, but now we know who our real enemy is. All we have to do now is work together with everyone to destroy the mastermind...!
: Work together with everyone...
: Is that really possible?
: Anyway, right now we have to go find the others. They're probably in the dorms somewhere. Shall we go?

FPzero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 19, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It helps to finally have the whole thing spelled out for us but Makoto grates on me a bit here.

Mainly because I figured most of this all out during the premise (not the Ultimate Despair bit naturally) and him asking these questions is like 'duh, duh duh duh DUH! Less superfluous chatting, more getting stuff done now that we're finally in the final stretch!'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

It helps to finally have the whole thing spelled out for us but Makoto grates on me a bit here.

Mainly because I figured most of this all out during the premise (not the Ultimate Despair bit naturally) and him asking these questions is like 'duh, duh duh duh DUH! Less superfluous chatting, more getting stuff done now that we're finally in the final stretch!'

My problem is more that it's a bunch of explanatory text that doesn't explain anything.
It was just a meaningless wall of Despair.
And the one thing that was explained had already been explained previously with the tv

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BlazeEmblem posted:

I love it, it's such a non-surprise that it wraps around to being a genuine surprise. Though I have to wonder if Kirigiri ever considered the possibility of being the Ultimate Detective before she realized that that's exactly who she is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
FP asked me to post here so he can post the next update on a new page. Go watch the Ace Combat 2 video I have him on for where he spoils the poo poo out of the rest of Dangan Ronpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Well I got what I asked for I guess. That video does actually have me spoiling some aspects of what's to come do avoid it if you're reading along for the first time.

Update on the next page.

goddamn it crow

• Locked thread